Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3249935 - 03/28/11 11:37 PM Think my Cougar's finally circling the drain...  
UncleReiben Offline
UncleReiben  Offline

but after ~9 years of use, I'm going to try everything necessary to keep it alive...

So here's what's going on...

a couple of months ago I got the error saying the cougar wasn't connected once the computer booted... which was odd, but OK... replugged the USB and it was detected but it said there was no firmware detected. (this was after many previous months of normal use with no changes to hardware/software prior to the problems)

so I flashed the firmware and everything was pretty much fine... everything functioned as it should... but subsequently every time I booted or rebooted the computer, the same thing would happen... "Device not connected" followed by "no firmware detected"

Thinking corrupted firmware may be the issue, I went through the HOTAS cleanse in Foxy and did full uninstalls/reinstalls of everything but the problem persisted.

so I set the coug aside for a month or two because, despite this new inconvenience, it still worked fine in the end.

but last night I tried to get it up and running again with the same firmware issues apparently lingering, but with the added PITA of none of the buttons on the stick working... all axes and throttle buttons work fine, but the stick buttons won't respond at all

so i went though the same crap all over again, erasing firmware, full uninstall/reinstalls... after that I resorted to my favorite passtime, tearing the cougar apart... after fiddling with it a bit I found that when I detach the stick handle from the base and touch the protruding contacts from the J4 PCB plug underneath the stick base's circuit board, all the stick buttons in the viewer light up (save the main hat) sometimes the same thing happened when not touching anything but moving the gimbal base around. When I attach the stick handle and touch the contacts, nothing happens except when I pull the trigger, at which point all buttons light up like they did with the handle detached.

So I worked that angle for a while, trying to find a combination of fiddling that would yield proper function so I could isolate the problem... but I couldn't get anywhere. I've visually and physically inspected all wiring and plugs in the stick base and the stick handle with nothing apparently out of place... which disappointed me because that'd been an easy fix.

Would've been good to cry to Cougar World about this but I dunno if they set up shop anywhere else... but if anyone here has any input, it'd be greatly appreciated.

The existing issues are
- non-detection on boot/ occasionally after flashing firmware
- firmware not detected on nearly every boot
- stick buttons completely non-functional (while all axes and throttle buttons work fine)

Cheers,

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3251801 - 03/30/11 01:13 PM Re: Think my Cougar's finally circling the drain... [Re: UncleReiben]  
petherf Offline
petherf  Offline

You proberly get some answer here otherwise you can try at http://frugalsrefugees.yuku.com/ Thera are the "Old guys" hanging out! IJ, Cubpilot mm

#3251904 - 03/30/11 02:41 PM Re: Think my Cougar's finally circling the drain... [Re: UncleReiben]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439

#3251931 - 03/30/11 03:02 PM Re: Think my Cougar's finally circling the drain... [Re: UncleReiben]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

If none of the suggested sites help you you could consider a "Brain transplant" by using a BU0836a you will lose the programmability but at least you will still have a good working HOTAS system.

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3255453 - 04/01/11 04:07 PM Re: Think my Cougar's finally circling the drain... [Re: Bluedeath]  
petherf Offline
petherf  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bluedeath
If none of the suggested sites help you you could consider a "Brain transplant" by using a BU0836a you will lose the programmability but at least you will still have a good working HOTAS system.

At least you can put in a link in your post so we know what you mean!

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836A/ copter

#3257757 - 04/03/11 07:49 AM Re: Think my Cougar's finally circling the drain... [Re: UncleReiben]  
UncleReiben Offline
UncleReiben  Offline

Thanks for the input guys...

I was over at cougar world but everything there was pretty outdated so I left it behind...

didn't know about frugals refugees though... will try there when I get the chance...

cheers,

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.