Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: Gunloon
Originally Posted By: Dart
X52Pro FTW.

Say, Dart, I've read the ad hype, but what do you think makes the Pro better? The thought's idly occurred to me to up mine from stock to Pro. The layout suits me as well as any device out there can, so if the Pro's that much better I'd give some serious consideration to switching at some point. A real user's opinion carries a lot more weight with me than an ad writer's description thumbsup

[MF] Gunloon

My comparison of the X52 versus the X52Pro, and CH Pedals versus Saitek pedals

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3265310 - 04/09/11 09:07 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Dart]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA

Good deal, I'd seen your original review but missed your take on the Pro. That confirms it, when it's feasible it looks like that'll be my new stick. Thanks!

=MFC=Gunloon

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
#3265365 - 04/09/11 10:08 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
Toadvine Offline
Toadvine  Offline

Seattle
I have a Thrustmaster T1600M. It is a good entry level stick for for someone wanting to get into flight sims without a premium outlay for a controller. Very smooth and very accurate, which is a huge help when time comes to get a bead on a target. Not loose or sloppy at all, very well constructed. Doesn't come with any software to install, just plug and play, it's that simple to get up and running. The only feature I miss is force feedback, but everything else about the stick's performance is so good I hate to let it go.... if Thrustmaster comes out with a FFB version of this stick I would jump on it.

#3265383 - 04/09/11 10:26 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Toadvine]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Toadvine
I have a Thrustmaster T1600M.

Good to know, thanks! Lately I've gotten 4 more people in or associated with my clan into ROF and they seem to be really enjoying themselves. Still as previous and current FPS players some are looking for a reasonably priced stick to use. My Australian friend picked one up for cheap, but when he proudly announced he was ready to get his copy of ICE running I had to rain on his parade and tell him he wasn't gonna be too happy flying with it since it had no provision for rudder control, and he's seen that for himself now, especially when attempting to use the Camel or Dr.I; as you can imagine, it's not very productive using the keyboard for rudder banghead

My Romanian clan mate has it worse, over there the selection of available sticks is limited and what there is tends to be very pricy...hopefully he'll get sorted at some point.

When asked, I tell folks I'm no fan of FFB sticks, but add the proviso that since they're the ones using a given device to make up their own minds. I really like my X-52 and it's a lot better than the Cyborg X I first got to fly with, but as I mentioned earlier, thanks to Dart's review I'll be looking to replace it with an X-52 Pro.

=MFC=Gunloon

Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

#3265417 - 04/09/11 11:12 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Gunloon]  
Laser Offline
Laser  Offline

My Romanian clan mate

=MFC=Gunloon

Hei cool, another Romanian in Rise of Flight ?! If it's not much trouble, could you or him shoot me a PM here, with his email? band

#3265434 - 04/09/11 11:39 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Laser]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Laser
Hei cool, another Romanian in Rise of Flight ?! If it's not much trouble, could you or him shoot me a PM here, with his email? band

Sure, it'd be good to get him in contact with someone more local. Appreciate the offer, I'll talk to him when I see him. Are you on Steam? There's the ROF group there, I've gotten with several members through it. Alternatively, look up [MFx] Constantin and add him as a friend, letting him know in the note that I suggested you talk with him. He still plays a lot of FPS and such about daily so he shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks!

=MFC=Gunloon

Last edited by Gunloon; 04/09/11 11:46 PM.

#3265495 - 04/10/11 01:22 AM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
R_Suppards Offline
R_Suppards  Offline

melb australia
I use a G940 set up. with FFB at lowest settings. I don't like the rudder pedals. As everyone says, they are too close together and the self centering drives me insane. The self centering is too positive and delicate rudder movement is difficult even though I have adjustment to minimum because it has to overcome that resistance. Other than that it is a good setup.

Do not be led into temptation. Find it for yourself
#3265527 - 04/10/11 02:07 AM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
Aside- this thread got me fired up, I'm planning to dig up the original boxes and sell my CH yoke and rudder pedals. They deserve a better home and I really can't use them, so assuming I can get a decent price I'll replace my X-52 with the Pro version, which should keep me going for many moons thumbsup

Then I can sell my stock X-52 for mad money for one of the fancy Italian tobacco pipes I've been salivating over...lol

=MFC=Gunloon

#3265531 - 04/10/11 02:16 AM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
Scoobe Offline
Scoobe  Offline

I use my trusty MSFFB2. Ill never part with until it dies!!

Rob

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
#3265897 - 04/10/11 01:52 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: RAF74_Winger]  
intramile Offline
intramile  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF74_Winger
I'm lucky enough to have a MS FFB2 joystick, I think it's pretty much the perfect stick for RoF - Though I've never tried the G940.

