Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3248803 - 03/28/11 04:10 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. ***** [Re: Tree]  
J_Bullfrog Offline
J_Bullfrog  Offline

Looking at the Task Manager results from TX-Gunslinger I would say the probability is that there IS multi-threading going on.

1) All 4 CPU cores appear to increase in usage at the same time .... I suspect all from the time the game started up.
2) The overall CPU usage is significantly higher than 25%. This suggests more than 1 thread running .
3) When a singe thread program is run on multiple cores it is (usually)swapped between all the cores during succesive game frames, so that all the cores usually display about the same amount of usage. We dont see this.

It is true that we can not currently be 100% certain one way or the other, but from that screen grab, there is a higher probability that there is multi-threading going on.

Regards Bullfrog (x-sydbod)

Jeremiah was a bullfrog, was a good friend of mine.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3248831 - 03/28/11 05:07 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: J_Bullfrog]  
Hauschild Offline
Hauschild  Offline

Fliegerhorst Ladebow
Originally Posted By: J_Bullfrog
Looking at the Task Manager results from TX-Gunslinger I would say the probability is that there IS multi-threading going on.

1) All 4 CPU cores appear to increase in usage at the same time .... I suspect all from the time the game started up.
2) The overall CPU usage is significantly higher than 25%. This suggests more than 1 thread running .
3) When a singe thread program is run on multiple cores it is (usually)swapped between all the cores during succesive game frames, so that all the cores usually display about the same amount of usage. We dont see this.

It is true that we can not currently be 100% certain one way or the other, but from that screen grab, there is a higher probability that there is multi-threading going on.

You must be looking at a different picture then, to me 30% utilization on a 4-core system indicates it's single-threaded. To take advantage of multi-core architectures in a meaningful way games engines need to be designed with that goal in mind from the outset. Same goes for DX10/11 for graphics by the way. Tacking on certain features as an afterthought can produce nice results in some isolated cases but will never be as effective. Don't mean to sound negative but barring a major rewrite I don't think much is going to change performance wise on that front and all we can hope for is ever more powerful hardware - higher IPC and clock frequencies.

With the original Il2 we got lucky. If you look at this chart http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/cpu_frequency.gif you can see that CPU clocks on average TRIPPLED between 2001 and 2005. I wouldn't expect the same thing to happen ever again.

I have decided that my years of spending obscene amounts of money on hardware upgrades are finally over. I'll still enjoy the pretty pictures nd videos. Maybe in a couple of years when the series has matured and progessed to inlcude more planes and scenarios and laptops can comfortably play the game (haha, right) I'll look into it again. Speaking of which, it would be nice if we had a downloadable demo. biggrin

Der Jäger stets am schönsten findet
Die Stellung, wo der Vorhalt schwindet.
#3248840 - 03/28/11 05:26 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Hauschild]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hauschild
Originally Posted By: J_Bullfrog

You must be looking at a different picture then, to me 30% utilization on a 4-core system indicates it's single-threaded. To take advantage of multi-core architectures in a meaningful way games engines need to be designed with that goal in mind from the outset. Same goes for DX10/11 for graphics by the way. Tacking on certain features as an afterthought can produce nice results in some isolated cases but will never be as effective. Don't mean to sound negative but barring a major rewrite I don't think much is going to change performance wise on that front and all we can hope for is ever more powerful hardware - higher IPC and clock frequencies.

With the original Il2 we got lucky. If you look at this chart http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/cpu_frequency.gif you can see that CPU clocks on average TRIPPLED between 2001 and 2005. I wouldn't expect the same thing to happen ever again.

