Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3349364 - 07/23/11 08:41 PM Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done.  
Foucault Offline
Foucault  Offline

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover/17-4590/

Hundreds to potentially thousand of people will see this Quick Look and know that this game is a broken, buggy, and non-intuitive mess.

Way to fix the game up before North American launch.

Last edited by Foucault; 07/24/11 03:32 AM.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3349383 - 07/23/11 09:05 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Well that's what it is, fair enough. I love this game

#3349393 - 07/23/11 09:20 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
It works for me. reading

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3349418 - 07/23/11 10:03 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
"ILL two . . . Illinois two . . . it's Russian or something"

Well, there goes the non-niche market.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3349524 - 07/23/11 11:53 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
Originally Posted By: Snapper
It works for me. reading

yup,

same here, never had a prob entering a server.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3349552 - 07/24/11 12:35 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

That was quite an entertaining watch, in a 'Bill and Ted Does WWII Aviation - Whoah' kind of way - thanks for the link.

Yep, shame about the MP bugs at the end although their 'quick look' (at 50 minutes!) covered quite a lot of ground.

I'm not sure how many casual 'Does this game support a PS/3 controller rumble effect' audience these kind of reviews will lose, or even if that's a bad thing for either party, i.e. rightly or wrongly this game isn't a pick up and play thing just yet.

I wonder what would happen if they did get online (they were trying the Syn server I think), that might have made good tv smile

#3349561 - 07/24/11 12:45 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: kilosierra]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Multiplayer works great for me. There is a sound bug, but turning off AI sound or Trees is a temporary fix until the devs fix it.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3349582 - 07/24/11 01:33 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
How many people are on the servers for CloD? I don't do multiplayer often and have parked CloD for a while in any case, but on the few occasions I looked online in RoF I was surprised by how few people there were.

Beyond gliding distance
#3349644 - 07/24/11 03:31 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
Foucault Offline
Foucault  Offline

What all you folks fail to understand is that the Giant Bomb guys have literally done hundreds of these Quick Looks and I have watched many, many of them. I can guarantee you those gents have rarely encountered such substantial problems just getting into a multiplayer match on console or PC.

CoD is a frigging joke compared to nearly every other modern video game of note that I can think of.

While you may all be willing to discount these individuals' credibility and expertise, it is clear that they are both somewhat familiar with sim games and the kind of complexity and gear necessary for flight sims. Yes, they were goofing on games. That's what Giant Bomb does, but that experienced and competent console and PC gamers could not figure out how to get into a multiplayer game is pretty telling and pretty damning.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
4GB DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD
#3349700 - 07/24/11 05:28 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: Foucault
That's what Giant Bomb does, but that experienced and competent console and PC gamers could not figure out how to get into a multiplayer game is pretty telling and pretty damning.

Foucalt I have been one of the more critical players of this game and taken lots of heat for my negative comments.

But seriously man.. "pretty telling and pretty damning" ?? Was some felony crime committed in relation to the creation of this

game?? And just whom is this damning evidence supposed to condemn to Hades?? Anyway, i watched the video, They sure enough looked

like they know video games even if they dont know beans about WW2 aircraft. But looked like they were having fun with it

up until the MP problems.

Last edited by Weasel_Keeper; 07/24/11 07:06 AM. Reason: Agree to disagree, and move along.
#3349737 - 07/24/11 07:44 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I just spent 3hrs on Multiplayer and had a great time. I'll grant you selecting Multiplayer isn't intuitive and should be addressed, but certainly doesn't warrant an epic failure. The sim was definitely released before it was finished, but I have no doubt in time it will be the next WW2 aircombat sim benchmark. ROF was in the same boat when it was released before it was ready, now it has most the bugs and features working. The same will hold true for COD.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3349793 - 07/24/11 11:59 AM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
I have not had an issue joining an online game since the first patch, I have in all honesty been suprised at how well it has been playing in relation to my pings, sound issues not withstanding of course. Give it time and it will hopefully mature into all it hints at!

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3349806 - 07/24/11 12:38 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Chivas]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chivas
I just spent 3hrs on Multiplayer and had a great time. I'll grant you selecting Multiplayer isn't intuitive and should be addressed, but certainly doesn't warrant an epic failure. The sim was definitely released before it was finished, but I have no doubt in time it will be the next WW2 aircombat sim benchmark. ROF was in the same boat when it was released before it was ready, now it has most the bugs and features working. The same will hold true for COD.

We know that they will continue to develop it, but it doesn't meant the sim will become great. I struggle to enjoy vanilla Il-2 because the mods have spoilt me, and there are so many modded features I struggle to fly without. CloD could be just the same; we have no gurantee the team will deliver in bringing the game up to the exceptional standard we expected: photorealistic aesthetically, and groundbreaking in terms of gameplay.
I fully agree that this could happen, and believe me I hope it does, but TBH the team have scant to show in 5 months of development in way of significant, tangible improvement.

