Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3219510 - 02/27/11 02:47 AM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Master]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Master
Give me a bottle of jameson irish whiskey and I will drink the whole thing straight in one sitting... that stuff is good in a very bad way!

Me and Jameson go way back, with a Harp chaser. One night in Burlington Vermont a few years ago drinking shots of Jameson's with a Harp chase, only slightly remember almost fighting three HUGE bouncers, almost punching my friend trying to get me outta there, losing my shirt, gaining a Hawaiin shirt, and outwitting the police with an awesome network of National Guard buddies texting my buddy who was getting me out of there...no jail for me that night! wink

Whiskey's not for me...no matter how much I like it, it's nothing but trouble!

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3219553 - 02/27/11 05:23 AM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Li'lJugs]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
Quick update from the Scotch tasting tonight, hopefully this is coherent wink

Formal tasting:
1. Glenmorangie 10y, already one of my favourites, this is just a nice, clean Scotch 4/5
2. McCallum 12y, Sherry cask, peaty, a little strong 3/5
3. Laphroig 12y, if you are a fan of strong peaty, medicinal Scotch, this is your drink, for me "VERY peaty, medicinal, evil".
4. Highland Park 12y, slight peat, fruity, nice Scotch 3/5
5. Balvenie Signature 12y, dry, slightly peaty, oaky 2/5

Informal tasting: (the friends I was with took turns picking)
1. Glenmorangie Port, slight peat, nice, clean, slightly strong 3/5
2. Aberfeldy 12y, smoky, fruity, slight peat 3/5
3. Oban 14y, clean, but slight smoky, peaty, not overbearing 3/5
4. Glenfiddich 21y, i am not really a fan of glenfiddich, this one was decent though, 2/5
5. Dalwhinnie, dry, oakey, 2/5
6. Singleton, not flavourful, a little too harsh 2/5

My favourites that I will probably pick up a bottle of would be Glenmorangie and Highland Park, possibly also the McCallum 12y.

Cheers!

#3219555 - 02/27/11 05:25 AM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Jinro Offline
Jinro  Offline

Is it odd that I despise beer but love Scotch and Bourbon? biggrin

My first Bourbon was Maker's Mark. I prefer blending Scotch--single malt is too sour for my tastes. Johnnie Walker Black Label is my favorite so far....considering most of the "good" Scotches are $150+, which is way to effing much to pay for 375ml of alcohol.

I never drink Jack....even though I'm a native Tennessean, lol.

Last edited by Jinro; 02/27/11 05:25 AM.
#3219587 - 02/27/11 06:36 AM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Me and Jameson go way back, with a Harp chaser. One night in Burlington Vermont a few years ago drinking shots of Jameson's with a Harp chase, only slightly remember almost fighting three HUGE bouncers, almost punching my friend trying to get me outta there, losing my shirt, gaining a Hawaiin shirt, and outwitting the police with an awesome network of National Guard buddies texting my buddy who was getting me out of there...no jail for me that night! wink

Whiskey's not for me...no matter how much I like it, it's nothing but trouble!

Yep, for some of us (me included) strong spirits are imbibed safely only at home.

It's us smile

My best friend in the world and I have a favorite story about the night we called the cops on ourselves! We were pissed at the bouncers (like six of them) and decided to call the cops on them. Luckily the cops were even slower than our severely addled brains...we hauled ass!

Shots of Jack...more please

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3220968 - 03/01/11 03:41 AM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: MojoFlow]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Originally Posted By: MojoFlow
Quick update from the Scotch tasting tonight, hopefully this is coherent wink

Formal tasting:
1. Glenmorangie 10y, already one of my favourites, this is just a nice, clean Scotch 4/5
2. McCallum 12y, Sherry cask, peaty, a little strong 3/5
3. Laphroig 12y, if you are a fan of strong peaty, medicinal Scotch, this is your drink, for me "VERY peaty, medicinal, evil".
4. Highland Park 12y, slight peat, fruity, nice Scotch 3/5
5. Balvenie Signature 12y, dry, slightly peaty, oaky 2/5

Informal tasting: (the friends I was with took turns picking)
1. Glenmorangie Port, slight peat, nice, clean, slightly strong 3/5
2. Aberfeldy 12y, smoky, fruity, slight peat 3/5
3. Oban 14y, clean, but slight smoky, peaty, not overbearing 3/5
4. Glenfiddich 21y, i am not really a fan of glenfiddich, this one was decent though, 2/5
5. Dalwhinnie, dry, oakey, 2/5
6. Singleton, not flavourful, a little too harsh 2/5

My favourites that I will probably pick up a bottle of would be Glenmorangie and Highland Park, possibly also the McCallum 12y.

