Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3267660 - 04/12/11 10:48 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: IvanK]  
Bando Offline
Bando  Offline

Originally Posted By: IvanK
Great shot first one I have seen with RPM level ! How did you do that ? independent control ?

The Blenheim engine controls have imo a mind of their own.

Prop Pitch plungers work opposite to the intended operation (IRL In is FINE OUT is COARSE)
Props should be 2 speed VP ... they are some hybrid.
No one starts a piston with Carby heat on.
Mercury engines did require Warm Air in low power cruise (its well documented)
Mixtures setting are not incremental in the Blenheim (IRL) just two position.

Independent control. I have purchased (for ROF) a Saitek quadrant and recently (since ROF introduced bombers) a CH quadrant. I also have a slider on the MSFFB2 and am using a game pad with all buttons assigned. CH rudder pedals complete the picture. So, yeah, quite some sliders and buttons over here. (some sort of HOTAS for sure)

You are right about the carb heat. Both engines will start without it.
About the pitch; I find that the sliders and the corresponding graphical presentation of it are without intermediate "steps" but the working behind it makes me believe there are only 2 conditions for the proppitch. I'm not quite sure, but the first 60% of travel on the sliders, there's no difference in performance. After that, the engine sounds change and the new pitch takes effect.
When starting in this AC, the rudder is trimmed to stbd, to be corrected immediately, for this plane is hard enough to taxi as it is.
Mixture, set forward during start (little red slider on the graph to up) and I leave it there, had no probs with it. Exhaust flame remains short blue.

I love this plane.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3267672 - 04/12/11 11:10 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

there should be a realism option (like in RoF) for pre-warmed engines.....

and btw, i had also success biggrin its realy all about engine temp and beeing very carefully with the engine revolutions.

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3268110 - 04/12/11 08:10 PM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
Koala Offline
Koala  Offline

Wollongong the Brave!
Just completed a training flight. Manston then south and west along the coast to Cowes, up past Southhampton and landed at Andover, takeoff at 0600. 50% fuel in inboard tanks and no payload. Flew as per Ivank's information on 2 speed prop and 2 stage mix.

Steady cruise in coarse pitch with +2 or +3 boost sat me on a constant 1750 rpm with an IAS of about 235. Kept mix at full/auto rich for the flight. The engine temps sat comfortably at about 200 - 210. Oil sat happily at 35. I'm not sure about the need to keep it above 40. If I closed the gills any more it just increased the engine temp without helping the oil. Maybe 35 is OK for cruise?

Didnt touch the carb heaters all flight - low alt though - 2 - 3000ft only. How would I know if I needed them on?

Landed with all systems intact and the crate ready to fly home if I could find the bloke with the fuel truck.

Very enjoyable flight. Sad that more landmarks are not present. I looked for the long man at Wilmington unsuccessfully. No Brighton pier/s. Couldn't see my old house.

Wind still kills successful taxying except when turned right off. Bit of a bummer not to be able to taxi clear at the end of a good flight.

#3268399 - 04/13/11 03:44 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
Koala Offline
Koala  Offline

Wollongong the Brave!
Having fun here. 40 minute joyflight, Manston to Lympne. Arrived to find the chaps had laid on a spot of morning tea but for reasons unknown had all scarpered just as I arrived.

I mucked about with the carby heater during the climb and at around 8000 ft. Definately has an effect on the way the engines run, just not sure what it is. Seems to be incremental too. A little bit changes the engine note just a bit, a little more changes the note, and the characteristics of the exhaust, somemore. I didn't push it too far as I didn't want to arrive with a buggered kite, eh what?

It appears that the CEM is certainly sophisticated and genuinely deserves plane-specific cards.

Next - trying some heavy takeoffs.

#3268477 - 04/13/11 07:19 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Looking forward to hearing about your discoveries!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3268624 - 04/13/11 12:41 PM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
Koala Offline
Koala  Offline

Wollongong the Brave!
Just completed the same trip with a full load of 4 x 250 pdrs and 80% fuel, leaving about 350kg or so safety margin.

Certainly used the full main runway at manston but didn't need boost. Nice shallow climb away at +4 boost with temps at max safe, reducing to +2 after a while to keep temps down. About 8000 feet up as I crossed the coast at Dover and climbing steadily at 130 IAS, 40 on the oil and about 230 on the cylinders. Pretty pleasing and look forward to having time to go higher and further.

As this was a training run, I opened the bomb doors up and attempted to jettison the ordnance out in the channel (to the joy of trawlermen for the next 80 years). No joy with the key assignment I'd made for "safely drop bombs" so I paused, re-assigned and tried again, once more unsuccessfully. I then used the old fashioned "drop bombs" command and that got them away. Too busy watching the external view (which I rarely do) to see the bombs drop free to notice if she leapt up in the air with reduced weight. That's one for next trip. Anyway, possible minor bug with the jettison stores?

