Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3330084 - 06/28/11 05:53 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
SsSsSsSsSnake Offline
SsSsSsSsSnake  Offline

Leicester UK
ok. I have always kept the latest full version on an external hard drive,(latest full and probably the last is 1.0.4.1 released yesterday.).
then install it. patching was never an issue with me ,always smooth and trouble free.I do sympathise with others who have probs with logging in/out patching etc and i always felt it was an ops. misunderstanding caused by gajiins mixed up way of doing it but maybe i was lucky:).

Graphics and smooth gameplay and quick MP fix are what sold it for me,im not a simmer so the fact that it is criticised for that didnt bother me,loved playing with friends on teamspeak in the first 6 months of release it was so much fun,not so many people online thesedays but i can nearly always find a game to join,if not i make my own and its rare to not be joined within 10 mins by afew others,

No its not perfect but ive had so much fun and pleasure from this game that i cant wait to ALPHA smile test World Of Planes the new upcoming game .

The review was fair and to the point but WOP im still playing whereas ROF and CLOD and IL2 1946 are no longer on my drive.

ssssssssssssssssssnake

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss
2600kI7.Corsair G60 liquid cooler.8gig corsair dominator,GTX580.64gig Crucial M4 ssd Win7 os.OCZ 120gig games SSD.Hazro 27" 2560x1440.
CH Fighter stick, CH pro throttle.CH rudder pedals.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3330148 - 06/28/11 09:43 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Spot on review, but I found the constant use of "console port" annoying too. One can't help but feel like you're venturing into PC Elitist territory there.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3330171 - 06/28/11 10:28 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: PFunk]  
MACADEMIC Offline
MACADEMIC  Offline

Malta
Originally Posted By: PFunk
To be fair, Mac, I think the title is far more popular where you are than where I am, and that's unfortunate. It's unfortunate because this game has potential and IT LOOKS AMAZING.

I really have been looking for a replacement for Jane's WW2 Fighters for a while now. CFS3 almost did it, but you needed the Airpower expansion in order for it look anything less than ugly. And even then, it wasn't a very good game.

IL2 was a cheating dog. I hated it for that very reason. It looked phenomenal, the flight dynamics were dead-on, but I didn't fly MP when it came out because unlike the rest of the country, I was in a rural area and living on dial-up internet. I loved the way it looked and flew, I hated the way it cheated in order to kill me.

I really wanted to like WOP and it pisses me off that I came away cold from it.

Hi PFunk,

Perhaps I should add that the game also feels amazing and very immersive due to its graphics. You get a feeling of flying as I haven't seen in any other flight simulation game yet, and you get the airplanes to do what you mostly would expect them to do. In more ways than not, the FMs are correct, especially as far as performance parameters are concerned.

The way the FMs achieve this isn't always what you would expect in a real airplane, but this is probably not that noticeable for a wider audience. Since you mention IL-2, the original Wings of Prey flight models were licensed from IL2-1946 version 4.0.5 there and have since been further developed.

No doubt some things could be better, but I have to admit that I'm perhaps more critical than most since I'm a real life pilot.

wink

MAC

#3330192 - 06/28/11 11:23 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
tankeriv Offline
tankeriv  Offline

Holland
Nice review! Enjoyed reading it.
Actually a bit of a shame that this game is even better than Clifs of Dover frown

specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3,2GHz, 16GB DDR3 2 x XFX Radeon 6870 2GB Crossfire, OZC Vertex 2 120GB, 2 x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPm
#3330234 - 06/28/11 12:23 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
LIONPRIDE Offline
LIONPRIDE  Offline

Originally Posted By: guod
Chuck "PFunk" Bellows reviews Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition.

http://SimHQ.com/_air13/air_474a.html

Where'd the Forums go? After the article read - It had me interested, but I see nothing to follow-up with.

#3330237 - 06/28/11 12:29 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
For me, "console port" implies a few things:

A menu system that can't be used with a mouse, just keyboard or gamepad, or the mouse is enabled but works poorly.
The ubiquitous "don't turn off your PC while you see this loading symbol" message that ONLY makes sense on a console.
A game tuned to a more visible reward system to get you to keep playing, the implicit message being that just playing the game alone won't be enough to hook you (note that there are PC-only games that do this, but it's far more common on the console side).
A tendency to "hand hold" the player thru most aspects of the game in lieu of letting them figure it out or (heaven forbid!) read a manual.
Overall limits on the technical aspects of the game that come from being designed to run on the (now very) dated hardware of the consoles.

Not every game I would label console port has all these things, but usually they have a majority.

I don't have WoP, so I can't say if it does or doesn't, closest I got was the BoP demo off XBL. That DID feel like a console game like Blazing Angels or Ace Combat as opposed to a sim like Il-2 or CFS, but I know BoP and WoP aren't identical.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3330329 - 06/28/11 02:06 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
In fairness, PFunk stated he doesn't like IL-2's FM's, so no suprise he didn't like WoP's!

