Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3310798 - 06/04/11 02:00 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: Teddy Bär]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Originally Posted By: Teddy Bär
I am very disappointed in the RoF pricing model that rewards those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to access the large discounts as we have money to spare.

Umm...that's the way retail operations typically work - buy in bulk and get a discount.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3310822 - 06/04/11 02:52 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
I can't believe the whinging about the pricing of RoF.

Unbelievable!!!

How much would you charge for the quality models and FM/DM's that the dev team produce?

Given the sort of price's that the MS flight sim francise used to charge.

RoF costing is very good, they nearly give the stuff away.

The reality is that they could be at least double what is charged with out any discount for multi buys.

#3310844 - 06/04/11 03:40 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: Brigstock]  

CT, USA
Originally Posted By: Brigstock

That was my point, it's all about perspective. We're comparing a new business model to older ones that we're used to and some people then feel things are "over priced" but looking at it from a different perspective of a small team with limited financial resources having to be imaginative about how to raise capital to further fund future/continued development. I was initially turned off by it when it first came out a couple of years ago. Waiting about a month before buying, didn't like the online aspect at all. Was dubious about their intentions (Jason wasn't even in the picture at this point and I wasn't familiar with the team members at all) and if they would follow through with what they said they wanted to do... But I gave them a chance and was repeated impressed that this wasn't the usual group selling gaming software. Once Jason got involved I had further encouragement that things would continue in the right direction based on what I knew of him over the years reading his posts and doing minor business (buying games) with him in one of his previous jobs. I knew him as being honest and having integrity. Since he has had the reins all these months he has only reinforced that opinion. So now I don't really care what they're selling as I just want to support them so that they will continue to stay in business producing stuff that I like.

As for the pricing bit... I consider ourselves lucky that 777 can afford to even offer those kind of bundled discounts and offers to us. To criticize them that it may not be fair to those that are less fortunate financially just rubs me the wrong way and sounds just too PC for my tastes. Where do you draw the line? Life is unfair. You do the best you can with what you got. Someone will always be more and less privileged than I am no matter what. That's the way life is no matter how you look at it. I think they have done a fantastic job and that's why I help out in the ways that I can.

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3310936 - 06/04/11 07:25 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: Brigstock]  
mazex Offline
mazex  Offline

Sweden

Unbelievable!!!

Well, I realized this was the way this topic would end up... I have bought all the planes at mostly full price and I'm not complaining about that as I think they are well worth the money - the thing that I wanted to hear the public opinion about was that I get to pay $5 for the same sight for every plane I want to use it in. And that is almost the same money I paid for the whole plane...

I have paid something like $200 for my RoF installation to date and I have no problem with that in a niche market like this. Paying $40 for some sights, instruments and cockpit lights felt like it was not a bargain to me, but obviously I'm a cheap wining old sod daring to bring that topic to the table. Really sorry for that.

I guess it all has to do with me not being a fan of the FS franchise I'm not used to paying this money for a game, spoiled as I am from the IL2 family of hundreds of flyables for a lot less... I'd better get used to it I guess.

#3310937 - 06/04/11 07:29 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: mazex
Well, I realized this was the way this topic would end up... I have bought all the planes at mostly full price and I'm not complaining about that as I think they are well worth the money - the thing that I wanted to hear the public opinion about was that I get to pay $5 for the same sight for every plane I want to use it in. And that is almost the same money I paid for the whole plane...

Again, it's not just the sight - it's a whole lot of other additions. Look at the Nieuports and tell us it's just the sight you are buying.

#3310942 - 06/04/11 07:41 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: LukeFF]  
mazex Offline
mazex  Offline

Sweden
Originally Posted By: LukeFF

Again, it's not just the sight - it's a whole lot of other additions. Look at the Nieuports and tell us it's just the sight you are buying.

And again, I have to pay $5 each time for all the planes that use the same instruments - all the Nieuports, the Spad, and the rest of the allied planes (the Aldis sight and the cockpit light is in all those). But OK, like I said, I really am sorry for taking up this subject as I'm obviously wrong. It really is unbeleivable that I have the stomach to question the price model they use. I have previously defended it and I have been proposing that the other few sims around should use it too, but that was when paying $7-10 for a whole plane with FM/DM/Lods etc.

