Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3258886 - 04/04/11 06:22 AM Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed.  
Damocles Offline
Damocles  Offline

Inverness Scotland
I've not joined in the general hullabaloo about the various merits and demerits of CoD, because despite everything, I've waited ten years for it to arrive and it HAS to succeed, it's not as if there are loads of other WW II sims waiting in the background.

So with that said I have to confess that I am very disappointed with the Collectors Edition, not angry sad, just disappointed sad.

When it arrived it looked a pretty impressive box, I opened it up, it was nicely presented, the game, a ring bound manual, pilots notes and a cellophane wrapped map. On closer inspection however.

The worst offender, and the one thing that says everything I need to know, the map is utterly atrocious. I joked elsewhere that I was getting the version with the tea towel, well I was joking, Ubi wasn't. It's material would put a Hessian sandbag to shame, talk about rough. It isn't really edged so will (is) fraying. The printing though really takes the biscuit, bearing in mind it's very rough cloth, a tea towel would look distinctly regal in comparison, it's indistinct, blurred, names are badly positioned, it's even missing parts of names because the printing is so awful. To sum up, a complete waste of time, Ubi really just shouldn't have even bothered. A shiny paper map, with good printing and useful information would have been so much better, at least I might have been able to use it for some purpose other than wiping my bottom (don't you just love the rough stuff, takes me back to when I was errrrr, that enough Edit)

I can't comment on the ring bound manual, with the exception of a quick flick I haven't had a good look yet, but the Spitfire pilots notes, good grief. Again another example of poor shoddy lack of attention to detail production. I'll give them that it looks good at first glance BUT the profile on the front is not a Spit Mk 1 or 2 or even Vb, one of the pages has been printed twice, various spelling mistakes (granted they may have been in the original doc) and that's just to start. It just has all the signs of a really CHEAP job, I mean why oh why didn't they just have somebody from the flight sim/Il2 community proof read it, was it really that difficult ?????

So to sum up: The map is cheap and nasty (it gives cheap and nasty a bad name)

Poor quality control, proof reading and technical understanding of the subject material.

As might have been described at the time as a "Rather poor show, old boy"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3258894 - 04/04/11 06:41 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
Flit Offline
Flit  Offline

Auckland
What is the difference in price between the Collector's Ed and the standard?

#3258932 - 04/04/11 08:08 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
In the std edition you get...

1 - a disc
2 - a piece of paper with the serial number on it.

That's it.

It doesn't have anything at all over the digital version unless you like collecting games boxes.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3258938 - 04/04/11 08:18 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Chucky]  
Flit Offline
Flit  Offline

Auckland
Originally Posted By: Chucky
In the std edition you get...

1 - a disc
2 - a piece of paper with the serial number on it.

That's it.

It doesn't have anything at all over the digital version unless you like collecting games boxes.

...or unless one has a cap on their broadband.

#3258943 - 04/04/11 08:24 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Flit]  
WernerVoss Offline
WernerVoss  Offline

Originally Posted By: Flit
What is the difference in price between the Collector's Ed and the standard?

In the UK the standard edition is £30 or £35, the CE is £50. I'm so glad I resisted the (very minor) temptation.

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
#3258946 - 04/04/11 08:29 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Sorry Flit,I misread your question.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3259038 - 04/04/11 11:04 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
sascha Offline
sascha  Offline

Munich, Germany
Standard version in continental Europe: €50. CE: €70

What Werner said: Glad I resisted the minor temptation.

However: It's not like the content of the CE was a big secret prior to release. I distinctly remember a lenghty youtube-video with some russian guy unpacking the CE and showing all its contents (including the tea-towel). In fact: The video reassured me in my decision *not* to buy the CE ...

S.

System: Asus P5Q-E - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300@ 2.5 GHz (currently @3.0 GHz) - Gigabyte GF GTX460 1GB OC - 2x2 GB OCZ DDR2-RAM - Samsung P2370 23'' - MS Sidewinder 2 FF (red trigger, baby!) - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals - TrackIR 5 + Pro-Clip - Windows Vista 64 Home Premium
#3259044 - 04/04/11 11:12 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: Damocles
I've not joined in the general hullabaloo about the various merits and demerits of CoD, because despite everything, I've waited ten years for it to arrive and it HAS to succeed, it's not as if there are loads of other WW II sims waiting in the background.

