Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3268558 - 04/13/11 11:11 AM SimHQ review for CoD?  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

Are we waiting for a US release of CoD before we get to hear SimHQ's views on it? I'm looking forward to it!

Dozer
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3268562 - 04/13/11 11:31 AM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
sascha Offline
sascha  Offline

Munich, Germany
Can't speak for SimHQ, but in its current, unmodded, state, I'd call the game pretty much unreviewable. At least if you're choosing the logical approach of reviewing it on a system with recommended specs and without 3rd-party-mods installed.

S.

System: Asus P5Q-E - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300@ 2.5 GHz (currently @3.0 GHz) - Gigabyte GF GTX460 1GB OC - 2x2 GB OCZ DDR2-RAM - Samsung P2370 23'' - MS Sidewinder 2 FF (red trigger, baby!) - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 + Pro-Clip - Windows Vista 64 Home Premium
#3268567 - 04/13/11 11:44 AM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
S! Dozer, let's say it's like the curate's egg and like an old friend at the same time. It's good in parts, hard to criticise, a bit deep. It's like you then Smile2

Plus question two, did you get it yet? Good innit Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#3268611 - 04/13/11 12:29 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
Georgio Offline
Georgio  Offline

Hockley, UK
I'm guessing that SimHQ will take the sensible route of waiting until the promised patches make the sim reviewable.

Any review at the moment would be debatable as to it's integrity either pro or con...

#3268627 - 04/13/11 12:43 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Georgio]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: Georgio
I'm guessing that SimHQ will take the sensible route of waiting until the promised patches make the sim reviewable.

Any review at the moment would be debatable as to it's integrity either pro or con...

I hope not, or it could be years before Cliffs of Dover ever gets reviewed!

#3268703 - 04/13/11 02:13 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
Daveb123 Offline
Daveb123  Offline

Strange how a game or sim! is good enough to be released and sold but then its deemed unfit to be reviewed by so many reputable review sites/mags.....oh no we cant review COD just yet it wouldn't be a fair review and the game is still very much unplayable....yet teh game or sim if you prefer is still very much available for sale!....i just hope the patches keep making the game better and the mods keep coming....

Of one thing i can say the skirmishes over the channel are just amazing..the attention to teh water is awesome ..as is the sky and distance fogging etc...this along with the photographic quality of the flyable aircraft makes for some very jaw dropping moments...yes this sim has what it takes under the hood..if it can just be tweaked and patched to present some sort of enjoyable experience...right now the irritations far exceed the enjoyable moments for me..

#3268763 - 04/13/11 03:00 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Georgio]  
Davemetalhead Offline
Davemetalhead  Offline

Abingdon, Oxon.

That is not how it should be. The game HAS to be reviewed in it's release state, with whatever patches are currently available. Waiting a number of months for a potential patch before a site held in such esteem in the sim world such as SimHQ reviews it, is just plain wrong.

SimHQ should review the game as it is - warts and all. By all means, revisit the sim in a few months, years, decades and then re-review it, but they can't hold back just because it's not what we all wanted.

Oh, and that includes reviewing it WITHOUT any mods.

Part time poster
Full time lurker
#3268769 - 04/13/11 03:07 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
sascha Offline
sascha  Offline

Munich, Germany
Quote:
Strange how a game or sim! is good enough to be released and sold but then its deemed unfit to be reviewed by so many reputable review sites/mags.....oh no we cant review COD just yet it wouldn't be a fair review and the game is still very much unplayable....

Dave: Unreviewable doesn't have to mean "we won't review it because we don't want to be forced to give it a bad score". It can also mean: "This game is not playable even on our most high-end-rig at the office, thus we can't make any valid comments about its features, on its general behaviour or on the fun you could have with it."

If a car-mag was given a new car which had its engine missing, they couldn't review it either. They could comment on its looks, maybe on the comfort of its seat, but they wouldn't be able to actually use the car on the road or collect any meaningful data (mpg, top speed, braking, etc), thus making a professional review impossible.

One could argue of course that if a game is boxed and readily available on the shelf, a review should be mandatory. But if you can't actually play the darn thing as it was supposed to be played, what's the point? If I had to make that decision, I guess I'd include a short one-pager on the game with all the standards (shots, technical specs, etc) but I wouldn't give it a score/rating. I'd rather include a warning about the state the game is in, mention the fact that it *might* get fixed in the near future and, at least for the time being, would strongly discourage my readers from buying.