Cheers!

Great tasting notes.
Some of the ones you marked down are among my favorites especially Dahlwhinne and Laphroig. Oban, is depending on the time of year my favorite.
Thats why its nice to do a tasting, everyones taste buds are different, if you can only try one single-malt at a time you may not find one you like.
Personally, the peatier the better, the grassy ones not so much.

Cheers!

#3221019 - 03/01/11 05:10 AM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Electra Offline
Wild road...
Electra  Offline
Wild road...

True West
Laphroaig 12 yr.

want...

Full fathom five, thy father lies

Harold Kahler, O4 USAF F-105D, Lincoln NE, MIA 6/14/69 LAOS
GBNF

#3221171 - 03/01/11 01:13 PM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Li'lJugs]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Don't like the real peaty stuff like Laphroig. My favouite is Abelour. It's very smooth and neutral. Also not too expensive and the 10 year old is excellent. It's made in the same town as Walker's shortbreads.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3221231 - 03/01/11 02:21 PM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Li'lJugs]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I've got two bottles of some single malt 100 buck stuff that will remind me why it stays in the fancy tube as I scrape the hair off my tongue, and then:

Rainy day sipping: George Dickel, 12 year old.
VFUI (Virtual Flying Under Influence): Johnny Walker Black
Nobody to disturb me reading: Bushmill's.

Straight and neat, please. A quality liquor needs no dillution or flavoring, IMHO.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3221321 - 03/01/11 03:50 PM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Scotch lover here.

*looks over to the liquor cabinet*

Lagavulin 16 yrs, Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 yrs, Laphroaigh 10 yrs, Talisker 18yrs, Ardbeg 10 yrs, Bowmore 12 yrs, Caol Ila 12yrs, Bowmore 18 yrs.

I think I remember doing the Talisker with you in that first bar we were in when you came to NYC. It was nice. Very smoky and peaty. I got a little rowdy that night by the time we got to the 2nd bar. LOL

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#3221328 - 03/01/11 03:58 PM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Electra]  
Skater Offline
Skater  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: Electra
Originally Posted By: Sauron
On the rare occasion that I drink, and even rarer occasion that what I drink is whiskey, my choice is Old Bushmill's 12-year-old Irish. Apparently, from what I've read in this thread, it's a "Protestant" whiskey.

I think that's a quote from The Wire. the character Jimmy McNulty drinks pretty much nothing but Jameson, so while at a party with an open bar, he orders a Jameson, bartender says "we don't have Jameson, we have Bushmill's", to which McNulty replies "that's Protestant Whiskey"

Bang On Dead Accurate!

As obscure as an informal quote can be, and you got it straight away!

Interestingly enough, and why I liked the quote to begin with... My dad has said the same thing for decades. Also a Jameson drinker primarily, but he prefers the good stuff like Blue Label, Green Label, The Macallen, etc. Must be an old-school Irish thing.

-Skater

"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28
Never, ever, underestimate the ability of people to discount Occam's Razor. - Dart
"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." - Grover Norquist
#3221432 - 03/01/11 05:45 PM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Li'lJugs]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Bushmills is made in Northern Ireland and so is "protestant"....Jamiesons is brewed in Eire and so is "not protestant" smile

I am very ecumenical and like both biggrin

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#3221457 - 03/01/11 06:05 PM Re: I rarely drink whiskey, straight or otherwise, but when I do... [Re: Li'lJugs]  
MojoFlow Offline
MojoFlow  Offline

Moose Jaw, SK Canada
I am not a fan of the very peaty ones (Laphroig), but the guy running the tasting said they are quite a popular style among Scotch drinkers.

smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.