Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3226037 - 03/06/11 09:54 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: nuggetx]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
Nice vids Fozzy. Guncam footage like this one only encourage the myth of squiggly tracers because of how the camera is affected by the vibrations and recoil of the guns. Tracers from other aircraft as can be seen in the vid give a good example of how tracers actually look. Also remember that camera settings must also be considered.

Here's another example :

TRACER FIRE

Now tell me they don't look like Star Wars lasers...

I also like this one a lot :

M134 Minigun

Not comparable to WW2 era weapons, but gives a good impression of how .50 cal tracers look and ricochet.

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3226039 - 03/06/11 10:09 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: nuggetx]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
This simple question should end this argument once and for all (though I know it won't wink ):

Which came first, Star Wars or Tracers?

#3226045 - 03/06/11 10:18 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: LukeFF]  
nuggetx Offline
nuggetx  Offline

Originally Posted By: LukeFF
This simple question should end this argument once and for all (though I know it won't wink ):

Which came first, Star Wars or Tracers?

Star Wars ofcourse , didn't you read the first text in the documentary?

'A long long time ago..... '

#3226087 - 03/06/11 11:57 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: Freycinet]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Originally Posted By: Freycinet

Reminds me of the "actual WWII Spitfire pilot" we had at the 1C forum a while ago... - He must have been quite old, but strangely sounded just liked a teenager in his postings.

Noone at the 1C forum ever pretended to be a WW2 Spitfire pilot. It was a Hurricane pilot.

Jokes aside, noone did as you said. IIRC, in one of the topics, someone asked me where I knew all my information from on (I think) uniforms or a subject like that, and I said I was there (which was pure sarcasm). Anyone with a minimum amount of credulity would have understood the irony surrounding the fact that the moment you have 'been there' makes everything you say correct. It doesn't, as ones memory is a temeramental thing; especially after 70+ years. Of course being in the war adds a lot of tangibility to any comments, but credibility is another matter.

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3226089 - 03/06/11 11:58 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: HogDriver]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Originally Posted By: HogDriver
Never thought I'd say this, but this board is getting as bad as any GameFAQS board....

deadhorse

Yes, sad but true.
I think it's the hypocrites who moan about trolls, but end up stirring the flame wars themselves. Just leave them be, and the topics will fizzle into nothingness quite soon.

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3226124 - 03/06/11 01:30 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: nuggetx]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Just leave them be, and the topics will fizzle into nothingness quite soon

Yes don't start new threads that invite yet more arguments that's the main thing

</PokerFace>

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#3226221 - 03/06/11 04:13 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: nuggetx]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

I'm incredibly hypocritical. I'm just old enough to deal with it. wink

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3226319 - 03/06/11 06:18 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: VonBarb.]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

Originally Posted By: VonBarb.
Nice vids Fozzy. Guncam footage like this one only encourage the myth of squiggly tracers because of how the camera is affected by the vibrations and recoil of the guns. Tracers from other aircraft as can be seen in the vid give a good example of how tracers actually look. Also remember that camera settings must also be considered.

Here's another example :

TRACER FIRE

Now tell me they don't look like Star Wars lasers...

I also like this one a lot :

M134 Minigun

Not comparable to WW2 era weapons, but gives a good impression of how .50 cal tracers look and ricochet.

Cheers

Nico

It's also my understanding that the red tracer wasn't introduced until the 50s when NATO/Allied troops in Korea could tell by the color of who was doing the shooting. Before that, tracers were a yellowish color and it varied do to the the different companies making ammo and traces. I'm sure the phosphorus being used during WW2 varied a lot by all nations.

#3226321 - 03/06/11 06:21 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: nuggetx]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Oleg is using official AM/Luftwaffe (and maybe even Italian Air Force) documents for the tracer, so colours are based on what is mentioned in the documents wink

Last edited by Philip_ed; 03/06/11 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3226338 - 03/06/11 06:36 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: nuggetx]  
Mizzy Offline
Mizzy  Offline

I suspect this Nugget person is trolling and quite effectively as the person is getting some attention and while this happens, the more bizarre the critique will become. I have seen the internet pattern many times before and this is classic but not very imaginative trolling!!

