Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3219952 - 02/27/11 08:28 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
On my laptop, I loose the edge after 251 and 9, but I'm happy with that result.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3219956 - 02/27/11 08:35 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: Winny]  
GloDark7 Offline
GloDark7  Offline

Pale Blue Dot
Originally Posted By: Winny
Nice quick brightness/contrast calibration test.

A really good monitor will show a difference between the central (pure white) bar and the block 254
A good monitor will show the boundary between the bar and 251.. If you're just seeing all white.. you've a problem.

For the shadows, Very Good monitor and you'll see the boundary between central (pure black) bar and block 5, a good one will show at 15, a lot don't differentiate till 30..

Thanks Winny.

On the white I see gradation between 240 to 250, the difference of the central bar, but can't make out any gradation between 254 to 251.

On the black I see difference and gradation between all blocks.

When I got my monitor (LG LED V2420) I spent a good hour calibrating based on these tests - http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/.

All done on the monitor controls, but I have 2 ATI profiles that adjust brightness slightly. One for daytime levels and one for night.

Glo

System
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
ATI HD 4850 1GB
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (on OCZ Agility SSD 60GB)

Flight Gear
Freetrack 6DoF (using TrackIR 3 cam)
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force (failed after 6 strong years of service)
Saitek X-52 Pro Flight System with Hall Sensor Magnet Mod (flying is good again)
#3219974 - 02/27/11 09:08 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
Raspu86 Offline
Raspu86  Offline

Many people have gamma and brightness too much cranked up wink

#3219991 - 02/27/11 09:25 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: Winny]  
mazex Offline
mazex  Offline

Sweden

A really good monitor will show a difference between the central (pure white) bar and the block 254
A good monitor will show the boundary between the bar and 251.. If you're just seeing all white.. you've a problem.

For the shadows, Very Good monitor and you'll see the boundary between central (pure black) bar and block 5, a good one will show at 15, a lot don't differentiate till 30..

Good test - thought I had my monitor well calibrated but I had too loosen the Gamma a bit to get down all the way to 5 on the blacks while seeing at least the boundary at 252... I run a Samsung 2233RZ TN panel at home to get the 120Hz and fast gtg for gaming, but I'm sure my IPS at work will see all the boundarys... Hopefully wink

#3220009 - 02/27/11 10:01 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
Rodney Offline
Tea & Medals
Rodney  Offline
Tea & Medals

Some of you have a point, I adjusted the green channel and toned it down a bit and now at least the screen shot looks much better.I'll have to check wop and fsx.

#3220028 - 02/27/11 10:50 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: T}{OR]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: T}{OR
I have but one question: have you ever heard about expensive monitor calibrators? TN/IPS/S-PVA panels and their differences?

Yes, what on earth does that have to do with my sarcasm?

#3220047 - 02/27/11 11:31 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: Philip_ed]  
Winny Offline
Winny  Offline

Originally Posted By: Philip_ed
Winny, could you show a picture of CoD between Less green and the original? As Doug said, we all don't really have room to judge at this stage, but I'd be interested to see how that picture would look.
Quite an interesting topic now wink

Ok, I try and stay away from opinions.. But when I get CoD, I'll set it up so it looks like this...ish depends how I feel on that day.

I prefer more contrast and less brigtness because grey blacks make things feel lightweight. That would be the one word I'd use to describe the look of CoD, but that's all it is, a look. It's not something the devs need to fix, it's something the user adjusts to suit taste.

All of this 'the colours are wrong' thing is pointless because you can fix it yourself (if you think it's broke). Just grab a screen shot, open it in windows, open the Graphics properties and mess around with everything till you like it more. Save it, repeat for next game, Simple.

#3220061 - 02/27/11 11:42 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: Winny]  
nuggetx Offline
nuggetx  Offline

in Multiplayer i don't care about graphics,,,, i'll set my screen to 640x480 like in il-2 if it will help me spot cons from 6k alt WinkNGrin

#3220072 - 02/27/11 11:51 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
This is an old screenie I took in WoP a long time ago, on a 2+year old system.

They can use flat photographs of bushes because in WoP one won't really be required to land - indeed, landing is pretty much forbidden in the game.

If CoD only did one little part of England I'd expect huge fidelity. But there's a whole lot more of the world generated in CoD. I hear the mythical land of France (noted on WoP maps as "Here Be Dragons" and "Terra Incognita") are actually in CoD.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3220083 - 02/28/11 12:05 AM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: Winny]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Excellent, Winny. Thanks! thumbsup

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3220095 - 02/28/11 12:16 AM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: citizen guod]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

Originally Posted By: guod
Yep. The big problem is, anyone popping off without having their video card and monitor(s) calibrated are just firing blanks when they comment. Once the colors are calibrated, then there is a "correct" baseline to voice opinions.

Actually the problem is that people have different RGB settings in their browsers. If you use the default settings in Firefox, the images look highly saturated compared to IE or even Chrome. Images will look highly saturated in most Microsoft image viewers. This is why I use Irfanview to look at my graphics I make in Gimp or Photoshop.

There is an easy fix I have posted in the past to fix the RGBs in Firefox.