I can't speak to the rest, as I didn't get past the demo; just wasn't my cup of tea.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3330339 - 06/28/11 02:16 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: MACADEMIC]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted By: MACADEMIC
To be fair, Mac, I think the title is far more popular where you are than where I am, and that's unfortunate. It's unfortunate because this game has potential and IT LOOKS AMAZING.

I really have been looking for a replacement for Jane's WW2 Fighters for a while now. CFS3 almost did it, but you needed the Airpower expansion in order for it look anything less than ugly. And even then, it wasn't a very good game.

IL2 was a cheating dog. I hated it for that very reason. It looked phenomenal, the flight dynamics were dead-on, but I didn't fly MP when it came out because unlike the rest of the country, I was in a rural area and living on dial-up internet. I loved the way it looked and flew, I hated the way it cheated in order to kill me.

Hi PFunk,

Perhaps I should add that the game also feels amazing and very immersive due to its graphics. You get a feeling of flying as I haven't seen in any other flight simulation game yet, and you get the airplanes to do what you mostly would expect them to do. In more ways than not, the FMs are correct, especially as far as performance parameters are concerned.

The way the FMs achieve this isn't always what you would expect in a real airplane, but this is probably not that noticeable for a wider audience. Since you mention IL-2, the original Wings of Prey flight models were licensed from IL2-1946 version 4.0.5 there and have since been further developed.

No doubt some things could be better, but I have to admit that I'm perhaps more critical than most since I'm a real life pilot.

wink

MAC

Good to hear from a REAL pilot, Macademic, that the FMs in WoP are good. PFunk seemed to have an "agenda" in his review. That's the feeling I got reading it. At least WoP actually works, i.e., is exactly as pre-advertised, unlike ClOD. If one doesn't like WoP, well some don't like chocolate chip cookies. It's a matter of taste. But it least it provides exactly what people who waited for it and play it were looking for--the natural successor to Janes WWII Fighters, which is exactly what I was lookinng for (for years) and is exactly what I got.

CLoD on the other hand, is nowhere close to what it was advertised to be and what its fanboys were looking for. 40% from GAmespot and 45% from the best and most respected flight/racing sim reviewer on the planet, Andy Mahood, is brutally telling.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3330361 - 06/28/11 02:35 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Well I do appreciate Macademic's feedback and comments here at SimHQ, especially from a piolt... but in fairness you really should identify who you are in relations to this game and the development team... if you are so connected.

Pfunk and I have never seen eye to eye on games and reviews... but a review is the authors opinion... it's not a statement of fact... his reviews or mine... you got to know the reviewer and know if you agree with him most of the time to take a review to heart... Pfunk has many readers here who agree with his opinions and articles, and some that don't... same with me... many agree with my tactical reviews and articles, many don't... you weigh your virtual relationship with the writer to help make up your opinion about a game.

so no review is right or wrong... sure you readers have a right to voice your own opinions and ideas, agreements and disagreements... but to simply say a review is "wrong" or the reviewer "had a bad day" is BS... be more constructive, will ya.

#3330371 - 06/28/11 02:44 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
LIONPRIDE Offline
LIONPRIDE  Offline

...um ... sigh ... didn't there used to be a forum topic for WoP under the WWII era Flight Sims?

#3330396 - 06/28/11 03:04 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
There's a Gaijin forum now, since they've got not only WOP but 2 more titles in the works. Best way to do it, too many forums anyway. LOL Now if the IL2 forums could just get combined...
wink

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3330442 - 06/28/11 04:11 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: Plainsman]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: Plainsman
Originally Posted By: MACADEMIC

Hi PFunk,

wink

MAC

Good to hear from a REAL pilot, Macademic, that the FMs in WoP are good. PFunk seemed to have an "agenda" in his review. That's the feeling I got reading it. At least WoP actually works, i.e., is exactly as pre-advertised, unlike ClOD. If one doesn't like WoP, well some don't like chocolate chip cookies. It's a matter of taste. But it least it provides exactly what people who waited for it and play it were looking for--the natural successor to Janes WWII Fighters, which is exactly what I was lookinng for (for years) and is exactly what I got.

CLoD on the other hand, is nowhere close to what it was advertised to be and what its fanboys were looking for. 40% from GAmespot and 45% from the best and most respected flight/racing sim reviewer on the planet, Andy Mahood, is brutally telling.

Accusing an agenda is at best, rude and at worst defamatory. That's a classless thing to do, and it's a review, so of course it's opinion based.

Also, CoD being 'bad' doesn't make WoP 'good', and it's laughable that keeps getting brought up.I don't know why you'd even want to come to a sim review site or forum if you start with the broken attitude that other people's opinions are always wrong.

Like Magnum said, why so negative all the time?

