Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3206692 - 02/13/11 04:06 PM SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach  
arkhangelsk Offline
arkhangelsk  Offline

I can understand that the SR-71 starts jamming in the S-75 scenarios as I hit the 75km range mode b/c my PRF changed, but why is it that the SR-71 in Giant Reach seems to know when I have pushed the launch button? I lock it up - doesn't react, so that isn't the trigger. I turn the missiles into "In-Flight" acquisition mode and push the launch button. Before I even hear the sound of the rocket fire on my end the jamming starts. Of course, I'm ruthlessly exploiting the effect by provoking him and then launching HOJ S-200s, but is that supposed to happen and why. What has telegraphed my move?

Thanks.

Oh, as for improvements to the AAR system, I like the idea of not having too much info, so no video. Just that I am admittedly tempted to ask whether it is possible to let me know how close the missiles that DIDN'T get to trigger their proximity fuses got (that is, CPA). This may be unrealistic in combat, but in say Asuluk shouldn't there be enough range instrumentation to tell me how far I missed?

If anything, my preferences, after the terrain model, would be to add the K3 and K9 vans to the S-200. And in the very far off future, Multiplayer.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3206729 - 02/13/11 04:55 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: arkhangelsk]  
NaiseFail Offline
NaiseFail  Offline

Virginia
Originally Posted By: arkhangelsk
I can understand that the SR-71 starts jamming in the S-75 scenarios as I hit the 75km range mode b/c my PRF changed, but why is it that the SR-71 in Giant Reach seems to know when I have pushed the launch button? I lock it up - doesn't react, so that isn't the trigger. I turn the missiles into "In-Flight" acquisition mode and push the launch button. Before I even hear the sound of the rocket fire on my end the jamming starts. Of course, I'm ruthlessly exploiting the effect by provoking him and then launching HOJ S-200s, but is that supposed to happen and why. What has telegraphed my move?

Thanks.

Oh, as for improvements to the AAR system, I like the idea of not having too much info, so no video. Just that I am admittedly tempted to ask whether it is possible to let me know how close the missiles that DIDN'T get to trigger their proximity fuses got (that is, CPA). This may be unrealistic in combat, but in say Asuluk shouldn't there be enough range instrumentation to tell me how far I missed?

If anything, my preferences, after the terrain model, would be to add the K3 and K9 vans to the S-200. And in the very far off future, Multiplayer.

Heh, it's a tricky scenario. I'll agree that the SR-71 starts jamming too fast, honestly I think it'd take at least 2-3 seconds for the pilot to notice the shot, find and flip the music on. Altho, the same could be said for the timing of some other things, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

As for how he knows, one acronym; RWR. As you paint him with your acquisition radar his RWR will show an S inside of a diamond, and he'll hear a beeping sound every few seconds. He'll hear a three tone beep when you acquire him with your targeting radar to let him know that a new radar has found him. Finally, he'll hear a tone when the missile is fired, thus telling him it's time to either evade or turn his music on.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it's possible to intercept the SR-71 using a normal engagement procedure. Subtle hints to help you:

1. Only one battery has the ability to intercept him, pay close attention to his flight plan and it's obvious.
2. You need to fire on him at maximum range. MAXIMUM RANGE. ;D
3. #2 just told you the dirty trick. Give it some thought, and if all else fails play with the switches.

Finally, I'm wondering if I've found a bug, or if I'm breaking my radar. If you slew the Fansong all the way down it gets stuck and won't move. Is this a bug, or am I breaking a cable or something?

#3206734 - 02/13/11 05:06 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: NaiseFail]  
Muggs Offline
Muggs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: NaiseFail
Finally, I'm wondering if I've found a bug, or if I'm breaking my radar. If you slew the Fansong all the way down it gets stuck and won't move. Is this a bug, or am I breaking a cable or something?

See page 12 of the manual.

To free it, press the black button on the lower left of the console on the 'Y' screen.

#3206736 - 02/13/11 05:10 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: Muggs]  
NaiseFail Offline
NaiseFail  Offline

Virginia
Originally Posted By: Muggs

See page 12 of the manual.

To free it, press the black button on the lower left of the console on the 'Y' screen.

Ah, thanks.

