Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3331840 - 06/30/11 06:59 AM The most pain I have been in.  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

Wednesday night my ears were feeling really sore after swimming a couple of days before but I just tried using Debrox drops to clear them out. By Thursday morning, after a night of no sleep and really intense pain I told my wife I needed to go to the doctor right now. I could barely hear out of either ear, and the pain was almost unbearable. The area just under my lobes was swollen giving me a chipmunk kinda look and I could not close my jaw to bite anything. One side was a little bit more swollen than the other making my lack of bite even more lopsided.

I got to the doctor that morning and he seemed more interested in talking into a recording deal than actually treating me as a person. They gave me an anti-inflammatory shot in the ass and some anti-inflammatory ear drops and anti-biotics. Nothing for pain, saying the drops will help with the pain. Problem is, my canals are swollen shut and drops cannot get in! Someone down there must have wised up because we got a call an hour after getting home telling us to come back down at 8:45am the next morning. It was a very rough night and Ibuprofin 3 at a time didnt even take the edge off. It was a different, younger doctor this time and told us we needed to see an Ear Nose Throat doctor right away. He said my hearing was at stake, ripped off a script for some Vicadin and got me squoze in at 10:45 with the ENT doc.

She said the anti-biotics they gave me would not work and she had to put sponges in my ear canal that drops could hit and soak in down the canal. She used a deal to squirt liquid in my ear and vacuum it out then insert the sponges. Apparently, another day or so and the infection could have breached the membrane and spread to my face and I would have more serious problems. Going for my 5th visit to the doctor in 7 days tomorrow and I am feeling better. Long story short, Vicadin could have possibly saved my life. I am not a big fan of pills at all and resist taking them when I am sick because I just feel it takes longer to heal that way but the pain was ridiculous. I have had pain before, but this type of pain is hard to describe. There is nothing that can be rubbed,iced, etc. Anyway, just thought I would share!

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3331858 - 06/30/11 08:16 AM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
For me: Having to clean the MRSA wound myself. The hospital removed the abcess without painkillers, but that was nothing compared to cleaning of the wound.

The other was my tonsils taken out and a palate revision as an adult. No solid food for 5 weeks and everyday when I drank water it felt like I was swallowing broken glass.

Oh and another toughy was when I walked 1/2 mile to get my ruptured appendix removed. My family doesn't feel their appendix inflame, only rupture.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3331859 - 06/30/11 08:29 AM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Axel40 Offline
Axel40  Offline

London
All good stuff and the inner ear's are really sensitive to pain I know and I can only imagine a ruptured Appendix!

Wait until you try a Kidney stone. Hope you never have to actually.
Passing them is the easy bit though, it's when they move on down through the Kidney is when the pain really starts. pitchafit

Sorry for your pain gents but we've all been there, lets hope that's it as far as that is concerned. biggrin

"Anti Aircraft fire is...very dangerous."
Eddie Rickenbacker 2009
#3331900 - 06/30/11 10:58 AM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Shredder Offline
Shredder  Offline

A farm in Iowa
Kidney stone FTW. Been burned, knifed, etc, etc, but I'd take anything over having another one of those damn things. I keep painkillers (and I mean the good stuff) on hand just in case.

#3331917 - 06/30/11 11:54 AM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
R_Suppards Offline
R_Suppards  Offline

melb australia
My worst was after open heart surgery. I had been in hospital for six months with blood poisoning before the op and so I was already weak. Nine hour operation to rebuild the heart and four days in intensive care. Then they moved me to a ward bed. Nurse told me later that she seriously considered sending me back to ICU. She said I was the only patient she had seen who was poured into a bed. General pain was bad enough the real pain came when I coughed. Having your rib cage opened is not nice and so any strain let's you know it's not welcome. Even though I was being pumped full of morphine I was given a tightly rolled towel and told to hold it tight against my sternum when I coughed. Try lying in bed and praying hard that the tickle in your throat won't cause you to cough.
As you so rightly said, many of us have been in that world for various reasons and none of us would wish it even on our worst enemy.

Last edited by R_Suppards; 06/30/11 11:56 AM.

Do not be led into temptation. Find it for yourself
#3331924 - 06/30/11 12:01 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Simbo_Sim123 Offline
Simbo_Sim123  Offline

Tonyrefail South Wales
Back in the late 80`s me the wife and two kids were in Pontypridd on a saturday afternoon shopping trip.I had the youngest boy (2.5 year old) sitting on my shoulders eating a chocolate Thorntons lollipop and was standing outside Princes Cafe looking at all the wonderfull cakes and pastries in the window while the wife was inside.When any of the kids sat on my shoulders I would hold on to each leg just to make sure they didn`t overbalance and topple backwards and they sat there quite comfortable and we had drummed it into the boys "Do not throw your rubbish on the floor ,give it to mam or dad"
Well Jar had finnished the lollipop and was left holding the round little stick and fairplay to the little bugger he did not throw it to the floor he pushed it into my right ear and pierced my eardrum ! The spasm of pain seemed to last for minutes as the world went into slow motion but it was only a second or two before I pulled the friggin` thing out and how I didn`t put my head through the shop window as a jerk reaction I do not know to this day,probably because he was on my shoulders.
That smarted a little bit.(It really feckin hurt,and brought tears to my eyes)so first stop on the way home was A&E at East Glamorgan Hospital where they confirmed a tear in the eardrum.
I have a hearing deficiency in my right ear hearing now and use a hearing aid.