So with that said I have to confess that I am very disappointed with the Collectors Edition, not angry sad, just disappointed sad.

When it arrived it looked a pretty impressive box, I opened it up, it was nicely presented, the game, a ring bound manual, pilots notes and a cellophane wrapped map. On closer inspection however.

The worst offender, and the one thing that says everything I need to know, the map is utterly atrocious. I joked elsewhere that I was getting the version with the tea towel, well I was joking, Ubi wasn't. It's material would put a Hessian sandbag to shame, talk about rough. It isn't really edged so will (is) fraying. The printing though really takes the biscuit, bearing in mind it's very rough cloth, a tea towel would look distinctly regal in comparison, it's indistinct, blurred, names are badly positioned, it's even missing parts of names because the printing is so awful. To sum up, a complete waste of time, Ubi really just shouldn't have even bothered. A shiny paper map, with good printing and useful information would have been so much better, at least I might have been able to use it for some purpose other than wiping my bottom (don't you just love the rough stuff, takes me back to when I was errrrr, that enough Edit)

I can't comment on the ring bound manual, with the exception of a quick flick I haven't had a good look yet, but the Spitfire pilots notes, good grief. Again another example of poor shoddy lack of attention to detail production. I'll give them that it looks good at first glance BUT the profile on the front is not a Spit Mk 1 or 2 or even Vb, one of the pages has been printed twice, various spelling mistakes (granted they may have been in the original doc) and that's just to start. It just has all the signs of a really CHEAP job, I mean why oh why didn't they just have somebody from the flight sim/Il2 community proof read it, was it really that difficult ?????

So to sum up: The map is cheap and nasty (it gives cheap and nasty a bad name)

Poor quality control, proof reading and technical understanding of the subject material.

As might have been described at the time as a "Rather poor show, old boy"

You have had the exact same experience as me Damocles, my tea towel was frayed to f*ck around the edges too, laughable material and printing quality as well as you say. The ring bound manual is fine. I think the spit handbook is too (not too bothered about the pic at the front, at least they got it right on the back lol). Have only read the Spit pilots notes start up procedure thus far, any syntax or spelling errors therein are the fault of Air Command/Council since its an exact replica.

You seem more bothered than me about the map. I expected a tea towel, and got one. Maybe a slightly better quality tea towel, but still. Worst thing is, you couldn't even wipe your arse with it out of contempt Damocles, the friction would be too much to bear. Think Johnny Cash's 'Burning ring of fire', or an ascetic Monks idea of loo roll. Not good. Smile2

But yes, a monumental waste of 58 quid altogether. Primary cause of this being the game itself actually (to date). But still, we endure. Looking forward to this weeks patch. Smile2

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3259156 - 04/04/11 01:08 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Biggles07]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
Think Johnny Cash's 'Burning ring of fire'...

I never understood the meaning behind that song... thanks for helping out wink

#3259162 - 04/04/11 01:15 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Personally I thought it was all great and well worth the extra £15/20 over other editions.

#3259167 - 04/04/11 01:22 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I ordered my CE from Amazon.de initially for 69€, later the price dropped to 66€, and last week I got a refund of 8.50€ because apparently the price got changed again, so in the end paid ~57.50€ for the CE. For that price I'm quite content with what I got.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3259170 - 04/04/11 01:24 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
First-Things-First Offline
First-Things-First  Offline

London, UK
I am afraid this was symptomatic of the lack of QA put into the final stages of this project.

On the tea towel Rochford is listed as "Sounthend" (could not even spell the modern name correctly banghead).

Saying that. I totally understand this was a smallish team (by other developers standards) and it seems they were under intense pressure to get this out the door - what with the delays and everything.

I am glad we got something.

#3259172 - 04/04/11 01:25 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: ]  

CT, USA
Originally Posted By: anon
Personally I thought it was all great and well worth the extra £15/20 over other editions.

