Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3254733 - 04/01/11 07:24 AM polish vs potential  
digger52 Offline
digger52  Offline

some observations and musing from first day and a half of COD.

Have installed on desktop, vista, quad core Q9550, 4 gig ram and most importantly 480 gtx

Also installed on an Asus G73J, windows 64 bit, 8 gig ram, 5870m ati

to run any air battle with more than a few planes I have had to drop the resolution down dramatically.For the 480GTX, dropped down to 1440 x 900 , all settings medium. The benchmark is the instant mission where as a group of hurricanes you get to kick some Ju87's up the butt.All other flight sims, I can run at 1980 x 1200 , extreme settings
Interestingly still looks great at the lower resolution until we approach land whilst chasing. Looks worse that rise of flight when very first released. Something amiss here, tried using nvidia control panel put it wont recognize the exe and thinks its LOMAC instead. Wonder what Nvidia drivers they tested on as Im using the latest Windows tested drivers, 266.58. Its as if anistropic filtering isnt working.I am not changing drivers for 1 game when the rest run fantastically.

Guess for the time being i'll have to fight over the channel, water looks fab.

On the laptop, the game looks better, still with much lower resolution, however it staggers all over the place and air to air combat is a waste of time as , as soon as I fire , staggers like a drunk
On the same laptop, DCS Warthog looks a treat and no slow down when firing its big@#$% cannon on maximum settings

For both PC's, have epilepsy filter off

So where to from here.

Most games, sims have launched with problems recently even Civ 5 and Shogun 2 however they have big development teams behind them and problems being eliminated quickly. is the same possible here? The sim has fantastic potential and its as if they have built an "engine" that can be used for ground, sea and air warefare. However if the engine is running on 3 cylinders, when you drive it home from the salesroom, you take it straight back to the garage.

Am I glad I bought it? Yes definitely, as I can see what is possible, I want to see expansions where we can fly in North Africa, Typhoons over normandy, mossies on ship strikes etc.
Am I worried? Yes as well as the problems I and many, many people are experiencing could damage the "brand". Can the developers get on top of the problems? If they can quickly, then I think we will be in a positive position. Unfortunately it is down to them and how we can feedback postively.

Before I get jumped on that i dont know how to set up my system, or my system isnt up to it, or some other infered issue,I have FSX, with REX ,Lomac, Lomac 2, DCS Blackshark, Warthog, Strikefighters ( all variants), Rise of Flight , and yes for fun I have Wings of Prey ( fun can come in many ways). Also Theatre of war series, company of heroes, Total War series etc and they all work , smooth as silk in the max resolution with max settings.

So there is something strange going on, is it software to driver issue, as COD should run much better when I look at the models, landscape, sky etc.

I an hoping it turns out to be something simple because I cant believe anyone would launch knowingly in such a condition. Did the last minute changes due to the filter actually break something else? That is what i'm hoping for as it would be impossible to even test more than 10 planes in an air battle in its current condition.

I am staying optimistic, as I have seen broken product before that turns into gold.

Lets hope so here, oh well off to have a beer cheers

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3254761 - 04/01/11 07:50 AM Re: polish vs potential [Re: digger52]  
WernerVoss Offline
WernerVoss  Offline

First assumption would be all the trees and buildings, but I've tried it with zero trees and lowest settings on buildings, and while it's better in FPS it still jerks and stutters (FPS appears to be irrelevant). I did notice that after bailing out and watching the 'chutist everything became silky smooth. I tried the same experiment with everything cranked up and didn't get the same results though (was rough again).

I have to wonder if a 64-bit .exe will make a fundamental difference, in that more textures will be able to go into RAM. But then again, I'm running from an SSD, so one would like to think it's not a texture issue at all. And having seen a couple of highly detailed on-the-fly monitoring programs it appears there is something odd going on with the use of hardware...the CPU and multiple cores being seriously under-used while the GPU and VRAM are being caned senseless.

I have to repeat that from intuitive experiences with a very high number of other games, particularly RoF and WoP, I can see no reason why CoD shouldn't run smooth over land on even mid-range machines with settings adjusted appropriately. But having seen the pop-up grid I do worry that's it's nothing more complicated than the devs using extremely old software technology for the terrain engine, and I'm not sure if that's actually fixable.

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.