Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3272453 - 04/17/11 06:27 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
Jimko Offline
Jimko  Offline

Vancouver Island, BC
Like it or not, is this review a case of...

The Truth Hurts? (It sounds like it is)

Last edited by Jimko; 04/17/11 08:06 PM.

Jimko

"The older we are, the better we were!"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3272459 - 04/17/11 06:42 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
Insuber Offline
Insuber  Offline

France
At this stage of (un)developement, the wise reviewer would put a "not classified", as Eurogamer did. You cannot rate a game that is unfinished, and blaming the producer and distributor for this mess can be done without condemning this product to failure without appeal.

The text of the review is fair and depicts faithfully the current status of affairs. The 4/10 note is very unfair, and risks to kill this baby in his cradle, imo.

Cheers,
Insuber

#3272468 - 04/17/11 07:21 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Yep, spot-on and fair. The game is actually lucky to get a 4.0. Could have been worse.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3272470 - 04/17/11 07:26 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
spiffyscimitar Offline
spiffyscimitar  Offline

It's rather frustrating to hear people complaining about the game aspect of the sim. For years it seemed most people would go on and on about trivial little bits of detail that had no bearing on the atmosphere, story, mission structure, etc. And yet, here it is, a game so laden with detail it sinks to the bottom. A low score here should make no difference at all, it's the game you always asked for.

#3272471 - 04/17/11 07:28 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: Insuber]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Originally Posted By: Insuber
At this stage of (un)developement, the wise reviewer would put a "not classified", as Eurogamer did. You cannot rate a game that is unfinished, and blaming the producer and distributor for this mess can be done without condemning this product to failure without appeal.

The text of the review is fair and depicts faithfully the current status of affairs. The 4/10 note is very unfair, and risks to kill this baby in his cradle, imo.

Cheers,
Insuber

That's not how game reviews work, and not how they SHOULD work. What do you want reviewers to do, wait 2-3 years after release for the devs to stop adding patches to games before they can be reviewed? Most games released now are technically unfinished. He was quite fair and mentioned that the game had potential and people should wait until it gets patched more.

If you release a broken game, expect a bad review, simple as that.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3272473 - 04/17/11 07:32 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: spiffyscimitar]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: spiffyscimitar
It's rather frustrating to hear people complaining about the game aspect of the sim. For years it seemed most people would go on and on about trivial little bits of detail that had no bearing on the atmosphere, story, mission structure, etc. And yet, here it is, a game so laden with detail it sinks to the bottom. A low score here should make no difference at all, it's the game you always asked for.

No it isn't! I don't remember people saying "give us the ability to switch to other planes in flight, that would be far more important than having hundres of planes in the air". I remember the devs also saying many times, "AI no longer see through clouds", yet the AI can see through clouds. I don't remember the community saying "don't give us FFB support". I don't remember at any point the community saying, "give us campaigns were we shoot down renegades and have girls on our laps".

#3272474 - 04/17/11 07:35 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: Insuber]  
WastedJoker Offline
WastedJoker  Offline

Cheers,
Insuber

4.0 is more accurate than "not classified", imo. A score of 4.0 rightly punishes a developer for releasing what is clearly a broken game. Only when such behaviour limits sales (the way bad reviews do) will we see a reverse in the trend.

#3272478 - 04/17/11 07:43 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
Thr0tt Offline
Thr0tt  Offline

These scores will harm the game and future sales, the game was released in an extremely broken way and still has a way to go before its fit for market. Still if 1C don't care about negative publicity and all publicity is good publicity then good luck to them, personally I will this studio a wide berth should they release anything in the future, maybe use other methods to test before I buy.

MP in the game is still very poor, lobby system, game running etc. is just down right a sham, its like this dev have never played online or this was their first game...

Specs: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P | AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE 3.2GHz | XFX RADEON HD 5850 (Latest Cats) CCC | Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel | Hanns-G HH281 28" LCD | X-Fi Ultimate Gamer (5.1) | LiteOn DH20A4P DVD-RW | Saitek Cyborg X Joystick | Win7 Ultimate
#3272479 - 04/17/11 07:45 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: HogDriver]  
Insuber Offline
Insuber  Offline

France
Originally Posted By: HogDriver

Cheers,
Insuber

That's not how game reviews work, and not how they SHOULD work. What do you want reviewers to do, wait 2-3 years after release for the devs to stop adding patches to games before they can be reviewed? Most games released now are technically unfinished. He was quite fair and mentioned that the game had potential and people should wait until it gets patched more.

