Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
#3337249 - 07/08/11 02:47 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - STUKA campaign mission 4: A Wing and a Prayer *** [Re: HeinKill]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

They're back! Hurray!

Looking forward to our hapless hero's new adventures smile

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3337399 - 07/08/11 08:35 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - STUKA campaign mission 4: A Wing and a Prayer [Re: HeinKill]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Nice read, thx!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3339070 - 07/10/11 08:22 PM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - STUKA campaign mission 4: A Wing and a Prayer [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
UR welcome! Next chapter soon, the weather has just been too darn good!

H

[Linked Image]
#3339274 - 07/11/11 02:12 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - STUKA campaign mission 4: A Wing and a Prayer [Re: HeinKill]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
UR welcome! Next chapter soon, the weather has just been too darn good!

H

Roger THAT, Heinkill!!!

Driving my wife nuts: "You're going out on your motorcycle AGAIN???" Me: "Yep, I have to amortize the upkeep costs!" wink

Not getting much sim time in - but it's gotta rain again, soon, I should think...... LOL

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3339358 - 07/11/11 05:40 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Motorbike? Yeah right, you actually need to wear a helmet whenever whenever you go outdoors because they are still looking for you after the Vancouver NHL riots. It was actually you in this photo that went viral, wasn't it?

[Linked Image]
#3339505 - 07/11/11 01:16 PM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Nah, those Vancouver rioters were actually Stanley Cup-haters and they just want the NHL to FAIL! LOL

BTW, thrilled to see our two favourite Luftwaffe airmen are back in the air once again. Looking forward to the next installment! smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3340035 - 07/12/11 03:02 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Glad to see them back. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3340168 - 07/12/11 09:11 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
COMBAT REPORT

Name: Oberleutnant Hein Kill
Date: August 12 1940
Flight, squadron: He111, II/KG1, Le Havre
Number of enemy aircraft: 3
Type of enemy aircraft: Defiant, Hurricane
Time attack was delivered: 2030
Place attack was delivered: Ford RAF airfield
Height of enemy: 500
Enemy casualties: 1, rammed
Our casualties: 0
General report:

It was a beautiful summer evening. We hadn't sortied all day - word was all hell would break loose tomorrow...Adlertag! But for tonight, Fritz had his boots up on a chair in front of the pot bellied stove in the mess, HaSSel was knotting himself a noose, again, and Fuchs was carving a Bf109 out of a carrot. The other aircrew lounged, slept, or played cards, gambling like men who don't need to fear tomorrow. It was an idyllic scene. Naturally, I had to ruin it.

"Unteroffizier Fritz!" I said, "That was a woeful exhibition of bombadiering on our last mission."

"Danke, Herr Oberleutnant?" he said, querulously.

"Don't danke me, get your kit on," I looked at HaSSel and Fuchs too, "All of you. We're taking a machine over for a surprise raid on Ford RAF base so that you can get some practice in before the big show."

Fritz cast a glance out the door at the lowering dusk, "But, it's nearly dark!"

"Then we better get going before it's totally dark, hadn't we?" I said, kicking his boots off the brazier.
"I suppose it is better to fly in the dark," HaSSel said as we walked out the door, "At least you won't see the ground rushing up at you before you die."

In twenty minutes we were airborne, and in thirty, we were well over the Channel."I should be in bed by now," Fritz grumbled. He was lounging in the copilot's seat.

"You should be in the nose gunner position by now," I corrected him. "Get down there."

After the debacle of our first mission, I had switched HaSSel to the lower ventral gun, and moved the silent but indomitable Fuchs to the dorsal gun. My cunning plan, if attacked, was to dive to sea level so that any RAF fighter trying to attack, would have to do so within sight of Fuchs and not HaSSel. Not that I expected to see, or be seen by, any RAF fighters in the darkening summer twilight.

