Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#2745849 - 06/19/09 12:18 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: Alemart]  
FireBird_[WINE] Offline
FireBird_[WINE]  Offline

Originally Posted By: Alemart
why do we have to stick to non presice data packets?

Because it is implemented! And we have that code _right now_.

Originally Posted By: Alemart
is that code modificable?

Isn't this that _you_ were going to figure out? wink

My opinion is that lower layer modification is not required right now. A lot of can be achieved using current transport layer.

FireBird

#2745868 - 06/19/09 12:44 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: FireBird_[WINE]]  
Alemart Offline
Alemart  Offline

Zárate, Buenos Aires Province,...
Well sure, sorry but i also have a "normal" life...
I understand that non precise data packes are implemented, but do we HAVE to leave them as non pecise?, also, i asked you in you had an idea, hint or clue about the posibility to modify the code regarding this matter.
Peace.

Raúl Alejandro Molina Rosetti A.K.A.:
Alemart_el_Redentor.
Alemart_the_Redeemer.
Alemart.
Antaeus.
FAA-117
FAAVPilot.
pupae_pedorra.

Major, Argentine Virtual Air Force.
#2746400 - 06/19/09 08:16 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: Alemart]  
FireBird_[WINE] Offline
FireBird_[WINE]  Offline

Everyone here has his own normal life wink
That's why - why to improve existing code when you can add a new functionality at the same time?

Packets are not "not precise". Packets are _rare_ (relatively rare, of course). It means that for each given moment of time one client does not know the precise positon of another client. He can only extrapolate it basing on previously received precise data.

I cannot say _right now_ if this rarity will influence another crew member much or not. To clarify this question we must create "read only" cockpit/chopper for the second person FIRST OF ALL.

I suppose I have nothing to add at all.

#2746481 - 06/19/09 10:38 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: FireBird_[WINE]]  
Alemart Offline
Alemart  Offline

Copy that.

Alemart_el_Redentor.
Alemart_the_Redeemer.
Alemart.
Antaeus.
FAA-117
FAAVPilot.
pupae_pedorra.

#2747370 - 06/21/09 11:51 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: Alemart]  
Jabberwock Offline
Jabberwock  Offline

Poznan, Poland
Long time ago I've had a look at this...

While it is certainly doable, it is by no means a trivial task. The data shared between server and clients gives a very approximate picture of the battlefield - the data on the avionics, targetting, weapon etc. is missing.

To give you one example, when I've added helmet controlled gun, it turned out that none of this was shared in multiplayer - one player could draw pictures with the gun and all other players saw him shooting and hitting ground straight before him! To add canon position sharing required quite a bit of coding... and it is just a minor aspect.

I have toyed with two approaches to this - one is to create a separate play mode from scratch, with separate code for every aspect of the gunner control - this is probably better, but also much more demanding. Another way is to "piggyback" on the spectator view and try to manipulate the pilot's chopper entities - this is somewhat easier and can be done in small steps (for example, right now if you add a few lines, you can shoot a weapon of any craft you are watching!). However, I am not sure if you can get a full gunner experience with that...

#2747522 - 06/22/09 09:14 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: Jabberwock]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
I think it should be sufficient to piggyback on the current network code. It's probably going to be a jerky ride for the gunner, and he won't have any control over the helicopter, but it should be possible.

Firing weapons should be fine, as that's done on the server in any case.
Avionics like radar and TADS should be possible to recreate separately on the gunner and pilots computers (they have the necessary information for creating that information). Will probably have to sync some more data (like which direction the radar / TADS is pointing (if it's not already sent, and what is the current targeting system. Actually, at least on the Apache it's possible for e.g. the pilot to control the gun while the co-pilot simultaniously fires missiles, so maybe they should be able to choose different targeting systems...)).
For other information some more information might also need to be synced, like engine status, damage status etc.

But I think that should be enough for a reasonable gunner experience.

#2747523 - 06/22/09 09:15 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: arneh]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
But don't get the impression that I'm going to implement this now. I'm not. But if someone else wants to do it then I believe it should be possible without being too hard to do.

#2747686 - 06/22/09 04:45 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: arneh]  
Alemart Offline
Alemart  Offline

I am already thinkering with this, however it is not my main task right now (those are the boats), still, anithing new i can come up i will report.

Alemart_el_Redentor.
Alemart_the_Redeemer.
Alemart.
Antaeus.
FAA-117
FAAVPilot.
pupae_pedorra.

#2747877 - 06/22/09 10:37 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: Alemart]  
speedracer Offline
speedracer  Offline

how about making it so that it can run with 2 monitors separately on the same machine. That way I can have a buddy gun for me using one monitor and i can fly on the other monitor. I think that would be way easier than trying to do something over the net.

#2748064 - 06/23/09 08:35 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: speedracer]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: speedracer
how about making it so that it can run with 2 monitors separately on the same machine. That way I can have a buddy gun for me using one monitor and i can fly on the other monitor. I think that would be way easier than trying to do something over the net.