I agree that this is IN THEORY the approach to game reviews, mate. But flight sims are not games, they are a dying niche genre to be protected and nurtured smile. Noting a flight sim only 2 weeks after release is not a good idea, imo, if you consider the story of this genre, from the early Il2 to RoF.
I believe that you can review CloD thoroughly, as Gamespot did fairly and correctly, and at the same time suspend cleverly the judgment, as Eurogamers.fr did waiting for patches.

Anyway, what I would greatly appreciate is a word of truth from the developers, to clear up this ambiguous situation where a beta is sold and reviewed as a finished product.

Cheers,
Insuber

#3272481 - 04/17/11 07:47 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: Insuber]  
WastedJoker Offline
WastedJoker  Offline

Cheers,
Insuber

I agree that this is IN THEORY the approach to game reviews, mate. But flight sims are not games, they are a dying niche genre to be protected and nurtured smile. Noting a flight sim only 2 weeks after release is not a good idea, imo, if you consider the story of this genre, from the early Il2 to RoF.
I believe that you can review CloD thoroughly, as Gamespot did fairly and correctly, and at the same time suspend cleverly the judgment, as Eurogamers.fr did waiting for patches.

Anyway, what I would greatly appreciate is a word of truth from the developers, to clear up this ambiguous situation where a beta is sold and reviewed as a finished product.

Cheers,
Insuber

It is exactly this permissive nature which has caused the decline in sim popularity.

#3272487 - 04/17/11 08:00 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: Insuber]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

#3272518 - 04/17/11 08:51 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
RocketDog Offline
RocketDog  Offline

Bath, England
LOL!

Beyond gliding distance
#3272519 - 04/17/11 08:52 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: Insuber]  
Ssnake51 Offline
Ssnake51  Offline

California

Cheers,
Insuber

I agree that this is IN THEORY the approach to game reviews, mate. But flight sims are not games, they are a dying niche genre to be protected and nurtured smile.

BS. If a company release a crappy product, they deserve to be punished by loss of sales.

All you are doing is encouraging the production of lousy sims with that attitude.

Asus Maximus IX Formula | i7 7700k | 32GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1080ti | Dell U3011 2560 x 1600 | Benchmark DAC2 HGC | dynaudio MKII Studio Monitors | Thrustmaster WartHog
#3272522 - 04/17/11 08:57 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
DaveP63 Offline
DaveP63  Offline

Indiana, USA
I will go ahead and say it as someone who has been a fan and supporter of the series since IL2 1.0...I agree that the A/C are visually stunning. I love the cockpit shadows. The fact you can select ammo loads and you have a lot more ability to work with weapons convergence, all lovely. But let's sum it up: If, after SIX YEARS, all they can come up with is the ability to dress up your "Combat Ken" doll, giant text screens all over the in game cockpit, "Joe Bentoz will fly for the red forces, Battle Begins", yet another half azzed manual, a bunch of undocumented features some of which actually work, a campaign that isn't, a whole bunch of inane and totally wasted details that you will never see when you are moving over 5 MPH, planes that are overweight out of the box, some FMs reportedly "porked", aircraft that can't reach service ceiling or maximum speed unless you stand on your left foot while you rub your tummy with your right hand and sacrifice a goat because the CEM is reportedly "porked", the initial inability to fight over land, the AI that can still see through clouds and do all the bad old stuff even though once and a while you get one that will sit still and let you shoot him full of holes, the sounds that seem recycled from 46, horrid interface, poor performance for most consumers out of the box, and most importantly...The total inability to simulate the very thing that it's MARKETED to be. A simulation of the Battle of Britain. Ragging somebody because they don't have a bleeding edge I7 or they don't want to drop $4-500 bucks on a new video card so they can run 40 planes over land doesn't do anything to address the fact that for every good thing that there is here, there are twenty that make you go WTH. It's not the fact that we can't see the forest for the (virtual) trees, assuming of course, you can have them turned on. They sure as hell couldn't see the forest for the virtual trees when they wasted vast amounts of time and manpower on minutia when they could've been implementing some basic stuff like force feedback.