"Fighter!" called Fritz, "Hurricane or Defiant! Two oclock high, 1000 metres." I looked quickly upward. The enemy fighter was on a course across our bows. From above looking down at our machine against the backdrop of the Channel, we should be nearly invisible. Sure enough, he made no effort to change course. I smiled. We were invisible.

Then Fuchs opened fire.

"Cease fire!" I called, "You're giving away our position!" Sure enough the enemy responded. It was a Defiant, and it banked, bringing its strange rear mounted turret to bear. The twin flashes from its muzzles twinkled above us, but I kicked in some right rudder, yawing across the sky, and the tracer fell away wide.

I took my machine lower. I felt like a submarine cowering under the waves, while a Destroyer made a sonar charging run above, looking for us. He made one more pass, but this time did not fire. Could it be he had lost us among the wavetops? It seemed so.

"Ja!" yelled Fritz, "He's moving away."

"Admirable initiative Kanonier Fuchs," I complimented the dorsal gunner, "Don't do that again."

I climbed again to bombing altitude, and we approached the coast. The huge RAF airfield, with two long rows of hangars on opposite sides of the landing strip, was clearly visible near the coastline despite the poor light. Fritz settled his eye to the bomb sight…

And released a bomb!

"Halt! Fritz, you fool, what are you doing! We are two miles from the target!"

"It is these confounded airspeeds!" he complained, "I start by referencing my indicated airspeed to these charts, but there are all these various altitudes and IAS values. I match my altitude and IAS and correct for groundspeed and then I read my true airspeed, but what is this rubbish about air pressure and pitot tubes?"

I sighed, "Did you turn on the pitot tube warmer?"

"The what?"

"Small knob on your left hand side," I told him, "Forget it. We're too close to the target now. We'll do this the old fashioned way."

"Oh no, please don't!" Fritz groaned, grabbing hold of his bombsight with white knuckles. "We don't have dive brakes!"

I rolled the Heinkel over onto its back, chopped the throttles, and pointed its nose at the airfield below. "The bomb bay doors will create enough drag," I said, hopefully. If we didn't rip them off.

At 500 feet I called Fritz to salvo the rest of our bombs, and hauled desperately back on the stick. We kept falling, straight at the ground.

Slowly, oh so slowly, the fat ugly beast pulled out of its dive, about 200 feet over the ground. Behind us, a line of beautiful explosions marched across the enemy airfield.

"You didn't hit the hangars," Fritz said, with petty malice.

"At least I hit the airfield Fritz," I told him. "They'll have fun trying to take off around those craters tomorrow. Get back on the gun."

"They'll have those craters filled by breakfast," he said. "With respect Herr Oberleutnant, what is the point?"

"The point Fritz," I said patiently, "Is that the crew of this Heinkel has to get bombs on target, one way, or another. And if our bombadier can't do it, we will improvise."

"Can I be bombadier then?" asked Fuchs, "I don't like having all this stupid metal plating around me."

And so it went as we turned the machine for home. A few light flak bursts cheered us on our way, but we were not alone for long.

"Two fighters on our six," said Fuchs, dispassionately. "Oops, seems my gun is jammed."

I rolled the Heinkel onto one wing and dove for the sea. The first Hurricane closed and opened fire, its tracers mostly flashing across the space we had just occupied, though a couple thudded home. The wing started trailing fuel.

His wingman closed too and I rolled the other way. He didn't fire, our move taking him by surprise.

Now we had dropped to sea level, "Lower please," called Fuchs, "My gondola is still above the water."

I noticed one of the engines was starting to cough and looked quickly up at the instruments. Unfortunately, a couple of stray enemy bullets had rendered them nearly useless. They were showing full pressure in both engines, but the rev counter for the starboard engine was dead, and the temp gauges had also been knocked out.

The enemy fighters closed again. I had no more surprises up my sleeve. We were sitting ducks. Or were we? As soon as I saw the first tracer flash past our machine I hauled back on the stick. The Heinkel's nose rose like a whale breaching, and our airspeed dropped dramatically. The Hurricane behind us was caught napping, and swerved violently, his port wing clipping our starboard wing. The entire bomber shuddered and shook. But we flew on.