#3330443 - 06/28/11 04:11 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
This game may be for some, but it just wasn't for me, for the reasons I've outlined.

I like that they tried and I wish them luck on future endeavors, but it simply didn't meet the criterion I have to label something a sim, which makes me something I really hate admitting, a hardcore acolyte...of sorts. There's certain things a title has to do and WOP just didn't do it. Worse, it didn't work. Buyers purchasing the package are thinking the Luftwaffe content is included, and in my case, it wasn't. That alone gave it a real black eye for me. Your product needs to work out of the box, it just has to function, or you're asking for trouble. Look at the launch of Cliffs of Dover if you need any further evidence of that.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3330457 - 06/28/11 04:25 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: PFunk]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

This game may be for some, but it just wasn't for me, for the reasons I've outlined.

I like that they tried and I wish them luck on future endeavors, but it simply didn't meet the criterion I have to label something a sim, which makes me something I really hate admitting, a hardcore acolyte...of sorts. There's certain things a title has to do and WOP just didn't do it. Worse, it didn't work. Buyers purchasing the package are thinking the Luftwaffe content is included, and in my case, it wasn't. That alone gave it a real black eye for me. Your product needs to work out of the box, it just has to function, or you're asking for trouble. Look at the launch of Cliffs of Dover if you need any further evidence of that.

You didn't really write anything particularly out-of-line with SimHQ's core audience - a quick look at the forums main page and the 'viewing now' numbers show what people are playing and what's interesting to them.

The WoP sequel looks really promising, but WoP itself struggled to establish itself (rightly or wrongly) as a sim.

#3330831 - 06/28/11 11:47 PM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Lionpride, the Gaijin consolidated forum is here:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/189/1/Gaijin_Flight_Series.html

A reminder to everyone that PFunk reviewed the Collector's Edition, which was just recently made available, and not the original WoP release. To receive a boxed, retail DVD then have to download gigabytes to get it current on a 3 month old release is just wrong no matter how it is sliced.

Plainsman... agenda, huh? PFunk and I were both surprised at the outcome and frankly going in, we both expected it to show better than it did. No agenda.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3331057 - 06/29/11 07:17 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
spiffyscimitar Offline
spiffyscimitar  Offline

I think the game's biggest problem was that it failed to match the mission balance with the level of realism. IE, the campaign was unplayable on anything but arcade, and the single missions were only sometimes tailored for simulator or realistic modes. On top of that, the AI, which needs a giant helping hand in arcade mode as the player is neigh invincible, retains all kinds of advantages in the harder modes which make them too godlike when the player is subject to more lifelike restrictions.

#3331093 - 06/29/11 10:02 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: citizen guod]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
I found the review very fair and PFunk shares my own experience with WoP. Probably the most beautiful looking Flight Sim on the market, but let down by the gameplay.
I still have the game but very rarely fire it up.

I just hope WoP 2 pulls everything together.

#3331683 - 06/30/11 12:02 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: Robusti]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Originally Posted By: Icarus1
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
a quick look at the forums main page and the 'viewing now' numbers show what people are playing and what's interesting to them.

If that's true, it shows they like nice looking buggy unfinished software LOL......CoD

Again, I don't understand the "CoD sucks, so WOP is better" rationale. They BOTH have serious problems, neither one does what it said it would.

Neither one really amounts to a sim because in my opinion FOR RIGHT FRICKIN' NOW neither one does what it was intended to. WOP isn't a sim because it doesn't act like one. It acts like a game. COD isn't a sim because it isn't finished.

So people will understand where I'm coming from, let me explain my background so you can see what I think a sim is. My first flight-themed PC game was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, shortly after that, I spent way too much time on MicroProse's Stealth Fighter 2.0. So I go back a ways.

Every flight sim has a following, a 'camp'. You have Falcon fanbois, Jane's F-15 and F-18 guys, and so on. Everyone thinks 'their' sim is the best. I am a Flankerite. I consider it a sim. I consider IL-2 a sim. I consider MSFS a sim. You beginning to see a trend?

Those are all sims because I think they mimicked flight to a proper degree that puts them in that category. Also, they worked.

WOP is not a sim. It remains to be seen if COD will ever become one.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3331691 - 06/30/11 12:12 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: Plainsman]  
cv Offline
cv  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
I once flew a commercial airliner in real time from New York City to London.

Gee I hope you had in-flight service readytoeat

#3331699 - 06/30/11 12:22 AM Re: Review: Wings of Prey: Collector's Edition [Re: PFunk]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

PFunk - absolutely agree, well said.

I regularly play IL2, WoP, CoD, RoF, FSX, DCS:A10, DCS:BS, BC2, BF2 PR, ArmA2, a whole bunch of RTS's and way (way) more console titles. They are all different and they are all good at what they do. Picking one as a 'mortal enemy' or one as some sort of 'promised-land' makes no sense.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.