I have decided that my years of spending obscene amounts of money on hardware upgrades are finally over. I'll still enjoy the pretty pictures nd videos. Maybe in a couple of years when the series has matured and progessed to inlcude more planes and scenarios and laptops can comfortably play the game (haha, right) I'll look into it again. Speaking of which, it would be nice if we had a downloadable demo. biggrin

A single-threaded application has its execution path on a single thread. A thread cannot span cores, it's a logical construct of containment. Which is a long way of saying that a single-threaded application does not use multiple cores. COD may be un-optimized, slow or unfinished but it's a multi-threaded app with its image process affinity mask set to allow threads to start on separate physical cores.

You wrote other stuff, but best to get the basics right before we talk about all that smile

#3248856 - 03/28/11 06:08 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
I think I remember Oleg stating that the sim is only partially multithreaded. It sounded from his statement that was far less than 50%, which could bare out in Guns screenshot. You would have thought having the sim fully multithreaded would have been a much better idea, but I don't now how hard it is break the code into multiple threads then bring it back together is a stutter free coherent matter.

Not sure about multigpu support as I think thats more an Nvidia, AMD driver issue.

Open GL went thru a long dry period with few upgrades and I suppose Maddox Games decide to go the DX10-DX11 route and are experiencing DX 11 API issues in the manor they are trying to implement it in their sim.

Do I think the game engine is old...NO....but it is definitely having teething problems.

If in the end Maddox games can get all the very complex features optimized into a stutter free, sim, then I would say they've done a great job, however old the game engine is. I'm not a technical expert and have no idea how long it will take, but this isn't a Microsoft sim where the developer diappears after release.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3248863 - 03/28/11 06:24 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
TX-Gunslinger Offline
TX-Gunslinger  Offline

Austin, TX
Ok - I don't want to (but of course you guys can) spend any more time on the Multi-Core issue - I admitted my mistake in observation. In fact to reiterate - I observed almost identical behavior on Il2 today - I just didn't post a screen shot because as soon as I ran it I went "ok - I get it".

What you will be interested in, I think is that I found some better config.ini settings, namely turning off "DynamicLight = 0" from adonys over at the Bananna forums CoD settings by adonys.

Frames are much better. Basically, like every other sim I know - sometimes the most obvious settings are not the ones that cause the largest performance hit. Anyway - for met it's not too bad at 1920 X 1200 2X AA - Adaptive Multi-Sample AA.

Frames in the 45 - 65 regions with a few planes in visual range.

S!

Gunny

The rotary could not re-circulate oil,so it had to dump it out onto the airframe. Castor oil, consequently, covered the entire aircraft after a short time. Even worse, atomized caster oil blew into the cockpit and impregnated the pilot. Pilots needed scarves to clean their goggles and faces. Since castor oil is a laxative, pilots suffered serious consequences after a few hours of flight. But such was the need for maximum power

http://www.txsquadron.com/forum/index.php
#3248880 - 03/28/11 07:11 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
TX-Gunslinger Offline
TX-Gunslinger  Offline

Austin, TX
Ok, now this post deserves a space of it's own with out technical stuff.

Want to know how the FM is - a little more?

So I took the E3 out some more against Defiants tonight in choppy early morning weather off of Dover. Look, I spent 14 years in the Navy - 35 years going to see on Navy ships and of course flying onto carriers in C2's, destroyers in Sh-2's/SH-60's etc....

This is the coolest rendition of the sea in chop I've ever experienced on a computer - it's the visuals and the air (turbulence) smile

The most fun thing I've done yet is dogfight in Hurri's and G50's against each other. The G50 and Hurris' are a handful in full-real. The gunsights have to be seen to be believed. In the early morning sun over whitecaps, you struggle to get the reflection off the reticle (you can see both the projection on the bevel and of course the reflection on the glass).

I was just fighting Hurris and every time I came around with the sun wrong - at my rear quarters - the sunlight dimmed the reticle so much I had to struggle to both find it with my head in 6 DOF and strain to see it as it dimmed! Now I don't have my reticle dimmer mapped yet - so, so many controls - and I surely don't know yet where the knob is in the G50 cockpit. I'm trying not to become Hurrican fodder - which took over all my notions of "testing" btw. I felt as if the sea spray was going to wet my face at times - I wear glasses and if you've ever been to sea with glasses you know how irritating it is.

