Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3319575 - 06/15/11 07:17 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
kramer Offline
Hotshot
kramer  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio
Decision to pull Crysis 2 from Steam was not made by EA

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/15/crysis-2-now-only-on-origin-d2d-impulse-more/#more-180010

EA to bring more exclusives to Origin, not ready to dump D2D and Impulse

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/15/ea-to-br...se/#more-180144

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3319577 - 06/15/11 07:20 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: kramer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: newman
Decision to pull Crysis 2 from Steam was not made by EA

http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/15/crysis-2-now-only-on-origin-d2d-impulse-more/#more-180010

Ah, thanks for that info which claries things quite a bit.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3319627 - 06/15/11 08:09 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Or does it? They don't say what those terms are. Do they want it to be a miserable situation like we get with GFWL and Steam running at the same time for stuff like the Codemasters' racing titles and Bioshock 2? Steam + Origin? If that's the case, I'd gladly NOT get it on Steam because needing 2 to run is just lame.
I could've understood an upcoming title (like BF3 or ME3) being bit by this, but Crysis 2 has already been there for months. What gives NOW?
All I can say is I'm glad I don't have Crysis 2 yet because I would likely have had it on Steam and this would just suck.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3319736 - 06/15/11 11:16 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I'm going to be honest, I haven't seen a huge difference in performance when Steam or GFWL were running while gaming.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3319747 - 06/15/11 11:39 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Mace71]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
I really don't understand why people have an irrational dislike of certain online services or DRM. The only answer I come up with is that they like to complain.

For me, it's just that it becomes a ridiculous juggling game. I've already got TWO online download stores and their client software installed on my PC. Each with at least one login (one may have a separate forums login). Then I have two "Play for Free" titles that also have separate logins and updaters. Then a login account for some CD/DVD based PC games just to play online.

Nevermind those days when I had client software and logins for my music store purchases.

I've got a memo with all these logins so I can actually get IN to play my games. I've had to change these passwords for a couple of accounts due to warnings about "security risks" that are not really described all that well, but they still force me to change the password.

I've had accounts stolen/hijacked. And I've had the credit cards which are saved in those accounts racked with unauthorized charges from who knows who.

At the end of the day, there is no reason for any of it. There are online game stores where you download your game image, burn a media backup, install and play. No client in the middle. Same with download music. No client or autoupdaters, or other junk. Just buy and play as I wish. Where I wish. And on any device I wish.

The argument I never understood, was that putting a DVD or CD in a player was such a struggle compared to all the above. By that argument, we've been struggling since the days of the wax cylinder. Because excluding downloads, streams, or broadcasts, most everything requires inserting media... Cartridge consoles, DVD and Bluray movies, record players, digital cameras, and PC games.

But let me go back... Yes there IS a reason for lots of these logins: Sales. Keeping your software client/store inseparable from the goods you sell keeps your brand on the customer's mind. It allows you to collect information which advertisers will pay for, generating additional revenue.

This can be extended even to websites like YouTube. Do you know the one reason I signed up there? To be able to click ONE little button that prevented HD video from being the default playback. That is something a simple cookie could contain. Just like when I visit a website that wants to know my preferred language. They don't force me to give them contact details to get in, they store the flag in a cookie. And when I return, my preference is retained.

But of course a simple old cookie would do nothing to get them some more member info to track... unless I know enough, take time enough, or actually care enough, to go through all the hoops of "opting out" of everything that comes along for the ride. IF that's even possible.

I thought it was really fantastic when YouTube notified me that it had detected my Gmail account cookie... and then BLOCKED ACCESS to YouTube until I agreed to merge my YouTube, Gmail, and other Google accounts.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3319753 - 06/15/11 11:52 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: adlabs6]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: adlabs6
--------
I thought it was really fantastic when YouTube notified me that it had detected my Gmail account cookie... and then BLOCKED ACCESS to YouTube until I agreed to merge my YouTube, Gmail, and other Google accounts.