The bottom line is this: Not reviewing a game because of its bugged state and telling people just that is probably even worse than reviewing a game and giving it a bad score. There's nothing like a first impression, and most casual gamers will remember CoD for its troubled release and "unreviewable" status. And they'll still remember that even 12 months from now when it may be completely fixed.

S.

System: Asus P5Q-E - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300@ 2.5 GHz (currently @3.0 GHz) - Gigabyte GF GTX460 1GB OC - 2x2 GB OCZ DDR2-RAM - Samsung P2370 23'' - MS Sidewinder 2 FF (red trigger, baby!) - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 + Pro-Clip - Windows Vista 64 Home Premium
#3268843 - 04/13/11 04:36 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
Allen Online content
Hotshot
Allen  Online Content
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Used to be (starting back in the day of the hard-copy PC magazines and as the internet got rolling), flight sims were nearly all released with bugs.

They would be immediately reviewed and scored low.

Then, they would be fixed.

However, the damage was done and they lost money. Some very good sim developers went out of business. That was a loss for the sim community (a niche market with few developers).

Considering the health of the sim industry (only fair health), giving the developer time to release a couple patches (or at least a USA version) before review is responsible. The lack of review IS a warning to potential early buyers. But, the final reviews will be more indicative of the long term possibilities of the sim -- and, hopefully the truth at that time will not kill a product many would like to see continue forward.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#3268864 - 04/13/11 04:55 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Allen]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Allen
Used to be (starting back in the day of the hard-copy PC magazines and as the internet got rolling), flight sims were nearly all released with bugs.

They would be immediately reviewed and scored low.

Then, they would be fixed.

However, the damage was done and they lost money. Some very good sim developers went out of business. That was a loss for the sim community (a niche market with few developers).

Considering the health of the sim industry (only fair health), giving the developer time to release a couple patches (or at least a USA version) before review is responsible. The lack of review IS a warning to potential early buyers. But, the final reviews will be more indicative of the long term possibilities of the sim -- and, hopefully the truth at that time will not kill a product many would like to see continue forward.

+1

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3268880 - 04/13/11 05:04 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

SimHQ should do a 'preview' article now with some caveats - just to give fair info either way. There's a responsibility to the buyer as well as considering the health of the sim market. Knowing what you are getting is a useful service to provide and might actually help set people's expectations, which ultimately may help 1C.

Also, they should let me write it. I could currently fill five pages of jokes found through bitter experience and tear-filled eyes through hours of struggling to play - once the litigation and court case has been settled, I'm sure we'd all have a good laugh about it. reading

#3268952 - 04/13/11 05:50 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: 2005AD]  
Bounty Offline
Bounty  Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005AD

Oh crap I only agree with 2005AD (hangs head in shame lol) wink

Every man and his dog knows it was released too early but I think it should be reviewed at the time of the US version release.
Later than that and it would be fair for other players in the market.
Hopefully they are working on a half decent patch for then so that it can be reviewed without the 3rd party fixes.

Asus P6T Deluxe, i7 920@4ghz, H50 water cooler, 6Gb ddr3, X-Fi Fatality, 2x GTX580, 2x 120Gb SSD's + 2Tb HD's, 3x 27" 5760x1080,
TrackiR 5 + Pro Clip, Win7 64bit, 2x Thrustmaster MFD's, Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog #538

#3268981 - 04/13/11 06:10 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

SimHQ will review the shipping North American version which will be released at the end of April.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3269022 - 04/13/11 06:43 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
We haven't received review copies yet. I am not going to go out and purchase the game until the US version comes out. If we don't get review copies then we will purchase and review the game.

It will be done.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3285907 - 05/03/11 11:15 AM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
Dozer Offline
Dozer  Offline

You could write a very quick First Impressions review. "Il-2 CoD is unplayable on our present systems. We'll review it after the first dozen patches. See you soon!"

I haven't got CoD yet. My PC is a single-core 3ghz Pentium 4 with an AGP nVidia 7300GT. I don't have the cash to replace the motherboard, processor and graphics card at the same time. Or separately come to think of it. It was a bad decision to move to a house with 20% higher rent last year, with housemates who are very slow to pay me their share of the bills...