Not so the Hurricane. Sans one wing, he spiralled into the sea below.

I frantically checked the controls for damage. It seemed the ailerons on the starboard wing were shredded, but we were otherwise intact. A miracle!

"Damnation," cursed Fuchs, "How unlucky can we get?"

The remaining Hurricane stood off warily. HaSSel gave him a long range burst and that seemed to make up his mind. He turned for home.

It was still a long way to Le Havre. I could not get the machine to fly straight and level, but managed to keep our heading with some heavy port trim and right rudder.
All was not well though, and we started to lose altitude.

"Jettison all unecessary weight!" I ordered, "No HaSSel, that does not mean you too."

"What weight?" asked Fritz.

"Guns, ammunition, life rafts, radio..."

"My snack box?" he asked plaintively.

"Keep your snack box," I told him, "But that crate of beer you have under your feet has to go."

In minutes the machine was stripped. I looked down into the glass nose. We felt somehow naked without guns, but at least we were able to maintain our altitude, even climb a little.

Fritz climbed up into the copilot seat again and leaned his head back against the bulkhead, "Can I sleep now? I don't want to be awake when you try to land this thing Oberleutnant."

"Probably a good idea Fritz."

"Because even in full sunlight with no mechanical damage..."

"Ja ja."

"I mean, we haven't actually landed intact that many times, when you think about it..."

"Sleep Fritz, that's an order."

Le Havre crept closer. I navigated our approach so that we would cross the coast near the Seine river where there were no cliffs to climb. My plan was to try a gentle left hand banking turn and come in to the airfield from the southwest to give myself the longest possible landing strip. I knew I could not risk throttling back in case I lost power completely, so it would be a hard and fast descent. If we didn't spin out of control as soon as I began the turn. I tried to lower the landing flaps, but they did not respond.

I warned Fuchs, "You better get up from that ventral gondola. We may hit hard Fuchs."

"Fine by me," he said happily. "I'll just stay down here if that is alright with you Oberleutnant."

I began the turn, heavy on the rudder, sideslipping into the approach.

The field was barely visible in the twilight, but as we had thrown out the radio, I couldn't ask for them to turn on the landing lights.

We came in fast, but thankfully level. At the last moment I chopped the throttles and flared the nose.

We bounced hard but the gear held as we bumped twenty feet back up into the air. We hit again, rising into the air once more, and the end of the airfield rushed toward us.
I guessed that Fritz was not asleep after all, when he nervously grabbed my right shoulder.

The machine dropped down for the last time, the gear creaking as we ploughed into the heavy grass at the end of the field. Thankfully Le Havre was not surrounded by trees or buildings, and I gently toed the brakes trying to pull us up without nosing over.

My efforts were in vain. We were slowing nicely when we hit some uneven ground. The Heinkel skewed almost to a stop, and then, very gently and elegantly, tipped onto its nose.

"Well," said Fritz, cheerfully "At least we can have a snack while we wait for the tow truck. Pumpernickel anyone?"

[Linked Image]
#3341501 - 07/14/11 07:39 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Goodbye, and thanks for all the japes...

This forum has become a pointless, repetitive litany of 'you are an idiot - no, you are an idiot' and I can't stand it anymore. 'Become?' I hear some people say, it has been like that for a long time now. But I have stayed out of those threads and tried to read those with real content in them, only to find that they too get hijacked by mindless abuse.

Recently a thread I had started was up over 5,000 views and 100 relevant posts, then the abuse started. Within a day the thread had become yet another sing song of garbage, so I asked the admins to kill it and delete it. Another perfect case in point - a member harmlessly posts a video they think is worth looking at (it is), but a couple of days later the thread is reduced to garbage.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3339085/Excellent_Clod_video_by_Barfly.html#Post3339085

The admins made an early attempt to referee this kindergarten nonsense, suspended a few of the major offenders, relocated or deleted troll posts, and they do react when a particularly offensive post is notified, but to me it seems they have given up actively monitoring behaviour on this forum and I don't blame them. For every troll or abuser who is suspended or banned, another seems to take their place.

