Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3222568 - 03/02/11 07:58 PM Ingame IHADSS  
JayPee Offline
JayPee  Offline

The Netherlands
A question for Flexman, is it an idea to have the IHADSS flight symbology (and NVS feed when turned on) show up smaller and slightly off center to the right of the screen in a circle with a slightly different shade? A circle that smoothly blends over in the rest of the screen instead of huge centered IHADSS symbology and full screen NVG imagery like seen in most sims.

This would simulate the fact more that you're watching it all through a very small monocle in front of your right eye. A bit like DCS A-10C has but circular instead of oval shaped as the monocle is a circle. Take a look at this example. Tho I would blend the boundary frame a bit since you can never see it that sharp when mounting it in front of your eye.

Let me know what you think of it...

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3222650 - 03/02/11 09:03 PM Re: Ingame IHADSS [Re: JayPee]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
Funnily enough someone a while back linked a similar picture (if not the same one).

I was told that when it's over your eye you don't see it at all, blurred or otherwise. I looked at four different submitted design proposals for PNVS, none of them are perfect, all have pluses and minuses.

I like the idea of having a 3D monocle object that you see briefly when you flip it in and out. PNVS gets a we bit complicated as night vision is supplied by a camera close to 3-5 meters in front of you and optically calibrated to closely to match the human eye (1.1:1 ratio I think it was??)

We don't want to waste precious GPU/texture bandwidth having to draw two versions of the world (3 if you count MTADS) so we made the decision to have it align perfectly and use the existing world render buffer for your PNVS image but post processed. We'll see what happens when we add that system, it might be that we can make the offset camera work, it's the easiest to try first.

Richard - You Have Control
Tricubic Studios Ltd. (dev blog)
#3222741 - 03/02/11 10:14 PM Re: Ingame IHADSS [Re: JayPee]  
spike_knock Offline
spike_knock  Offline

Germany
The Parallax effect is most evident when on the ground, especially when looking 90 degrees left or right, and there is 3x10 ft from the PNVS to the Pilot's head (yes, 1.1:1). In-flight, however, it is not noticeable. It is more of an annoyance and limitation that must be overcome through training.

Originally Posted By: JayPee
A bit like DCS A-10C has but circular instead of oval shaped as the monocle is a circle.

That looks very close to how goggle feel, maybe black out and fuzz the edges between I2 and regular visuals to account for the goggle frame.

How to react to incoming 30mm:
Jump up 20 feet and spread yourself out over a wide area
#3223089 - 03/03/11 09:12 AM Re: Ingame IHADSS [Re: Flexman]  
JayPee Offline
JayPee  Offline

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Flexman
we made the decision to have it align perfectly and use the existing world render buffer for your PNVS image but post processed. We'll see what happens when we add that system, it might be that we can make the offset camera work, it's the easiest to try first.
Looking forward to it!

#3224690 - 03/04/11 11:25 PM Re: Ingame IHADSS [Re: JayPee]  
Raptor9 Offline
Rotorhead / GFC
Raptor9  Offline
Rotorhead / GFC

Central US
Since Apache pilots also use NVG's on occasion, it'd be neat to implement that as well...maybe on a later release/update. I agree with spike_knock about the way DCS: A-10C models the NVG's; very similar to the real thing, even allows you to look "under" the goggles to view the cockpit panels unaided.

I wouldn't think simulating the parallax effects of the NVS systems make much sense in a game. Like spike_knock mentioned it's only noticeable at close ranges anyway.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.