Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3339460 - 07/11/11 11:25 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: 2005AD]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Originally Posted By: 2005AD
Originally Posted By: WynnTTr

Contrary to what ReconNZ said, the silent majority are not enjoying the game, they have most likely moved on or have given up on it in its current state. I suggest if money is tight that you do the same. Sure it has potential, but we can't play potential.

If they're the silent majority then how do you know?

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3330516/1.html

That thread was conducted right here on SimHQ. I'm going to go ahead and call it valid, next question smile

...and I'm a Mawnkey's hat...

That thread was up for only a couple of hours before being locked - it will primarily have votes from the most compulsive forum visitors (who are on most often).

In addition, the forum was primarily being used to bash Oleg around that time - not to discuss actually playing the sim - so it will tend to attract people who like doing that (rather than flying).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3339461 - 07/11/11 11:26 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: MIG77]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

If you fly a Bf109 REALISTIC, meaning cruising over the channel in 3 to 4000 m with 300 km/h to conserve fuel and staying with the Bombers, you HAVE to close the oil-cooler, or you are in for a nasty surprise as your oil-temp will go below 40°C.

#3339479 - 07/11/11 12:15 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
FieldyHK Offline
FieldyHK  Offline

London
Turn around and go back to ROF for a few more weeks/months, this bird is back in the hanger being over hauled right now.

Although to be fair it can do some things werll such as an encounter with a lost handful of bombers/fighters. But by no means does this product (currently) simulate the Battle of Britain

#3339485 - 07/11/11 12:27 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: FieldyHK]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
[quote=FieldyHK ...........Although to be fair it can do some things werll such as an encounter with a lost handful of bombers/fighters. But by no means does this product (currently) simulate the Battle of Britain [/quote]

Err, what does it simulate, then? The Battle of Midway? The Battle of Hastings?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3339489 - 07/11/11 12:47 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: robtek]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted By: robtek
If you fly a Bf109 REALISTIC, meaning cruising over the channel in 3 to 4000 m with 300 km/h to conserve fuel and staying with the Bombers, you HAVE to close the oil-cooler, or you are in for a nasty surprise as your oil-temp will go below 40°C.

Oh, I do check oil/water temp all the time. It just is that I dont need to change settings that much -> So IMHO saying it is something more complex than in RoF is screcth (where I usually set mixture/radiator more often)

You can get used to everything, but icicle in the a**. It melts before you get used to it.
#3339499 - 07/11/11 01:01 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: Avimimus]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: Avimimus
...and I'm a Mawnkey's hat...

That thread was up for only a couple of hours before being locked - it will primarily have votes from the most compulsive forum visitors (who are on most often).

In addition, the forum was primarily being used to bash Oleg around that time - not to discuss actually playing the sim - so it will tend to attract people who like doing that (rather than flying).

I was always tought a couple was two, hmmm now it seems it means almost seven. We could go round and round all day on who voted on that poll. It doesn't change the outcome smile

SimHQ is not the only forum where the general opinion of CloD is mostly negative with a hint of maybe it will get better thrown in. Like it or not CloD has not been well received by the majority of the sim community. Though don't take my word for it, takeyour head out of the sand long enough to go see other forums where people have openly stated they have moved on until (if) it gets fixed.

#3339528 - 07/11/11 01:48 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
FieldyHK Offline
FieldyHK  Offline

London
Originally Posted By: Snapper
[quote=FieldyHK ...........Although to be fair it can do some things werll such as an encounter with a lost handful of bombers/fighters. But by no means does this product (currently) simulate the Battle of Britain

Err, what does it simulate, then? The Battle of Midway? The Battle of Hastings? [/quote]

My point being that the game doesnt simulate the battle in any way or form. Something that BOBII managed to do very well.

I hope they can fix not only the bugs but also the actual game part of, a non laughable Single Player element would be a start. But for me its a game breaker until they can throw up 100+ aircraft at any one time. Until then this is no BOB simulation in my humbe opinion.

Or am I wrong and there wasnt that kind of volume of air traffic over souther England in the summer of 1940? If so then I take it all back!