Originally Posted By: mazex
Well, I don't really understand what you mean by "not using" white balance? You mean that you don't care about it when taking the photo in RAW format? That is naturally correct and one of the main reasons that most photographers love the RAW format - you can adjust the white balance in a program like Photoshop Lightroom instead of doing it "in the field"... But anyway - a photographer that does not care about white balance today really has to have a camera that automatically sets the WB 100% correct all the time? Today the cameras sure are good at that but one of the first corrections I do to a RAW image is always to make sure that the WB is correct - or tweak it to achieve a warmer picture for effect wink Especially when taking non-flash photos indoor the white balance is seldom perfect even on the best cameras.

If "no one really cares about W/B anymore" - the GUI designers at Adobe (who are acknowledged by some to know what they do) must be way off by placing WB corrections at the TOP of the GUI in Adobe Lightroom (see below)? If no one uses it any more, why not place it in the bottom?

I didn't elaborate because I figured no one would know what RAW and Light Room were. I didn't imply that a photographer should be a knuckled head and take a picture under Incandescent light with the W/B Florescent setting. However, I do often times use wrong W/B settings and have made some awesome images. I usually do that when I'm not at home to use Photoshop or Light Room or have a small memory card, which isn't good for RAW format

Originally Posted By: Dart
hey can use flat photographs of bushes because in WoP one won't really be required to land - indeed, landing is pretty much forbidden in the game.

As a 2d/3d artist, I don't know what you mean by "flat photographs." Most games, besides avatar and vehicle skins, use images with Normal/Bump Mapping. Crysis uses something else, which I forget the name of, but its sort of similar.

Originally Posted By: T}{OR
Besides, IMO the IL2 Emil looks better than the one shown here. But this may be due to the level of details used on this particular photo.

That's because WoP is a console port. You are never going to see high poly models in current generation consoles. If you tried, you probably blow up your entire house once it tried to render them.

Last edited by FozzyBear; 02/28/11 12:30 AM.
#3220117 - 02/28/11 01:02 AM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: FozzyBear]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Fozzy - I think Dart is referring to WoP using aerial photography edited with houses/trees where shopping centers are today, i.e. flat photo textures illusion is broken down low (see other thread for links).

Also, since I'm here now smile the CryEngine 2 form of bumpmapping is the gloriously named 'Polybump' - a clever form of normal mapping.

#3220124 - 02/28/11 01:17 AM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
heady89 Offline
heady89  Offline

Sweden
lul, nugget the trollzor is at it again with his l33t arguments.

Specifications;
Intel I7 950 3,1 GHZ
4890 OC 900mhz 1GB DDR5
6084 MB DDR3 PC8200 RAM
Saitek X52 , Track IR 5 , F!tality Headset
#3220129 - 02/28/11 01:40 AM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
Winny Offline
Winny  Offline

This is my last photoshop job, but worth looking at. If you're not bored already.

Light bands are the original, dark have very high contrast, that's all.

Most video cards have colour management, use it to get what you want out of CoD.

It's clearly a good looking game.

#3220271 - 02/28/11 10:08 AM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
VaiHalen Offline
VaiHalen  Offline

Madrid, Spain
Winny I sent you a private message smile

#3220296 - 02/28/11 12:32 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
They can use flat photographs of bushes

Dart may be talking here about the fact that one can take a shot of a bush, or create a 3D model of a bush. Then one can take two images of the bush/3d object, orthogonal/at 90 degrees. Use the alpha channel (transparency property) to have only the bush-structure now in the image. Texture a couple of polygons (at right angles to each other) with the bush images and rely on the user's graphics sub-system to show the 2D sprites as fairly decent-looking 3D bushes (from lots of angles but not from the straight down view, when there are no bushes below, just chickens)

Oleg uses this computerised tomography (as it were) technique to assemble his magnificent forests, which seen from above and from most angles look entirely convincing. Do not try to fly through the trees though because there are no trees. Just a world of hurt Smile2

Many modern graphics cards can do object cloning/instantiation and they will need to for lots of bushes or even better, hedges/bocage Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#3220308 - 02/28/11 01:12 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
Rodney Offline
Tea & Medals
Rodney  Offline
Tea & Medals

I've been perfectly happy with my colour settings with rof, wop, fsx for the past year but get a few screen shots of CoD and find I need to adjust them. Any chance Oleg and team
" God bless his name don't say it in vain" may actually have had their monitors set up differently during development? I have a few screenshots as my desktop background and have adjusted them to suit.

#3220411 - 02/28/11 03:38 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
Lixma Offline
Lixma  Offline

Londinium
In Soviet Russia colours saturate you.

#3220445 - 02/28/11 04:36 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
From my time as photographer, what I see in CoD shots seems too much contrast. Could be a result of HDR, as is often the case with today's games?

#3220447 - 02/28/11 04:37 PM Re: Colors and saturation are way off [Re: nuggetx]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Winny, that shot of the spit looks great! to me, the landscape colours look perfect. However, as you say, it isn't an exact science. Looking at the 109 shot, you have altered the colours of the paintscheme quite dramatically. Although it's way too early to comment, i think that changes like this aren't always going to work. they affect the whole game, and thus can make one area look good, and another look worse. Similarly, the paintscheme of the Spit has been altered, and to me doesn't reflect the colours which I like. Still a great job though. We'll see how it is in a few weeks time.
In the perfect world, we'd be able to adjust the colour/saturation of the lansdscape, sky etc to suit our liking, but of course that is a lot to ask!

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.