Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3269637 - 04/14/11 11:06 AM Guided and Unguided Ordnance  
derbarbarian Offline
derbarbarian  Offline

Seattle
Hey guy's I just bought DCS A10 and I LOVE it, been aching for a good combat flight sim for ages and my friend told me about it and within 5 minutes I was downloading it. Anyways to the point, Are there any good YouTube or online posts about how to use namely the LGB's and unguided ordnance? I have brought up the TGP and bring up the little targeting crosshair and stuff but I cannot for the life of me get it to locked onto a target and have the bomb hit said target, same issue goes for missiles and unguided bombs.. I've done the tutorials several times and still can't seem to get them to work as they should. When I pull up the TGP then try to use the laser sighter thing on the right hand display about 2 buttons down from the top it says invalid entry on my HUD.. I've looked around and can't find anything to help me thus far.. I really love this game to death but I would love to know how to use everything correctly so then I can really enjoy it to the max. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3269680 - 04/14/11 12:19 PM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Start off with the in-game tutorials, they may be long but they will give you a good grounding on the basics.
Then go look at youtube, it should be easy enough to find some tutorials.. just type in DCS A-10 LGB or somesuch, and you are more than likely to find something !

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#3269711 - 04/14/11 12:55 PM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
Longbow fanatic Offline
Longbow fanatic  Offline

Santa Fe, NM USA
There's a great guide in the sticky section on this board, that's how I learned... but for the unguided bombs there is a way to go into the CDU and program wind speeds and direction , otherwise your unguided bombs will be inaccurate depending on how much wind there is ...

Why do people think flight sims are nerdy???
#3270089 - 04/14/11 07:34 PM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
petherf Offline
petherf  Offline

#3270384 - 04/15/11 12:39 AM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
der, what's your problem with dropping bombs exactly? As the others have suggested, you could do the tutorials or read the manual --- if they can't help I doubt YouTube videos would as well as they most often describe an attach TECHNIQUE rather than which button to press and when.

A simple "method" of dropping unguided bombs is to select CCIP mode and pickle them when you "put the thing on the thing." I prefer CCRP mode though, to do this, you have to use the TGP to find and lock on to a target, TMS Up Long to set it as SPI, then bring up CCRP and drive the PBIL along the ASL and hold the pickle as the the countdown reaches (and passes) zero. Dropping guided munitions is the same as CCRP drop but the HUD cues may be different.

- Ice
#3270540 - 04/15/11 04:15 AM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Go with the sticky in this forum to start out with. The official training exercises didn't make that much sense to me but when the stickied guide has step by step instructions with pictures! Once you know those basics, you'll be able to delve a little more, then a little bit more and before you know it you'll be customising ripples and loadouts in DSMS in no time.

#3278397 - 04/24/11 08:20 AM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
derbarbarian Offline
derbarbarian  Offline

Seattle
I've done the tutorials and watched a few video's and I still can't seem to get the damn thing to work, I can zoom in and point a target, but I lack the reticle and the drop timer and all of that, I can't figure out how to get the little circular reticle as in every video i've watched they've had that up when they're doing guided munitions.. The other thing I'm having issues with is the AGM missiles.. I'm sure with enough messing around I'll get it, but it would be alot better if the tutorials were a little more thorough, I plan on sitting down tomorrow with the game open and youtube going on my other screen to try and get this puppy down. Aside from the offical documents that have been releaesed are there any good third party guides that may help aside from youtube? Thanks again for all the replied I appreciate it.

#3278445 - 04/24/11 12:51 PM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
The best way to learn is to go up with someone who knows and get him to teach you.

As for your problems, a few things to check:
1. Master arm on?
2. Correct mode for the selected ordnance? Some are default-setup for CCRP, others for CCIP. Make it easy on yourself and drop your basic MK-82s first --- these humble bombs default to CCIP drop, but can do wonders on a CCRP drop as well. Load up with MK-82s, and drop via CCIP.
3. Sometimes the pipper will not come up when you are not on the correct dive angle. Rather than confuse you with CR modes, simply pitch your nose down a bit more and the pipper should come up (CCIP). CCRP mode will not have a pipper but only a release cue. Again, make it easy on yourself and drop your humble MK-82 on CCIP. Can't see the pipper? Pitch down more. Try doing drops from 10,000 feet, and pitch down 3-4nm from target. Off the top of my head, pipper should be up at 20-30 degree dive angle.
4. Save yourself some frustration by "accomplishing" something --- in this case getting bombs on target. Forget all the fancy stuff such as LGBs and AGMs for now, just start slow.

Hope that helps.

- Ice
#3278623 - 04/24/11 05:38 PM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
EvilBivol-1 Offline
EvilBivol-1  Offline

LA
It sounds like you may not be designating the target point as the SPI (sensor point of interest). This is done by a *long* (press and hold) TMS UP command (LCtrl+UP arrow on the keyboard). Also make sure you are in the correct master mode (M key on the keyboard or master mode button on the HOTAS). For guided bombs, this should CCRP.

EB
Belsimtek/TFC Associate
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com
#3280300 - 04/26/11 10:05 PM Re: Guided and Unguided Ordnance [Re: derbarbarian]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: derbarbarian
I can't figure out how to get the little circular reticle as in every video i've watched they've had that up when they're doing guided munitions.. The other thing I'm having issues with is the AGM missiles.. I'm sure with enough messing around I'll get it, but it would be alot better if the tutorials were a little more thorough, I plan on sitting down tomorrow with the game open and youtube going on my other screen to try and get this puppy down.

There was a great suggestion to map the Active Pause function to the Scroll Lock key - that way it is next to the regular Pause key. Use Active Pause to train yourself for target acquisition and weapons release.

I printed out the tables of the switch functions for the China Hat, TMS and DMS switches and mounted them above my keyboard. I do set the Release Consent to 3/9 rather than 5 mil, and for Mavs I'm liking the Forced Correlation Mode for quick target locks.

Wrecking Crew

crew

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.