Yes the instruments are not functioning in the G50. It's a bug. But they are the most gorgeous non-functing instruments I've ever seen smile I saw a few posts today in other forums which were like "See, I told you this thing sucks - the G50 instruments don't work". Yeah, that pretty much ruins it. Forsure that can't be fixed in a few hours. It's all over now. 8 years down the drain.

Anyone that thinks this is a mod-Il2 - has of course not flown it yet. Or if they have, they've clearly been flying on arcade settings. Flying this one without TrackIR is a sin.

Up close aft of the Hurri - it's so hard to line up - sort of like ROF - but smoother. The 6 DOF and pilot positions in cockpit are superior to what we have in ROF at this time. Hands down.

The feel-of-flight is staggering - the immersiveness made me forget about everything I thought to test when I started the scenario. Stick and rudder feels more complex but not artifical.

If you don't watch your trim - and don't have great stick and rudder skills - your 109E3 will have a hard time catching a Defiant.

Last great thing I noticed today is the spotty turbulence. At some altitudes you pass through, it will just shake your brains out. Dials jumping up and down - view shaking. Now ROF has pretty awesome turbulence - but the fluid-mechanics in this sim have to be experienced to be believed.

I dont' know exactly how the turbulence is implemented. Maybe it's altitude dependent - in layers. I'm starting to suspect that it might be range/altitude dependent however - as I seem to keep encountering it in patches. I pretty sure what I'm experiencing is not flutter as I was trimmed in yaw and diving when I hit the worst of it. Only more flying will tell.

While everyone wants to know every little detail of this sim and how it's put together before they experience it - I believe that Oleg has wisely kept somethings back. Like a great movie. If you know everything, the fascination of what your experiencing is dampened.

In 2002, I picked up this sim (Il2) in a store without knowing about forums and the flight sim community. I did know a bit about combat related flight in WW2. I purchased CFS3 the same day. I played with CFS for a few weeks before I installed and played Il2.

I remember being overwhelmed by the "feel of flight" in that sim and after weeks - never spent any time with CFS3 again.

That's exactly what I feel like tonight, writing this. I don't see how anyone who gives this product a good chance - will run back to Il2, even with the mods and not feel like they are returning to a small black and white TV after they have left a 50 inch 1080p, 120Hz monitor.

It's that simple for me.

But then I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm just telling friends of my experience - my feelings as I flew this today. It's an emotional thing surely. What a piece of software to elicit those types of emotion.

Man, you guys are going to have a ball with this baby once the kinks are ironed out.

S!

Gunny

The rotary could not re-circulate oil,so it had to dump it out onto the airframe. Castor oil, consequently, covered the entire aircraft after a short time. Even worse, atomized caster oil blew into the cockpit and impregnated the pilot. Pilots needed scarves to clean their goggles and faces. Since castor oil is a laxative, pilots suffered serious consequences after a few hours of flight. But such was the need for maximum power

#3248881 - 03/28/11 07:11 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
Koala Offline
Koala  Offline

Wollongong the Brave!
What does DynamicLight = 1 kill off in terms of visual effects - those beautiful cockpit shadows?

Edit:OMG Gunny you're killing me! I just read what you posted when I was asking the above question.

The feel-of-flight is staggering - the immersiveness made me forget about everything

That's just sadistic wink Roll on Friday!

Last edited by Koala; 03/28/11 07:19 AM.
#3248883 - 03/28/11 07:15 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Koala]  
TX-Gunslinger Offline
TX-Gunslinger  Offline

Austin, TX
No, in fact I didn't notice anything different even though I looked. I suspect it's an explosive or transient effect.

I admit. I'm weak. I keep going in looking for all these little details and then get sucked into the damn thing. You notice a lot when the shadows are turned off, but that's a seperate setting.

