Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#3316697 - 06/11/11 09:56 PM Disappointed ***  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

You know it doesn't matter if your a "hater" or a "fanboy", this is all that counts...

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ (click the top 100 games)

And COD just isnt cutting it...i think we have one more chance with the next patch plus US release.

God, i sound negative, wish i didn't...but its how im feeling about it right now... frown

does anyone know where to find the stats for COD?

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 06/15/11 06:27 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3316710 - 06/11/11 10:30 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
swampthng Offline
swampthng  Offline

honestly, and i don't mean this to be argumentative, but does this game really deserve in it's current state to be in the top 100 in the first place? In the shape it's in, i don't think it does. As it stands it's a bargain bin title or a value title.

The US release might bump it a little but i think the damage to this game has been done, it's a lemon and most folks will probably stay with 1946. Even if all the bugs in this game are 100% fixed, it's still not much of a game. The campaign is really lackluster and there's tons more planes to choose from in 1946.

#3316722 - 06/11/11 10:59 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: swampthng]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: swampthng
honestly, and i don't mean this to be argumentative, but does this game really deserve in it's current state to be in the top 100 in the first place? In the shape it's in, i don't think it does. As it stands it's a bargain bin title or a value title.

The US release might bump it a little but i think the damage to this game has been done, it's a lemon and most folks will probably stay with 1946. Even if all the bugs in this game are 100% fixed, it's still not much of a game. The campaign is really lackluster and there's tons more planes to choose from in 1946.

Agree fully. As a game, it's broken in many ways as we all well know. This gives it zilch market appeal to the masses, as the Steam stats indicate. No sales = no funds for further development. A very small niche enjoy this sim for the technical appeal - but our numbers are small. The powerful gamer crowd (ie. as in BUYING power) understandably have little patience for CoD for its troubles and won't bother with it after reading the dismal reviews.

It's a darn shame because this sim has tremendous potential which may never be realized, unless 3rd party developers can step in. In the meantime, a very few of us are getting huge enjoyment out of it for what it DOES offer. Mods such as those already offered by Kegytsis (sp?) and Jafa are exciting to a few of us because they point the way to other improvements that hopefully are in the pipeline.

This sim reminds me of another passion of mine. When someone asks how I could possibly enjoy a broken game like Cliffs of Dover the most suitable reply is "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand......" smile

Last edited by Snapper; 06/11/11 11:01 PM. Reason: Stupid auto spell corrected is......stupid....:)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3316727 - 06/11/11 11:16 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Honestly, I very much doubt that Cliffs of Dover would have made the top 100 even if it was the best sim ever made. In its current state it has few good points as a sim and none as a game. If we look at Rise of Flight it had a troubled start but after two years it has almost reached classic status (only the poor AI are holding it back IMHO). It was expensive at over $200 for the base game and every addon released but after two years it is finally worth it.

Cliffs of Dover was and still is in a worse state than RoF was on release. Right now I can't even be bothered to load it up but I will certainly support it financially by purchasing any addons when (if) released. Hopefully in two years it will have pulled of a Rise of Flight type pheonix from the flames, but right now we should not kid ourselves that it is somehow deserving of any right to belong in any gaming top 100.

#3316768 - 06/12/11 01:02 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Nickel Offline
Nickel  Offline

Well, give it a minute.... http://pc.ign.com/articles/772/772285p1.html ,scroll down a bit.

#3316775 - 06/12/11 01:29 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005AD
Honestly, I very much doubt that Cliffs of Dover would have made the top 100 even if it was the best sim ever made. In its current state it has few good points as a sim and none as a game. If we look at Rise of Flight it had a troubled start but after two years it has almost reached classic status (only the poor AI are holding it back IMHO). It was expensive at over $200 for the base game and every addon released but after two years it is finally worth it.

Cliffs of Dover was and still is in a worse state than RoF was on release. Right now I can't even be bothered to load it up but I will certainly support it financially by purchasing any addons when (if) released. Hopefully in two years it will have pulled of a Rise of Flight type pheonix from the flames, but right now we should not kid ourselves that it is somehow deserving of any right to belong in any gaming top 100.

