Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3348720 - 07/22/11 10:59 PM A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault...  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Hello everyone, I thought it was time I came forward,

I give Oleg Maddox the benefit of the doubt. That is because he is a gentleman, an engineer and a "cathedral builder". However, I tend to go easy on the bug reports and difficulties of his new product as well - and that requires some explanation. Of course, part of it is that I remember the sims of the 1990s (TFH - all of the bombers used the same cockpit and plenty of stutter, BOBII - the bombers weren't flyable etc.) and view the current generation as a little spoiled.

However, the real reason I'm an apologist is simple: It is really my fault.

I first met Oleg Maddox online in 2000, asking him about photo-recon and persistent campaigns. He is a perfectionist and often had 'his head in the clouds' - imagining the perfect sim.

I goaded him onward with compliments and requests. I submitted design documents for the AI communications system and requested that gunners strafe (a reply for which I received in the CoD readme).

On twenty occasions I enabled the man. Over a decade I lead him off the sure beaten path. For years he laboured on a project that was more extensive and ambitious than could make commercial sense.

Then I witnessed him thrown to the dogs on the forums. So, yes - I feel a little guilty. Yes, it is my fault. Yes, you should hound me instead.
Yes, I hope he has enough to retire so he can leave behind the whining for underwater photography and family life.

I wonder if anyone else feels the same way?

S! Guys, let me be your Guy Fawkes...

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3348752 - 07/22/11 11:41 PM Re: A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault... [Re: Avimimus]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
Drinking already...... its only Friday afternoon. biggrin

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3348754 - 07/22/11 11:46 PM Re: A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault... [Re: Avimimus]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I have found it incredible how some in the community has turned on the developers after the countless hours of cheap entertainment they provided in the first IL-2 series. The new series development has taken too long and was forced out the door before it was finished, but that doesn't mean it won't be finished. The developer hasn't shut down and is still hard at work in a genre that won't make them rich, because they are WW2 aircombat simmers just like us.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3348755 - 07/22/11 11:48 PM Re: A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault... [Re: Avimimus]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Its actually "MysticPumas" fault!! smile

Remember his video where he goes on and on to Oleg about bloody staffing train??

Train this...trains that...sidings...steam!! screwy it went on and on until Oleg said yes.
Thats where it started to go wrong!

thats right Mystic, im looking at you. smile

#3348763 - 07/23/11 12:01 AM Re: A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault... [Re: Avimimus]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

I think it's incredibly brave of Avimimus to admit fault, even just from the extent of the compensation payments administration effort alone! Shall we say $10 each? smile

As a sim player, I think they reached for the stars and got about as far as low-earth orbit. Some will admire that they really went for it, while others will laugh at how low they got.

As a games developer, I'm amazed they spend their lives in this genre, in that the money side makes no sense, the fans range from psychopaths to amnesiac non-paying bystanders. What they do is incredibly hard and cleaning windows would probably pay better per hour. If you can code games, you ain't doing flight sims for anything other than love let me tell you.

Cliffs of Dover has the consistency of a Tiramisu made with added little rocks, every bite is an adventure.

smile

#3348823 - 07/23/11 01:40 AM Re: A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault... [Re: Avimimus]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Clap, clap, clap, well said Avimimus, well said, I applaud you

#3349036 - 07/23/11 11:59 AM Re: A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault... [Re: Avimimus]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Too bad they can't follow the business model that some simulations are able to fit into - working for military customers. 1C would have to travel back in time, though . . . Oleg McFly in

Back to the Future of Simming.

Oleg: Doc, I'll return in two weeks - be sure!
Doc: My name is Ilya.
Oleg: (Now where are my mini diks?)

In 1940:
Oleg: Why do you call me Spiderman?
Ubi Softberger: Well, that is your name, isn't it? Spiderman? It's written all over your underwear.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#3349039 - 07/23/11 12:11 PM Re: A confession: The CofD troubles are actually my fault... [Re: Avimimus]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
Yes good luck to Oleg, i can forgive his half finished game but not all the rubbish he told us in trying to cover up it was a half finished game just before release. Tarnished his reputation and deservedly so.

Last edited by Tree; 07/23/11 12:20 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.