Let me post the config.ini here again....

S!

Gunny

#3248884 - 03/28/11 07:15 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
TX-Gunslinger Offline
TX-Gunslinger  Offline

Austin, TX
[BOB]
AntiEpilepcy = 0
[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8
DrawIfNotFocused=0
SaveAspect=0
Render=D3D10_0
width=1440
height=900
ColourBits=32
FullScreen=1
ChangeScreenRes=1

[NET]
speed=100000
localPort=27015
serverName=My Server
serverDescription=IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
serverInfo1=
serverInfo2=
serverInfo3=
serverInfo4=
VAC=1
maxPlayers=16
socksEnable=0
socksHost=
socksPort=1080
socksUser=
socksPwd=
localHost=

[Console]
IP=20001
UseStartLog=1
WRAP=1
PAUSE=1
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
PAGE=20
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOGFILE=log.txt
LOGKEEP=0

[rts]
tickLen=30
;ProcessAffinityMask=2
maxTimerTicksInRealTick=20
; 0 - not use, 1 - show cursor and not capture, 2 - not show cursor, and capture
mouseUse=2
; 0 - not use, 1 - use if hardware exist
joyUse=1
; 0 - not use, 1 - use if hardware exist
trackIRUse=1
DisableIME=0
culture=en-GB

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
SensitivityZ=1.0
Invert=0
SwapButtons = 0

[rts_joystick]
FF=1

[core]
RandSeed = 0
TexQual=3
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
Shadows=0
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=0
MeshDetail=2
LandShading=0
LandDetails=1
Sky=3
Forest=1
VisibilityDistance=3
LandGeom=2
DrawCollisions=1
Water=-1
Effects=1
EffFlags.Light=1
EffFlags.SpriteRender=0
Grass=-1
CordEffect=1
UseFog=0
UseLandCube=1
UseLandConnectedObject=1
LinearObjectManager=1
Roads=-1
Sun=1
Clouds=1
EffFlags.LightSpritesProj=1
ShadowMapSize=4
TexFlags.AsyncLoad=1
TexFlags.ShowTexture=0
SimpleMesh.SWTransform=0
SimpleMesh.QuadTreeClip=1
SimpleMesh.InstancingHW=1
EffFlags.LightContextSprites=1
CloudsFlags.Detailed=1
TexFlags.CreateHDR=1
Decals=2
EffFlags.SWLight=0
TexFlags.CockpitOnePass=0
MegaTexture=0
TexFlags.Reflection=0
RenderTargetQual=3
MSAA=2
MeshStatics=1
MeshStaticsDetail=1
SimpleMesh.QTNoCompose=0
MeshFirstLod=0
MeshShowLod=0
SpawnHumans=0
TexFlags.FastTransparency=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
DebugSound=0
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=1
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=14
ObjectVolume=7
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=0
SamplingRate=0
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=1
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=1
SoundExt.volumefx=1
SoundFlags.voicemgr=1
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=8
Channels=1
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.8
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=1
ActLevel=9
MicLevel=10
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0
speakers=1

#3248888 - 03/28/11 07:23 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: 88Buzzsaw88]  
Tree Offline
Tree  Offline

Derby, England
Originally Posted By: 88Buzzsaw88
Originally Posted By: Tree
We have seen no evidence of Multicore support, we have no 64bit, we have no SLI/Crossfire and the game only uses 2GB of ram. Do you guys still think this is an entire new engine or could it be that Oleg's concept of a whole new game engine was to take away OpenGL and include DX10? I ask this because I cannot believe that in late 2007 a whole new game engine was created and they overlooked multicore support and 64bit technology and SLI/Crossfire, I have always said that the game engine is too old, Im beginning to believe I was right.

Once again, on another forum, Tree is doing all he can to be negative about this game.

What exactly is your point Tree?

Are you being paid to be completely destructive? Do you really get a thrill out of being the most negative person on these forums?

