Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3338944 - 07/10/11 03:59 PM Should I get  
RockEye Offline
RockEye  Offline

oklahoma city
Ok, I have been looking at the screen shots and reading the forums. The sim looks pretty but does it still studder and pause a lot. Is the game fixed. I know there will be some bugs but are there any game changers

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3338948 - 07/10/11 04:11 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
View these videos by Freycinet and judge for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcCr4y0Tms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3338963 - 07/10/11 04:37 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
My system runs it fine now on medium to high settings, mostly medium. I still get the occasional stutter or pause tbh but very infrequently. I has improved immensly since the initial release. My system isn't very high spec compared to Feycinets (check my sig) so I guess it's partly a question of how good your graphics card is.
Why dont you post your specs and someone with a similar system could give you a better answer.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3339015 - 07/10/11 06:38 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: RockEye
Ok, I have been looking at the screen shots and reading the forums. The sim looks pretty but does it still studder and pause a lot. Is the game fixed. I know there will be some bugs but are there any game changers

Suggest you read all the reviews and also look through the many threads on this forum. The video referred to

is very nice, but it only shows the game being played in a optimum conditions for the game. A few pages down there is

a thread titled "disappointment" , suggest you look at that one. Right now, most peoples' opinions I have read

say the game is a failure. Its got a lot of bugs because it was released too early. I have the game and hope the

devs can fix it but it does not look good imo. Some people can enjoy the game right now and dont mind the bugs.

But for me they are too annoying and just kill the experience. From my own playing the game I will give a short list

of some of the problems but this list is by no means inclusive of all:

Aircraft performance (airspeed) cannot come close to the actual aircraft especially at altitudes

Poor A. I. , predictable and not challenging

Poorly done sounds, also sounds non existent in online play. Its been reported sound is being redone and will take

months to get into the game.

Stuttering, snapping jerking and pausing frame rates very erratic, often not smooth. Game plays best when flying

over the channel as the pretty videos of certain people show. Over some land areas and over cities its quite a

different story, however.

The campaign is a complete joke. Its a Battle of Britain campaign in name only. Enough said there.

Some people dont like colours used in the landscape.. small issue for me but for some a big deal.

You can fly through trees without crashing. A very infuriated thing when playing online. Players can and do exploit

this.

The game was expected to have some kind of realistic weather and other features that were hyped early on have been

left out.

I am sure other players can give more pros and cons.. suggest you get a lot of perspectives from others.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3339041 - 07/10/11 07:18 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

When yor regard your money as spent for some fun now and lots of fun in the future, buy!
When you expect a faultless software , don't!
Imho, the most negative reviews and opinions come from disappointed people with high expectations,
they concentrate on what isn't working (sorrily quite a few things) and ignore in their postings what is working,
about 95% of the sim!
But, the devs ARE working on it, so the future IS bright, imo!

#3339046 - 07/10/11 07:26 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
HarryR Offline
HarryR  Offline

UK
Yes. Two words. 'Spitfire' 'Achtung!!'

Last edited by HarryR; 07/10/11 07:28 PM.

To..
#3339055 - 07/10/11 07:41 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Yes, my high expectations in a sim from 2011...

Sound.
Not getting kicked from servers or servers not crashing after a hour.
menus that work.
CO-OPs.
Aircraft that have a FM like the real thing.
FSAA

Yes, my high expectations from a sim that claims to represent the Battle of Britain...

A actual campaign where i can join a sqd or at least put my pilots name in somewhere.
A campaign where my stats are recorded as well as my missions.
Not spitgirl.
A landscape that looks like Britain.

But...somethings COD does fantastic.

Aircraft are beautiful and perfectly modeled.
Cockpits are a work of art, best in any sim anywhere.
lighting is fantastic.
Ground models could fit in a ground sim they are so detailed.
Smallish fighting over the coast looks awesome and sometimes like real footage
DM is prob the best ever seen in a flight sim.
Great CEM, really good fun to learn and use.

That's how i honestly feel.

If you wont miss the cash and are willing to take a chance on the bugs being fixed then go for it.

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 07/10/11 07:42 PM.
#3339069 - 07/10/11 08:15 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
DOWNLOADABLE PDF CLIFFS OF DOVER REVIEW
Optimised for iPAD viewing!

http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/cliffsofdoverreview.htm

"Probably the best review of CloD I've yet read. Very balanced and fair." Rattlehead, 1C Forums.

"I consider this review good work- I'd recommend it to everyone wondering if to buy or not. Subjective in a sense that makes perfect sense, using common sense." DocW, SimHQ Forums.

[Linked Image]
#3339076 - 07/10/11 08:33 PM Re: Should I get [Re: robtek]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
[quote=robtekImho, the most negative reviews and opinions come from disappointed people with high expectations,
they concentrate on what isn't working (sorrily quite a few things) and ignore in their postings what is working,
about 95% of the sim!
[/quote]

95% of this sim is working right?? Dude you have got to be kidding. Who else thinks that?

I would like to see how many agrees or disagrees. I will be kind and say this game gets about 60 - 65

percent. Where I went to college thats a D .

Asus P6T MB

#3339099 - 07/10/11 09:26 PM Re: Should I get [Re: commorange]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Well, thats your opinion, but then you only look at the surface.
The inner workings are there and doing their job, there is a completely new sound made and the defiencies in the FM will be corrected also.
But the necessary changes, while very important, are minuscule regarding to the sim as a whole.

#3339102 - 07/10/11 09:27 PM Re: Should I get [Re: HeinKill]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: HeinKill
DOWNLOADABLE PDF CLIFFS OF DOVER REVIEW
Optimised for iPAD viewing!

http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/cliffsofdoverreview.htm

Since other reviewers with equally valid comments are not on the forum to hype their own reviews.