A very quick decent to find Lympne almost caused grief. I did put the carby heaters on the for decent but was still too inattentive to cooling and before I knew it, both oil and cylinder temps had plummeted and the engines started to sound very sick. I carefully coaxed some warmth back into the old dears and when they were running relatively smoothly again, I shut down the carby heaters, fined up the prop, settled them down some more and got ready for the circuit. Luckily I'd caught it before any serious damage occured, but I wasn't far off it. It would be a bugger to fly a full mission only to kill the engines while descending to attack altitude.

She's a nice old plane the Bleny.

Edit. One thing I forgot to add. There seem to be wing bomb bays and wing bomb rack positions, but no capacity to arm them in the FMB. Only 4 x 250 or 2 x 500 options for main bay. No options other than empty for wing positions. Are other, smaller british bombs modelled?

Last edited by Koala; 04/13/11 12:49 PM.
#3269036 - 04/13/11 06:53 PM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Sounds good. smile Do you need to open the bomb bay doors before the bombs will drop?

#3269179 - 04/13/11 09:01 PM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
danjama Offline
danjama  Offline

London
I am so jealous. Looks like us bomber pilots coming over from il2 are well catered for, and will have much more on our plates this time around!

Angels Three zero says:
would you feck with emma watson ?
I really dont think you should do that....the result would not be in your favour..... says:
hell yea

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"
#3269192 - 04/13/11 09:16 PM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
its actually pretty fun to fly the bombers in COD , I often do not enjoy it in other games.

Last edited by jdbecks; 04/13/11 09:17 PM.
#3269277 - 04/13/11 10:25 PM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
Koala Offline
Koala  Offline

Wollongong the Brave!
Quote:
Do you need to open the bomb bay doors before the bombs will drop?

I do. Haven't tried without it. Assignments are available for open bomb doors, close bomb doors and/or toggle bomb doors.

#3269833 - 04/14/11 03:04 PM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

does your key short cut "release bomb" is working in the Blenheim or only the yellow 3D button,used by the mouse (F10) in the bombaimers cockpit ??

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3274778 - 04/20/11 03:21 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
SC/JG_Oesau Offline
SC/JG_Oesau  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Bomb bay key shouldn't work as the doors were opened as the bombs dropped.

Haven't checked the latest version to confirm if this has been resolved.

CPU - i7-3770K @3.50Ghz, RAM - 32Gb (800Mhz), Video Card - GTX980Ti
TrackIR-4, Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Satiek Quadrant, Saitek Switch Panel, Logitech G510 Keyboard, Win 7 Home Prem 64bit
#3274874 - 04/20/11 07:12 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
IvanK Offline
IvanK  Offline

Aus
Not resolved as yet

#3282475 - 04/29/11 08:05 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
911dan Offline
911dan  Offline

great thread! next time i'm in FMB gonna have to make a mission w/big tall clouds and fly Blenheim thru them to find out if carbs will ice. darkcloud

#3283218 - 04/30/11 04:39 AM Re: Blennheim [Re: Bando]  
xpupx Offline
xpupx  Offline

Acording to pilot notes for the Blenheim the Carb Heat is for high altitude flight to stop the fuel iceing up!

Originally Posted By: Bando
Originally Posted By: IvanK
Great shot first one I have seen with RPM level ! How did you do that ? independent control ?

The Blenheim engine controls have imo a mind of their own.

Prop Pitch plungers work opposite to the intended operation (IRL In is FINE OUT is COARSE)
Props should be 2 speed VP ... they are some hybrid.
No one starts a piston with Carby heat on.
Mercury engines did require Warm Air in low power cruise (its well documented)
Mixtures setting are not incremental in the Blenheim (IRL) just two position.

Independent control. I have purchased (for ROF) a Saitek quadrant and recently (since ROF introduced bombers) a CH quadrant. I also have a slider on the MSFFB2 and am using a game pad with all buttons assigned. CH rudder pedals complete the picture. So, yeah, quite some sliders and buttons over here. (some sort of HOTAS for sure)

You are right about the carb heat. Both engines will start without it.
About the pitch; I find that the sliders and the corresponding graphical presentation of it are without intermediate "steps" but the working behind it makes me believe there are only 2 conditions for the proppitch. I'm not quite sure, but the first 60% of travel on the sliders, there's no difference in performance. After that, the engine sounds change and the new pitch takes effect.
When starting in this AC, the rudder is trimmed to stbd, to be corrected immediately, for this plane is hard enough to taxi as it is.
Mixture, set forward during start (little red slider on the graph to up) and I leave it there, had no probs with it. Exhaust flame remains short blue.

I love this plane.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.