Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3320048 - 06/16/11 12:11 PM MS Sidewinder FFB2, should I buy?  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Hi all,
I found a really good deal in an online store for the above mentioned controller.
I know its not produced for some time now, but according to the pictures and the seller, it is in perfect condition.
How risky is to buy it?
I have no chance to test it before buy, and based on my experiences with other joys (not too expensive ones), after 1-2 years I am always facing precision and structural issues.
In any other case I wouldn't buy a used controller, but so far I read great reviews of this on various sites.
If some of you using MS FFB2, would you be so kind to help me out with some experiences?
(sorry for bad spelling and grammar)

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3321103 - 06/17/11 04:46 PM Re: MS Sidewinder FFB2, should I buy? [Re: Staniol]  
Rakov Offline
Rakov  Offline

I just got one myself last month, first FFB I've ever had. It has changed, on an emotional level, how much I enjoy flying, how much more accurate I am flying, how much more I'm immersed. I now live in fear that it might die, and I won't be able to find another.

I don't know if you have another high quality stick, but the MSFFB really was great for me. I paid $55 including shipping.

#3321967 - 06/18/11 07:53 PM Re: MS Sidewinder FFB2, should I buy? [Re: Staniol]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

If it really is a good deal, go for it!

No, it doesn't have a lot of buttons or analog axis inputs, but the reason is why it's so revered is that the centering forces are tight, and it's very precise. Perfect for the likes of IL-2 or RoF. (Maybe even DCS: Black Shark for the trim system.) It's something you'd actually have to use to understand.

#3321986 - 06/18/11 08:21 PM Re: MS Sidewinder FFB2, should I buy? [Re: Staniol]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
OK, thanks for your updates, I'll go for it and update you.
(I love DCS, and you are right, understanding and practising the trim system took some time, but now it looks soo logical.)
I have a Saitek cyborg, and was great for 1 year, but now its far from being precise.

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3322080 - 06/18/11 10:46 PM Re: MS Sidewinder FFB2, should I buy? [Re: NamelessPFG]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone
Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
(Maybe even DCS: Black Shark for the trim system.)

I believe the consensus is that it's perfect for BS, I've found it so, and coupled with a good throttle w/ lots of buttons you're pretty much set.

#3322185 - 06/19/11 03:13 AM Re: MS Sidewinder FFB2, should I buy? [Re: tagTaken2]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Originally Posted By: tagTaken2
(Maybe even DCS: Black Shark for the trim system.)

I believe the consensus is that it's perfect for BS, I've found it so, and coupled with a good throttle w/ lots of buttons you're pretty much set.

I would normally agree, but while my Cougar throttle has enough switches for the likes of IL-2 and RoF, it doesn't seem like quite enough for DCS: Black Shark to offset the SWFFB2's lack of them.

In particular, a dual-stage trigger would come in handy; I could easily program my Cougar to have TG1 flip down the guns trigger and TG2 fire the guns, while letting off TG1 flips the guns trigger back up for missile usage with S2. Alternatively, they should have a unified fire button binding given that the guns and missile triggers are separate binds, but obviously don't work without hitting a third bind to switch between the two.

So why don't I use the Cougar stick in the first place? Force-sensing mods don't really lend themselves well to the Ka-50, and the FFB trim helps a lot.

#3322202 - 06/19/11 04:06 AM Re: MS Sidewinder FFB2, should I buy? [Re: NamelessPFG]  
tagTaken2 Offline
tagTaken2  Offline

Gone

I would normally agree, but while my Cougar throttle has enough switches for the likes of IL-2 and RoF, it doesn't seem like quite enough for DCS: Black Shark to offset the SWFFB2's lack of them.

I suppose it comes down to exactly what we need to hand.

I get by with MSFFB2 buttons + Thrustmaster Top Gun II throttle/stick (stick used as button bay)- JoyToKey is used as button assigns, and also to program axes on Top Gun to keypresses

MSFFB2 buttons in numerical order:

Fire gun
Cockpit view (yes, I like external views smile
Fire missle
Toggle gun/missle
HMS
Burst s/m/long
(Shift)
Turn on-target

Hat switch rotates external views and works with (Shift) for External/Flypast/Weapon to target/Hostile

Thrustmaster Top Gun:

Lock Shkval
Designate target
Toggle Auto/Boresight cannon/rockets
Centre pipper
Flares
Flight Director Collective lock)
Trim (Hover)
(Shift)

Hatswitch moves Shkval view
Joystick directions control weapon selection and Shkval zoom
Rudder controls tracking gate size.

I could be a bit more economical with the shifted keys, but you go with what feels right to the individual and the keyboard is right here anyway.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.