To those of you who have posted real content on this forum, who have made an attempt to ask and answer questions that have improved the gameplay experience of people who own CoD, or better informed those who are considering buying the game, I say a heartfelt thankyou.

And to those who are looking for that kind of content for CoD, I strongly recommend this alternative website (to which I have no affiliation) - the sister website for Mission4Today:

http://www.airwarfare.com/sow/index.php

H

PS Thanks for the nice comments along the way and PMs. The series will continue! I have moved it to airwarfare forum

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?opti...5&Itemid=54

Cheers!

Last edited by HeinKill; 07/15/11 12:32 PM. Reason: On request

[Linked Image]
#3341507 - 07/14/11 08:00 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Goodbye, and thanks for all the japes...

my thoughts, indeed.
I'd suggest to take a few days leave, think again about it, and come back to adhere strictly to the kind of postings you feel worth it. That's what I did.

I will check the airwarfare link.

Michael.

#3342148 - 07/15/11 02:01 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Don't leave us in the middle of the battle Heinkill smile Many more nonposter's would love the sort of stuff you post and simply don't participate ,but the view count shows it. It doesnt mean the place is full of badtypes, they just seem to have to vent a lot more than the normal human smile

Without post's like your's the place will not be as colourful , have a break and a rethink maybe smile

cheers

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3342245 - 07/15/11 05:56 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 2: Ramming Speed! [Re: HeinKill]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

hm, I'm a bit disturbed that the threat of you leaving this place does only provoke two replies.

Michael.

#3342269 - 07/15/11 07:54 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 2: Ramming Speed! [Re: DocW]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

If it had been a threat, ok, but as i read it it was a done deal.
No use to write to someone who isn't there to read it.

#3342271 - 07/15/11 07:57 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 2: Ramming Speed! [Re: robtek]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Originally Posted By: robtek
If it had been a threat, ok, but as i read it it was a done deal.
No use to write to someone who isn't there to read it.

Yup, your probably right.

Michael.

#3342306 - 07/15/11 11:18 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 2: Ramming Speed! [Re: DocW]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Speaking as part of the (fairly) silent majority. Your thread is epic. Please continue and bring the terrible two to a more satisfying end. If however you've had enough I fully understand.

RedToo.

Last edited by RedToo; 07/15/11 11:19 AM. Reason: typo

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#3354597 - 07/29/11 05:50 PM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Nice to see the forum 'under new management' and back to a semblence of itself!

PS Welcome aboard to all US CoD simmers! If you just joined, these AARs are intended as a walkthrough or guide to the Luftwaffe campaign missions and quick missions. The AARs start here if you want to go back to Mission 1

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?opti...p;Itemid=54#595

COMBAT REPORT Quick Mission Dover Attack

Name: Oberlt Hein Kill
Date: July 10 1940
Flight, squadron: He 111P2, Abbeville
Number of enemy aircraft: 12
Type of enemy aircraft: Spitfire, Hurricane
Time attack was delivered: 0920
Place attack was delivered: Dover
Height of enemy: 1500
Enemy casualties: 0
Our casualties: 2
General report:

BOULOGNE ALPRECH LUFTWAFFE AIRFIELD 1020 HOURS 13 AUGUST 1940

"Aaaargh, hurensohn! That hurts like hell!"

"Serves you right."

"Halt die fresse...arschgesicht!"

"Now now boys, play nice..."

ONE HOUR EARLIER...

"So this what victory looks like gentlemen," I observed, looking out across the Channel to see Luftwaffe bombers stretched from horizon to horizon. Closest to my unit of He111s was a gruppe of Ju88s. Above us, a swarm of 109s.

Our target, Dover Port.

"Remember Fritz," I told the supine form in the nose bubble, "Just aim for the ships today, we're going to need the port facilities intact for when we invade."

