Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#3343030 - 07/16/11 01:14 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: bisher]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bisher
Two-thousand-five, I agree this game does require some effort to get good results and I'm okay with this, many aren't and that's okay too.

'When you have to make an effort to enjoy something then something is fundamentally wrong.'

I think two-thousand-five has inadvertantly described what is fundamentally wrong with our society today.

Bisher -- you've nailed it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3343034 - 07/16/11 01:18 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

Letterboy1...agreed smile

But it's not about lessons in life's priorities or moralising in general (I dont agree with Dart about perspective. We know all that, and perspective didn't dampen anyone's enthusiasm back when most people thought it was going to be great).

As Furbs says, it's about a very disappointing game...no more, but no less either.

It doesn't do any harm to narrow down the areas of disappointment, which vary. And banging on about the missing fundamentals at least keeps the message going. If nothing else, it may serve as an illustration to other devs (I dont buy the 'buy-this-to-support-it' line).

It will be interesting to see what NA makes of it.

Ben

#3343035 - 07/16/11 01:19 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Originally Posted By: Snapper
Furbs, you've laid out the reasons for your acute disappointment in CoD very clearly and, to various degrees, is shared by all of us. I never flew in squads online with IL2, only solo sorties via Hyperlobby. Much earlier I flew with the 509th Composite Squadron way back in Air Warrior 2, then Warbirds, but the 509th disbanded when fewer of us could commit to regular squad nights because of work and/or family obligations.

However, you've never resorted to ridicule those who DO enjoy CoD for what it is. In a past thread you registered your disappointment, expressed hope that all will be fixed, and left it at that. What I can't for the life of me understand is the derision held by other detractors for those of us who actually do enjoy flying C0D and come to SimHQ to share experiences and try to trade info and tips on this sim. In a perverse way this is considered "wrong" and we're all "Oleg fanboys" (never met the man, actually). I'm almost 58 years old and left the high school hallways 40 years ago. Like many other here I grew up and learned to enjoy doing what I do and not have to justify myself to anyone. One village idiot here even took me to task as to what artistic academic accreditations I have because I expressed my enjoyment of posted screenshots!

So, I can understand why people aren't happy with CoD. That's the easy part. The hard part is understanding the mentality of people, who are presumably adults, that continually return to a forum of a game they detest -- and some don't even OWN -- to take shots at fellow members who do enjoy the game. It makes no sense!

Cheers Snapper, i dont have a problem with people enjoying COD, i enjoy parts of COD alot. Just not the parts that are the most important(to me).

As to the last part of what you said, i don't know but i also don't mind.

To me its just internet talk smile

#3343038 - 07/16/11 01:23 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  

CT, USA
... The hard part is understanding the mentality of people, who are presumably adults, that continually return to a forum of a game they detest -- and some don't even OWN -- to take shots at fellow members who do enjoy the game. It makes no sense!

Actually, it does make sense from a certain perspective and one can speculate as to the real motives behind such actions/behavior but alas, people will be people and there's nothing you can do about it.

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3343040 - 07/16/11 01:26 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Cheers, Furbs.

Let's hope all gets fixed.

As for the rest, I was once advised to look at annoying people as I would the yappy little dog down the street. A bloody nuisance, yes, but just how personal are you going to take it? LOL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3343044 - 07/16/11 01:28 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: -Avatar-]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Very true, Avatar. See my reply to Furbs above -- this fits, too! LOL

#3343051 - 07/16/11 01:39 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Well...its not like you have to work or live with them (both sides) is it? smile

#3343069 - 07/16/11 02:23 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
Well...its not like you have to work or live with them (both sides) is it? smile

'L'enfer, c'est les autres'

~Jean Paul Sartre

(Actually not quite as Misanthropic as it sounds, lol)

biggrin

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3343071 - 07/16/11 02:31 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
All is not lost....I always wanted to see the word "sty" in a post. Thanks Frey. Hmmmm, does pigpen sound more refined, or is it me? Anyway, take care and thanks for some of the pointers you posted here. I usually don't post much anymore, but I do enjoy some of the information posted here from time to time.

#3343086 - 07/16/11 02:56 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

Well like I said in another thread here, I left but still feel compelled to come back now and then. It is sort of like going by a car wreak, you really don't want to look but you do anyway.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#3343103 - 07/16/11 03:34 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
The hard part is understanding the mentality of people, who are presumably adults, that continually return to a forum of a game they detest -- and some don't even OWN --

I continually return in hopes of reading how Maddox games has fixed all the big issues and has a awesome career mode under development . . .

#3343107 - 07/16/11 03:45 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
Well i have never slated anyone (to my knowledge) for enjoying the game, my biggest beef is with the developers, they just blatently lied through the development process, i could see it coming but it still angers me greatly because this could of been a great sim.

#3343120 - 07/16/11 04:09 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I agree with Tree. If Luthier&Co would've been honest about the state of the sim prior to release this whole drama could've been completely (well, mostly) avoided. Of course, if they'd done that UBI probably would've launched an army of lawyers on them. Can't tell customers that the product they're about to release is unfinished...

The problem is that I already got burned on a "Luthier" product once, i.e. the Pacific Fighters addon which very much disappointed me. Lots of promises, pretty sobering content.

So yes, my trust especially in Luthier has suffered quite a bit. And the communication, or better, the lack of it doesn't help either. Compare that to the RoF or DCS devs and you'll see a world of difference.

