Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3293511 - 05/12/11 07:29 PM Trying to get it to run...  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
I just installed CoD and found I couldn't fly an aircraft for more than a minute or so without the sim freezing, requiring me to ctl-alt-del, end task to get out. Some googling led me to this solution, from a dev. post:

"7. Q: I am running Windows Vista / 7, and my game constantly crashes.

A: You have most likely manually reset your render to use DX9. Cliffs of Dover only supports DX9 on Windows XP. Please use DX10 on DX10-capable operating systems, as switching to DX9 actually reduces performance, in addition to leading to unexpected crashes."

I had done nothing to my system to specify wither DX9 or DX10. But I did a bit more googling to find out how to be sure that CoD is using DX10, and found this answer:

"Check whether the conf.ini in your 'My Documents\ 1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover' folder contains this line in the [Window] section:

Render=D3D10

If there's a =D3D9 -ish value, try and change it into =D3D10."

I looked in my conf.ini and found no such line. But I went ahead and added "Render=D3D10" to the [window] section. Sure enough, I can now fly without the game crashing. But the game looks worse and runs worse!!

It actually looks decent and runs 50-60 FPS over land without that line in the conf.ini, but I can only fly for a minute or two at most before the game freezes.

With "Render=D3D10" in the conf.ini, I can see grid lines on the landscape, shores and streams look extremely blocky if they are more than 1km away, and I get at least a 10 fps hit.

I would love to be able to run it without that conf.ini. tweak. Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks

PS-
Win7 64-bit
ASUS P7P55D-E pro mobo
i5-760 @ 3.4ghz
Patit GTX 560ti 2gb
8gb 1600mhz RAM
500gb SATAIII HDD

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3293515 - 05/12/11 07:35 PM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: SYN_Speck
I just installed CoD and found I couldn't fly an aircraft for more than a minute or so without the sim freezing, requiring me to ctl-alt-del, end task to get out. Some googling led me to this solution, from a dev. post:

"7. Q: I am running Windows Vista / 7, and my game constantly crashes.

A: You have most likely manually reset your render to use DX9. Cliffs of Dover only supports DX9 on Windows XP. Please use DX10 on DX10-capable operating systems, as switching to DX9 actually reduces performance, in addition to leading to unexpected crashes."

I had done nothing to my system to specify wither DX9 or DX10. But I did a bit more googling to find out how to be sure that CoD is using DX10, and found this answer:

"Check whether the conf.ini in your 'My Documents\ 1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover' folder contains this line in the [Window] section:

Render=D3D10

If there's a =D3D9 -ish value, try and change it into =D3D10."

I looked in my conf.ini and found no such line. But I went ahead and added "Render=D3D10" to the [window] section. Sure enough, I can now fly without the game crashing. But the game looks worse and runs worse!!

It actually looks decent and runs 50-60 FPS over land without that line in the conf.ini, but I can only fly for a minute or two at most before the game freezes.

With "Render=D3D10" in the conf.ini, I can see grid lines on the landscape, shores and streams look extremely blocky if they are more than 1km away, and I get at least a 10 fps hit.

I would love to be able to run it without that conf.ini. tweak. Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks

PS-
Win7 64-bit
ASUS P7P55D-E pro mobo
i5-760 @ 3.4ghz
Patit GTX 560ti 2gb
8gb 1600mhz RAM
500gb SATAIII HDD

First impressions is temperatures, as in COD wacking your hardware until it dies. How's your experience with monitoring etc?

Can you try recreating with a benchmark app to see if this is the case, i.e. run Prime95 hard or Futuremark/Passmark.

If you are on a DX10 platform (i.e. not Win XP) then I wouldn't bother trying the DX9 route, as it seems not even half done.

Oh, and latest drivers etc (sorry if you knew that, but has to be said each time etc)

PS I am not implying COD isn't full of bugs, just trying to suggest things worth eliminating. Please don't get me!