"Like that's going to happen," came the grumble from the ventral gunner position. HaSSel being his usual upbeat self.

"Do I detect a lack of faith in the godlike leadership of the 3rd Reich there HaSSel?" I asked him.

"Of course not Oberleutnant," he replied, "If the Fat Man says we'll be eating pork pies in Trafalgar Square by Autumn, I believe him. I meant, what chance that blob of lard up front hitting anything with his bombs..."

"At least I use my weapons, feigling."

"I might be a feigling, but at least I am a skinny feigling."

Ah yes, the familiar and comforting sound of grown men bickering like infants. With luck, there would soon be fisticuffs. I settled back in my seat and enjoyed the moment. Unfortunately Tommy spoiled it.

"Spitfuer!" I called, but the 109s were already on them. They had the advantage of height, and began the job of swatting them from the sky.

We were not able to relax for long. From the clear blue sky a flight of Hurricanes suddenly descended.

They were on our tails in a flash.

I heard Fuchs open up with his MG as a Hurricane closed on us and opened fire.

I heard the rounds thudding home along the midsection. They must have come close to Fuchs, but as usual he merely grunted, swinging his gun as far as it would traverse as he followed the Hurricane past. Fritz joined in too, firing as it flashed across our nose.

But he was just the first. A second followed, and a third, this time the hail of .303s chewing into our wing root.

"Bomb doors open. Fire!" called Fritz.

"I believe the correct phrase, is 'bombs away' Fritz," I told him.

"No, I mean, FIRE! On the wing!" I looked to port. There was indeed a lick of flame, then a flash as a fuel tank caught briefly alight, and I held my breath, but the self sealing system worked quickly and the fire snuffed out in the slipstream.

A Hurricane was closing again. I threw the Heinkel into a desperate bank.

The move caught him by surprise, and he flashed past just metres beneath us.

Now it was the turn of one of the Spitfires. He had broken through the escort and was trying to creep up on us when one of our Emils opened fire on him.

"Ja! That's how we party on Eagle Day Tommy!" Fritz shouted.

I had lost altitude in the evasive manouvre, and also lost my formation, which was spread across the skies above me. Grimly I lined up on Dover, started a gentle climb, and Fritz settled to his bombsight.

He looked over his left shoulder, "I think we took some serious hits on the port wing, Herr Oberleutnant. We are leaking something."

I sniffed the air, "Only fuel Fritz, and we got the short route today, France is only 40 km away."

"We're going to get shot down before we run out of fuel," HaSSel said comfortingly. "There's another Hurricane approaching."

I jammed my foot on the rudder and sidelipped, dropping a wing and giving Fuchs a clear shot. He didn't disappoint.

The Hurricane pilot baulked at the stream of tracing hurling toward him, and rolled over underneath us.

"Hold still dammit!" Fritz muttered, "Airspeed, minus ground speed, divided by altitude, arm the bombs, adjust the sight velocity, set for salvo....bombs away! Now der teufel wird los sein!" he shouted.

"Yeah right," HaSSel replied, "All heck is going to break loose, in your underpants."

But we watched in astonishment as the line of bombs marched across the harbour, smacking open water once, twice.. and then connecting square across the stern of a huge freighter moored at the docks!

"You got it Fritz!" I exclaimed, kicking him in the heel.

"Woo hoo!" he yelled, pumping the air with his fists. As I turned away we watched it begin to belch flame and smoke.

"It didn't even sink," HaSSel said unsportingly.

"Well, it isn't sailing anywhere in the next few weeks is it?" Fritz replied. The large oily cloud over Dover appeared to settle the argument.

As we completed a slow turn over the English coast just inland from Dover, I took stock. We had taken heavy damage on the left wing, were losing fuel, and the port engine sounded rough. The gauges were not showing damage, but I throttled it back to 3/4 power just in case. Looking out the cockpit at the left wing did not lift my spirits.

