Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#3280979 - 04/27/11 04:20 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
Installed my extension last night and flew some carrier ops to test it out.
The added precision is absolutely fantastic. I thought it was going to take me a while to get used to it, but the benefit was immediate. I never did like the thunk as the stock stick passed through the center -- even posted some screenshots on this site of what happens going through the center. The extension has minimized that thunk -- I now have far more precise control near the center.

I know I will have to be careful now. With the added leverage, I could easily break the joystick -- now I'm thinking of adding some sort of "fence" around the perimeter of travel.

BTW, I found a 7" PS/2 splitter that worked perfect for electrically coupling the stick to the base.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3281797 - 04/28/11 02:23 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: Goblin]  
The_Winger Offline
The_Winger  Offline

Originally Posted By: mfrank14
The added precision is absolutely fantastic. I thought it was going to take me a while to get used to it, but the benefit was immediate. I never did like the thunk as the stock stick passed through the center -- even posted some screenshots on this site of what happens going through the center. The extension has minimized that thunk -- I now have far more precise control near the center.

I know I will have to be careful now. With the added leverage, I could easily break the joystick -- now I'm thinking of adding some sort of "fence" around the perimeter of travel.

BTW, I found a 7" PS/2 splitter that worked perfect for electrically coupling the stick to the base.

The stickmovement is already physically limited from the topplate whene the stick comes out.

I think that is not really an issue since the longer traveldistance already leads (at least me) for some reason to not use so much force to move the stick. Could be because its already easier to move around now with the longer handle.

Winger

#3281959 - 04/28/11 05:24 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
JumpingHubert Offline
JumpingHubert  Offline

Germany
deleted, wrong thread wink

Last edited by JumpingHubert; 05/04/11 09:27 PM.

GTX570 @940Mhz watercooled
Q6600 @3,9Ghz watercooled
HP w2207 22" (1680x1050)
Win7 64bit
Crucial SSD C300 64GB
TrackIR 3 Pro
Hotas Cougar + 20cm Extensionmod
#3282136 - 04/28/11 09:11 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

I know there are a couple of diy solutions out there. I have seen a couple use garden hose attachments.

One part I can't see from those attachments is how well the stick attaches to the top. If you look at the hog base it has some recesses. If you look at mine in the pictures there are also the recesses. They are primarily there so that the stick cannot rotate because the nut it uses is not fixed to the stick, it swivels.

The other issue is if they are not there the stick cannot screw on the full length of the thread , only a turn and a half. I wonder how long that will last with only a small part of the thread being used? Hard to tell from the pics I have seen.

#3282226 - 04/28/11 11:20 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
JumpingHubert Offline
JumpingHubert  Offline

Germany
in all points you´re right. The thread i can use isn´t very long. I had to use a metal nut on the lower side of the joystick and with a lot of file work i can do 2 turns metal nut on metal thread of the cougar so its ok but not perfect. I hope my english "works" smile Such a extension makes the joystick thousand times more sensitive.

Last edited by JumpingHubert; 04/28/11 11:22 PM.

GTX570 @940Mhz watercooled
Q6600 @3,9Ghz watercooled
HP w2207 22" (1680x1050)
Win7 64bit
Crucial SSD C300 64GB
TrackIR 3 Pro
Hotas Cougar + 20cm Extensionmod
#3287262 - 05/05/11 01:09 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
mustang137 Offline
mustang137  Offline

Bris, Aust
Order sent....need to get the stick between the legs!

Windows 7 x64
i7-2600k @ 4.6
Asus Sabertooth P67
16gig Corsair Vengance DDR3
Crucial M4 128gig & Samsung Spinpoint 1tb
Sapphire HD6950 2gb
HOTAS Warthog
Saitek Combat pedals
Thrustmaster Cougar MFDS
TrackIr 5
#3289315 - 05/07/11 05:16 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
pollock56th Offline
pollock56th  Offline

does anyone have a video posted of the extension in use ie to see the travel of the handle i have a kwikpit with a center stick and cant verify if i will have room for it.

#3289393 - 05/07/11 07:27 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
Jas452 Offline
Jas452  Offline

Inwood WV
Have the extension myself. I can give you the measurments of the travel forward,backward,left and right from dead center if you like, but won't be able until I get off work tonight.

#3289397 - 05/07/11 07:29 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

No video...but presumably you would lower the base by a length equivalent to your extension anyway...position it where you think it would go, move it to full deflection....then imagine it being just under twice as long.

It would be one thing if you were talking about an 18" extension and would be putting the base on the floor and would have to do the splits with your legs to have enough room for the throw....but the movement really isn't that drastic.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3292546 - 05/11/11 08:32 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
RY3A1R Offline
RY3A1R  Offline

Germany
Hi guys!

I recieved my extension some weeks ago and now I have it cut to the right length and put the modified P/S 2 cable into it, works like a charm =)
I really love the rotation, much more comfortable for the hand, and the extra length gives extra precision =)

my extension is about 8cm long and I think with the cable in it you can't get it much shorter without making it very hard to plug the cable in.

If needed I can measure the throw tomorrow.

Thanks metalnwood for this great extension =)

#3292861 - 05/12/11 05:16 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
Janman Offline
Janman  Offline

Van, BC
I just got my stick extender/compensator running and I could not be happier with it. clapping

Thanks again metalnwood

J

Duo Lenio Uno
#3292955 - 05/12/11 08:59 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Thanks guys, I am glad you have them installed and they are working for you! I on the other hand do not have one for myself yet!

I have a top section that I didn't think was good enough to sell but is functional so I kept that to the side for me. I still have to do a bottom part.