I really understand that they have to get their business running with just a few users that has to keep them afloat - and I really want them to succeed. I would love to pay for a RoF II going to WWII and then $7-10 for a bunch of cool WWII aircraft. But not to get another sight for the same planes I have already bought. But like I've said I am obviously alone thinking like that. I will probably end up buying all the field mods anyway wink

#3310949 - 06/04/11 08:05 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

Originally Posted By: LukeFF
Well, I realized this was the way this topic would end up...

Again, it's not just the sight - it's a whole lot of other additions.

And again, I have to pay $5 each time for all the planes that use the same instruments - all the Nieuports, the Spad, and the rest of the allied planes (the Aldis sight and the cockpit light is in all those). But OK, like I said, I really am sorry for taking up this subject as I'm obviously wrong. It really is unbeleivable that I have the stomach to question the price model they use. I have previously defended it and I have been proposing that the other few sims around should use it too, but that was when paying $7-10 for a whole plane with FM/DM/Lods etc.

I really understand that they have to get their business running with just a few users that has to keep them afloat - and I really want them to succeed. I would love to pay for a RoF II going to WWII and then $7-10 for a bunch of cool WWII aircraft. But not to get another sight for the same planes I have already bought. But like I've said I am obviously alone thinking like that. I will probably end up buying all the field mods anyway wink

mazex,

Don't think yourself "wrong" for simply voicing your opinion! If that's how ya' feel, there's nothing wrong about it!

However, this *is* a public forum - and as such, just also don't be suprised if others have a polar-opposite point of view, as is developing in this thread now. It doesn't make them (or you) any more right,(or wrong).

We all have different definitions of "value" - just leave it at that.

If anyone feels they're not getting value (for whatever), then they simply won't buy it. But since you are buying the field-mods, then you seem to believe there is at least *some* value in paying the specified price - for the specified objects....even if that value translates to "continued support/development" so you can continue to enjoy this game.

...it really is that simple.

Personally, I'm in the same (or at least similar boat) - as I find a few niggles as well with all this. But overall, in the grand scheme of things, they are truely insignificant, as the value for me as well, is my continued enjoyment (and hopefully the continued development) of this outstanding sim.

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#3310982 - 06/04/11 09:10 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England

Unbelievable!!!

I have paid something like $200 for my RoF installation to date and I have no problem with that in a niche market like this. Paying $40 for some sights, instruments and cockpit lights felt like it was not a bargain to me, but obviously I'm a cheap wining old sod daring to bring that topic to the table. Really sorry for that.

I guess it all has to do with me not being a fan of the FS franchise I'm not used to paying this money for a game, spoiled as I am from the IL2 family of hundreds of flyables for a lot less... I'd better get used to it I guess.

It's not a case of being a fan of the FS franchise, it's a case that what you are paying for is very reasonably priced IMO.
There is some room for arguement on having to pay for stuff that was a standard fitting on some A/C. Aldi on SE5 and DH2 backsight come to mind. But at the pricing point of RoF addons it's a moot point.
You don't have to buy everything, I have only pre-ordered what mods I need. All the Alb packs for the altimeter and temp gauge, the Noops for the compass and the SE5 for the Aldi (which I didn't really need, but thought "why not if only to put something in the Aldi mount"). I have no need for Aldi's or reflector sights on any other aircraft so didn't pick up that option. That is the beauty of RoF's pricing Model.

I too am a old IL2 player and I know how much is included in the next patch. If Maddox ran RoF the new patch would be incorporated into a new release and charge £40.

#3311003 - 06/04/11 09:57 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  

CT, USA
Mazex, sorry if I came across as critical of your opinion, wasn't the intention. Just sharing my opinion here, too. If I had your perspective on it I would feel similar, but I don't. biggrin

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3311059 - 06/05/11 12:10 AM Re: The mod packs... [Re: tagTaken2]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

Originally Posted By: tagTaken2

You would like RoF to depart from the global model of pricing cheaper in bulk.

FFS.

Please do me the courtesy of reading my post before going all "FFS"...

Point 1. I said there are many who cannot afford to buy in bulk as they are not financially able to spare the money
Point 2. It would be good if these people were rewarded for their continual support as are the people who actually need it less because they have access to funds to buy in bulk

At no point did I say that the "cheaper in bulk" should be done away with.