I suggest you also read the following ones, if you are interested in somewhat more objective

perspectives: Eurogamer , UK PC Gamer, Gamespot

Asus P6T MB

#3339106 - 07/10/11 09:39 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
There is no point reading too much into a y of the reviews unless they are of the current build, this game bas varied in performance so much with each patch, some good but also some bad. A review of the game played in initial release will be quite different as to what we are now playing, and being as steam will update it to current spec upon installation is not valid.

Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3339137 - 07/10/11 10:17 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Commorange, not everybody has to share your negativity, so why are you trying to implement your pov so vigorously?
3 posts here already, are you afraid somebody could be happy with what is already working?

#3339169 - 07/10/11 11:06 PM Re: Should I get [Re: robtek]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: robtek
Commorange, not everybody has to share your negativity, so why are you trying to implement your pov so vigorously?
3 posts here already, are you afraid somebody could be happy with what is already working?

Robtek its called being able to be critical. You say the game is 95 percent working. Who is kidding who?

If you want to gush nectar all over the place about this game, fine. Just dont expect questionable

remarks to go unquestioned. My first post was my opinion to a poster that was asking for opinions. My third

post was to provide alternatives to a poster hyping his own review. My other post was a response to your

95% comment. By the way I dont agree with the person that said those older reviews are no longer valid because

most of the issues I have with this game have yet to be fixed. Do you think this game will ever be fixed if

everyone just gushes happiness over it? I will make you this promise, when the devs patch CoD and make it

right I will give them due credit, kudo's and laurels. I sincerely hope that happens. So far I dont see it

happening and that isnt negativity thats just the truth.

Last edited by commorange; 07/10/11 11:08 PM.

Asus P6T MB

#3339182 - 07/10/11 11:26 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
He is just making a pre- emtive strike before frey turns up smile it must get bloody frustrating trying to convince the people that can and do find some measure of value, and enjoyment out of the game that they are wrong. I am pretty sure even the most strident of fanboys will acknowledge the issues as well as the positives, when commenting on the game. I really fail to understand why anyone who has written a product off so completely would spend so much time hanging about in the forums?
Sort of reminds me of little boys who pretend they don't have a crush on a girl by calling her names!

Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3339196 - 07/10/11 11:52 PM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Rockeye are you the old Rockeyehp? Just wondering smile

Sim was fairly grim for me post the latest patch as it was crashing constantly.Being win7 and 4gb ram i have managed to get ot working very well now with the 3g switch , no crashes since then. Check this thread 3G SWITCH

I have not tried online yet , maybe later once i have my CEM skills down pat so i cant comment on that side.

Have been making a few missions and with 24 88s v 12 hurris, 12 109s ,4 spits , 6 tankers,2 minesweepers,8 herds of cows,4 flocks of seagulls and over 1300 added objects game is running fine.Too much flak seems to be the only slow down so have reduced my airfield protection from 12 88mm's to 4 ,dont know if it is a sound or graphic issue(flak explosions).All settings max except forest low ,shadows low.

AI needs some work, some silly manuevers etc.Game does look very nice , thats an in the eye of the beholder thingy though obviously, cockpits are glorious.The fmb is a fun thing though we do not have a manual so its a bit of a find it as you go with some things, the weather system is still to be fully implemented and should be a cool thing once finalised.Plenty of stuff working in there atm and plenty of potential for the future.

Check out heinkill's thread for a campaign overview as well, he seems to be having a heap of fun in there.

As for your main question, i have not really experienced any of the stuttery pausy problem since release except over London which now with the 3g switch as mentioned above is also fine.

If you like sims and your preference is WW11 then get your feet wet and judge it yourself smile For me its a no brainer.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3339214 - 07/11/11 12:38 AM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
RockEye Offline
RockEye  Offline

oklahoma city
Well, thank you for your replies. I think I will hold off until things are worked out

#3339260 - 07/11/11 02:00 AM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
DarkAngel Offline
DarkAngel  Offline

Herrick, Tasmania
Personally my biggest gripe with CoD is the lack of content. Its inability to live up to the developers promises aside there just isn't enough to it. For something that was supposed to be better than IL2 in this regards it has fallen woefully short. I guess also because of the games obvious problems there aren't a lot of people making content for it that i have seen. If they had just put in the sort of campaign that IL2 had it would have been better.

#3339339 - 07/11/11 04:42 AM Re: Should I get [Re: IV/JG7trumps]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: IV/JG7trumps
He is just making a pre- emtive strike before frey turns up smile it must get bloody frustrating trying to convince the people that can and do find some measure of value, and enjoyment out of the game that they are wrong. I am pretty sure even the most strident of fanboys will acknowledge the issues as well as the positives, when commenting on the game. I really fail to understand why anyone who has written a product off so completely would spend so much time hanging about in the forums?
Sort of reminds me of little boys who pretend they don't have a crush on a girl by calling her names!

Craig

Are you really referring to what I have posted in this thread?

If so you fail to understand it because you havent even got a clue what I said. Maybe you should try actually

reading what someone posts. Did you even read it at all? Most likely you just read the part that suited your

agenda to paint me as a frustrated little boy just because I dont agree with you. Please show me where I said I had

written off this game? Its interesting that you want to paint me as being a frustrated little boy and YOU are the

one that is making it personal.

Asus P6T MB

#3339401 - 07/11/11 08:48 AM Re: Should I get [Re: RockEye]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

trumps, the haters obviously don't have a life, or they'd be out there living it instead of wasting it commenting on a sim they detest so deeply.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.