Instead of doing all you can to tear down this game with meaningless negativity, why don't you suggest some constructive response?

Yes, it seems the game is only using one core of any given processor, obviously there needs to be some work done.

And if you put your point in a positive way, without all the personal attacks, then maybe something useful might result from your comments.

People here ARE a little disappointed at the fact the game is not exactly in the best state of optimization, but it is clear there is a lot of potential, and given Oleg's track record, why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

Where else are we going to get the next gen flight sim?

There is only one group of people who are going to improve on the current state of CLIFFS OF DOVER, that is Oleg and his development team.

And attacking them personally and smearing the game is not going to increase the chances they will be able to deal with the issues.

If you are not willing to moderate your tone and post constructively, what's the point?

If you are just here to indulge your ego and your vindicativeness, you might as well give it up, no one really is interested in that kind of feedback.

Earth calling Buzzsaw - Keep up mate, Oleg as gone.

#3248890 - 03/28/11 07:28 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
Deltahawkoz2004 Offline
Deltahawkoz2004  Offline

Ozzie
Aaagh,now we are getting some REAL information. Nothing new of course. I am a sometime jet simmer, I can remember when LOMAC came out. Oh, the humanity! Or when Falcon 4 came out. And so it goes. Why is it people on these forums just cant sit back and go, hmmmmm, that could do with a bit of work, or the like. Or are we all such an emotional lot when it comes down to it. Yeah, feeling of flight, now thats what grabs me. Floats my boat!

The lurker formerly known as Deltahawk and Deltahawk53
#3248891 - 03/28/11 07:30 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
TX-Gunslinger Offline
TX-Gunslinger  Offline

Austin, TX
One of the biggest challenges I have is developing my Warthog+Cougar target mapping for this.

There are so many new and different commands for Il2. What you'll see below is that I've the UserConfig file open on the left, TARGET script editor with CoD macro file in the middle and an Excel spreadsheet where I've imported all the UserConfig commands.

As I use TrackIR and not HAT for view - I have a lot of commands that are default that I can just delete to make way for more macros. Those are highlighted in yellow in the excel spreadsheet. The blue text represents defaults that I've changed, so that if I distribute my TARGET script to folks, I can easily document what changed from default to ease their implementation.

In summary, this is what my poor weak mind has to do - just to organize smile

It's going to take you a bit to come to grips with this. I thought I'd just reuse my Il2 scripts - but there are many new things here so that won't wash. I think also that people are going to find a happy balance between mapping to the buttons - and using the clickables with mouse in some form.

S!

Gunny

#3248895 - 03/28/11 07:44 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Thanks for your posts Gunslinger,this is the best info to date!
So tempted to try the russian version,and if we get stuck with the filter,but the Russians can get rid of it,I might just have to learn Russian...

Last edited by JG52Uther; 03/28/11 07:44 AM.
#3248899 - 03/28/11 07:57 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Speyer]  
TX-Gunslinger Offline
TX-Gunslinger  Offline

Austin, TX
Hi Uther! Didn't know you hung out over here smile

I've done this before so I knew it would blow a couple days. But just to get the familiarity with the controls and see the clickable cockpts was worth every bit for me.

You are like me, I know you'll buy a version to "support the cause" - plus it is insurance against the filter. It's only $14 US. When I got DCS:BS, it wasn't long before we had English files floating around also. This one will require files versus *.Lua script changes.

After all the time we've been lusting over this, a $14 "peek up the skirt" is more than worth it......

I'm certainly not a competant reviewer, and really don't try to be. Your going to love this thing man. I haven't even got to 10% of it yet.

G50 vs Hurri - full real - first flight - you gotta do it.

S!

