#3239892 - 03/20/11 05:50 PM OT : can anyone help with german unit identity  
Pobs Offline
Hotshot
Pobs  Offline
Hotshot

North Wales, UK
Hi guys I have a german ww2 dogtag with the unit designation of :

1.Gen.Kp.G.E.A.btl.65

anyone any idea how to translate that to a unit ?

thanks,

Pobs

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3239939 - 03/20/11 06:50 PM Re: OT : can anyone help with german unit identity [Re: Pobs]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
Pobs, I found this info:

Erkennungsmarke: This was the standard issue German military identification tag, often called a "dog tag". The Erkennungsmarke was instituted and first issued in August of 1939 to all members of the German Wehrmacht. Thereafter, the tag was issued to all soldiers shortly after they were first inducted into the Wehrmacht. The tag itself consisted of a thin aluminum, zinc, steel, or tin oval disc that was worn around the neck on a chain, string, or lace. Wear of the tag was required at all times by all soldiers in the field or field conditions. It was perferated in the middle and was stamped with identical information above and below the perforation line. The tag was designed to be broken in two pieces when the soldier wearing it was killed. The lower half would be collected if at all possible, and given to the unit HQ for grave registration and notification. The upper half would remain with the body itself. The information on the tag varied throughout the war, but generally consisted of the designation of the individuals initial replacement unit (the unit all soldiers were inducted to before being sent to a regular field unit), a soldier number, and the soldiers blood type. Initially, all German units of Kompanie size were required to maintain complete lists of all soldiers and their Erkennungsmarke. These lists would be updated as needed once a month with any additions and subtractions based on men lost as KIA, MIA, through transfers or sick leave, or that were gained through replacements and transfers or soldiers returned from sick leave. This offical Kompanie listing was registerd with the German Armed Forces Information Office for Casualties and War Prisoners, and was kept as up-to-date as possible.

You can see an image of a tag to help make sure we are looking at the same thng. Go to this site:

http://www.feldgrau.com/soldier-id.html

CJ

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn...." Blue Oyster Cult

#3240022 - 03/20/11 08:10 PM Re: OT : can anyone help with german unit identity [Re: Crashin' Jack]  
Pobs Offline
Hotshot
Pobs  Offline
Hotshot

North Wales, UK
Hi CJ,

thanks for that, yup the oval one is the one I have, I know the background info on it, just not the unit description. The one I have is aluminium and the role number is 137 so probably early war, which fits in with its provenance, but I read on one site that 'Gen' = genesenden or 'convalescence' unit, which would be strange... so I was wondering if anyone know how to 'read' the unit details....

cheers,

Pobs

Last edited by Pobs; 03/21/11 10:22 AM.
#3240025 - 03/20/11 08:15 PM Re: OT : can anyone help with german unit identity [Re: Pobs]  
JulioJunqueira Offline
JulioJunqueira  Offline

Late Arrivals Club
Hi Pobs

If you are trying to find a soldier this is the place
( but you must pay a fee for any info) http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm

For abbreviations used on dog tags and Documents this may help you:

http://warrelics.eu/forum/photos-papers-...umentsetc-6376/

"No Mama! No Papa! No whiskey soda!"
#3240093 - 03/20/11 09:46 PM Re: OT : can anyone help with german unit identity [Re: Pobs]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I'd say it's probably the 1. Genesenden Kompanie, Grenadier- Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 65.

Some more info (in German) available here.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3240440 - 03/21/11 10:29 AM Re: OT : can anyone help with german unit identity [Re: Pobs]  
Pobs Offline
Hotshot
Pobs  Offline
Hotshot

North Wales, UK
Thanks guys, that is very helpful.

as far as I can tell the dogtags were given out in the ersatz unit that the recruit was first sent to prior to being allocated to a field formation, and they stayed with the soldier unless he lost them and the field unit replaced them with one of their own... not sure why a recruit would be sent straight to a convalescence unit unless he was injured in training though ?.... still, will have to look into this a bit more.

thanks again for your help.

regards,

Pobs

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.