Well, you can aldready export the instruments to a second monitor. So don't think it's worth so much effort to put more work into that if the goal is to allow two players in one helicopter. It would still be a very limited experience even if the second monitor could have a 3D view (since both players would still have to be in the same room).

But if someone wants to work on that then go ahead.

#2748662 - 06/24/09 05:54 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: arneh]  
fng2k Offline
fng2k  Offline

US
stirthepot

#2748708 - 06/24/09 08:14 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: fng2k]  
Alemart Offline
Alemart  Offline

:P I do not know guys, it would be nice to have somebody to take care of this, my pot has already the moveable boats plus realistic loadouts plus new mfd pages for the "mi-28n- or mi-28a+"/ka-50 cockpit plus trying to appli an ejector seat for the ka-50 plus the recipe to make full new maps that i am still learning, and i thinkit still needs more time on the stove...

Alemart_el_Redentor.
Alemart_the_Redeemer.
Alemart.
Antaeus.
FAA-117
FAAVPilot.
pupae_pedorra.

#2815782 - 07/11/09 05:41 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: Alemart]  
Rahon Offline
Rahon  Offline

Plock, Poland
Mi-24 and Mi-28 may be problematic to have a possibility of being controlled by two players, as they don't have CPG's cockpit.

#3234133 - 03/14/11 06:10 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: arneh]  
Shein Offline
Shein  Offline

Florida
Originally Posted By: arneh

Well, you can aldready export the instruments to a second monitor. So don't think it's worth so much effort to put more work into that if the goal is to allow two players in one helicopter. It would still be a very limited experience even if the second monitor could have a 3D view (since both players would still have to be in the same room).

I have two monitors, yes i've used the search function, how does one go about exporting instruments to a second monitor like that?

#3234657 - 03/15/11 08:18 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: Shein]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: Shein
Originally Posted By: arneh

I have two monitors, yes i've used the search function, how does one go about exporting instruments to a second monitor like that?

I think these are what you need to read...

http://www.eechcentral.com/wiki/index.php?title=Shared_memory_export

http://www.eechcentral.com/wiki/index.php?title=MFD_Export

This thread might also help...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3177869/Seperate_viewable_MFD.html#Post3177869

Last edited by messyhead; 03/15/11 08:20 AM.
#3234900 - 03/15/11 04:02 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: speedracer]  
Shein Offline
Shein  Offline

Florida
Stellar! thanks man. I was going a bit of research myself, and if you don't mind buggering up the pilot's view, you could even use 2 monitors and have them "duplicate display" and give each person a monitor... course, that could be done even with 1 monitor and two people crowding around it...

#3234903 - 03/15/11 04:05 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: speedracer]  
Shein Offline
Shein  Offline

Florida
With the MFD export, would it be possible to export a whole separate cockpit to a second monitor? like the front seat of an apache/comanche and have it be able to look around independently of the first monitor/pilot/back seat? Because that's what I'm ultimately getting at...

#3234939 - 03/15/11 04:33 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: speedracer]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
I don't think that's currently possible.

As I understand it the MFDs that are exported are from the current cockpit view, pilot or co-pilot on the machine with the game running on it. It's only the MFDs (and indicators if data export is enabled) that are exported, not the whole cockpit with relevant views.

Sorry to burst your bubble ....

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3236319 - 03/17/11 03:45 AM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: speedracer]  
Shein Offline
Shein  Offline

Florida
Having done a little bit of research, I'm still not giving up on this. Not that I think it exists, but I don't think it would be difficult at all to accomplish. Am I the only one still interested? Sadly, I have no programing experience and would have no idea where to begin, but here's what I've gathered. With the shared memory export, and the MFD export already in the EECH.ini file, and the EECH CommServer (http://www.eechcentral.com/wiki/index.php?title=EECH_CommServer) how tricky could it be to export a cockpit to a separate computer/monitor? I would imagine the hard part would be giving that computer/monitor access to the gunship's controls, but the way I envisioned it was this. One computer, 2 monitors. Monitor 1: pilot's seat, player with joystick, relevant flight buttons programed to buttons on the joystick (joysticks these days should have more than enough buttons) monitor 2: gunner/CPG seat, with the mouse and keyboard operating radar, ECM, weapons, TADS, all that other fun stuff. Anyone have some insight? or anyone with some programming experience have any ideas? It could technically be accomplished right now with the MFD export, it might just be a little boring and less immerse for the CPG

#3236684 - 03/17/11 04:13 PM Re: 1 chopper 2 players [Re: speedracer]  
HerrKaputt Offline
HerrKaputt  Offline

Shein, as a programmer, I can tell you that what you want can go from excruciatingly difficult to easy as pie on Christmas, depending on how the original developers coded this smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.