Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3338705 - 07/10/11 02:52 AM Tips for someone coming from ROF  
polisheagle1939 Offline
polisheagle1939  Offline

United States
Hopefully in ten days I will be getting COD. I have been playing Rise of flight almost exclusively for the past year and I was wondering if any of you that have played both sims had any tips on making the transition. Thanks!

Wood: Nature's carbon fiber!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3338807 - 07/10/11 08:41 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
Senseispcc Offline
Senseispcc  Offline

Belgium but not in Flanders

ROF is to learn to fly and fight.
COD has twice as fast airplanes and engine are more complex.
So learn all you can about engines.
Learn to recover from a spin.

The game and scenarios are faster to load and when you go to "FLY" there is no pause like in every ROF scenario start.

In COD you can fly lower but not slower and very high very fast.

The menus and way to use them is not the same at all, less intuitive.

My PC; wink
Win7 x64
Asus p6x58d
I7 975 3.75Ghz System & game ssd 120Gb (great for the system and for my games).
12 Gb (6*2Gb) ddr3 1600Mhz memory
Geforce gtx580 1.5Gb two of them SLI
Trackir 5
Logitech G940.
[img]http://s4.postimage.org/nmtrbp44/shot_20110507_143940_849.jpg[/img]

#3338813 - 07/10/11 09:13 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
I find that with Cod I fight more in the vertical plain, where as RoF is more in the horizontal, engine management is key, and they tend to be more like the Se 5 with regard to fragility. A lot of fun to be had despite what some will tell you, and likely to improve a fair bit more!

Have fun
Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3338861 - 07/10/11 12:49 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
ReconNZ Offline
ReconNZ  Offline

Yeah mate, first of all, congrats, and secondly, dont listen to all the negative hype on the forums, the silent majority love this game, have it running great and are too busy playing it to be on forums whinging about it! :-)

That said, just take some time to learn to fly the planes - the flight model is totally different and the engine management is way more complex in cliffs. Don't jump straight into dogfights - get a feel for how each plane handles in different conditions.

Look on youtube - search for the various plane startup procedures - they are all there - its best to learn complex engine management as soon as possible, dont be scared of it - its much easier than it first seems and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Yeah, the back-end of cliffs isn't as polished as ROF, but that game is a year older - cliffs is improving all the time and will be amazing in a few months time. For now though, the flight and damage models are fantastic and the graphics are spectacular - so sit back, strap yourself in and enjoy the experience!

#3338932 - 07/10/11 03:40 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Have a look at Freys videos, very well done and show off the good parts of the sim.(even if he cant fly very well wink )

http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwDOTdalsgaardDOTeu#g/c/981CBC682E928D2A

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 07/10/11 03:40 PM.
#3338941 - 07/10/11 03:57 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

If you can spare the money then CloD is worth the investment, at least in a sense that each sale helps fund further development. If money is tight then save your money and give it about a year to see how CloD turns out. It has far to many game breaking bugs to be considered anywhere close to release worthy.

Contrary to what ReconNZ said, the silent majority are not enjoying the game, they have most likely moved on or have given up on it in its current state. I suggest if money is tight that you do the same. Sure it has potential, but we can't play potential.

#3338960 - 07/10/11 04:33 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Cliffs of Dover is still a work in progress. ROF is a highly-polished finished (but still evolving) product with the recent release of its excellent Campaign.

That said, CoD has enough going for it to be an excellent skirmish sim with substantial graphical and engine management detail. Much remains to be done to provide the many missing (but promised) features, resolve the bugs and glitches, and hopefully replace the dysfunctional Campaign. I've spent many hours totally enthralled flying this sim and learning the in's and out's of flying the Spitfires and Hurricanes. Others are completely frustrated and disgusted that the sim was released in its flawed state.

I don't know where the majority vote lies on this. Console gamers would undoubtedly prefer Wings of Prey in terms of the eye candy and instant gratification the action provides -- nothing wrong with that. Sim "purists" will prefer the greater focus on authenticity at the expense of fast & furious whiz-bang that WoP delivers. Different strokes for different folks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3339061 - 07/10/11 07:52 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

You got that one right!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3339064 - 07/10/11 07:59 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

I believe that majority is nevertheless enjoying the game, but it's a pure speculation. Just don't understand how it's possible to not enjoy such a masterpiece of true art like CloD. Love it since the first day even with all its initial bugs. With a decent, properly calibrated screen it looks gorgeous. But I am a graphics guy and all those campaigns are out of my interest, didn't even try them.

#3339155 - 07/10/11 10:52 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: soaringbird]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

Originally Posted By: soaringbird
..............Just don't understand how it's possible to not enjoy such a masterpiece of true art like CloD..............

easy, just read this
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23405

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3339190 - 07/10/11 11:32 PM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: 2005AD]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005AD

Contrary to what ReconNZ said, the silent majority are not enjoying the game, they have most likely moved on or have given up on it in its current state. I suggest if money is tight that you do the same. Sure it has potential, but we can't play potential.

If they're the silent majority then how do you know?

I'm enjoying both but RoF is definitely the more polished game. CLoD has a lot of potential and the game is far better than its initial release here in Australia but a lot of work still has to be done.

If you're a fan of WW2 aircraft then this game is a must.
If you're a general flight simmer then there are better games to get and play while this is being improved.

I don't think you'll need to worry about spin recovery. Anyone flying those lawnmower crates has to know a thing or two about spin recovery.
I think the biggest change will be complex engine management and getting used to faster speed and a more powerful engine. This will allow you to do more complex air acrobatics without worrying about stalling or your wings ripping off.

#3339376 - 07/11/11 07:23 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: WynnTTr]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: WynnTTr

If they're the silent majority then how do you know?