I loved that little gem too. Cuss
I didn't have any other Google accounts so I was really ticked when they forced me to create a Google account just to be able to login to my YouTube account. It had been optional for about 6 months and I kept refusing until they made it a requirement to have a Google account to Login to your YouTube account and since I didn't want to lose my YouTube account I did it.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3319800 - 06/16/11 01:33 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
I think the notion that if anything is wrong with the online confirmation process, you cannot play a game you've bought and paid for.

And that's annoying. I've only been in one situation where Steam wasn't able to install a backup of a game because the servers were busy...probably washing their hair or something. I don't object to an online check, I object to service outages that prevent me from playing a game. Luckily, it's been rare for me.

We've done it to ourselves. Piracy is more of a problem than gamers want to admit to because people are used to being able to download something for nothing and some just don't see anything wrong with it.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3319905 - 06/16/11 04:47 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Amuro Offline
Amuro  Offline

About damn time!
Finally can pay local prices when buying digital new releases, which are 15-20% lower than the US prices that Steam charges.

Last edited by Amuro; 06/16/11 04:48 AM.
#3319914 - 06/16/11 05:01 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Amuro]  
Hartford688 Offline
Hartford688  Offline

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Amuro
About damn time!
Finally can pay local prices when buying digital new releases, which are 15-20% lower than the US prices that Steam charges.

Really? Are they cheaper? Here in the Netherlands, when I have been to the EA store they were always very expensive. Hence never bought there. Is Origin going to change that?

#3319952 - 06/16/11 06:48 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Can someone explain to me why Steam games are so expensive in Europe? They are the same price as games sold in stores in the USA. Accept we don't have to pay sales tax.

#3319994 - 06/16/11 09:30 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Ultimatebadass Offline
Ultimatebadass  Offline

Poland, Lodz
Origin (formerly EADM) has one advantage if you're living outside "privileged" areas (UK, US, Euro-zone,etc.) - all the games are available in my local currency at prices roughly equal to what you pay in a regular store. In contrast : a new game on steam will cost me about 50euro ~ 200pln, I can buy the same game on release day at a local shop for ~130pln (AND I get a disc so i don't have to wait for download) confused . Often said game can/has to be activated on steam regardless.

That said, the deals they have on steam are sometimes just awesome. I already have around 80 games on my steam account, compared to 4 on EADM/Origin wink

#3319998 - 06/16/11 09:47 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Hartford688]  
Amuro Offline
Amuro  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hartford688
Originally Posted By: Amuro
About damn time!

Really? Are they cheaper? Here in the Netherlands, when I have been to the EA store they were always very expensive. Hence never bought there. Is Origin going to change that?

Yeah, they're cheaper here in Hong Kong. For example, BF3 pre-order at the HK EA store is only 300 HKD which is 38.4654 USD.

#3320003 - 06/16/11 10:04 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Flyboy]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
If you have 4 GB of RAM or higher then it shouldn't be an issue. smile

If Magnum is anything like me, it's just the principle of the matter.

What principle?

What do you mean 'What principle?'

The one that states we don't want tens of background progams running just to play a couple games. The one that states we don't want to have to join 5 websites or services just to be able to buy the odd game. The one that states that even though we have more spec to play with, some of us still have to have all the available system resources we can muster.

Imagine if every game publisher had its own online game distribution service like Steam, and their games were only available from there...

Get it now?

Wow, you really are annoyed. Still don't understand as I have never had a problem with these facilities. They don't create them to piss you off you know, they see it as helping you keep all your games in one place which I like and don't see a problem with it.

People whinging about them and DRM annoys me though as it's 'the in thing to do'.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3320007 - 06/16/11 10:32 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Mace71]  
RSColonel_131st Online biggrin
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Online Biggrin
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I really don't understand why people have an irrational dislike of certain online services or DRM. The only answer I come up with is that they like to complain.

Two Words just to get you started: Sony Hack

That's the short version for saying lotsa people are not comfortable with centralized external control over their gaming investment, especially when multiple vendors and this multiple points of failure are involved.