#3207234 - 02/14/11 08:20 AM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: NaiseFail]  
vintorez Offline
vintorez  Offline

Heh, it's a tricky scenario. I'll agree that the SR-71 starts jamming too fast, honestly I think it'd take at least 2-3 seconds for the pilot to notice the shot, find and flip the music on. Altho, the same could be said for the timing of some other things, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

As for how he knows, one acronym; RWR. As you paint him with your acquisition radar his RWR will show an S inside of a diamond, and he'll hear a beeping sound every few seconds. He'll hear a three tone beep when you acquire him with your targeting radar to let him know that a new radar has found him. Finally, he'll hear a tone when the missile is fired, thus telling him it's time to either evade or turn his music on.

Arkhangelsk made a good question. To NaiseFail: Your RWR description would work perfectly with S-75 or any other system using command guidance (in fact, Vietnamese made a lot of fun simulating step 3 using RPK switch - discussed months ago at the previous forum), but note that S-200 does not emit any specific signal at launch (at least manual says nothing about that), so step 3 is missing. A missile emits KRO signals only as it loses the target, and when everything goes OK the missile position is only calculated by computer, not tracked via missile-mounted beacon.
From player's point of view: antyhing that would suggest to the target that launch moment is closing is the sequence MHI - half-FKM - FKM - MHI (or, I think if you know target's distance precisely enough there's no need to adjust the range using FKM, and you just need to wait at MHI until reflected signal becomes strong enough. For S-200 range, IADS-fed 10-second-old position, or SR-71's some 8 km of flightpath, does not make huge difference). Anyway, even following this track, the launch moment cannot be exactly known to the target.
So, SR-71 should either start jamming at once when you start tracking him, or never.

Hpasp, can you disperse these shadows with your word of enlightenment?

Ah, another bug (rather side-bug). Remember these 'fake launches'? The 'missiles' still emit KRO signals.

#3207245 - 02/14/11 08:50 AM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: vintorez]  
NaiseFail Offline
NaiseFail  Offline

Virginia
Originally Posted By: vintorez

Arkhangelsk made a good question. To NaiseFail: Your RWR description would work perfectly with S-75 or any other system using command guidance (in fact, Vietnamese made a lot of fun simulating step 3 using RPK switch - discussed months ago at the previous forum), but note that S-200 does not emit any specific signal at launch (at least manual says nothing about that), so step 3 is missing. A missile emits KRO signals only as it loses the target, and when everything goes OK the missile position is only calculated by computer, not tracked via missile-mounted beacon.
From player's point of view: antyhing that would suggest to the target that launch moment is closing is the sequence MHI - half-FKM - FKM - MHI (or, I think if you know target's distance precisely enough there's no need to adjust the range using FKM, and you just need to wait at MHI until reflected signal becomes strong enough. For S-200 range, IADS-fed 10-second-old position, or SR-71's some 8 km of flightpath, does not make huge difference). Anyway, even following this track, the launch moment cannot be exactly known to the target.
So, SR-71 should either start jamming at once when you start tracking him, or never.

Ah, another bug (rather side-bug). Remember these 'fake launches'? The 'missiles' still emit KRO signals.

First of all, my bad. When I wrote that I was drawing on my experiences from being shot at in F4 years ago.

Secondly, the KRO signal isn't a bug. You're actually launching missiles, you just don't get a launch sound. Go to Asuluk and intercept a target using the launch bug, you'll shoot it down.

#3207304 - 02/14/11 11:53 AM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: vintorez]  
StartbahnWest Offline
StartbahnWest  Offline

Germany

If you launch the missle with the "v polete" mode, the missle search the target on its own, so the RWR of the S-71 will scream at the pilot, that a missle has been launched. Just remember the saying: Its not a bug, its a feature. biggrin
Edit: jup, looked in the german wikipedia about the S 200, the 5W28 Missle has an active-radar seeker head, so the S-71 will be warned, if you lanch the missle with "V Polete" mode...

Last edited by StartbahnWest; 02/14/11 12:11 PM.
#3207330 - 02/14/11 12:41 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: vintorez]  
Hpasp Offline
Hpasp  Offline

Hungary, Europe

Good conclusions.
thumbsup

The Vega system emits the same signal from target acquisition till the impact of the missile.
RWR can only tell, that you are painted, it will never be able to tell you if a missile is launched against you.
The KRO signals are directed towards the RPC, so its signal may never been received by the target (at the opposite direction).

US had this knowledge (contrary to most of the military flightsim developers), and always assigned AWACS coverage to be able to detect any launch. During Operation Prairie Fire in Libya, this task was fulfilled by the NAVY's AEGIS cruisers.

So when you launch, the AWACS is notifying the SR71 crew.

