Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3276886 - 04/22/11 11:37 AM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Feathered_IV Offline
Feathered_IV  Offline

Australia
Those update pics are great! Can we have another outage next week too?! WinkNGrin

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3276913 - 04/22/11 12:27 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
ROFs back working online again smile

Hopefully 777 can get some compo from Amazon for this.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3276916 - 04/22/11 12:35 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
ARM505 Offline
ARM505  Offline

I appreciate the comments made by some here, but just a few points:

- "Amazon let 777 down": True BUT, I would argue that 777 put themselves (and us) in a position to be let down by another service provider, and further, potentially cause future probems for individual users (ie poor/intermittent internet connections etc) They obviously chose a product that they thought would be reliable but in this specific case wasn't. Nonetheless, THEY put themselves and us, the buyer of their products in that position, nobody else. Their users acted in good faith, and were let down by choices they made, not by choices we made. Again, online activation a la the examples I quoted use tiny amounts of bandwidth, and only on a once off basis - hence less reliance on always on, high speed lines, and this also give the producers of the product (777) the ability to handle that aspect themselves (a la Combat Mission's activation process)

- The two examples I quoted have not been pirated AFAIK. The initial Russian release of DCS: Black Shark was crackable, but it used a different system and the crack involved merging two different products together if you wanted to play in english. DCS: A10, and Combat Mission: Shock Force and it's addons have never been cracked to the best of my knowledge. The numerous patches applied to sims also tends to defeat cracks with each release anyway. I would also argue that sim players are older, wealthier, and less likely to pirate software in any case, but that's rambling on a bit.

This isn't a rant (ultimately I'll get a working product that functions most of the time) - I argue the point because I do believe there is a better way forward for 777 that would be less intrusive and problematic for them and us. It's their choice of course. I was talked into buying this by a friend because of the Easter special - I had always held off buying it purely based on their DRM decision.

#3276920 - 04/22/11 12:44 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
is the website still down? I still cant access the site

#3276924 - 04/22/11 12:50 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
ARM505 Offline
ARM505  Offline

The server is still down for me too:

....and here is (obviously!) what really happened!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRxASytPuQ

#3276929 - 04/22/11 12:55 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: ARM505]  
Queeg Offline
Queeg  Offline

Originally Posted By: ARM505

Can ROF be played this way? ie Startup and play completely offline with zero loss of functionality? Not having been able to activate my copy (and now being away for work for a week), I haven't been able to find out smile Also, I read another post recently where a user, despite playing in offline mode even though he was connected, still got the 'Connection to master server lost' message every 30 seconds when the server went down. That sounds unnecessarily painful.

Absolutely it can be played this way. I only go online in three situations: (1) the original installation, (2) to download updates and (3) to change my in-game pilot profile (from one nationality to another). Brief log-in for a specific purpose, then offline. I always play offline. And I've never gotten the "connection lost" message.

Unfortunately, you just happened to buy the game at the one time the server is down. I completely understand your frustration. But it's not representative of how the game works on a day-to-day basis.

#3276967 - 04/22/11 01:37 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: Queeg]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
Originally Posted By: Queeg
Originally Posted By: ARM505

Can ROF be played this way? ie Startup and play completely offline with zero loss of functionality? Not having been able to activate my copy (and now being away for work for a week), I haven't been able to find out smile Also, I read another post recently where a user, despite playing in offline mode even though he was connected, still got the 'Connection to master server lost' message every 30 seconds when the server went down. That sounds unnecessarily painful.

Absolutely it can be played this way. I only go online in three situations: (1) the original installation, (2) to download updates and (3) to change my in-game pilot profile (from one nationality to another). Brief log-in for a specific purpose, then offline. I always play offline. And I've never gotten the "connection lost" message.

Unfortunately, you just happened to buy the game at the one time the server is down. I completely understand your frustration. But it's not representative of how the game works on a day-to-day basis.

+1. Perfectly explained.

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3276969 - 04/22/11 01:41 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
charlo Offline
charlo  Offline

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Lucky me, this happened while I am in the Philippines on a scuba trip and away from my ROF rig. Maybe I won't be as rusty as I thought compared to all the other MPers when I get back home this weekend. smile

It's great to see so many names I recognize in this thread, too.