Really? For a "map" that's not very legible and fraying right from the start? Is the manual just that good that it makes up for the other short comings? I was thinking of buying this version, if it ever appears on our shores but after reading this thread I'm doubting I will.

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3259186 - 04/04/11 01:43 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Hauschild Offline
Hauschild  Offline

Fliegerhorst Ladebow
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
I ordered my CE from Amazon.de initially for 69€, later the price dropped to 66€, and last week I got a refund of 8.50€ because apparently the price got changed again, so in the end paid ~57.50€ for the CE. For that price I'm quite content with what I got.

This is nuts... this morning the CE was only € 42 !! -- cheaper than the Standard which was 44 I believe. Now though it's all back to € 67/50. WTF?

Der Jäger stets am schönsten findet
Die Stellung, wo der Vorhalt schwindet.
#3259218 - 04/04/11 02:08 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: -Avatar-]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: -Avatar-
Originally Posted By: anon

Really? For a "map" that's not very legible and fraying right from the start? Is the manual just that good that it makes up for the other short comings? I was thinking of buying this version, if it ever appears on our shores but after reading this thread I'm doubting I will.

It's almost perfectly ligible (maybe three red names are hard to read) and reminds me very much of my Grandfathers maps from his time in the RAF as I do not recall them being of much better quality.

The ring bound manual is great and the Spitfire manual too, the whole box is very satisfying in my eyes.

#3259233 - 04/04/11 02:24 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Happy enough with mine have to say.. I wasn't expecting a silk map or anything, and seems legible enough to me.. I wouldn't go as far to say it's as bad as hesian or a sandbag, (and I've filled enough of them).
It's also easy enough to take a pair of scissors and trim the loose ends off if they really are spoiling your life..lol

#3259281 - 04/04/11 02:52 PM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  

CT, USA
Thanks for the added replies! I would like to get the CE but Damocles post made me hesitant.

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3261172 - 04/06/11 01:54 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: -Avatar-]  
BOBC Offline
BOBC  Offline

Just to mention, the box features a later war camouflage scheme of grey and green with later war roundels, not BoB at all so for thats sloppy to start with ! It left me dubious over the contents from just seeing that ! Claims of a Spitfire Mk1 pilots notes when there are none existing also made me wary. Also why a cloth map at all, cloth maps were escape maps, a later war thing (goes with the box cover though !), BoB pilots used paper maps that folded away into a brown card outer cover. There were also coverless ones. Both were stout paper with a coarse mesh linen backing. The CE side of things could have been handed over to a graphics bureau who were told to replicate the Spit ll pilots notes (available on ebay) or from Hendon, acquire and duplicate a South East England RAF Air Ministry map, (ebay or Hendon again) and create a box camo pattern that matched the aircraft in the sim. No time required for the guys and gals (are there any) working on the sim itself. This sim has traits of marketing claims and no substance in places, basic things like performance, accurate cockpits, tracer and engine sounds, flying kit and airfields should have been focused on over and above adding matadors and tanks to a landscape, things we wouldnt miss.

BOBC

Last edited by BOBC; 04/06/11 02:00 AM.
#3261330 - 04/06/11 05:54 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: Damocles]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
I think you guys are grossly overestimating how much Ubi cared about the CE. The idea was to get you to buy a higher profit margin CE, and to increase the "prestige" of the title in general. You bought it, so mission accomplished for ubi.

As a side note "frayed around the edges" is the best way to describe the current state of the software contained within said CE.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3261368 - 04/06/11 07:41 AM Re: Collectors Edition, just a bit disapointed. [Re: BOBC]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BOBC
Just to mention, the box features a later war camouflage scheme of grey and green with later war roundels, not BoB at all so for thats sloppy to start with !

It's not called BoB anymore wink
Quote:
It left me dubious over the contents from just seeing that ! Claims of a Spitfire Mk1 pilots notes when there are none existing also made me wary. Also why a cloth map at all, cloth maps were escape maps, a later war thing (goes with the box cover though !), BoB pilots used paper maps that folded away into a brown card outer cover.

It quite clearly states it's a replica escape map, not sure why you were expecting anything other than what you got.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.