Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3284164 - 05/01/11 03:44 PM There are two kinds of pilots in CoD.......  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
....... Those who have made a gut-wrenching, total blackout, energy-bleeding, hard-turning counterattack into a speck of dust on their monitor; and those who refuse to admit it..........

Although, having said that, I never have...... wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3284206 - 05/01/11 04:29 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
catar Offline
catar  Offline

Perth Western Australia
lol just another day flying ROF I just said that I have to clean my monitor.............no more long dives for nothing duh

#3284476 - 05/01/11 10:16 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
lol , its a #%&*$# huh smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3284539 - 05/01/11 11:38 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: catar]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
Originally Posted By: catar
lol just another day flying ROF I just said that I have to clean my monitor.............no more long dives for nothing duh

LOL That's happened to me a lot in Il-2 and CoD. Long range visibility being what it is, I find it really easy to get confused...

Cheers

Nico

Last edited by VonBarb.; 05/01/11 11:38 PM.

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#3284598 - 05/02/11 01:01 AM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Maybe a corollary of that should be "If you haven't ever done that.....you ain't tryin' hard enough!" LOL

I first heard the "hard turn into a fly speck on the canopy" on the History Channel years ago during a lighthearted exchange between F16 pilots. We are not alone. wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3284601 - 05/02/11 01:04 AM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

In the SYN server, those bloody ships sat in the middle of the channel sometimes confuse me. They look like the lowest altitude group of 111's I've ever seen.

I'm finding that on a sparse server (say < 15 people player) then just finding people to get killed by is becoming a problem. I've had entire 45 minute 'combat air patrols' of just sitting up there without a whiff of a target. Picking out aircraft looking down onto a city, or those moving waves, or those trees smile is quite hard.

Plus the AI 'ghost groups' that appear/disappear on MP are driving me batty too.

#3284902 - 05/02/11 09:16 AM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: FearlessFrog]  
ooRay Offline
ooRay  Offline

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Plus the AI 'ghost groups' that appear/disappear on MP are driving me batty too.

Hell, these are so annoying. Not only do they take your focus all time, they also disappear the moment you have approached close enough to think they are real. And sometimes they are just floating crew members with no plane which never disappear. Creepy...

edit: I found them again! This time it was a close encounter. One of them even hitched a hike, but see for youself:

Last edited by ooRay; 05/02/11 01:29 PM.
#3285953 - 05/03/11 12:34 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: FearlessFrog]  
huckster Offline
huckster  Offline

yeah, rather annoying, and i know why now biggrin

#3286087 - 05/03/11 03:00 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted By: Snapper
....... Those who have made a gut-wrenching, total blackout, energy-bleeding, hard-turning counterattack into a speck of dust on their monitor; and those who refuse to admit it..........

..never done that for a speck of dust, but I did make a panic break from my radio aerial on the 109 casting a shadow in my cockpit...

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3286088 - 05/03/11 03:00 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: huckster]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted By: huckster

yeah, rather annoying, and i know why now biggrin

It's worse when it looks like a formation of planes, but as you get closer it's a bunch of limeys hovering in wonder woman's jet.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3286106 - 05/03/11 03:18 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ooRay]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: ooRay

Hell, these are so annoying. Not only do they take your focus all time, they also disappear the moment you have approached close enough to think they are real. And sometimes they are just floating crew members with no plane which never disappear. Creepy...

edit: I found them again! This time it was a close encounter. One of them even hitched a hike, but see for youself:

Rumor is that Ubisoft made them put in a SpitGuy graphic, for, you know, equality reasons.. wink

#3286119 - 05/03/11 03:40 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: FearlessFrog]  
ooRay Offline
ooRay  Offline

Rumor is that Ubisoft made them put in a SpitGuy graphic, for, you know, equality reasons.. wink

Which gives me the opportunity to point out, that this close encounter was COMPLETELY HARMLESS (except for the crash after take off) and that SpitGuy´s right fist is ONLY helping out with the fuel cock...

...erm, I gotta go...

#3286137 - 05/03/11 04:05 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Never mind, have you ever tried to bear down on a fruitfly as it hovers near screen, bloody UFOs!!

lol ooRay

#3286540 - 05/04/11 12:24 AM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
xnomad Offline
xnomad  Offline

Sydney, Australia
I've actually found finding planes on the Syndicate server really easy. Even with just 1 other guy on the server I found him quickly each time. On other servers less so. I guess Syndicate have a different dot setting?

The Aussie server that was up recently had a map were the front was in France and I found it really hard to see dots on the ground and everybody was ground hugging. However on Syndicate over England I found it easier, although you have to learn what to look for first. Maybe I'm just getting better at it?

I've actually chased debris before, some debris after collisions etc. seems to just hang in the air, I've seen entire tail planes just spinning around lazily at 3000 Metres and in no rush to fall to the ground.

Yes the ships, the barrage balloons and the radar towers all look like contacts from a distance, the barrage balloons drive me potty as you go back and forth on the map being fooled each time as their distance is hard to judge.

Also if you have a contact on the ground and you are following him, if you check your six briefly (with a bit of yaw, pitch and roll to check the blind spot) you have a 99% chance of not finding him again when you level off and resume tracking.

i5-2500K / P67A-UD3-B3 / GTX 560TI 1GB 900MHz OC
2 x 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM / Samsung 500GB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm / Antec TP 750 PSU / Win 7 HP 64bit / TrackIR 5 / MSFFB2 / CH Pro Throttle / CH Pro Pedals
#3287027 - 05/04/11 06:29 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
TheFamilyMan Offline
TheFamilyMan  Offline

Originally Posted By: Snapper

Is this a bad as pursuing your own shadow right in the ground? Has no one (else) ever done that...? WinkNGrin

#3287046 - 05/04/11 06:48 PM Re: There are two kinds of pilots in CoD....... [Re: xnomad]  
ATAG_Bliss Offline
ATAG_Bliss  Offline

Originally Posted By: xnomad
I've actually found finding planes on the Syndicate server really easy. Even with just 1 other guy on the server I found him quickly each time. On other servers less so. I guess Syndicate have a different dot setting?

The Aussie server that was up recently had a map were the front was in France and I found it really hard to see dots on the ground and everybody was ground hugging. However on Syndicate over England I found it easier, although you have to learn what to look for first. Maybe I'm just getting better at it?

I've actually chased debris before, some debris after collisions etc. seems to just hang in the air, I've seen entire tail planes just spinning around lazily at 3000 Metres and in no rush to fall to the ground.

Yes the ships, the barrage balloons and the radar towers all look like contacts from a distance, the barrage balloons drive me potty as you go back and forth on the map being fooled each time as their distance is hard to judge.

Also if you have a contact on the ground and you are following him, if you check your six briefly (with a bit of yaw, pitch and roll to check the blind spot) you have a 99% chance of not finding him again when you level off and resume tracking.

That is correct. I changed the dot settings. You can see them at 20km lol. I figured until the MP scene starts having over 80-130 people on servers, that playing on the big map with the 10-50 players would be hard. Once the MP side of things really takes off (looks like the latest patch is a step in the right direction) we'll be setting it to a more reasonable/realistic level. Until then smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.