Dozer
#3285917 - 05/03/11 11:34 AM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
Originally Posted By: Dozer_EAF(T)
You could write a very quick First Impressions review. "Il-2 CoD is unplayable on our present systems. We'll review it after the first dozen patches. See you soon!"

What would be the point of that? Anyone that's going to read a Sim HQ review will have the where with all to go to the CoD forum and read more detailed versions of the same thing you just said Sim HQ should post.

Not really worth Tom's time is it?

(I didn't smell sarcasm, but it case you were being that.... well then, nevermind. LOL)

Last edited by knightgames; 05/03/11 11:35 AM.
#3286283 - 05/03/11 07:07 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: sascha]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: sascha
Can't speak for SimHQ, but in its current, unmodded, state, I'd call the game pretty much unreviewable. At least if you're choosing the logical approach of reviewing it on a system with recommended specs and without 3rd-party-mods installed.

S.

No game is "unreviewable" if it has been released and being sold to the public. Having said that, I have never heard of any

law that says a game has to be reviewed as soon as it has been released. Having said that, is a SimHQ review really that big

an influence on the buying market? I dont mean any disrespect asking that, I honestly dont know. Of course I will read the SimHQ

review because I read these forums. I am confident SimHQ will give a fair and balanced review whenever they are ready.

Last edited by commorange; 05/03/11 07:08 PM.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3286309 - 05/03/11 07:36 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: knightgames]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: knightgames

What would be the point of that? Anyone that's going to read a Sim HQ review will have the where with all to go to the CoD forum and read more detailed versions of the same thing you just said Sim HQ should post.

Not really worth Tom's time is it?

(I didn't smell sarcasm, but it case you were being that.... well then, nevermind. LOL)

A quick SimHQ review/first look on the US release date (not long now) would be better that scouring this forum for real info.

Forums are not really a great representation of a sim, in that you just get extreme views from both sides when feelings run strong. There are so many people bubbling with anger about IL2 or what they wanted SoW to be that I'd imagine most 'middle of the road' opinions would stay way away from here in fear of shrapnel.

The banana forum is tiresome because it's full of sycophantic gibberish and a draconian ban hammer, which makes this SimHQ COD forum a nicer place for people that have an axe to grind to hang out. You're more likely to see a negative COD bias here, basically because people like to moan and this is one place to do it unfettered. I'm sure people have genuine grievances, but people who don't probably can't be bothered to say 'meh, it's actually ok' as the same passion isn't there.

A review would give a fairer assessment.

#3286323 - 05/03/11 07:53 PM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: 2005AD]  
Beelzebub Offline
Beelzebub  Offline

Flanders
Originally Posted By: 2005AD

Lol , that's a laugh and naked reality in one sentence ;

If the site or person that reviews CoD takes care of customers rights and has honesty held high then they would do a review of stock CoD...

Waiting to review or to deliberatly not review because it's in a state of crap is very disturbing and even more fishy ...

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
SimHQ should do a 'preview' article now with some caveats - just to give fair info either way. There's a responsibility to the buyer as well as considering the health of the sim market. Knowing what you are getting is a useful service to provide and might actually help set people's expectations, which ultimately may help 1C.

Also, they should let me write it. I could currently fill five pages of jokes found through bitter experience and tear-filled eyes through hours of struggling to play - once the litigation and court case has been settled, I'm sure we'd all have a good laugh about it. reading

The end doesn't justify the means...

The responsibility to the buyer should be given maximum priority, and you can't get that with lies and shambled products.

The only way to obtain that priority and show at least some repect to potential customers is to do a stock CoD review without holding back because it might become good, or they are the last WW2 devs, or whatever...

Last edited by Beelzebub; 05/03/11 08:13 PM.

----------------------------------------------------------
Vlaanderen de leeuw ; 11/07/1302
#3286574 - 05/04/11 01:21 AM Re: SimHQ review for CoD? [Re: Dozer]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia

I haven't got CoD yet. My PC is a single-core 3ghz Pentium 4 with an AGP nVidia 7300GT. I don't have the cash to replace the motherboard, processor and graphics card at the same time. Or separately come to think of it. It was a bad decision to move to a house with 20% higher rent last year, with housemates who are very slow to pay me their share of the bills...

Why would they do that, and as you havent got CoD yet what makes you think it is unplayable, there are a lot of bugs and features that require implementing but it is certainly playable.

III/JG11_Tiger
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.