Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#325749 - 10/01/06 12:30 PM Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way...  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Quote:
For instance I would need access to the latest 1.7.1 version on the CVS, which has the last changes made by arneh to the MP code...So far, I was only able to access version 1.6.1, I think, under the folder "eech-new". Can anyone please tell me how to access newer versions?...
The latest code is what you get if you do a clean cvs checkout. Or do a CVS update on your existing code. This is in fact newer than 1.7.1, as there have been some changes since then.

If you want to get the exact code used for release 1.7, you can checkout the code tagged as "eech-1_7". I didn't tag 1.7.1 since there only was a single line of code changed from 1.7, but I'll tag 1.7.2 when it's released.

Quote:
Quote:
However, much of the game mechanics stays local, which often gives unpredictable results (infamous entity desynchronization problems, especially downwash).
Yeah!.. But I figured that, for a client/server topology it is ok to have a centralized game processing.. As long as clients keep getting updated, of course!...
I don't really know multiplayer programming. But I would assume it would be best for the physics for each players own helicopter to be done locally, so as to make sure it's not sluggish (as having to wait for the server to respons is, even if it's only fractions of a second).

And you probably want to do some prediction of other units done locally as well. Otherwise the game will appear jerky since server updates are much slower and more infrequent than the framerate.

#325751 - 10/02/06 02:55 AM Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way...  
Kahzul_FKA_xapt3r5 Offline
Kahzul_FKA_xapt3r5  Offline

Entroncamento, Portugal
Sorry kim!..links are either poor or dead! ...thanks anyway!

I think I'll send that guy a PM questioning him about that LAN session...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _____________________ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

My first combat helo sim was good ol' MS-DOS Gunship 2000!...
#325752 - 10/02/06 04:06 AM Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way...  
Dusty Rhodes Offline
Hard, Fair, Play to WIN
Dusty Rhodes  Offline
Hard, Fair, Play to WIN

Southern Oregon
Was Crash, Griff, and I that did the LAN and it was pretty darn good. Not flawless, as I remember, but pretty freekin' good.

Griff, Kosmo, and I did a LAN in Salt Lake City last weekend and it behaved pretty darn good. There were some anamolies but for the most part LAN was pretty solid. Griff could give a better run down and I'll forward this thread for him to document it a bit more.

If you have any questions, let us know.

Dusty Rhodes

Fight Fair! Fight to have fun! Fight to WIN!

Win 7 Pro, Intel i7 4790K OC'd to 4.6 Gigs, EVGA GTX Titan 6 GB Memory and ASUS GTX Titan 6 GB Memory, 32 Gigs Tri Channel Ballistix RAM, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and HOTAS Cougar, TrackIR 5, Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals
#325753 - 10/02/06 06:51 AM Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way...  
Griff Offline
Griff  Offline

CA, USA
Okay, I'll try to provide as much information as possible about our LAN meets. I apologize about the links no longer working but we decided to take down the web page since Dusty and I are the only ones flying anymore. The Buddyboys might resurface in the future but who knows. I have the word document from our debrief but it has no screenshots and there was no "technical" information from the LAN. I have located the original thread that we used during that particular LAN meet and discussion regarding the "CVC setting."

Find it here

Now, from what I can remember. We have dedicated three LAN meets to EECH as well as one complete campaign via the Internet. I must say that overall, each campaign was a success. I can't recall which version was available for each campaign other than the lastest success was with 1.7.1.

Our first LAN meet dedicated to EECH took place in February of 2005 and the main glitch that appeared was the "entity already in use" problem. The above thread discusses that and the problem went away with some .ini changes I believe to the client computers. And of course, the saved campaign was corrupted and we could not use it.

Dusty, Kosmo, and I flew a dedicated LAN in September of 2005 and if I recall, we flew two complete campaigns with little problems. We lost one saved file in a campaign and if I recall, it was possible the "autosave feature" was causing it. Overall, we had a blast and it proved to be quite stable.

And finally, Dusty and I visited Kosmo in Salt Lake City, Utah last weekend and flew EECH for one complete campaign. We flew the Alexander Archipelago map (Dusty, you happy with the spelling?) and it took us 8-10 hours to complete it. We had some initial problems with connecting with Kosmo as a client and me the host but that was an internal network problem and not with EECH (at least we are pretty sure based on other problems that developed). We had two "black screen" issues that caused the host's computer screen to go black. The host had to restart his computer in order to rectify the problem. I am pretty sure that it was related to the autosave feature. I cannot be certain but that seemed to be the likely culprit based on the position that the campaign was saved when we restarted it. Also, I think Dusty saw the "entity in use" error one time.

Other than that, we had a blast and using the campaign commander certainly helps. I did cause Dusty's computer to CTD one time immediately after I canceled a generated mission using the campaign commander but that was not a big deal.

We haven't flown EECH via the Internet lately due to variations in our schedules. But, I'm hoping to whoop it up again soon. I can safely say that based on our experience, EECH is a stable platform in a LAN environment. There are some glitches and they will likely pop-up during the sessions but overall, it provides plenty of hours of flying!

Griff's Rig: Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 Ghz, MSI Z97 MPower Max motherboard, nVidia GTX 780ti, 16 GB of Geil Trident 2400 MHz RAM, Windows 7, Warthog HOTAS, and Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.
#325755 - 10/02/06 04:36 PM Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way...  
Jabberwock Offline
Jabberwock  Offline

Poznan, Poland
Most of the changes I did were pure trial and error, as I had not enough background on MP programming. In fact, I had no intention to do it at all - I just made a small change at Moje's request (blame him ;\) ) and then it went on trying and checking for about a year.

However, I never got really deep - I was mostly interested in establishing connections and communication errors, as that was where most problems occurred then.

As for the MP architecture, it is a major design decision. Arne is quite correct in saying that leaving all physics to the server might still be too slow. On the other hand, calculating physics by clients (as it is done now) might lead to situations where two or more "physical worlds" would be quite different (i.e. desynchronization).

I really do not know what the best option might be...

#325756 - 10/27/06 12:07 AM Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way...  
Sleepdoc Offline
Sleepdoc  Offline

Denver, St thomas, St petersbu...
hmm.....

Following closely....

Sleepdoc

Sleepdoc

My typos are legendary. I choose not to correct them as a form of unique signature.
#325757 - 10/27/06 10:31 AM Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way...  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

Enschede, The Netherlands
just being cautious but could any new code to the MP be made optional or at least a separate development so that we have an unbroken version of the code...?
Maybe start a separate thread (or whatever its called) in the CVS?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.