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3349944 - 07/24/11 05:44 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
Foucault Offline
Foucault  Offline

Let me rephrase this, because you guys just aren't getting it. Irrespective of your experiences with multiplayer and your time invested in sussing out how to make it work effectively, if at all, these folks at Giant Bomb are experienced console and PC gamers who could not figure out how to use one of the key features of this game.

How do you think some less experienced or even novice individual is going to fare when met with CoD's byzantine UI and setups? Do you think someone who has plunked down his 50 bucks and is not completely invested beforehand is going to wade through this garbage UI to even get at the multiplayer experience proper?

Maddox Games has frankly taken a significant step backward with respect to the multiplayer experience from IL-2:1946. In comparison to every other multiplayer experience that I have seen or played, CoD is, to be frank, nowhere near a modern experience and seems barely functional. This reflects very poorly on the game as a whole and Maddox Games in particular. It is also exceedingly frustrating to me in that I have held Maddox Games out as an exemplar of how to do things right and how to maintain relationships with its fans.

CoD is a huge disappointment and Giant Bomb's experience is demonstrative of the game's failings.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
4GB DDR2 RAM
250GB SATA HD
#3349951 - 07/24/11 05:58 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Foucault]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Foucault, so let's say we all agree with you 100% and we completely get what you are saying: What do you want to happen now?

#3349962 - 07/24/11 06:19 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: bisher]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: bisher
Well that's what it is, fair enough. I love this game

No I do get it, but what are you gonna do about it.....wait; this game's state is not static

Do you think Maddox Games is happy with the state the game is in, this is not a rhetorical question.

#3349997 - 07/24/11 07:08 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: bisher]  
Herr_Kapitan Offline
Herr_Kapitan  Offline

I personally think at the back of all the complaining is a secret fear that this game is going to be dumped before it is truly fixed.

After all it hasn't received a lot of love the way it was hacked before release to accommodate UBI's anti epilepsy filter (it you believe that) and in addition Ubisoft have shown no inclination towards the success of this sim. No advertising before the Euro release and even less if possible before the US release.

I think the truth is UBI want shot of this whole debacle, and once they have at least broken even financially they will withdraw all support.

If that happens where will the funding come from to support MG's faltering steps to really complete this sim?

Bryan.

#3350066 - 07/24/11 08:34 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Herr_Kapitan]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: Herr_Kapitan
I personally think at the back of all the complaining is a secret fear that this game is going to be dumped before it is truly fixed.

Bryan.

OR is there a secret fear that this game will in time be fixed and become the premier air combat game/sim???

OMG i am starting to sound like... You know who i am talking about. eek

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3350112 - 07/24/11 09:35 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Herr_Kapitan]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

After all it hasn't received a lot of love the way it was hacked before release to accommodate UBI's anti epilepsy filter (it you believe that) and in addition Ubisoft have shown no inclination towards the success of this sim. No advertising before the Euro release and even less if possible before the US release.

I think the truth is UBI want shot of this whole debacle, and once they have at least broken even financially they will withdraw all support.

If that happens where will the funding come from to support MG's faltering steps to really complete this sim?

Bryan.

Of course that is what all the complaining and whining is about, i feel it. this was the great white hope and its struggling at the moment, ALL us simmers want COD to rise to take IL2s crown. How can we not?
Ive been accused of "wanting it to fail" and "having a agenda" why would i want it to fail, im a WW2 flight simmer??? i also have no clue how you can have a agenda against a flight sim? screwy

I was playing online today for 3 hours and for the most part it was ok, some "great" moments, but it looked UGLY(no trees) and the bugs kept popping up and bringing me down to earth, and i wondered how would someone new to COD feel? confused and disappointed i would of guessed.
Yes sometimes i #%&*$# and moan about COD and its development, buts its through frustration and anger at the devs for making everything so hard to use from the GUI, skins, loadouts and a host of other things, and for making what seems to me totally baffling development choices like no CO-OPs, the trees, the sound, landscape, no campaigns, 64bit, DX11 and for all good things we thought we was going to get

for the most part i worry that's its not going to make it, for all of Luthiers talk, and there is nothing to take its place. sigh

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 07/24/11 09:38 PM.
#3350118 - 07/24/11 09:43 PM Re: Giant Bomb can't get into multiplayer. Well done, Maddox Games, well done. [Re: Herr_Kapitan]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

Bryan.

Maddox Games and IC publishing/IC Softclub don't need Ubisoft anymore. Thw only reason UBISOFT is still in the picture is they have been funding COD for years and have to be paid off. Maddox Games, IC Publishing/IC Softclub, and Steam could get along just fine without Ubisoft at this time.

Now that COD is making money the developer wants to keep making money thru further development of the new IL-2 series.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.