After the Euro release it was placed about 70th for about two weeks. Currently Wings of Prey is at 78th which is impressive, i.e. it would be a fair statement to make that WoP is a more popular game today that CoD, especially as CoD is a pure steamworks game and not all WoP players are even registered via Steam. smile

There is a tiny chance 1C have disabled stats, perhaps to do with temporarily disabling the Valve Anti Cheat (VAC) stuff (since people are using mods online and I don't think 1C want to ban anyone yet accidently). Personally I think the number of people playing is down, so it's dropped out the top 100. 1C and Steam have the stats outside the 100, but there is no way to publicly see them.

PS It would be fairer to look earlier GMT I suppose, as the chart updates per hour and CoD isn't on sale in the US.

Last edited by FearlessFrog; 06/12/11 01:32 AM. Reason: We live on a sphere
#3316781 - 06/12/11 01:50 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
911dan Offline
911dan  Offline

Quote:
this is all that counts

No, it isn't. What I think is all that counts.

#3316855 - 06/12/11 03:47 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: 911dan]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: 911dan
Quote:
this is all that counts

No, it isn't. What I think is all that counts.

Smash By gosh your right Dan. what you think is what counts. I wish I had said that first

though.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3316928 - 06/12/11 07:07 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Well Dan, i hope UBI is listening to you...and what you think is good. smile Frog...maybe your right about the stats, lets hope with the next patch and the US release MP gets the kick in the arse it needs.
We need the straight forward CO-OPs of IL2, couple of sqd mates just being able to have a mission up and running quick with no hassle. forget the 128 player stuff right now, make it fun and fast.
I used to run CO-OPs all night back in the day for IL2, was a great way to train sqd guys and get members of the public playing proper missions with teamwork and objectives.

#3316947 - 06/12/11 07:56 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Without an engaging career mode a la ROF, I don't see myself buying COD any time soon.

#3316953 - 06/12/11 08:20 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
Well Dan, i hope UBI is listening to you...and what you think is good. smile Frog...maybe your right about the stats, lets hope with the next patch and the US release MP gets the kick in the arse it needs.
We need the straight forward CO-OPs of IL2, couple of sqd mates just being able to have a mission up and running quick with no hassle. forget the 128 player stuff right now, make it fun and fast.
I used to run CO-OPs all night back in the day for IL2, was a great way to train sqd guys and get members of the public playing proper missions with teamwork and objectives.

Sounds like exactly what I need, I have just started venturing online now that I can fly without blowing up my engines -most of the time anyway- and now that my head tracker is finaly working, (my top hat never worked on online servers which forced me to finish off my build)I was flying around in a spit last night looking for some enemy contact and after not spotting any after a few minutes I set my trim for a gentle climb, flicked back into windows to adjust some settings in freetrack, no more than 60 seconds I'm sure, when I came back I had no elevator or rudder controls, looking back I saw the reason, a 109 was behind me, he must have seen me looking around the cockpit for something and decided that I must be low on ammo, because he was giving me all of his. Anyway I got 'owned' a few times last night and I couldn't find anyone worse than me to bully either! A co-op sounds good to me, I never played Il-2(or any flight sim since Knights of the Sky and F16 Fighting Falcon on the Atari ST) so I feel a bit of friendly guidance would be very helpful. Any volenteers/friendly servers/helpful suggestions for a pilot on a steep learning curve?

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3316989 - 06/12/11 09:56 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
ZG26_Emil Offline
ZG26_Emil  Offline

Cheshire....Ok stockport
You know it doesnt matter if your a "hater" or a "fanboy", this is all that counts...

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ (click the top 100 games)

And COD just isnt cutting it...i think we have one more chance with the next patch plus US release.

God, i sound negative, wish i didnt...but its how im feeling about it right now... frown

does anyone know where to find the stats for COD?

Didn't see IL2 in there either so why be surprised that CLOD isn't?

Formerly JG5_Emil
#3316990 - 06/12/11 10:05 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: swampthng]  
Senseispcc Offline
Senseispcc  Offline

Belgium but not in Flanders
Originally Posted By: swampthng

It is not the quality of the game that is rated but "quantity".
This is a game for fans not every gamer!
It is a flight simulation of high standards.
The immersion in this game is fabulous.
It needs many patches but if like for IL2 al the series there is a follow up then there shall be no problems. And in ten years! Yes the original IL2 is ten years old and still kicking.
I must say also it is for top of the range PC’s!