Last edited by FieldyHK; 07/11/11 02:03 PM. Reason: shocking grammer
#3339539 - 07/11/11 02:02 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: FieldyHK]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

You said "by no means". That is false. Not every air encounter in the Battle of Britain involved hundreds of aircraft. The Single Player missions represent very realistic aerial conflicts that took place July - October, 1940; which BOB2 also faithfully reproduces. Obviously there were huge Luftwaffe armadas launched during the Battle, but not on every single occasion as you infer.

The FMB in CoD is very capable of launching Eagle Day-scope operations, which you conveniently chose to overlook.

"By no means"? Wrong!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3339540 - 07/11/11 02:06 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
FieldyHK Offline
FieldyHK  Offline

London
You said "by no means". That is false. Not every air encounter in the Battle of Britain involved hundreds of aircraft. The Single Player missions represent very realistic aerial conflicts that took place July - October, 1940; which BOB2 also faithfully reproduces. Obviously there were huge Luftwaffe armadas launched during the Battle, but not on every single occasion as you infer.

The FMB in CoD is very capable of launching Eagle Day-scope operations, which you conveniently chose to overlook.

"By no means"? Wrong!

Corrected.

However by your definition you have to concede that this means the game only partially succeeds as a simulator of the Battle of Britain, otherwise why not call it an Eagle Day sim?

#3339543 - 07/11/11 02:07 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
FIScott Offline
FIScott  Offline

Do you boys hop out of your respective trenches at Christmas and have a kick about before heading back and shelling seven shades out of each other ?. You make anyone into flight sims look like complete nutcases.

As to RoF and CoD I would agree with the main (on topic) sentitments. As you will know RoF is a great sim and with recent updates is a good well rounded experience. If you don't let your expectations get out of hand CoD can be enjoyable now but it has issues that the developers have confirmed they are dealing with and when they do it should really start to shine. If you aren't the patient kind I would wait before getting CoD as you will become very frustrated very quickly with what needs to be fixed. If you have been with RoF from the start you should be fine as it was a similar story there.

You will find that it is easier to get good performance out of RoF than it is in CoD but it is possible if you are sensible with your settings. Even on medium graphics settings CoD is visually very impressive but if you have anything less than a 1gb GPU I would upgrade as you will have a job on getting it running well.

As an added bonus if you get CoD you will be able to select a place in one of the warring factions round here, the Chimps and the Gorillas, who throw rocks at each other every day.

#3339565 - 07/11/11 02:31 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: FieldyHK]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Absolutely, Fieldy, and there I agree with you 100%.

I've been amazed at what the BOB2 community was able to achieve with the original Rowan's BOB - especially with the Campaign. I found it completely immersive from a "Dowding-perspective" watching the incoming hostile raids develop and the responding squadrons scrambling, then with one click of the mouse jumping into the cockpit of a fighter to engage those very same marauding EA. Absolutely brilliant on many levels --and sadly lacking from CoD.

The missing/broken features and bugs in CoD are numerous and well-documented. For all of that, I find CoD immersive from a pilot's viewpoint of strapping into a cockpit and engaging enemy fighters and bombers. Others here have produced action-packed videos of these encounters which convincingly simulate many of the aerial combats that took place during the Battle. What's missing, as you point out, are the hundred-plus big raids which were iconic to The Battle of Britain. I haven't mastered the skills in the Full Mission Builder to reproduce these huge battles, but I'm hoping that those who do will be generous enough to post 'em up once done.

Finally, I apologize for "snapping". I concede you raised a valid and important point re the lack of scope of Cliffs of Dover and I nitpicked on your wording. Let's hope this sim gets finished the way it should be.

#3339570 - 07/11/11 02:38 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
FieldyHK Offline
FieldyHK  Offline

London
Agreed Snapper, apology accepted. Ive just been looking at Barfly's video and as much as its beautiful I wish I could either get a copy of that mission or even better yet be able to build these kind of missions with relative ease. I simply dont have the time to invest hours/days in deciphering the mission builder to accomplish this.

Heres hoping though!

