Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3285541 - 05/02/11 09:52 PM Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well.  
BlueRaven Offline
Flight Instructor
BlueRaven  Offline
Flight Instructor

Oklahoma

At least the graphical part of it.

bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance attack ar15 bananadancebananadancebananadancebananadance
God damned bananas!!!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3285552 - 05/02/11 10:09 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
Yep, WF2 posted this on the ROF site as well. Great stuff!

=MFC=Gunloon

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
#3285554 - 05/02/11 10:15 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
I should add, all of AchimEngels' vids are good, subscribing to that channel is recommended!

=MFC=Gunloon

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
#3285593 - 05/02/11 11:02 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

There's a small problem with the animation in the sim. The first few degrees of warp don't show. The aircraft begins rolling, but the wing is perfectly straight. Then, if you give just a little more stick, enough to cross the animation's threshold, suddenly the wing pops into a warped position. After that the warping is gradual and matches the amount of stick input, as it should. But the beginning is dodgy.

#3285630 - 05/03/11 12:02 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
Sorry Josh but I detect no delay and the beginning is not dodgy. I don't know why you would say that.

Jason

#3285666 - 05/03/11 01:09 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Sorry Josh but I detect no delay and the beginning is not dodgy. I don't know why you would say that.

Jason

Prolly' just a small deadzone/slop in the center of his joystick....but, with his recent posts about "spreading rumors" he might do well to heed his own advice.

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#3285741 - 05/03/11 03:31 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

No problems here Josh. Check your hardware.

#3285859 - 05/03/11 08:55 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Amazing how this sim gets all it's details right, and spot on.

#3286158 - 05/03/11 04:36 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
The EIII's very nice, I love watching the pulleys moving smile

I'd still like to see more instability in the fm and stalling before stick full back to make life a bit harder. Just from anecdotes, no firm data for this.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3286178 - 05/03/11 05:01 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Squid_Von_Torgar Offline
Squid_Von_Torgar  Offline

Yes I love the E.III too, beautifully done in ROF. I belive a lot of effort was spent getting it right too.

The E.III - An early attempt at fly by wire wink

#3286241 - 05/03/11 06:30 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
biggrin That's funny SVonT!

#3287025 - 05/04/11 06:27 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: Avimimus]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

Guys, it can't be a problem with my hardware, because the aircraft begins to roll. That is, I give a tiny bit of side-stick and the aircraft immediately begins to roll, as it should. But the animation doesn't show. It's only when I give quite a bit of side-stick, and the aircraft is rolling rather rapidly, that the animation starts to show.

For example, if I give 1% of max side-stick, I immediately get 1% of max roll rate, but the wing-warp animation is still at 0%. If I increase it to 2% stick, I still get 2% roll but 0% animation. Then once I reach somewhere around 5%, suddenly the animation "catches up" and so now I have 5% roll and 5% animation. After that point it works as it should, so 6% stick gives 6% roll and 6% animation, and so on.

I'll create a demonstrative track; you'll see that it cannot be a problem with my joystick, because the virtual stick in the cockpit moves and the aircraft starts rolling, but the animation is stationary. You'll see how it "pops" from 0% warp to ~5% warp with no ability to get anywhere in between. If it were a problem with my stick, then 2% stick would result in 0% roll and 0% animation, not 2% roll and 0% animation.

Not sure what the actual percentage is at which the animation "pops" to. I'm guessing 5% but I really don't know. Even the smallest amount of stick causes the wires to move, as they should; but the wing simply doesn't follow, until that certain point is reached at which it "pops" into place.

Edit: here's the track. http://riseofflight.com/Forum/download/file.php?id=18409

#3287093 - 05/04/11 07:31 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Squid_Von_Torgar Offline
Squid_Von_Torgar  Offline

#3287150 - 05/04/11 09:11 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

I created that thread to post my track because SimHQ does not allow direct uploads, while the official Rise of Flight forum does.

#3287229 - 05/04/11 11:25 PM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Wishing I was in the La Cloche
Well, reading BOTH threads, it seems like there may be a minority opinion. Usually that means some issue inherent a set up and/or hardware. Apologies but there is no counterpoint to that point.

Also, I cannot remember what the statistical determination of human perception is (divisions of a set measurement unit), but it is certainly above 1 or 2%, i.e. there is no way a human can reliably or accurately detect a 1 or 2% division of a measured unit. I used to know what it was, but that was long ago. Maybe, MAYBE those people hired to taste coffee or sniff perfume. They get paid an awful lot, and could be considered super-human when it comes to that sensitivity.