Edit: Oh, do a 'Steam / Library / IL2 COD / Properties / Local Files / Veryify Integrity of..' to check the install first just in case.

Last edited by FearlessFrog; 05/12/11 07:37 PM.
#3293677 - 05/12/11 10:03 PM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Disable desktop composition, c:/ Steam > Steamapps > common > Il2 Cliffs of Dover > Launcher.exe > right click > properties > check the relevant box.

#3293895 - 05/13/11 02:28 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Dano, I followed your instructions but the problem persists.

Frog, I have been running CPUID to try to monitior the hardware and on those ocassions when I have managed to stop my computer from completely crashing (merely crashing to desktop instead), I have not observed any temperature problems: CPU cores running in the 40s, GPU maxxing at 50.

I am running Win7 so I assume DX10 should not be a problem. I just inserted that line in the conf.ini to try to be sure it is running DX10.

I have a GTX 560 and am running latest release drivers, 270.61. Card is not overclocked.

I do believe this problem could be springing from some problem with the GPU/Driver interacting with the sim. Here's why: last time it crashed, I hit ctrl-alt-del repeatedly and managed to get to the task manager before the whole system shut down. As Task Manager came up and the desktop appeared, a bubble appeared in the lower R corner saying something like "The display driver has encountered a conflict and has stopped working properly." The message flashed only for a split second and I was unable to call it up again. In task manager/applications I saw CoD "not responding," and ended task. After doing this I checked CPUID and saw nothing unusual. However, I am also running EVGA precision to set fan speeds, and I saw that right when the sim froze, the fan speed had dropped from 75% where I had set it to 30% where it defaults on startup. Also just before the game crahed, GPU usage had been at 98% - unusually high. I fly ROF a lot and GPU usage never gets above about 80% on this card.

The card is not overheating, but could it still somehow be getting overtaxed and just conking out for a moment?

My squad mates have helped me dial my in-game settings for best performance, and the sim seems to work ok until it crashes, but this instability issue persists. None of them are having this problem.

Should I try using different GPU driver? Or could this have something to EVGA Precision?

Last edited by SYN_Speck; 05/13/11 02:31 AM.
#3293907 - 05/13/11 02:46 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Dano, I followed your instructions but the problem persists.

Frog, I have been running CPUID to try to monitior the hardware and on those ocassions when I have managed to stop my computer from completely crashing (merely crashing to desktop instead), I have not observed any temperature problems: CPU cores running in the 40s, GPU maxxing at 50.

I am running Win7 so I assume DX10 should not be a problem. I just inserted that line in the conf.ini to try to be sure it is running DX10.

I have a GTX 560 and am running latest release drivers, 270.61. Card is not overclocked.

I do believe this problem could be springing from some problem with the GPU/Driver interacting with the sim. Here's why: last time it crashed, I hit ctrl-alt-del repeatedly and managed to get to the task manager before the whole system shut down. As Task Manager came up and the desktop appeared, a bubble appeared in the lower R corner saying something like "The display driver has encountered a conflict and has stopped working properly." The message flashed only for a split second and I was unable to call it up again. In task manager/applications I saw CoD "not responding," and ended task. After doing this I checked CPUID and saw nothing unusual. However, I am also running EVGA precision to set fan speeds, and I saw that right when the sim froze, the fan speed had dropped from 75% where I had set it to 30% where it defaults on startup. Also just before the game crahed, GPU usage had been at 98% - unusually high. I fly ROF a lot and GPU usage never gets above about 80% on this card.

The card is not overheating, but could it still somehow be getting overtaxed and just conking out for a moment?

My squad mates have helped me dial my in-game settings for best performance, and the sim seems to work ok until it crashes, but this instability issue persists. None of them are having this problem.

Should I try using different GPU driver? Or could this have something to EVGA Precision?

Here's what I would do

- Try to establish a clean baseline, i.e. reset you settings by turning off Steam cloud, rename the Documents/1C Softclub directory so you get clean settings on the next COD start.