#3339719 - 07/11/11 06:37 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
SsSsSsSsSnake Offline
SsSsSsSsSnake  Offline

Leicester UK
but Snapper thats what you do after all its your name:)

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss
2600kI7.Corsair G60 liquid cooler.8gig corsair dominator,GTX580.64gig Crucial M4 ssd Win7 os.OCZ 120gig games SSD.Hazro 27" 2560x1440.
CH Fighter stick, CH pro throttle.CH rudder pedals.
#3339727 - 07/11/11 06:45 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: SsSsSsSsSnake]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Originally Posted By: SsSsSsSsSnake
but Snapper thats what you do after all its your name:)

Hah, true enough, Snake, I just have to remember that here we're all on the same side! LOL

#3339733 - 07/11/11 06:51 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: Freycinet]  
Senseispcc Offline
Senseispcc  Offline

Belgium but not in Flanders
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Originally Posted By: MIG77

Thats true. Apart from clickable cocpits(selecting magnetos/fuel tanks/etc) engine managemet of CloD is not that different from RoF. RoF WWI era planes just have fixed propellers.

Ehhhhhh? - Propeller pitch, oil cooler, super-charger, interrelated controls, carburettor heating, etc, etc..?

CEM in CoD is an order of magnitude more complex than in RoF.

A lot but not to much if you take time to learn it all not at once but little by little.

It is a fun game and you can make a choise so use the difficulty settings you want.

Have a fun game. cheers

My PC; wink
Win7 x64
Asus p6x58d
I7 975 3.75Ghz System & game ssd 120Gb (great for the system and for my games).
12 Gb (6*2Gb) ddr3 1600Mhz memory
Geforce gtx580 1.5Gb two of them SLI
Trackir 5
Logitech G940.
[img]http://s4.postimage.org/nmtrbp44/shot_20110507_143940_849.jpg[/img]

#3339736 - 07/11/11 06:53 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Hah, true enough, Snake, I just have to remember that here we're all on the same side! LOL

Don't kid yourself. Are you on the same side as for instance this guy?:

The truth is it has gone from a rip-off utter joke that didn't work to laughably bad with very limited content.

Some people hate the sim with a vengeance and just have to come and post about it constantly. It is their reason for being.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3339768 - 07/11/11 07:34 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: Freycinet]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: Freycinet

Don't kid yourself. Are you on the same side as for instance this guy?:

The truth is it has gone from a rip-off utter joke that didn't work to laughably bad with very limited content.

Some people hate the sim with a vengeance and just have to come and post about it constantly. It is their reason for being.

Frey, without pretending that I speak for anyone else, I think that he did mean exactly that. Even the most 'negative' people here are people who love aviation sims, hence we are all on the same side. Everyone here I'm sure would love this thing to work perfectly and 'as promised'. There are differences of opinion about what is acceptable and what is fun, also 'glass half full' people and 'glass half empty' ones too. Just live with the fact that not everyone is going to have the same opinion, or outlook as yourself and I think you'd have a lot more fun here!
Regards, Ben. (not that one!) cheers

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3339802 - 07/11/11 08:27 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
SsSsSsSsSnake Offline
SsSsSsSsSnake  Offline

Leicester UK
wave2 cheers

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss
2600kI7.Corsair G60 liquid cooler.8gig corsair dominator,GTX580.64gig Crucial M4 ssd Win7 os.OCZ 120gig games SSD.Hazro 27" 2560x1440.
CH Fighter stick, CH pro throttle.CH rudder pedals.
#3339828 - 07/11/11 08:59 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: Bokononist]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

That pretty much sums up my thoughts, Bokononist. Life is too short. Enjoy the ride.

#3339924 - 07/11/11 11:17 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: Bokononist]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Bokononist

Just live with the fact that not everyone is going to have the same opinion, or outlook as yourself and I think you'd have a lot more fun here!
Regards, Ben. (not that one!) cheers

I cannot have much more fun than I already do, including actually having fun with the sim, as opposed to those poor sods who #%&*$# and moan and lecture us all about The Truth of how terrible it is.

For the fun I have, look in my sig... smile

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.