Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3340025 - 07/12/11 02:41 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly **** [Re: Ajay]  
DoolittleRaider Offline
DoolittleRaider  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ajay
One of my faves is still Bratya/Brother...The sequences and editing are nowhere as near as good as Come with Me...

Another i really liked was I Promise....

The Raf 662 recruitment movie was really done as well,plenty of action and very dramatic...

Come with me,Brother,raf662 and I promise are the ones i will show people to give them the gist of what a sim is about.

Movie database here if you have some time to kill smile MACHINIMA

Those are all top-notch movies which have stood the test of time...(All were made in 2004/2005)....and remain very impressive and enjoyable.

However, they were surpassed by quite a few movies over the ensuing years....by the inclusion along with music soundtracks of in-game sound, special fx, dialogue, Mods, etc. and, most importantly, well developed screenplays/stories. The biggest weakness of all the literally thousands of youtube IL-2 videos, and now hundreds of youtube COD videos, is the lack of any emotional engagement or "Stories".

The link to BBlokes Database website is an excellent comprehensive resource....but for viewing the very best movies without sorting through all the chaff, FSM is the place to go. I would especially recommend "Pictures of War (2005), "Not My Time to Die" (2007), "The Desert Dogfighter" (2008), "Storm of War" (2008) "Battle of Britain" (2009), "I Flew for the Fuhrer" (2009), and "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death" (2010)...and, of course, the epic one-hour long "Faith, Hope, and Charity" (2007). Each of these movies was awarded at least one Silver or Gold Oleg Award for special recognition and achievement.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3340160 - 07/12/11 08:51 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I remember pictures of war , Monty Dan i think and not my time to die,the p47 v 190 based on the true story , both really cool but they never engaged me like the ones i mentioned.The others ones you stated above i have yet to watch , the work that goes on in these productions never ceases to blow me away. thumbsup

I got to 'meet' MRVH at Hyperlobby a few years ago and thank him for the enjoyment i got out of his Brother and I Promise minimovies over the years , was cool to be able to yak for a few minutes and thank him.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3340252 - 07/12/11 12:54 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: DoolittleRaider]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Originally Posted By: DoolittleRaider

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
i thought the vid was good, not great..but good. 3 stars

Originally Posted By: Brealistic
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
i thought the vid was good, not great..but good. 3 stars

same here.

Would either of you please post links to the COD movies/videos which you have found which are better. I'm sure many of us would enjoy seeing them. Thanks much.

Sorry Dolittle i thought i did...here it is again

#3340570 - 07/12/11 08:03 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

For me nothing will ever beat 'Come With Me' but this one is brilliant.

#3340797 - 07/13/11 03:28 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: Brealistic]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: Simmer
Simpley awesome. The best vid i ever seen of this game

What so you think your opinion is more important than his, this post isnt funny, as the person you are trying to put down(not very sucessfully either) has an opinion that is just as valid as yours, personally I agree with him.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3340798 - 07/13/11 03:31 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: Speyer]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: JG52Uther
For me nothing will ever beat 'Come With Me' but this one is brilliant.

I agree %100 with this, that was a great movie, but the new graphics really improve the feeling of reality, when CoD finally takes over from IL2 we really should see some great work, cant wait.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3340899 - 07/13/11 10:40 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
Great one! I still like "Pulse" a little better.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3340901 - 07/13/11 10:45 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Tachyon Offline
Happy go Nutty
Tachyon  Offline
Happy go Nutty

Zwolle, The Netherlands
Epic! Nothing but admiration for Barfly and the likes for seeing the potential CoD has to make these great short movies. And to be able to edit it in such an gripping way. With Pulse a lot of cinematic techniques and effects have been used to edit CoD scenes into a piece of art. This movie Is more a true to live depiction that is not comparable with the former but gets it strength out of the genuine scenes this game produces. The pallet of the artist contained a lot less cinematic tools and to be able to produce such an telling and gripping movie that way makes it stand out on its own imo.

- Tachyon -

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Peter Sellers as President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove
#3340911 - 07/13/11 11:20 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: Tiger27]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

Originally Posted By: Tiger27
Originally Posted By: Simmer
Simpley awesome. The best vid i ever seen of this game

What so you think your opinion is more important than his, this post isnt funny, as the person you are trying to put down(not very sucessfully either) has an opinion that is just as valid as yours, personally I agree with him.

"personally I agree with him."

and that's why you whined.

It is far from the best work I have seen on COD and I will explain why.

Far to many overdone titles.

A person that does this is essentially saying... "Hay look at me people, look at me! Isn't my little movie so damn awesome that I have to remind you by throwing in a lot of totally awesome titles in it all the time.

You see this in little low budget films a lot where someone managed to scrap just enough money together to make their "masterpiece".

Far far to much overused dramatic music.

See explanation one only with music this time

A story line that basically taken from every BOB ww 2 film ever seen in that it show no originality.

German bombers attack England..Raf fighter base gets attacked, Raf fighters scramble..some individual air combat footage.