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3330516/1.html

That thread was conducted right here on SimHQ. I'm going to go ahead and call it valid, next question smile

I'm enjoying both but RoF is definitely the more polished game. CLoD has a lot of potential and the game is far better than its initial release here in Australia but a lot of work still has to be done.

Slightly agree: The above quote makes it sound like it is a much better sim than on release. The truth is it has gone from a rip-off utter joke that didn't work to laughably bad with very limited content. It has been released now for almost four months and we still have game breaking bugs. Yes the fact that sound cuts out in MP is a game breaking bug.

If you're a fan of WW2 aircraft then this game is a must.

Disagree. Unless being a fan of WW2 also means you do not care about historical aircraft performance or an accurate depiction of one of the largest and most impoortant air battles ever fought.

If you're a general flight simmer then there are better games to get and play while this is being improved.

I would say this applies even if you are a WWII flight simmer. After all I am more interested in WWII than WWI or modern era but I find both RoF and DCS A-10C to be much better experience.

I don't think you'll need to worry about spin recovery. Anyone flying those lawnmower crates has to know a thing or two about spin recovery.

Agree

I think the biggest change will be complex engine management and getting used to faster speed and a more powerful engine.

The complex engine management in CloD is not that complex, it is tied to RPM and radiator position only. It is better than the one in IL2 but it is still nothing special, just open radiators/oil coolers to 50% and fly full power until the fuel runs out. The only difference between engine management in CloD and RoF is having to control the prop pitch. I'm not sure if overcooling at high altitude is modelled in CloD, I have never been able to get any of the aircraft anywhere close to thier operational cieling... hmmm another major bug that hasn't been fixed.

#3339400 - 07/11/11 08:46 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: 2005AD]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

The truth is it has gone from a rip-off utter joke that didn't work to laughably bad with very limited content.

Funny how the haters always think of themselves as the dispensers of "The Truth". The above quote says more about you than about the sim.

Just bugger off if you hate the sim so much. You must have many more worthwhile pursuits in your life, surely...

#3339404 - 07/11/11 08:52 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: 2005AD]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland

The complex engine management in CloD is not that complex, it is tied to RPM and radiator position only. It is better than the one in IL2 but it is still nothing special, just open radiators/oil coolers to 50% and fly full power until the fuel runs out. The only difference between engine management in CloD and RoF is having to control the prop pitch.

Thats true. Apart from clickable cocpits(selecting magnetos/fuel tanks/etc) engine managemet of CloD is not that different from RoF. RoF WWI era planes just have fixed propellers.

Another thing that I am not so sure is CloD damage model (dont confuse visual model to true damage model) actually better. IE compare how many places wings can break (imo both are about about same) but CloD seems to lack dynamic damage on wings (one wing section can bend and dame otehr section next to it). In engines RoF is hard to read as it lacks gauges (IE oil preasure), but both have oil leaks, radiator leaks, fuel leaks. I also know that RoF calculates mixture A/F ratio and can have detonations if mixture get too lean(D.VIIF), and ofcourse already mentioned cylinder overcooling.

Overall, I dont think CloD has better damage model. Most players just confuse it with better visual damage model (20mm explosion mark is cool looking in metal wing, where as in wwi bullet would just leave small hole to canvas).

You can get used to everything, but icicle in the a**. It melts before you get used to it.
#3339406 - 07/11/11 08:56 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: MIG77]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MIG77

Thats true. Apart from clickable cocpits(selecting magnetos/fuel tanks/etc) engine managemet of CloD is not that different from RoF. RoF WWI era planes just have fixed propellers.

Ehhhhhh? - Propeller pitch, oil cooler, super-charger, interrelated controls, carburettor heating, etc, etc..?

CEM in CoD is an order of magnitude more complex than in RoF.

#3339411 - 07/11/11 09:01 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: Freycinet]  
MIG77 Offline
MIG77  Offline

Finland
Originally Posted By: Freycinet

Ehhhhhh? - Propeller pitch, oil cooler, super-charger, interrelated controls, carburettor heating, etc, etc..?

CEM in CoD is an order of magnitude more complex than in RoF.

Never have to use those apart from oil cooler/proller pitch (Depends mostly plane you fly). And as AD2500 said, you can leave oil cooler at 50% and forget it (I usually open it fully). In normal flying you just need to change propeller pitch (and not even that if you fly Spits/hurris which have two stage/constant speed propellers).

You can get used to everything, but icicle in the a**. It melts before you get used to it.
#3339421 - 07/11/11 09:26 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
911dan Offline
911dan  Offline

I thought I noticed that Spitfire cooling system efficiency reduces under conditions of lower IAS and high boost, to account for lower airflow thru the radiator. Maybe that was just my imagination.

#3339429 - 07/11/11 09:54 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: polisheagle1939]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
I am pretty sure that carb heat comes in handy when flying through clouds, have had the hurri's engine near on grind to a halt several times due to icing.

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3339444 - 07/11/11 10:48 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: MIG77]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Never have to use those apart from oil cooler/proller pitch (Depends mostly plane you fly).

Ok, that's fine: you choose to never fly through clouds... - It is also definitely possible to fly without touching the prop pitch, if you want to putter along at 200 kmph...

#3339447 - 07/11/11 10:53 AM Re: Tips for someone coming from ROF [Re: 2005AD]  
soaringbird Offline
soaringbird  Offline

That poll is quite funny. I tried but was not able to vote. It was probably locked immediately. Perhaps those haters who are hanging around constantly are all the no goers. Guess majority didn't even know about that poll.
What amaze me a lot is why people feel a necessity to express their hate so much. I bought Wings of Prey also and didn't like neither how it looks nor plays but never wrote a word on its forums. I would probably never write a word here too if not so much of absolutely weird and irrational hate from some people.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.