Fritz heard the change in the note of the engines as the port engine powered down, "Oh no," he moaned, "Just tell me now. Are we going to crash in England, ditch in the Channel, or belly in somewhere in France?"

I sucked a tooth, and considered the odds, "I'd say 50/50 on a little swim, but an outside chance we'll make it all the way to France," I told him.

"You wouldn't be so cheerful if you could see what I can see," HaSSel said from below. "I can see wing girders and beams through a hole just outside the port engine," he offered.

"Oh, scheiss," said Fritz.

"Yeah, hey, did you realise they paint the inside of the skin of the wing green?" he asked, "Why would they do that? I mean, who cares what colour the inside of the wing is?"

Now Fritz started gibbering, "Green? He can see the inside of the wing? Oh, that can't be good. You shouldn't be able to see inside your own wing unless you are on the ground with your feet on a ladder..."

"Relax Fritz, I have a good feeling about this," I lied, "We still have nearly two engines after all, and Boulogne is only 20km away now."

Had we survived so may missions in Zerstorer, Stuka and now Heinkel only to plunge to an icy death on the shortest bombing mission of our careers? Well, probably, I mused, as the port engine failed just off the coast.

"Last time we made it home on one engine, right Herr Oberleutnant?"

"We had more altitude that time Fritz."

"Way to cheer him up Oberlt," HaSSel clapped.

We started dropping fast. We still had the metropolis of Boulogne to negotiate, with the airfield lying on the other side of it. I didn't have the luxury of a detour.

There was more good news to come.

The gear would not come down.

I called the Boulogne Alprech field, "Alprech control, this is Heinkel LA, declaring a minor emergency. We are at 200 metres, two kilometres out approaching from North and requesting permission to land immediately."

A voice crackled over the headset, "Heinkel LA, Alprech control, you are cleared to land. You said a minor emergency? Please confirm."

"We have one engine out, structural damage to port wing, and landing gear is inoperative," I told him, "Nothing too serious but I thought you might want to know."

There was a lot of spluttering and coughing at the other end of the radio so I cut it off, it would only distract me now. I dropped flaps. At least they were working. We glided in over the field.

"You might want to get up out of that gondola," I told HaSSel, "Unless your idea of a good time is to slap France with your face."

"I'll stay right here if you don't mind," HaSSel said, "This war sucked anyway."

Fritz was looking straight ahead with eyes wide, "It looks like an awfully short field, Herr Oberleutnant!"

The starboard prop bit first, but we kicked into the air a little and floated gently along on a warm ground updraft.

"You think so Fritz?" I grunted, shoving the nose down and holding the wings level with hard left rudder, "At least it's flat." The belly hit with a gut crunching thud.

From HaSSEl down in the gondola, half burried in French pasture,came a screeching wail as we skidded across the turf...

But the wings didn't even bite, and we slid to a stop on a perfectly even keel, only one prop bent, and...

"Aaaargh, hurensohn! That hurts like hell!" screamed HaSSel.

"Serves you right." replied Fritz

"Halt die fresse...arschgesicht!" came the muffled response. He sounded like he was yelling from six feet underground.

"Now now boys, play nice..." I told them, and took Fritz arm, pointing out the cockpit ahead of us. "See Fritz, a hundred metres of landing field to spare. I think this one was something of a personal best!"

[Linked Image]
#3354598 - 07/29/11 05:51 PM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
How does the Heinkel perform underwater? Unfortunately, I have the answer to that question.

See the latest Luftwaffe campaign AAR here (modified Quick mission, Dover Attack):

Name: Oberlt Hein Kill
Date: July 29 1940
Flight, squadron: He 111P2, Abbeville
Number of enemy aircraft: 12
Type of enemy aircraft: Spitfire, Hurricane
Time attack was delivered: 1320
Place attack was delivered: Manston
Height of enemy: 0-500
Enemy casualties: 0
Our casualties: 4
General report:

"Today boys, you will see the power of carefully coordinated combined air power against a helpless enemy," I declared proudly. We were on our way over the Channel to wreak havoc on Manston with a precision low level attack on the AAA emplacements - a prelude to the main attack which would follow this afternoon. A staffel of 109s was our umbrella.

