Hop To
#3347043 - 07/21/11 01:31 AM Pass the Grey Poupon, please  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado

I had a tough time with this mid-air refueling stuff. Spent two solid days and got nutin' but a sore shoulder (but my stick is a lot smoother at center, now). Figured the problem was in the response curves for the Warthog and came up with these... I could not hold a position with the tanker until I put in the stick curves.

But what really took the time was the throttle - I tested over 20 throttle curves and settled on the second pic, below.

This is simple curve I use for the stick - it was fine after a few tries, using the same on both Pitch and Throttle -

This is the Throttle - I had a heck of a time maintaining speed with the tanker, and this is what I settled on - *let me know if I'm missing anything* :-)

I made a misson with a KC-135 at Angels 15 on an 80 mile leg out and kept going over it, and over it... (All weps Off, but still managed to send a few tankers down in flames.)

I also Pause my TrackIR for these refueling ops. Too much forward-backward throttle issues w/o the visuals doing the same.

Hope this helps - you should be able to zoom right up to a tanker and hold position to it now :-)

Wrecking Crew

crew

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3347064 - 07/21/11 01:54 AM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Afterthoughts to my post above - I think all this work on my stick and throttle curves will improve my run-ins to targets.

I found that Trimming just prior to Tanker contact matters most - do all the Trimming you want during approach but those higher speeds' Triming will need it again once you adjust to the tanker's speed.

WC

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#3347076 - 07/21/11 02:29 AM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
froogle Offline
froogle  Offline

Orlando,FL
Surely the curves depend on which stick you have though right? What do you fly with ?

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1718746/SharedScreens/tapcheck_sig.jpg[/img]
#3347146 - 07/21/11 05:08 AM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Hi froogle -
I have the Thrustmaster Warthog. I certainly think the curves you'd want will depend on your hardware and preferences. When I started adjusting them it was because I thought the play in the stick was too tight - I'd be all over the sky trying to close on the tanker; just a little bit of movement in the stick would be big moves on the tanker. I just needed some less sensitive response in the stick which was pretty easy to get, where the Warthog throttle took a lot more attention to suit my desire.

WC

#3347643 - 07/21/11 07:40 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
IMHO, trimming helps ALL the time. I've mapped the trim hat to my X-52 joystick so I have instant access to it and trim as often as I can.

Although, counter-intuitively, for gun strafes with Precision Attitude Control (PAC), you should revert to T.O. Trim. During PAC autopilot uses trim to maintain attitude (i.e., keeps the gun pipper ground stabilized when the pilot presses the trigger to the first detent) during PAC and if there is enough nose up or down trim already set, the autopilot may not have enough authority to keep the pipper on target.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3348586 - 07/22/11 07:27 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Madman777 Offline
Madman777  Offline

Austin, Texas
I changed my X52 curvature from 20 to 40 and now I can refuel np. Not sure if it would work with another joystick. Worked wonders for me.

#3351620 - 07/26/11 02:08 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Hrvoje Offline
Hrvoje  Offline

Thanks for info...never came across idea to made u curve on my throttle axis...
Also of note for TM warhog users, i am using iwanfr profile for my warthog, which enables me to make different sensitivity curves on the stick itself during the mission...This is made possible by using target script, and while pressing and holding s3 button + rotating friction control wheel on the base of the throttle, you can make change to x and y axis of the stick...
Look under http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73271&highlight=target+advanced for info and explanation...

Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew

I had a tough time with this mid-air refueling stuff. Spent two solid days and got nutin' but a sore shoulder (but my stick is a lot smoother at center, now). Figured the problem was in the response curves for the Warthog and came up with these... I could not hold a position with the tanker until I put in the stick curves.

But what really took the time was the throttle - I tested over 20 throttle curves and settled on the second pic, below.

This is simple curve I use for the stick - it was fine after a few tries, using the same on both Pitch and Throttle -

This is the Throttle - I had a heck of a time maintaining speed with the tanker, and this is what I settled on - *let me know if I'm missing anything* :-)

I made a misson with a KC-135 at Angels 15 on an 80 mile leg out and kept going over it, and over it... (All weps Off, but still managed to send a few tankers down in flames.)

I also Pause my TrackIR for these refueling ops. Too much forward-backward throttle issues w/o the visuals doing the same.

Hope this helps - you should be able to zoom right up to a tanker and hold position to it now :-)

Wrecking Crew

crew

#3355503 - 07/30/11 08:51 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Hrvoje]  
Skydoc Offline
Skydoc  Offline

vic Fort Rucker, Alabama, USA
Guys-

Been playing a custom ARF to practice but am not getting the clearance to contact position from the tanker. I get cleared to precontact at 20k feet and sit there 1nm behind the tanker requesting contact but get no response. banghead

weap safe
iff stby
tank gate off
cm stby
correct freq in radio
refuel door open "ready" light

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

cheers

Fas est ab hoste docere

...Skydoc...out!
#3355523 - 07/30/11 09:24 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
You have to get right up close before they will respond to that request.

Then they will flash external lights and extend the boom.

WC

#3355632 - 07/31/11 01:03 AM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Skydoc Offline
Skydoc  Offline

I see.
Guess the manual talking about being 1 nm behind the tanker for precontact position is bunk then.
grrr

Will give it a try closer up...thanks!

Fas est ab hoste docere

...Skydoc...out!
#3355859 - 07/31/11 01:37 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Hi Skydoc,
I did this post using 1.1.0.8, and have not done AAR on the newer 1.1.0.9.

There was a change in .9 -
Aerial refueling corrected. Only one player can be in contact with tanker at once. In contact player must check out before other player can communicate with tanker.

I may give AAR another go today. I did change my stick curves from 20 to 30, too.

WC

#3360437 - 08/06/11 04:32 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Skydoc Offline
Skydoc  Offline

Hey-

So I am wondering - what is the point of modelling all of the lights on the forward section of the belly of the KC, but then we dont use them? Shouldn\t they help guide us into the correct position?

No mention of them in the manual that I see.

Fas est ab hoste docere

...Skydoc...out!
#3360578 - 08/06/11 07:47 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Good question - I looked too. I ignore them now... Here's a link with some explanation -
DCS A-10C Forums - Belly Lights

WC

#3361182 - 08/07/11 04:13 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Supra Offline
Supra  Offline

Florida
Okay mid air refueling has to be the most difficult part of this game (and for the longest time I thought that was landing)

#3361317 - 08/07/11 08:18 PM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Wrecking Crew]  
Lion Offline
Lion  Offline

Canada
Landing is super-easy on the A-10. Look at how much runway there is! And you don't have to slam your plane on the ground to do it! biggrin

#3508438 - 02/01/12 03:48 AM Re: Pass the Grey Poupon, please [Re: Skydoc]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
Originally Posted By: Skydoc
Hey-

So I am wondering - what is the point of modelling all of the lights on the forward section of the belly of the KC, but then we dont use them? Shouldn\t they help guide us into the correct position?

No mention of them in the manual that I see.

For the next DCS aircraft maybe?

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.