For those frustrated with the inability to get online, this would be a good time to try Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator, which can be downloaded from http://www.wingsofhonour.com/forums/ipboard/index.php?/files/ (look for the one dated April 18, his most recent version at this time).

The very long thread about the Campaign Generator is at ROF Campaign Released) elsewhere on this site.

Charlo

i7-950 OC to 4 GHz CPU
Asus P6X58D-E X58 MB
Sapphire HD 7950 OC 3GB GCU
Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit
======
MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz
http://i49.tinypic.com/j8zkzr.png
#3276989 - 04/22/11 02:01 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
777 Studios - Jason Offline
777 Studios - Jason  Offline

Southern California or Moscow
I'm happy to report that all systems are back online except the ROF Forum which will be back online soon.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. Amazon did cause us to loose a lot of business during our busiest week ever so we're pretty pissed off. Take a look at all who were affected. Looks like they got iRacing too.

http://ec2disabled.com/

And for the record, our system us not just about DRM, it's an entire Content Delivery System designed to be flexible and forward looking and it allows us to do some trick things that we like very much and by the continued growth of the ROF community so do you.

A big outage like this is actually rare and we take steps to back up our content and system, but those systems also use Amazon. We never expected such a huge shutdown for so long. A big provider like Amazon should not have such issues for so long, but in the global technological heap that is the 21st century stuff like this can happen I guess.

The bottom line is that this is an example of the worst thing that could go wrong at the worst time and it's embarassing, frustrating and irritating. The ROF crew has been working hard since the beginning of the outage to get you back up and fully flying as quickly as possible. They have been at there stations round the clock. Please know that this outage blindsided them as much as it did you.

Even with this hiccup, over the past 2 years since launch we have been up and running 99.992% of the time.

We thank you guys for your patience and understanding. To those new users who just got into ROF, as has been said here already, this is not the typical week for ROF by any stretch of the imagination.

Our Easter sale has been extended a day or two longer so those who were unable to buy planes yesterday can now do so.

Again, thanks to everyone for keeping you cool, we appreciate it!

Jason

#3277003 - 04/22/11 02:11 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Devastator Offline
Devastator  Offline

Glad you guys got it solved, Ill go back to the demo and who knows I might treat myself on a easter present this weekend wink

Cheers

Adrian

#3277009 - 04/22/11 02:15 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Sounds like Sony have big problems of their own.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13169518

Glad to hear that things are getting back to normal Jason.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3277015 - 04/22/11 02:16 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
nice... I just pre ordered the breguet and got the sopwith triplane smile I was going to get the neuport 11...but not sure about it biggrin

Last edited by jdbecks; 04/22/11 02:16 PM.
#3277024 - 04/22/11 02:20 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Kunter7 Offline
Kunter7  Offline

Sugar Land, TX USA
I'm able to access the forum now... looks like everything is back! cheers

(Standby... that may have been a little premature... I was able to sign in... but then the old 404. Must be close though).

Edit: Got into the website with the store and everything else up except the forum... we're close now!

Last edited by Kunter7; 04/22/11 02:23 PM.
#3277043 - 04/22/11 02:42 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: jdbecks]  
Donik Offline
Donik  Offline

Chicago, US
Originally Posted By: jdbecks
I was going to get the neuport 11...but not sure about it biggrin

Get it, it's an awesome little plane hehe.. My favorite of the neuport series so far smile

#3277058 - 04/22/11 02:56 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: Donik]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
Originally Posted By: Donik
Originally Posted By: jdbecks
I was going to get the neuport 11...but not sure about it biggrin

Get it, it's an awesome little plane hehe.. My favorite of the neuport series so far smile

took much convincing lol, I just got it!

Last edited by jdbecks; 04/22/11 02:58 PM.
#3277060 - 04/22/11 02:58 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Hellbender Offline
Hellbender  Offline

Grimbergen, Belgium
Wow, you got back up even before Reddit.