Lastly the credits. See number one again.

Good execution but a very boring overused plot

Little to no imagination whatsoever used here.

before you whine and complain I have written movie "shooting scripts" and written some actual TV productions.

I do know a bit from whence I speak.

I posted that little cartoon jab above because far too many people throw out far too many WAY over the top complements far far to easily IMO

It hurts my eyes and ears. dizzy biggrin

Realize this before you start your customary defensive bleatings.

Artistic Compliments without including Criticisms are essentially meaningless.

#3340920 - 07/13/11 11:46 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Lord Flashheart Offline
Lord Flashheart  Offline

London, UK
Quote:
I have written movie "shooting scripts" and written some actual TV productions

Links to your masterpieces on IMDB, please?

There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
#3340926 - 07/13/11 11:52 AM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: Lord Flashheart]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

Originally Posted By: Lord Flashheart
Quote:
I have written movie "shooting scripts" and written some actual TV productions

Links to your masterpieces on IMDB, please?

Please limit your bleatings to what I have criticized the producer for.

That means each essential point given.

#3340932 - 07/13/11 12:02 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Tachyon Offline
Happy go Nutty
Tachyon  Offline
Happy go Nutty

Zwolle, The Netherlands
"Little to no imagination whatsoever used here. bs_sign
Who made you the sole authority on this.

"I do know a bit from whence I speak." Walter mode on " Oh my GOWD...... "Walter mode off"

"Artistic Compliments without Criticisms are esentially meaningless."
You obviously forgot the word "constructive" here

- Tachyon -

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Peter Sellers as President Merkin Muffley in Dr. Strangelove
#3340935 - 07/13/11 12:08 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: Tachyon]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

Then you have never seen a ww2 bob movie and have also not seen the many many many self produced game videos that look exactly EXACTLY like this.

It's a completely valid point.

You can explain how this production is different from any other one of the many many many if you like.

#3340938 - 07/13/11 12:14 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Lord Flashheart Offline
Lord Flashheart  Offline

London, UK
No 'bleatings' old chap - but you seem oddly reluctant to take any criticism of your work while dishing it out...

This goes for your screenshot art mumblings as well. If you have written The Wire, directed Gladiator or are aviation artist of the calibre of Michael Turner - then I might be be more inclined to listen to your points. Incidently are you a member of GAVA? I'm pretty sure a lot of their paintings would not pass muster with you either...

At the end of the day - this is 'flightsim' forum - flying the sim is the main thing, movie making/screenshort art is just icing on the cake.

Our standards are thus slightly different. If that movie had been produced by James Cameron, with a $100m budget and 10 years - you might have a point. But for a amateur, working with limitations of flight simulation software, and low cost editing stuff, its not too bad.

(Oh and my father is an 'amateur' artist too and is well used to giving advice and critising others when he teaches art classes - but there is a way and means of doing it... and I can't ever recall him saying 'Your work is rubbish - no you can't see mine'...)

There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
#3340939 - 07/13/11 12:17 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: Lord Flashheart]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

Originally Posted By: Lord Flashheart
No 'bleatings' old chap - but you seem oddly reluctant to take any criticism of your work while dishing it out...

This goes for your screenshot art mumblings as well. If you have written The Wire, directed Gladiator or are aviation artist of the calibre of Michael Turner - then I might be be more inclined to listen to your points. Incidently are you a member of GAVA? I'm pretty sure a lot of their paintings would not pass muster with you either...

At the end of the day - this is 'flightsim' forum - flying the sim is the main thing, movie making/screenshort art is just icing on the cake.

Our standards are thus slightly different. If that movie had been produced by James Cameron, with a $100m budget and 10 years - you might have a point. But for a amateur, working with limitations of flight simulation software, and low cost editing stuff, its not too bad.

(Oh and my father is an 'amateur' artist too and is well used to giving advice and critising others when he teaches art classes - but there is a way and means of doing it... and I can't ever recall him saying 'Your work is rubbish - no you can't see mine'...)

Old chap you haven't answered ANY of my criticisms whatsoever. May I remind you of this.

Your post is completely dodging the points as you know

where did I ever say this production was rubbish?

I didn't as you know.

#3340948 - 07/13/11 12:23 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

If you care to make actual valid criticisms of the actual points I raise please do.

#3340953 - 07/13/11 12:28 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

A far more interesting question to me is what some of you that didn't find this short production quite so grand would have done to make it BETTER.

#3340955 - 07/13/11 12:32 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

For one just on the visual end of things I find far to few really dramatic close-up shots.

#3340957 - 07/13/11 12:34 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
Excellent work, it almost looks like real footage. The only thing I would have said was to have had the raid hit just after dawn for an even more realistic looking landscape.

#3340958 - 07/13/11 12:37 PM Re: Excellent Clod video by Barfly [Re: RedToo]  
Brealistic Offline
Brealistic  Offline

How about we make deconstruct this production and make up a far better one right here by ourselves.

Anyone want to venture on the first original scene and establishing shot ?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.