I am working on the last two that I will do for some time because I have run out of stock again, so sorry if people are reading and want one. There will probably be a wait again.

In the mean time I am putting the CNC to use and making up some replica panels to build up the left console of the a10. They should fit nicely around the throttle. At the moment I am working on the radios but I will be using 7 segment displays instead of the mechanical turning number system in the real a10.

It should interface to dcs and give me some real knobs to turn and displays to look at. Also radios are a couple of the harder things to use with a touch screen so I would like a real hardware solution for them. I will probably do a number of different panels.

#3292966 - 05/12/11 09:11 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Pics of the panels please! Might be more business coming your way!

- Ice
#3293228 - 05/12/11 03:28 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: Goblin]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia

Hi Mfrank,

So all you needed to do was break the pin and it worked?

What size extension did you cut your metal tube to? Will the 7" PS/2 splitter be long enough to plug into the full extension tube that he does?

Did you cut away the second cord as well?

Cheers

#3296243 - 05/16/11 02:35 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
The_Winger Offline
The_Winger  Offline

Originally Posted By: metalnwood
Thanks guys, I am glad you have them installed and they are working for you! I on the other hand do not have one for myself yet!

I have a top section that I didn't think was good enough to sell but is functional so I kept that to the side for me. I still have to do a bottom part.

I am working on the last two that I will do for some time because I have run out of stock again, so sorry if people are reading and want one. There will probably be a wait again.

In the mean time I am putting the CNC to use and making up some replica panels to build up the left console of the a10. They should fit nicely around the throttle. At the moment I am working on the radios but I will be using 7 segment displays instead of the mechanical turning number system in the real a10.

It should interface to dcs and give me some real knobs to turn and displays to look at. Also radios are a couple of the harder things to use with a touch screen so I would like a real hardware solution for them. I will probably do a number of different panels.

Do you know what would make you some BIG money? Some replacement stickreplicas for i.e. the BF109 or some other flightsticks. I think the market is pretty big for such things. And if welll built people would be willing to pay for a good replicastick. I for example would buy a 109 replica:)

Winger

Last edited by The_Winger; 05/16/11 03:05 PM.
#3296283 - 05/16/11 03:34 PM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: The_Winger]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Originally Posted By: The_Winger

Do you know what would make you some BIG money? Some replacement stickreplicas for i.e. the BF109 or some other flightsticks. I think the market is pretty big for such things. And if welll built people would be willing to pay for a good replicastick. I for example would buy a 109 replica:)

Winger

The problem would be the wiring...even to get just a trigger and bomb release you'd have to reverse engineer the existing grip and/or use a cannibalized stick grip for parts.

Note circuit board in this SimHQ review pic:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/images/technology_174a_018.jpg

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3297583 - 05/18/11 05:06 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
mustang137 Offline
mustang137  Offline

Bris, Aust
Metalnwood,

Just letting you know that the ext arrived safe and sound...thanks!

Windows 7 x64
i7-2600k @ 4.6
Asus Sabertooth P67
16gig Corsair Vengance DDR3
Crucial M4 128gig & Samsung Spinpoint 1tb
Sapphire HD6950 2gb
HOTAS Warthog
Saitek Combat pedals
Thrustmaster Cougar MFDS
TrackIr 5
#3299193 - 05/20/11 01:37 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: Taipan]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
Originally Posted By: Taipan

Hi Mfrank,

What size extension did you cut your metal tube to? Will the 7" PS/2 splitter be long enough to plug into the full extension tube that he does?

Cheers

Hi Taipan,

Yep, just broke the pin. Of course, I still had to drill the holes in the center, but that was a piece of cake with a dremel. I used the 7" PS/2 splitter for the 6" tube and it fit fine. And yes, I cut away the entire 2nd cord -- actually I cut off the second cord and peeled the jacket back a bit, removed the shield and cut the internal wires to slightly different lengths then pulled the jacket back up. I did this to prevent the shield from shorting to one of the wires and to prevent the wires from shorting with other wires.

To add to my previous post, I don't need any kind of "fence". I thought the added leverage would lead me to damage the base, but it just doesn't happen. Really like this mod.

Last edited by mfrank14; 05/20/11 01:38 AM.
#3299357 - 05/20/11 05:44 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: metalnwood]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Bugger, I envy you guys because I am getting more in to a10 and I dont have anything left to do one for myself and another guy!

Whats worse is that I had put the first one on without wiring it up but it was enough to know that this would be nice.. Now flying many more hours on a10 and remembering the feel I want it. I have just been doing some flying around/ lots of ils landings for fun and the extra precision would be nice.

No problem as I am feeling spoilt having just got one 42" 1080p to see how it went and will get a couple more next week to replace my current eyefinity screens! :->

#3299406 - 05/20/11 07:52 AM Re: Selling warthog extension/offset adjuster. [Re: Goblin]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Taipan

Hi Mfrank,

Cheers

Hi Taipan,

Yep, just broke the pin. Of course, I still had to drill the holes in the center, but that was a piece of cake with a dremel. I used the 7" PS/2 splitter for the 6" tube and it fit fine. And yes, I cut away the entire 2nd cord -- actually I cut off the second cord and peeled the jacket back a bit, removed the shield and cut the internal wires to slightly different lengths then pulled the jacket back up. I did this to prevent the shield from shorting to one of the wires and to prevent the wires from shorting with other wires.

To add to my previous post, I don't need any kind of "fence". I thought the added leverage would lead me to damage the base, but it just doesn't happen. Really like this mod.

Awesome, sounds nice and easy to setup then. Ive seen a few of those splitters on ebay. I hate fiddling with cables and stuff...

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.