I had considered force feedback, but decided the old advice from Grand Prix Legends made sense: no way is force feedback going to replicate the stick forces in the real world, especially without the other physical motion cues you get in any vehicle, so I put my effort into learning precise stick control.

I have to admit I had my doubts too, but was delighted by the FF effects in RoF - much better than those in IL2. In fact I won't use the FFB2 in IL2 at all - for that I revert to my old X52 pro.

If I had a criticism it would be that the stall buffet is too low in frequency - the same (probably) goes for the flutter indications at high speeds. It is noticeable that the aerodynamic forces increase in steps rather than smoothly, but that is a limitation of the FF API I believe so no blame should be directed at NeoQB/777.

W.

Same here. MSFFB2 for Rof and an Saitek Evo without its driver loaded (no FFB then) for Il2. I have HSFX for IL2 and its superb, but the gun feedback is strong enough to ruin a good stick pretty quick, and oddily enough it is better withouh FFB. I've tried a few - I have 6 joysticks including 3 MSFFB2s. And each of the MSFFB2s feel a little different from each other from the day I bought them, all brand new.

RoF is especially good with a sensitive FFB stick - the planes feel right, they have lots of feeling and it suits the WW1 era.

#3266008 - 04/10/11 04:19 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
This has been a great thread. I have been using a stock X52 HOTAS. The throttle is great but I have a love/hate relationship with the stick. After reading the responses here I just went and bought a used CH Fighterstick USB on ebay (evidently only lightly used) for $50. I plan on using it along with the X52 throttle. Hopefully I will like that setup a little more.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#3266034 - 04/10/11 04:44 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Gunloon]  
Laser Offline
Laser  Offline

Originally Posted By: Laser

Sure, it'd be good to get him in contact with someone more local. Appreciate the offer, I'll talk to him when I see him. Are you on Steam? There's the ROF group there, I've gotten with several members through it. Alternatively, look up [MFx] Constantin and add him as a friend, letting him know in the note that I suggested you talk with him. He still plays a lot of FPS and such about daily so he shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks!

=MFC=Gunloon

Thanks, Gunloon, it's just to say "Hello" to him, i'm glad he plays this game wink

#3277522 - 04/22/11 11:17 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

MS SWFFB2 + TM Cougar throttle (Hall sensor + UTM) + TM RCS (Hall sensor).

I don't use the Cougar stick in RoF due to the FCC mod; it's almost completely unusable for me when it comes to old, twitchy warbirds like RoF's and IL-2's. (More suited to Falcon 4.0 than anything else.) Fortunately, it's not the sort of title where the SWFFB2's lack of buttons really hinders anything (unlike DCS:BS), and the FFB + sheer precision only give me benefits.

It also means I generally don't have to finagle with curves to "trim" planes like the S.E.5a...

#3277532 - 04/22/11 11:46 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Paul Rix]  
Gunloon Offline
Gunloon  Offline

Nashville, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
This has been a great thread. I have been using a stock X52 HOTAS. The throttle is great but I have a love/hate relationship with the stick. After reading the responses here I just went and bought a used CH Fighterstick USB on ebay (evidently only lightly used) for $50. I plan on using it along with the X52 throttle. Hopefully I will like that setup a little more.

I know that tastes are as individual as snowflakes...I entirely enjoy my X-52 stick. Enjoy your setup, if it works best for you, outstanding!

I just sold a couple of nice items that had been gathering dust in my garage on craigslist to generate some dough for a guilt free way to upgrade my setup to the X-52 Pro, thanks in part to Dart's detailed writeup. Unless I'm totally off base in my research, I expect to love it and you'll see my current stick up on eBay shortly biggrin

=MFC=Gunloon

#3277537 - 04/22/11 11:51 PM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
Cold_Flying Offline
6079 Smith
Cold_Flying  Offline
6079 Smith

Quebec, Canada
I use a MS FFB2 with a Saitek Cyborg stick as the throttle. For me, it's the best of both worlds. The MS FFB2 is the best stick I've ever had, and the Cyborg stick makes for a cheap, fun, and useful throttle; lots of buttons and switches, and at center rest the stick give 50% thrust - push for more, pull for les. Gives very fast and interactive speed control.

(My buddy bought a Saitek FFB stick and uses a Saitek Cyborg for his throttle as well. You won't find a cheaper and more effective HOTAS than that setup.)

I still haven't bought ROF, maybe this weekend, hopefully this setup with work.

Last edited by Cold_Flying; 04/22/11 11:53 PM.

Question everything!
#3277555 - 04/23/11 12:41 AM Re: What stick do you use? [Re: Warbirds]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
I use this:

Added a set of Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals a couple of weeks ago...SWEET!

Here is more detail:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3210783/Rollout_Simpit.html#Post3210783

F/A-18C Hornet cockpit build project:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=15.0
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.