Coincidence or does someone at Amazon actually care about RoF? In any case, this was a very unfortunate incident, but some of the whining and lack of understanding displayed in this thread baffles me.

sigh

#3277070 - 04/22/11 03:06 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Quote:
This isn't a rant (ultimately I'll get a working product that functions most of the time) - I argue the point because I do believe there is a better way forward for 777 that would be less intrusive and problematic for them and us. It's their choice of course. I was talked into buying this by a friend because of the Easter special - I had always held off buying it purely based on their DRM decision.

The decision was made 3-4 years ago to follow this DRM route. Using the online component not just for DRM but also make it a feature and use the online connection for things like profile storage. For instance not only are stats and profiles stored online, but also the career mission generator mission templates. The new career mode will use this feature too. The Templates can be updated on the fly by the devs without the need for dozens of micro patches. This feature will be even more handy when the new campiagn is out.
Player A reports a bug in a career mission - 777 respond by fixing that bug almost instantaniously.

Coming back to the DRM, it was soon realised by NeoQB that the online issue was a big issue with the buyers of RoF. When Jason got involved he also realised this and pushed for it to be relaxed. Hence the offline option for single missions and QMB. The reliance on online is still an issue with a lot of people and 777 and Jason know this so, once again, I reference the comment made by Jason earlier in this thread, where he stated that they are looking at ways to relax it even more.

I, for one, am pro the online component. I like that my game profile is stored online. That I can log into any PC with RoF installed and instantly pick up where I left off. This blackout has been a pain. But i have been lucky enough to have been playing this game since the first beta without any internet issues until now. That's quite a few days uptime and only this one day down.

Arma505, you have just been very unlucky mate. You will eventually end up with a product that functions a lot more than just some of the time.
Life can be a lottery sometimes. You choose to succumb to the temptation of RoF just as Amazon decided to go tits up.

Last edited by Brigstock; 04/22/11 03:06 PM.
#3277081 - 04/22/11 03:11 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: Brigstock]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
Originally Posted By: Brigstock
[quote] But i have been lucky enough to have been playing this game since the first beta without any internet issues until now. That's quite a few days uptime and only this one day down.

p.

Same for me, Ive been playing since the game was released, and this is the first time I have been effected by it...and it was no big deal imho

#3277100 - 04/22/11 03:40 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
Sykstring Offline
Sykstring  Offline

VA USA
In celebration of it being back up, I will now treat myself to some new planes. I am so weak, but playing into my weaknesses is so much fun!

[Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5-B3 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel MB
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @3.4GHz (3.8GHz turbo Boost) Currently running @ stock speeds.
G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2x4GB) SDRAM DDR3 2133
2 EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 570
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SSD
Corsair AX1200 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Modular PS
Windows 7 Ultimate]

Old system above.
#3277122 - 04/22/11 04:15 PM Re: Problem with the Servers [Re: 777 Studios - Jason]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
I'm happy to report that all systems are back online except the ROF Forum which will be back online soon.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. Amazon did cause us to loose a lot of business during our busiest week ever so we're pretty pissed off. Take a look at all who were affected. Looks like they got iRacing too.

http://ec2disabled.com/

And for the record, our system us not just about DRM, it's an entire Content Delivery System designed to be flexible and forward looking and it allows us to do some trick things that we like very much and by the continued growth of the ROF community so do you.

A big outage like this is actually rare and we take steps to back up our content and system, but those systems also use Amazon. We never expected such a huge shutdown for so long. A big provider like Amazon should not have such issues for so long, but in the global technological heap that is the 21st century stuff like this can happen I guess.

The bottom line is that this is an example of the worst thing that could go wrong at the worst time and it's embarassing, frustrating and irritating. The ROF crew has been working hard since the beginning of the outage to get you back up and fully flying as quickly as possible. They have been at there stations round the clock. Please know that this outage blindsided them as much as it did you.

Even with this hiccup, over the past 2 years since launch we have been up and running 99.992% of the time.

We thank you guys for your patience and understanding. To those new users who just got into ROF, as has been said here already, this is not the typical week for ROF by any stretch of the imagination.

Our Easter sale has been extended a day or two longer so those who were unable to buy planes yesterday can now do so.

Again, thanks to everyone for keeping you cool, we appreciate it!

Jason
Thanks for your update Jason and you guys really do a fantastic job. I greatly appreciate it! smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.