Anyway Nugget, take a sleeping pill and shut up, there's a good chap smile

Mizzy

#3226341 - 03/06/11 06:38 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: LukeFF]  
Mizzy Offline
Mizzy  Offline

Originally Posted By: monsterZER0
Nuggetx, If you end up buying this game I will laugh my ass off. Please do not. You are the DEFINITION of a troll. I HATE when I see a new thread in this forum and then realize YOU made it. Your posts are huge wastes of precious ones and zeroes. Sorry if I sound harsh but enough is enough. Go away.

Just put him on Ignore like I have.

Yes that's the way forward! Now where is that ignore button!

#3226360 - 03/06/11 07:02 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: nuggetx]  
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Sim  Offline
Hotshot

How should it look today? At least as good as this IMHO

#3226363 - 03/06/11 07:08 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: Philip_ed]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

Originally Posted By: Philip_ed
Oleg is using official AM/Luftwaffe (and maybe even Intalian Air Force) documents for the tracer, so colours are based on what is mentioned in the documents wink

That's another good point. Anyone that studies the Wehrmacht and Nazi Germany's manufacturing can tell you that there was never a universal anything. Look at how many different camo. patterns were used by the Heer, Luftwaffe and Waffen SS. Paint schemes on panzers vary widely and no two panzers in the same unit ever looked the same. Two companies, Henschel and Porsche, both made their own versions of the King Tiger, resulting in two different turrets on what looks to be an identical hull. What about the Mkb42 that was produced by one company,later approved by Hitler (2 years later), redesigned and classified as the MP44, name changed by Hitler to the Stg 44, all the while having something like 3 or 4 different companies all making different versions of the weapon? The list goes on and on that universality didn't exist in Nazi Germany.

Last edited by FozzyBear; 03/06/11 07:12 PM.
#3226394 - 03/06/11 08:04 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: FozzyBear]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
When a/c left the factory they had a standard paint scheme, for the time period and the operating area.

Same for AFVs. Variations were applied by the units.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#3226519 - 03/06/11 10:19 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: Freycinet]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
[quote=Novotny]

Reminds me of the "actual WWII Spitfire pilot" we had at the 1C forum a while ago... - He must have been quite old, but strangely sounded just liked a teenager in his postings.

Any relation to the 'girl' on the RoF forum whose grandfather flew SE5as in WW1?

#3226618 - 03/07/11 12:42 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: Sim]  
Royraiden Offline
Royraiden  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sim
How should it look today? At least as good as this IMHO

Climb up a few thousand feet and you wont have that much detail on the ground or water.In Cod the terrain textures look a bit worse but you can see the details even at very high altitude, same with the water.You cant look at a big detailed part of the sea in Wop, just a tiny area on focus and a whole lot blurred.

#3226653 - 03/07/11 01:42 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: KraziKanuK]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK
When a/c left the factory they had a standard paint scheme, for the time period and the operating area.

Same for AFVs. Variations were applied by the units.

Yes, you are correct. But I wouldn't use the term paint scheme, because some will think there was an actual camo. applied. It's just like the Panther V Ausf A and subsequent variants where painted with a sand color, then the perspective units would apply their own scheme that blended them into the different terrain that the Western and Eastern fronts provided.

#3226800 - 03/07/11 08:21 AM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: Mizzy]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Mizzy

Click on the user's name, and select the 'View profile' link. From there you can select the Ignore option.

#3227091 - 03/07/11 04:14 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: LukeFF]  
monsterZER0 Offline
monsterZER0  Offline

Originally Posted By: Mizzy

Click on the user's name, and select the 'View profile' link. From there you can select the Ignore option.

Done and done. Thanks for the tip Luke! No more nuggetx droppings to step in!

#3227117 - 03/07/11 04:49 PM Re: How CoD should look like by today standards [Re: knightgames]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Originally Posted By: knightgames
[quote=Novotny]

Any relation to the 'girl' on the RoF forum whose grandfather flew SE5as in WW1?

Never played RoF old-boy

Flt Lt Kellaway
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.