Now, I don't think for a second that Luthier or his team intended to "rip us off" or don't care about their product and its fans, but IMO their project management seems to be an utter disaster.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3343135 - 07/16/11 04:34 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Para_Bellum]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

What you say makes a lot of sense to me, PB. Elsewhere in this forum I had wished that the release of CoD had followed the DCS-A10C route. I purchased DCS as a "beta" and it ran like crap on my system - unstable, erratic control inputs, it would even crash to desktop as I was mapping my HOTAS during setup! Being a beta, I could state my concerns but could hardly complain - it was a beta, after all. After several patches DCS became a 'full retail' product and it actually runs beautifully on my system now. If C0D had done this it would've been a straightforward case of "let the buyer beware". Most of us would've bought it anyway with our eyes wide open, no one could have claimed to be duped. I don't suscribe to any great conspiracy theory - I agree that UBI must have directed the proceedings and the developers were not at liberty to speak their minds.

ROF also runs great on my system. I enjoy it a great deal, but WW1 sims are not my thing. The same with DCS, although I think I'm basically too lazy to, er, "put in the effort to enjoy it"! LOL (Oh, the irony on that remark!).

WW2 sims ARE my thing, and the Battle of Britain is THE theatre in my books. It actually runs quite well on my system despite the numerous glitches and missing/broken features. I get a kick out of strapping into a Spit or Hurri and meeting enemy bombers head on. The AI is wild at times - the F16 roll maneuvres leave me cold, especially for multi-engines. The Jafa sound mod really improved the auditory aspect, and I can only hope the upcoming sound changes are as good or better.

Time will tell.

#3343139 - 07/16/11 04:38 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Snapper...Just as important as the sound, is COOPs without them they will be no future for COD. IMO

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 07/16/11 04:38 PM.
#3343154 - 07/16/11 04:56 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Furbs, I could see that Coops are essential towards developing a huge online community. Although not my cup of tea (but never say never), IL2 was renowned for its online community and it only makes sense that the devs acknowledge this and expand the MP accordingly via a patch. Their silence is deafening.

#3343164 - 07/16/11 05:06 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
I really dont think it was UBI who put the pressure on to release this game i honestly dont believe they did, I also dont think UBI were back on board until late in development, do you guys remember Oleg saying in 2010 that they now had a publisher onboard and that he would wait for the publisher to announce themselves? I remember that very well. Now that we know Oleg was long gone well before release i think it was most likely Oleg putting pressure on luthier to get the game out, Oleg as done with flight sims he's now involved in 3d photography and I think that he wanted to cash in his investment and move on.

#3343178 - 07/16/11 05:15 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Tree]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted By: Tree
I really dont think it was UBI who put the pressure on to release this game i honestly dont believe they did, I also dont think UBI were back on board until late in development, do you guys remember Oleg saying in 2010 that they now had a publisher onboard and that he would wait for the publisher to announce themselves? I remember that very well. Now that we know Oleg was long gone well before release i think it was most likely Oleg putting pressure on luthier to get the game out, Oleg as done with flight sims he's now involved in 3d photography and I think that he wanted to cash in his investment and move on.

Given that reality, there is probably zero chance this sim will ever live up to the expectations initially created by Oleg and 1C. The guy bailed. He grabbed the money that poured in from the panting fanboys and took off. Of course he knew the product was a mess, and probably believed it was unfixable short of a cost-benefit ratio that was not to his liking. He's a smart man. Why else would he bail? Think people, think.

I fully understand strong interest in a subject or era. But don't you feel hoodwinked by someone who released a game you were dying to get your hands on, knowing it was a mess and likely never to be finished, but didn't want to risk a fist full of money, so he cut and ran?

CloD wasn't a title I was lusting to get my hands on, even though I own all previous IL2 sim releases (I'm an single-player guy and became bored with 1C sims), but had it been such a title, my response would be decidedly different than fanboyism. My outrage would've made me do with the game what one normally does with dogshit. And I wouldn't spend one single additional minute hoping and praying for another patch, and another, and another, and "making an effort" to enjoy something that was a major and irreparable disappointment(remember: Oleg is a business man. He must not have seen sufficient profit in laboring over it any longer).

I'd move on to another game. For your own psychological and emotional health, I urge you fellows to "detox" and do the same. It bothers me to see adult members of a rather good community in agony. BOBII is a fine sim. Get your Battle of Britain fix from it. Wings of Prey has contemporary graphics and multiplayer, with BOB scenarios. Move on.

Last edited by Plainsman; 07/16/11 05:40 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3343214 - 07/16/11 06:11 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Plainsman]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
I'd move on to another game

Yes you should

The tone of your posts do not suggest you are a person who is happy with the choices you've made in your life, you sound bitter and angry, or about to have an anxiety attack; yet here you are trying to make choices for others. This funny only to a point, but after that, well..........

#3343257 - 07/16/11 07:26 PM Re: I'm quitting this pig sty too [Re: Freycinet]  
falstaff Offline
falstaff  Offline

bisher said:

Quote:
The tone of your posts do not suggest you are a person who is happy with the choices you've made in your life, you sound bitter and angry, or about to have an anxiety attack; yet here you are trying to make choices for others. This funny only to a point, but after that, well..........

Generalised cliche psychobabble and patronising to boot.

Ben

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.