Edited in:

Quote:
Still don't understand as I have never had a problem with these facilities. They don't create them to piss you off you know, they see it as helping you keep all your games in one place which I like and don't see a problem with it.

1) Just because you never had a problem doesn't mean these services don't have problems.

2) They create them not to "help you keep all your games in one place" (my games are all on my HD, ready to play without disk, not hard to find). They create them like Adlabs brilliantly detailed to keep track of you, to tie you in as customer, to milk your personal data for all it's marketing worth. They create them to shut down the second hand game market and contravene exsisting common law practice as far as "ownership" of software is concerned. Basically these online stores are created to exercise as much control as possible over the customer. Not because they feel you need help managing your game library.

#3320023 - 06/16/11 11:32 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Mace71]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Wow, you really are annoyed. Still don't understand as I have never had a problem with these facilities. They don't create them to piss you off you know, they see it as helping you keep all your games in one place which I like and don't see a problem with it.

People whinging about them and DRM annoys me though as it's 'the in thing to do'.

I'm not annoyed, just pointing out a few fundamental 'principles' as to why people don't like these kind of online game distribution systems.

#3320458 - 06/16/11 08:50 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Mace71]  
tankeriv Offline
tankeriv  Offline

Holland

It doesnt have anything to do with liking to complain.
If I have worked very hard for a few dollars., and I want to buy something. I want something to be mine. I dont want to be depending on someone. With Steam you are depending upon their services and grieves. If you like it or not. You are attached to them. You need them. And that is frustrating. I like it when I have a game and I dont have to go on line or have steam installed. If I notice that Steam is required it is already a show stopper for me...

I like to have the physical box in my hands. I do not want to be depending on their stuff. I want to do it myself.

The problem is that way too many people put their fate and everything in the hands of steam. Therewith giving them an awe full lots of power. Power we actually do not want them to have. But still we are ignorantly buying stuff with Steam and even buying much stuff from Steam. I can understand the ease of it. But in the end it brings us more troubles than goodwill. And thats the point.

specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3,2GHz, 16GB DDR3 2 x XFX Radeon 6870 2GB Crossfire, OZC Vertex 2 120GB, 2 x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPm
#3320857 - 06/17/11 11:25 AM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: tankeriv]  
Fevriul Offline
ShowTime 100
Fevriul  Offline
ShowTime 100

Agree , at least with the DCS downloads you are getting a physical file, which means you can burn a copy, so you are not screwed over if the compnay goes bust.

But steam and the like you are at the mercy of that retailer still being in business, and I'm sorry but buying a DVD and loading it on your own system, and then being force to download it again from steam, they can go take a running jump!

I no hyprocrit I have got things that I bought off steam, but most of my games , 99% I have the physical disk, no way am I spending out tions for DRM downloads that I can't sell on !

#3321166 - 06/17/11 06:27 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Mace71]  
LawnDartLeo Offline
LawnDartLeo  Offline

If it doesn't unreasonably limit my rights as a legal license holder, and it doesn't effect my system performance, security or privacy in any way that I find objectionable... Fine, I'll cope with it.

You tell me when there is a DLC/DRM solution that fits the bill.

LawnDartLeo
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz CPU (oc'd 4.3)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Heat Sink
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2 x 2GB) RAM
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard
Windows 7 Professional O/S
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Disk
Gigabyte GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0 GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Video Card
Corsair Gaming Series GS600 600W Power Supply
#3321243 - 06/17/11 08:30 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Fevriul]  
RSColonel_131st Online biggrin
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Online Biggrin
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted By: Fevriul
Agree , at least with the DCS downloads you are getting a physical file, which means you can burn a copy, so you are not screwed over if the compnay goes bust.

Sorry but that's a mistake. DCS needs server-side activation, if the company server goes down you won't be able to reinstall.

#3322564 - 06/19/11 07:22 PM Re: Crysis 2 pulled from Steam? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Hammer* Offline
Hammer*  Offline

Norwich, CT
Its fun to #%&*$#!

Yep, I don't post allot. But I still love you.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.