- On video defaults, if it still happens (just up resolution and turn off epilepsy) then revert back from any COD beta patches. Use the steam integrity thing to roll back.

- If still crashing then try the driver route. I'm ATI so not up to speed on Nv stuff.

Hardware side how's your power supply - a futuremark benchmark would expose any GPU voltage drops?

#3293923 - 05/13/11 03:20 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
I have just tried a bit of in-game experimenting and had some interesting results:

I found that I can fly over water, even dogfighting, without game crash. FPS stays 50-60, EVGA precison says GPU temp stays under 50, GPU usage hovers 78-88%.

If I fly over land - even with all graphic settings reduced to "low" - FPS stays 50-60, temp stays under 50, but GPU usage goes to 98-99% and game soon crashes.

It seems that my GPU cannot handle flying over land for some reason. It's a very good GPU though, why would it be getting overloaded like that? It runs ROF with settings cranked at 50-65% GPU usage.

Frog - I will try your remedies & report back, thanks for your help.

My PSU is 750w btw, should be plenty. It is new though.

Last edited by SYN_Speck; 05/13/11 04:05 AM.
#3293938 - 05/13/11 03:55 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Bow to Mecca and say 10 hail Mary's. Might work wink

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3293943 - 05/13/11 04:07 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
Or just stick to ROF for a few more months and hope for the best sigh

#3294006 - 05/13/11 06:21 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

I had a somewhat similar problem ... not sure if this is of use for you:

The last couple of days, maybe a week, my computer would shut down after launching a flight in COD. Sometimes it would work for a minute or two, sometimes thereafter only a few seconds. I just shut down, like OFF in a second. As if you plugged off the power line.
I never experienced that before but my money was on overheating.
I monitored my temperatures with RealTemp, since this had a log function (http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/) .
There were sometimes peaks of about 53°C, but only for one measuring period. The other values were well below 50°. The GPU seemed to run ok, too.

Yesterday evening was the first evening I was able to complete a flight again. What I did was reinstalling my ATI drivers (Steam had them upgraded so they were a suspect) and I used some cable binders to tug away my power lines from my cooler.

- not much of an advice, I know, but worth considering ...

Michael

Last edited by DocW; 05/13/11 06:23 AM.
#3294104 - 05/13/11 11:36 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
SYN_Jedders Offline
SYN_Jedders  Offline

Yeh...im not convinced that the 270 drivers are the best atm. I run the 266 driver set and Im happier with them...

#3294588 - 05/13/11 08:44 PM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
Methusillah Offline
Methusillah  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
"Anyone have an idea what the problem is?"

Yeah, I do. The game is a complete piece of $h*t. Wait for another 5 or 6 years until a playable version comes out. By then we will all be wearing Depends.

#3294668 - 05/13/11 10:56 PM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: FearlessFrog]  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Here's what I would do

- Try to establish a clean baseline, i.e. reset you settings by turning off Steam cloud, rename the Documents/1C Softclub directory so you get clean settings on the next COD start.

- On video defaults, if it still happens (just up resolution and turn off epilepsy) then revert back from any COD beta patches. Use the steam integrity thing to roll back.

- If still crashing then try the driver route. I'm ATI so not up to speed on Nv stuff.

Hardware side how's your power supply - a futuremark benchmark would expose any GPU voltage drops?

OK, tried all that, retesting after each step.

Including the hail mary: switching back to 266.66 drivers.

Still no joy, I'm afraid. CloD just doesn't seem to like something about my system and I'm at a loss what it could be.

Next step reinstall my old GTX260 and see if it works with it??