Having said all that...Then maybe they deserve to fail. I hope they don't. I hope it's not the end of the line for WWII flightsims. If it is, it doesn't have anything to do with us not supporting. It's on them for not delivering a product worthy of supporting.

i5-4460@3.2ghz, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte GTX1050Ti 4GB, 2TB HDD, 500GB SDD
#3272528 - 04/17/11 09:06 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: DaveP63]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: DaveP63
I will go ahead and say it as someone who has been a fan and supporter of the series since IL2 1.0...I agree that the A/C are visually stunning. I love the cockpit shadows. The fact you can select ammo loads and you have a lot more ability to work with weapons convergence, all lovely. But let's sum it up: If, after SIX YEARS, all they can come up with is the ability to dress up your "Combat Ken" doll, giant text screens all over the in game cockpit, "Joe Bentoz will fly for the red forces, Battle Begins", yet another half azzed manual, a bunch of undocumented features some of which actually work, a campaign that isn't, a whole bunch of inane and totally wasted details that you will never see when you are moving over 5 MPH, planes that are overweight out of the box, some FMs reportedly "porked", aircraft that can't reach service ceiling or maximum speed unless you stand on your left foot while you rub your tummy with your right hand and sacrifice a goat because the CEM is reportedly "porked", the initial inability to fight over land, the AI that can still see through clouds and do all the bad old stuff even though once and a while you get one that will sit still and let you shoot him full of holes, the sounds that seem recycled from 46, horrid interface, poor performance for most consumers out of the box, and most importantly...The total inability to simulate the very thing that it's MARKETED to be. A simulation of the Battle of Britain. Ragging somebody because they don't have a bleeding edge I7 or they don't want to drop $4-500 bucks on a new video card so they can run 40 planes over land doesn't do anything to address the fact that for every good thing that there is here, there are twenty that make you go WTH. It's not the fact that we can't see the forest for the (virtual) trees, assuming of course, you can have them turned on. They sure as hell couldn't see the forest for the virtual trees when they wasted vast amounts of time and manpower on minutia when they could've been implementing some basic stuff like force feedback.

Having said all that...Then maybe they deserve to fail. I hope they don't. I hope it's not the end of the line for WWII flightsims. If it is, it doesn't have anything to do with us not supporting. It's on them for not delivering a product worthy of supporting.

+1000...my sentiments exactly! I've bought every title in the preceeding series, including two addons, as I'm sure MANY on here have. It's not for a lack of customer support and dedication that there's a problem....not at all.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every, single minute of it."
#3272534 - 04/17/11 09:12 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
sascha Offline
sascha  Offline

Munich, Germany
Good one, Frog.. smile

System: Asus P5Q-E - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300@ 2.5 GHz (currently @3.0 GHz) - Gigabyte GF GTX460 1GB OC - 2x2 GB OCZ DDR2-RAM - Samsung P2370 23'' - MS Sidewinder 2 FF (red trigger, baby!) - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 + Pro-Clip - Windows Vista 64 Home Premium
#3272549 - 04/17/11 09:36 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: DaveP63]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

clapping

Example:

Dev1: - Lets get as many AI planes in the air as possible, it will be a virual Battle of Britain.

Dev2: - No, let not waste time doing such worthless trivial things like that, lets give people the ability to jump to any plane in the mission.

Dev1: - Great Idea, way better than trying to create a decent campaign with loads of AI.

Dev1: - OK, now lets get that FFB support implemented.

Dev2: - Or we could forget that and create a 3D girl to sit on your lap.

Dev1: - Amazing, you keep coming up with such great ideas.

Dev1: - Right, we need to make it so the AI cannot see through clouds, after all we have promised this feature was done.

Dev2: - No, lets not bother. I know we promised but I can't be arsed, and don't tell anyone we droppped that feature, the idiots won't notice anyway.

#3272558 - 04/17/11 09:51 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: Insuber]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium

The only reason they did not review it was because they could not run the game on their test systems. Their decision has nothing to do with any concern about the future of flight simulations wink

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#3272564 - 04/17/11 10:12 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: devastat]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Ah finger wagging and finger pointing, my fingers are too sore from pressing the trigger to participate or I would. smile

#3272576 - 04/17/11 10:37 PM Re: Gamespot Review for CoD - Score: 4.0 [Re: DaveP63]  
Ssnake51 Offline
Ssnake51  Offline

California

All very good points. If they do fail I don't think that will be the end of WW2 flight sims. It just means that someone eles - who is, hopefully, more competent - will move in to take their place because there is still a large enough group of gamers whe are eager to support this type of game.

Asus Maximus IX Formula | i7 7700k | 32GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1080ti | Dell U3011 2560 x 1600 | Benchmark DAC2 HGC | dynaudio MKII Studio Monitors | Thrustmaster WartHog
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.