Regardless! If the stick moves a tinsie-tiny bit, and the pulley rolls slightly, but there isn't a tinsie-tiny bit of wing warping, I don't get the point!!! Do you really think all that length of stiff wing on the EIII actually responded like it was on computerized hydraulics??? There IS going to be play in all aspects of that early WWI control system. Suck it up and enjoy the game.

Last edited by Bandy; 05/04/11 11:39 PM.

4x2.66 GHz Xeons, XFX 4870 1 GB, 11 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Pro x64, 120 GB OCZ Vertex2 (MLC, Sandforce)
26" VIZIO 1920x1200, Logitech FF 3D Pro, CH pedals, Track IR4
#3287269 - 05/05/11 01:25 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: Bandy]  
arjisme Offline
arjisme  Offline

Plano, TX
Originally Posted By: Bandy
Regardless! If the stick moves a tinsie-tiny bit, and the pulley rolls slightly, but there isn't a tinsie-tiny bit of wing warping, I don't get the point!!! Do you really think all that length of stiff wing on the EIII actually responded like it was on computerized hydraulics??? There IS going to be play in all aspects of that early WWI control system. Suck it up and enjoy the game.

Check the RoF Forum thread again. With a tinsie-tiny bit of stick input, the airplane will roll (slowly, commensurate with the stick input) although there is no visible indication of the wing actually warping. It is a very, very small graphic bug -- nothing more. The FM works fine. This is extremely low on the list of things to worry about.

#3287388 - 05/05/11 04:58 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

Well, reading BOTH threads, it seems like there may be a minority opinion. Usually that means some issue inherent a set up and/or hardware.

The only hardware issue is that reasonably precise joysticks can experience this effect, and very imprecise joysticks cannot.

Also, I cannot remember what the statistical determination of human perception is (divisions of a set measurement unit), but it is certainly above 1 or 2%, i.e. there is no way a human can reliably or accurately detect a 1 or 2% division of a measured unit. I used to know what it was, but that was long ago. Maybe, MAYBE those people hired to taste coffee or sniff perfume. They get paid an awful lot, and could be considered super-human when it comes to that sensitivity.

Requiem's screenshot indicates that this happens at about 13%, which is fairly close to my original estimate of 10% (which I reduced to my guess of 5% for the final draft of my post). Unless one has a crappy joystick, anyone ought to be able to get this right. I think that most of the people who are insisting that there's no problem are doing so because they want to see no problem.

Sure, I'm cool with a realistic play in the roll rate due to wing warping mechanics. But that isn't the issue here. There's the issue Arjisme and I mentioned (the discrepancy between the warp and the roll), and there's also the "pop" (and its accompanying zone of missing animation). Neither one should be happening.

Originally Posted By: arjisme
This is extremely low on the list of things to worry about.

Agreed. The only reason there's been a fuss about it at all is that some people are trying to say that this small issue doesn't exist.

How my thread should have gone is something like this:

"Hey guys, there's this bug."
"Huh, that's interesting. Not particularly high priority, though."
"Yeah, but if it's easy to fix, maybe they can do it sometime later when they aren't as busy."

Instead, people try to deny its existence altogether, as if they're somehow defending the honor of the sim. [skyward glance] Sheesh.

#3287401 - 05/05/11 05:31 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BlueRaven]  
BuddyWoof Offline
BuddyWoof  Offline

Sheesh Josh, you are on a crusade aren't you? My joystick is just fine and even the most minute motion animates the warp. It's a G940 and it does have a very high precision contactless X & Y positional sensor. What joystick do you have that makes you think everyone else has a crappy joystick?

#3287454 - 05/05/11 08:16 AM Re: Looks like ROF represents wing warping very well. [Re: BuddyWoof]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

Originally Posted By: BuddyWoof
Sheesh Josh, you are on a crusade aren't you?

Crusade? I do not consider this animation glitch to be a large problem, which is why I did not post about it months ago when I found it. What I do consider a large problem is your crowd's religious attempt to deny the fact that this minor problem exists. Had you not not done so, the discussion about it would have been brief. I only mentioned it in passing, because it was relevant to the O.P.

even the most minute motion animates the warp.

As I mentioned in the other thread, you didn't follow the procedure I described. If I say "Do A and B to get C," and you reply with "You're wrong; I did X and Y and didn't get C," you've made a logical fallacy.

What joystick do you have that makes you think everyone else has a crappy joystick?

Thrustmaster T-16000M

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.