Gunny

#3248905 - 03/28/11 08:03 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
TX-gunslinger,

Starting a new thread under a more appropriate and constructive title? Good idea. yep

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#3248919 - 03/28/11 08:27 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: 88Buzzsaw88
We have seen no evidence of Multicore support, we have no 64bit, we have no SLI/Crossfire and the game only uses 2GB of ram. Do you guys still think this is an entire new engine or could it be that Oleg's concept of a whole new game engine was to take away OpenGL and include DX10? I ask this because I cannot believe that in late 2007 a whole new game engine was created and they overlooked multicore support and 64bit technology and SLI/Crossfire, I have always said that the game engine is too old, Im beginning to believe I was right.

Once again, on another forum, Tree is doing all he can to be negative about this game.

What exactly is your point Tree?

Are you being paid to be completely destructive? Do you really get a thrill out of being the most negative person on these forums?

Instead of doing all you can to tear down this game with meaningless negativity, why don't you suggest some constructive response?

Yes, it seems the game is only using one core of any given processor, obviously there needs to be some work done.

And if you put your point in a positive way, without all the personal attacks, then maybe something useful might result from your comments.

People here ARE a little disappointed at the fact the game is not exactly in the best state of optimization, but it is clear there is a lot of potential, and given Oleg's track record, why not give him the benefit of the doubt?

Where else are we going to get the next gen flight sim?

There is only one group of people who are going to improve on the current state of CLIFFS OF DOVER, that is Oleg and his development team.

And attacking them personally and smearing the game is not going to increase the chances they will be able to deal with the issues.

If you are not willing to moderate your tone and post constructively, what's the point?

If you are just here to indulge your ego and your vindicativeness, you might as well give it up, no one really is interested in that kind of feedback.

Earth calling Buzzsaw - Keep up mate, Oleg as gone.

Earth calling Tree, your random guesses at total disaster are looking a bit premature now, grasping at straws with this comment above as well, it makes no difference whether Oleg or Luthier runs the show really, have you rethought all your doom and gloom now that people that actually have the game are proving many of your arguments wrong.

Last edited by Tiger27; 03/28/11 08:28 AM.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3248921 - 03/28/11 08:34 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Great posts, Gunslinger. Thank you for taking the time to describe your impressions.

#3248923 - 03/28/11 08:35 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Interesting post from Luthier at the 1c forum re single core:

I just want to say that this is the most ridiculous conspiracy theory yet.

1. The game engine is built from scratch. This... I don't even... I mean... Are you guys insane? Why the HELL would we hide the fact that we're using an old engine if we were? It wouldn't cost us any lost sales, that's for sure.

Most conspiracy theories fall apart very quickly because they're pointless, and because of Occam's razor. I have no idea what else to say about this, or how to actually prove that the game is new from scratch, except to release the source code.

2. We are using multiple cores. Details have been published previously. First core is used consistently, other cores have stuff delegated to them when needed. Performance monitoring will give you spikes depending on what's going on in the game.

3. The game is using 2.6 Gigs of RAM because that's how much stuff it needs to keep in the memory? What? Why are we even discussing this?
If you really like, we can easily dump another couple of gigs of stuff into memory and keep it there while you play. Would that make Cliffs of Dover a better flight sim?

In short, why is this even a topic? Why is there a certain segment of the community who is hell-bent on finding something that we lied to you about? This is becoming extremely tiresome, I have to say.

Please just judge the game on its merits as a flight sim, and not on the amount of RAM it takes up.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19534&page=7

#3248927 - 03/28/11 08:40 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Tree]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Oh, don't worry, Uther. I'm sure our favorite troll will be along soon to tell us why Luthier isn't being up front with us about this, and how this latest post doesn't change anything.

#3248932 - 03/28/11 08:48 AM Re: OK Lets look at the facts. [Re: Speyer]  
Lixma Offline
Lixma  Offline

Londinium
Originally Posted By: Luthier
If you really like, we can easily dump another couple of gigs of stuff into memory and keep it there while you play. Would that make Cliffs of Dover a better flight sim?

Ummm....yes?

I've got 6 gigs of memory, please use them.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.