Paul

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra m�d,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra m�r yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.
#3331950 - 06/30/11 12:37 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Watching Virus in the theater. The pain wouldn't stop for almost 2 hours. I was too doubled over to even walk out.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3331951 - 06/30/11 12:40 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I have a tie... both happening in the same week... passing a stone and getting tazed. wink

#3331984 - 06/30/11 01:21 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
kidney stones.....broke my pelvis once and it was a frickin' joke compared to kidney stones !!!

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3332023 - 06/30/11 02:35 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Wallimiyama Offline
Wallimiyama  Offline

Just south of the North Pole (...
Mine wasn't the ruptured appendix...it was the peritonitis afterward...I begged the nurses to let me die. The morphine was good for about 45 minutes...unfortunately, they'd only give it to me every 4 hours.

Wally
-Are we havin' fun yet?
#3332025 - 06/30/11 02:36 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Axel40]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted By: Axel40
All good stuff and the inner ear's are really sensitive to pain I know and I can only imagine a ruptured Appendix!

Wait until you try a Kidney stone. Hope you never have to actually.
Passing them is the easy bit though, it's when they move on down through the Kidney is when the pain really starts. pitchafit

Sorry for your pain gents but we've all been there, lets hope that's it as far as that is concerned. biggrin

I concur! Passing them for me was a piece of cake...but maybe I was lucky--and without ultrasound. I still have one left though, and it is less than 6mm in dia so they don't feel ultrasound is necessary. PLus it hasn't moved so...

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#3332027 - 06/30/11 02:38 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Shredder]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
Originally Posted By: Shredder
Kidney stone FTW. Been burned, knifed, etc, etc, but I'd take anything over having another one of those damn things. I keep painkillers (and I mean the good stuff) on hand just in case.

Ha, yeah me too. I have Norco in my medcab!

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#3332033 - 06/30/11 02:45 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
LugnutUSA Offline
LugnutUSA  Offline

VA, USA
Mine was 8 years ago this weekend.

Daytona, July 4th weekend 2003. Went down at the invite of a friend to see the NASCAR race.

The day before the race we hit the beach. We were talking while applying sunblock and - not paying attention - I forgot to put any on my legs from the knees down.

After 4 hours in the sun my lower legs were pretty badly burned. That night saw me out of bed, lying on the bathroom floor for a couple of hours, feeling like I was either going to be sick or pass out or both.

Driving back to Virginia a couple of days later was no picnic either. 11 hours in the car was absolute torture. I knew after I'd been home for about 30 minutes that I was going to need to go to the hospital because I was rapidly reaching a point where I wouldn't be able to walk anymore. I called some friends trying to get a ride, finally got a coworker to come by.

Spent a little time in the ER where the doctor told me "Yep, you got sunburned."

Gee, thanks doc.

Told me to keep my legs elevated and gave me a prescription for some painkillers. As soon as I put my legs down I figured out why he told me to keep them up as all the fluid that had built up in my legs went rushing back down. At that point, I was done - I couldn't walk anymore. They wheeled me out to the car, and when we got home my co-worker had to pick me up and carry me in.

I spent the next week either on the couch or in bed. Going to the kitchen for food or going to the bathroom meant a slow, agonizing crawl because there was no way in hell I could even think about standing up. I used the entire bottle of painkillers, PLUS a bottle I had left over from having my wisdom teeth removed that I didn't use. They didn't work, not that I could tell, but I tried anyway.

After that week, I was able to stand again but the damaged skin on my legs was drying out and flaking off. Any time I moved I could feel it pulling and stretching, sometimes splitting.

The skin on my legs now is a different texture than it was before and I have all sorts of little brown spots my doctor and I are keeping a close eye on.

Safe to say, that's the last time I ever went to the beach.

Last edited by LugnutUSA; 06/30/11 02:47 PM.

Active Sims: rFactor 1 & 2
#3332043 - 06/30/11 03:01 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Common story from people from "elsewhere" visiting a beach or Orlando in FL, especially in summer.

See, FL is about 2x closer to the sun than the rest of the US, so you never, NEVER spend any amount of time outside without being covered or wearing a half-tube of sunblock on every exposed surface.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3332050 - 06/30/11 03:13 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Kidney stones...nah. Had them. Try shingles in your eye.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3332052 - 06/30/11 03:14 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It seems kidney stones are pretty common. Anyone know what are some usual causes?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3332053 - 06/30/11 03:15 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
This should be called the "I'm old!" thread! Wounded old_simmer

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3332059 - 06/30/11 03:26 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I know there are some that I have succusfully blocked out. The last bad pain was last year during my 2nd Chemo treatments. Number 6 of 12. For some reason that time it was so bad if I could have gotten ahold of a knife I would have cut my arm off to stop the whole arm from hurting. All of the over treatments went pretty smooth besides throwing up, etc.

#3332060 - 06/30/11 03:28 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

I swim several times a week, but use earplugs. Gack!
Was this from swimming in a pool, or in salt or fresh water?

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3332067 - 06/30/11 03:37 PM Re: The most pain I have been in. [Re: Force10]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

2nd degree sunburn after playing at Ft Walton Florida beach all day. Blisters on my shoulders. Heading back to Ft Polk La while i was in the Army by buddy in the middle seat (bench seat in an S-10 pickup) decided to adjust himself. Placed his hands on my left shoulder (i was in the right side seat) burst the blisters and his hand slide down my shoulder bursting the rest of them.

Wasn't pleasant at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.