And just for good measure, a pair of He115s were going to sneak in under cover of our attack, and sow mines in the coastal approaches.

It was a genius plan, requiring the precision, timing and execution that only the Luftwaffe's finest could achieve.

Therefore, it was doomed to fail - but I didn't share this with the crew. They were in fine form today.

"Manston ahead!" called Fritz from his prone position in the nose.

"That isn't Manston, du drecksack," said HaSSel, who hadn't yet moved into position on the ventral gun, "It's Ramsgate. That's a civilian field."

"Ja, ja, let me finish...Manston ahead, and to the left, a bit," Fritz shot back.

From Fuchs, on the dorsal gun, came not a word. He never joined in the childish banter of the other fools. He sat quietly scanning the skies through narrowed eyes, his head on a swivel, his MG clean and oiled, his ammo cannisters squared away, ready for a quick reload. With him watching our six, I could relax, knowing that no matter how suicidally incompetent HaSSel was in the gondola, Fuchs had always protected us.

In a month I had learned little about the man. He had a sweetheart, we knew that from the photograph he had pinned to his bunk. And a farm somewhere in Hallertau growing hops. What more honourable profession could there be, than growing crops for making beer? Ja, I had a soft spot for strong, silent Fuchs. Not that I expected to see any RAF on this short raid. We were coming in low and fast, just above the waves, a small group of 6 bombers who would hit, hit hard, and run again. Tommy was probably still having his post lunch cup of tea and a nap in the sunshine.

"Turning to port, ten degrees," I called to my flight, and started a slow a turn.

Suddenly all hell broke out behind us, there were panicked cries, and a massive explosion.

"What the hell?" I called, "What was that?"

For the first time in three missions Fuchs spoke, in calm, precise tones, "A collision Herr Oberleutnant. Machine four did not turn as ordered, and collided with machine three. Both destroyed. I see one parachute only."

"Bloody hell," said Fritz, "What a way to go."

I shook my head, "Those men were Condor legion pilots," I said. "Let that be a lesson to you boys, never fall asleep on the job!"

Gritting my teeth, I lined up on the airfield ahead. Despite the huge ball of smoke in the sky behind, the AAA seemed still to be asleep. Mazybe we would pull of this attack as planned after all!

It was Fritz who spoiled my delusions.

"Spitfires, Hurricanes! Tommies, everywhere!" he called, opening up with his MG. At the same time, I heard Fuchs begin hammering away on his gun, which could only mean fighters on our six. Sure enough, tracer began flashing over my head.

So close to the target, I had to hold my nerve. Enemy rounds began thudding into the body of our machine, walking a deadly line from tail to nose.

We had been hit hard.

But Fritz hunched over his bombsight and pickled a line of bombs across the AAA behind the main hangars, the deadly little Bofors. A series of powerful explosions rocked the machine, leaving carnage in their wake.

I began the planned turn to port to egress. "Spitfire on our six again," HaSSel said, as though commenting on a football match. "Looks annoyed."

More rounds thudded into the airframe. "Where the blazes is that escort!?" I called.

"Chasing Hurricanes," said Fritz. "At least we only have the Spitfires to deal with."

"He's getting closer," said HaSSel. Fuchs gun was hammering incessantly.

"Really close, actually."

"Oh..scheissssssssssss!"

The Heinkel was given a massive shove from behind as the crazy RAF pilot ploughed directly into our tail. We bellied across the sky as the fuel in the Spitfire ignited with an ear shattering WHOOMPH.

I wrestled with the controls. The pedals were slack, completely useless, but she was still responding to the stick and I rolled her level. "Report!" I called, "Fire? Damage?"

Even the usually laconic HaSSel sounded shaken, "N-n-nein, all well here, Herr Oberleutnant, going above!"