All I am saying is for 777 to spare a thought for those who do not have the cash flow that some of us do and reward them for their continued support. Your post suggest that you are only thinking of yourself as you have the funds to get the discounts.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

One of the stupidest things in game design is the lack of uncertainty given to the player

"beatings will continue until morale improves" brought to you by Ubisoft DRM!
#3311062 - 06/05/11 12:14 AM Re: The mod packs... [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

Originally Posted By: Barkhorn1x
Originally Posted By: Teddy Bär
I am very disappointed in the RoF pricing model that rewards those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to access the large discounts as we have money to spare.

Umm...that's the way retail operations typically work - buy in bulk and get a discount.

Indeed it is. However seeing as 777 have done a new business model in the way they sell the game and then components there is no reason that a new business model for selling the components that does not overly penalise those who are not financially fortunate as others cannot be adopted.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

One of the stupidest things in game design is the lack of uncertainty given to the player

#3311071 - 06/05/11 12:34 AM Re: The mod packs... [Re: Brigstock]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

Unbelievable!!!

How much would you charge for the quality models and FM/DM's that the dev team produce?

Given the sort of price's that the MS flight sim francise used to charge.

RoF costing is very good, they nearly give the stuff away.

The reality is that they could be at least double what is charged with out any discount for multi buys.

The reality is they could not charge double etc etc and get away with not offering discounts or having sales, if they could they would do so. The free market charges the maximum that a market will support.

I obviously did not make my message clear enough; There are many people not financial enough to be able to obtain the discounts that those who are flush with funds can and they continue to support the game when they can i.e. buy a new plane or mod pack.

It is the people who are less flush with funds that are penalised for not having money because they can never obtain a discount even if they do buy all the planes & add-ons. All I am asking is that 777 consider rewarding these people for their continued support in a similar way they reward us who have the spare funds to obtain the discounts.

At no time did I mention anything about how much anything costs, why can you and other people not read what is posted? It would seem everyone is looking for any tiny excuse for fight.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

#3311073 - 06/05/11 12:40 AM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

Unbelievable!!!

Well, my post was not whining about the price as per my reply posts above.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

#3311077 - 06/05/11 12:52 AM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

Sadly I feel required to note to everyone that I am indeed a fully paid up member; I have all released aircraft and all the add-ons. I am fortunate enough to be in a financial position not to have to worry whether it is pay week or not.

I have done this as I believe in 777 commitment to deliver a career mode that will set the benchmark for future games. I have purchased these items even though I have not had RoF on my PC for months and if I recall correctly I have not played for 5-6 months.

I however can empathise with those who are not as fortunate and as my post said, I would like 777 to reward these people as they do me who needs the rewards less than someone who has to save up for each plane.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

#3311221 - 06/05/11 08:52 AM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Teddy, if you feel that bad enough about others not being able to afford aircraft, then buy them as gifts for others.

#3311227 - 06/05/11 09:41 AM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

Hear hear Luke.... well played!

...isn't that where the whole "put your money where your mouth is" saying comes from?

Heh, this "Champion of the downtrodden" theme has been so overplayed around here it's rediculous.

hahaha

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#3311257 - 06/05/11 12:24 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
The bottom line is you need a high spec PC to run RoF. The is the starting point.
The logic follows if you can afford a $1000 PC (minimum) you can afford $7.62.

Teddy's argument "what about those who can't afford $7.62" has no foundation.

If you can't afford all the content available. Well just get what you really need.
That's the beauty of RoF. You don't need to buy everything.
I did, to support the game. But I've never flown the Gotha or HP400 except to test them out.
I could do all I need to do with 6 addon a/c. In fact I could have a pretty good time with just the SE5a and nothing else

#3311258 - 06/05/11 12:26 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

Luke,

That is a thought I have had but, there is always a but? But I do not know of anyone in the SimHQ community who is in such a position and I am not a member of any online squadrons and I fell just offering up planes is not the answer.

I do consider the answer a cheap shot rather than a genuine contribution to the point I was making, feel free to correct me via PM if you wish.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

#3311259 - 06/05/11 12:28 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: WWBrian]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

Originally Posted By: WWBrian
Hear hear Luke.... well played!

...isn't that where the whole "put your money where your mouth is" saying comes from?

Heh, this "Champion of the downtrodden" theme has been so overplayed around here it's rediculous.

hahaha

How is That "well played"? Seriously you are easily amused.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

#3311262 - 06/05/11 12:38 PM Re: The mod packs... [Re: mazex]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Teddy you are arguing for the sake of argument.

As I said above if finding $7.62 is so hard, how do they afford everything else required to play RoF.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.