My PC; wink
Win7 x64
Asus p6x58d
I7 975 3.75Ghz System & game ssd 120Gb (great for the system and for my games).
12 Gb (6*2Gb) ddr3 1600Mhz memory
Geforce gtx580 1.5Gb two of them SLI
Trackir 5
Logitech G940.
[img]http://s4.postimage.org/nmtrbp44/shot_20110507_143940_849.jpg[/img]

#3316995 - 06/12/11 10:13 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: ZG26_Emil]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Originally Posted By: JG5_Emil

Didn't see IL2 in there either so why be surprised that CLOD isn't?

Because CoD is pure Steam game, while you can buy 1946 almost everywhere (including GoG.com, which is much better deal than Steam to be honest). Steam only logs games bought there.

#3317005 - 06/12/11 11:07 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: 2005AD]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Originally Posted By: 2005AD

Disagree 100%.

Not saying RoF (differant issues but still issues) was in a worse state but saying it was better at release is stretching it so far its getting painful.

Maby 2 years under the belt is making u think it was .Maby u forgotten that RoF forum looked exactly like present day CoD forum back then. Difference is that CoD has 3 major forums, every whine, bug, complaint etc. multiplied with 3. Thats what it ends up looking like, a mountain of bugs when its a hill, and RoF had/has 1.

Last edited by Ghost_swe; 06/12/11 11:20 AM.
#3317008 - 06/12/11 11:36 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: Ghost_swe]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Originally Posted By: Ghost_swe
Disagree 100%.

Not saying RoF (differant issues but still issues) was in a worse state but saying it was better at release is stretching it so far its getting painful.

Maby 2 years under the belt is making u think it was (Maby u forgotten that RoF forum looked exactly like present day CoD forum back then) Difference is that CoD has 3 major forums (every whine, bug, complaint etc. multiplied with 3) and RoF had/has 1.

As far as I remember RoF (KotS) development started around 2005 - 2006. First release date of Storm of War has been set to 2006 too:

http://www.ubi.com/US/News/Info.aspx?nId=3950

It looks like Storm of War/Cliffs of Dover development was longer or equal to Rise of Flight. RoF has smaller dev team, no financial backup from major publishers, and lack of experience from previous titles. I have no idea why CoD is in such bad shape when compared to RoF.

Last edited by empeck; 06/12/11 11:38 AM.
#3317011 - 06/12/11 11:41 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

CoD is such a mismatch of the brilliant, crap and broken. It has great immersion one minute then stupidity the next... it has fantastic ideas and goals that are wrapped in a mediocre presentation that lets it self down so bad.

I want to so much play it all the time but then i find myself quiting the sim after 10 mins because it leaves me feeling cold and thinking "whats the point". I just checked online, 12 servers- 7 were empty and the other 5 had just 22 players between them.

EDIT-just to make myself a little clearer.

Last edited by BKHZ_Furbs; 06/12/11 12:25 PM.
#3317013 - 06/12/11 11:56 AM Re: Disappointed [Re: BKHZ_Furbs]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
CoD is such a mismatch of the brilliant, crap and broken. It has great immersion one minute then stupidity the next... it has fantastic ideas and goals that are wrapped in mediocre presentation.

I want to so much play it all the time but then i find myself quiting the sim after 10 mins play. I just checked online, 12 servers- 7 were empty and the other 5 had just 22 players between them.

Well put.

Here's hoping that for the US launch there's a huge ROF 1.019-ish patch that fixes the broken bits AND dumps in an RAF and Luftwaffe campaign(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3317016 - 06/12/11 12:15 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: _michal]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

Originally Posted By: empeck
[quote=JG5_Emil]Steam only logs games bought there.

No, the stats are showing you what game is being played the most online by how many gamers.

View all of the top 100 most-played games
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

#3317018 - 06/12/11 12:20 PM Re: Disappointed [Re: FozzyBear]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Originally Posted By: FozzyBear
Originally Posted By: empeck
[quote=JG5_Emil]Steam only logs games bought there.

No, the stats are showing you what game is being played the most online by how many gamers.

View all of the top 100 most-played games
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Single player games are logged as well.

My point is Steam logs Il2:1946, but only those copies that has been bought on the Steam.

Funny thing is that Railworks is still in the top 100, and it was released two years ago.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.