Last edited by SYN_Speck; 05/13/11 10:56 PM.
#3294801 - 05/14/11 01:59 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
Methusillah Offline
Methusillah  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I don't know why people are trying to get this turkey to fly. It won't. Not even if kicked out the door at 20,000 feet. It's a rock. It has fallen afoul of what other developers got trapped by. It is now all about eye candy and nowhere is playability to be found. They rush to get it out and then patch the heck out of it - IF they patch it.
Who cares if it looks good, if it doesn't fly. It's like being married to a Supermodel that doesn't f***. I am about ready to go back to CFS1

#3294809 - 05/14/11 02:20 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Let us know how it does with your 260 and which drivers you're using with it. CoD is running fine on my GTX285 with the newer 270.x driver, although in MP I'm getting a lot of micro stutters and fluctuating frame rates. Single player runs fine over water and land (not counting London or Le Havre) at medium settings with average frame rate ~30 fps.

Last edited by Snapper; 05/14/11 02:38 AM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3294902 - 05/14/11 06:48 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

perhaps worth trying to reinstall DirectX from the Steam/.../COD/Redist directory ?

Michael.

#3294953 - 05/14/11 10:47 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: Methusillah]  
Beelzebub Offline
Beelzebub  Offline

Flanders
Originally Posted By: Methusillah
I don't know why people are trying to get this turkey to fly. It won't. Not even if kicked out the door at 20,000 feet. It's a rock. It has fallen afoul of what other developers got trapped by. It is now all about eye candy and nowhere is playability to be found. They rush to get it out and then patch the heck out of it - IF they patch it.
Who cares if it looks good, if it doesn't fly. It's like being married to a Supermodel that doesn't f***. I am about ready to go back to CFS1

Can't a turkey fly without tail, wings and feet ????

Now I get it; you're talking about CoD but that's basically the same thing...

To quote the Gamespot review of CoD (4/10) : *With IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, a beloved series crashes and burns*

CoD Review 4/10 Poor

----------------------------------------------------------
Vlaanderen de leeuw ; 11/07/1302
#3294961 - 05/14/11 11:04 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
WernerVoss Offline
WernerVoss  Offline

The game's video locks up on me, and my copy is installed onto a fresh install of the OS. Don't drive yourself mad thinking it's necessarily a problem at your end, it most likely isn't.

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
#3295230 - 05/14/11 10:01 PM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
WOLF257 Offline
Professional Cynic
WOLF257  Offline
Professional Cynic
Hotshot

Alabama
I suspect you folks have saved me 60 odd bucks and for that I thank you.
Sounds like the game is far too hit or miss at this point to bother with.

WOLF

#3295255 - 05/14/11 11:34 PM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
SsSsSsSsSnake Offline
SsSsSsSsSnake  Offline

Leicester UK
found it frustrating basically myself,not that others necessarily will,but in the end gone back to 1946 with hsfx5.1 and of of course WOP for the instant dogfights and fun.

shall keep checking incase they get it patched to where it runs a lot better and has a lot of the bugs removed but until then its deleted.

Last edited by SsSsSsSsSnake; 05/14/11 11:35 PM.

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss
2600kI7.Corsair G60 liquid cooler.8gig corsair dominator,GTX580.64gig Crucial M4 ssd Win7 os.OCZ 120gig games SSD.Hazro 27" 2560x1440.
CH Fighter stick, CH pro throttle.CH rudder pedals.
#3295269 - 05/15/11 12:11 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
simpliciter Offline
simpliciter  Offline

Just out of curiosity, what if any other games are you playing on your system, and do any of them encounter any problems?

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Here's what I would do

OK, tried all that, retesting after each step.

Including the hail mary: switching back to 266.66 drivers.

Still no joy, I'm afraid. CloD just doesn't seem to like something about my system and I'm at a loss what it could be.

Next step reinstall my old GTX260 and see if it works with it??

Asus M3A78T, 450watt PS, Ultra mini tower case, Phenom 9550 (OC to 2.4ghz) quad, 4gb OCZ, Galaxy 450GTS 1GB,Logitech wireless mouse and KB MK550, Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Saitek AV8R joystick, CH Pro Pedals USB.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.