"OK in the nose, and I don't see any fire," called Fritz, looking down the length of the machine. I turned and looked through the cockpit door. HaSSel was crawling up from his Gondola. Fuchs however, seemed ominously still. I could only see his feet, but they were not moving.

HaSSel confirmed my fears. "Fuchs is dead," he said quietly.

I scanned port and starboard, the damage to the airframe was catastrophic.

But we were still flying, and high enough that bailing out was still an option. I decided to let the boys have a say.

"Men. This machine is a wreck. I can hold it level, but it is just a matter of time before we go in. So we can either jump here and now while we are over land, and spend the rest of the war in a Tommy POW camp, or we can radio those He115 seaplanes that we are going to ditch, and hope they can find us out there in the Channel. What do you want to do?"

"I can't swim," Fritz reminded me. "But then again, I already had my feet on British soil once in this war, when you crashed our Zerstorer, and that was once too many times," he said. "I vote we ditch."

"What option offers the greatest likelihood I will be killed and say goodbye to this stupid world forever?" HaSSel asked.

I thought about this, "I am very experienced at crash landing," I told him, "But I have never crashed at sea. So personally, I think we should bail."

"I vote to ditch," HaSSel said, "Get this war over with."

"Very well, ditch it is," I told them. "Someone get Fuchs papers out of his pockets will you? And free the raft."

I sent a message to the seaplanes, busily working, unmolested, off the coast of England. One of them broke off and began to head toward the area I expected we would go in.

I concentrated on keeping the machine level, as the engines began their inevitable swan song, surging and coughing. We began to lose altitude. I guess we were all thinking about those frantic few seconds after we hit the water. Would we survive the ditching? Would we get out in time before the crate went under? Would we be rescued?

None of us was watching the skies, and the Spitfire which had been carefully stalking us out over the Channel, tired of waiting for us to go in, and decided to finish us. A hail of lead slammed into our stricken machine and he zoomed away above us to watch his handiwork.

I went to call for a damage report, but...my voice would not work. I looked down at my hands, still gripping the wheel, still steering us down. But my vision began to fade. I heard the Spitfire scream underneath us this time, and then saw him pull up directly ahead, but I saw it all through a red mist.

I coughed. A wet, cloying cough. Forced the nose lower. The engines quit. I had to hope that 115 was on the way.

Through the miasma I saw the waves approching. I pulled back on the flaps, and with my last strength, hauled back on the stick, trying to hit the water tail wheel first.

The machine jarred as the tail bit, and we slapped down hard into the Channel.

"Raus!" Fritz called, "We're down, let's get out! Herr Oberleutnant!"

I watched the water coming into the cockpit. It seemed so gentle, actually. My hands fluttered at my harness, but they were not mine. At least, they were no use to me, so I let them drop.

We began to slip under. I looked up, watching the waves rolling above us. We sat in a little air bubble in the glass nose, Fritz and I. This was a sight I never expected to see, I thought to myself, and gave a little bubbling laugh.

The English Channel, above me!

"Oh no you don't Oberleutnant," Fritz said, "It's just a scratch you big dummbatz. You're coming with me - I'm not going to break in another pilot." I felt him man handle me out of my seat, still watching the water lapping gently above.

I'm not sure what happened after that. Probably I blacked out. When I came to we were in a raft. Fifty feet away a seaplane was slowing to a stop, and HaSSel and Fritz were rowing, frantically, still arguing with each other of course.

[Linked Image]
#3354949 - 07/30/11 12:41 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Hurray! They're back! Or are they?
Did they survive the frigid North Sea?

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#3354956 - 07/30/11 12:45 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: HeinKill]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

I always ditch my He-!11... - Damn' CEM!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3355114 - 07/30/11 07:51 AM Re: Luftwaffe campaign walkthrough - He111 mission 1: Reborn [Re: Cold_Gambler]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Cold_Gambler
Hurray! They're back! Or are they?
Did they survive the frigid North Sea?

Clue WinkNGrin

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.