Hpasp
Free SAM Simulator, "Realistic to the Switch"

(U-2 over Sverdlovsk, B-52's over Hanoi, F-4 Phantoms over the Sinai, F-16's and the F-117A Stealth bomber over the Balkans.)
http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Book from the author - Soviet Nuclear Weapons in Hungary 1961-1991
https://sites.google.com/view/nuclear-weapons-in-hungary/

thumbsup
#3207338 - 02/14/11 12:51 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: StartbahnWest]  
Hpasp Offline
Hpasp  Offline

Hungary, Europe
If you launch the missle with the "v polete" mode, the missle search the target on its own, so the RWR of the S-71 will scream at the pilot, that a missle has been launched. Just remember the saying: Its not a bug, its a feature. biggrin

Just please remember, that the missile will passively search for a signal (emitted by the RPC), and echoed back from the target.
GSN is a receive only device.
yep

Edit: jup, looked in the german wikipedia about the S 200, the 5W28 Missle has an active-radar seeker head, so the S-71 will be warned, if you lanch the missle with "V Polete" mode...

Please, do not quote from Wiki, we are more serious here.
duh

(I really hope, that each of you could correct it)

Last edited by Hpasp; 02/14/11 12:59 PM.

Hpasp

(U-2 over Sverdlovsk, B-52's over Hanoi, F-4 Phantoms over the Sinai, F-16's and the F-117A Stealth bomber over the Balkans.)

thumbsup
#3207349 - 02/14/11 01:06 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: Hpasp]  
vintorez Offline
vintorez  Offline

Quick datalink btw. SR-71 and AWACS, by the way smile Don't you think the delay of a few seconds would seem more realistic?

And now for something completely different - it's a bit surprising that S-200 is not so well suited to kill loitering targets such as AWACS (one of their primary objectives), due to their small tangential speed - switching to FM mode would further reduce the range.
I think "simple" backup command link would vastly have made up for this disadvantage - you see the target, the missile, and you just need to direct the missile to the area where reflection would be strong enough to pick up the contact "v poletie".
Anyway, now I see why in Ashuluk such loitering "snails" (an easy prey for other systems) were served to S-200 crews. I've read that out of the only two-missile salvo ever fired by Poles (Ashuluk, 1987) one of the 5V28s missed due to track being lost for this exact reason (at just 80 km!)

#3207351 - 02/14/11 01:10 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: Hpasp]  
arkhangelsk Offline
arkhangelsk  Offline

Originally Posted By: Hpasp
The Vega system emits the same signal from target acquisition till the impact of the missile.
RWR can only tell, that you are painted, it will never be able to tell you if a missile is launched against you.
The KRO signals are directed towards the RPC, so its signal may never been received by the target (at the opposite direction).

US had this knowledge (contrary to most of the military flightsim developers), and always assigned AWACS coverage to be able to detect any launch. During Operation Prairie Fire in Libya, this task was fulfilled by the NAVY's AEGIS cruisers.

So when you launch, the AWACS is notifying the SR71 crew.

OK ... but them figuring out a missile had launched using a search radar with a mechanical azimuth sweep and notifying the SR-71 and the SR-71 activates jamming before I even hear the rocket fire? jawdrop

#3207355 - 02/14/11 01:16 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: vintorez]  
NaiseFail Offline
NaiseFail  Offline

Virginia
Quick datalink btw. SR-71 and AWACS, by the way smile Don't you think the delay of a few seconds would seem more realistic?

And now for something completely different - it's a bit surprising that S-200 is not so well suited to kill loitering targets such as AWACS (one of their primary objectives), due to their small tangential speed - switching to FM mode would further reduce the range.
I think "simple" backup command link would vastly have made up for this disadvantage - you see the target, the missile, and you just need to direct the missile to the area where reflection would be strong enough to pick up the contact "v poletie".
Anyway, now I see why in Ashuluk such loitering "snails" (an easy prey for other systems) were served to S-200 crews. I've read that out of the only two-missile salvo ever fired by Poles (Ashuluk, 1987) one of the 5V28s missed due to track being lost for this exact reason (at just 80 km!)

You'd think the Russians would've also given the missile the ability to remember it's targets location/flight path and search for it with it's seeker in the event the RPC lost track of the target. Any deviation by the target would probably result in a miss, but it's better than nothing.. And yes, a backup command guidance mode would've been extremely useful.

#3207366 - 02/14/11 01:33 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: Hpasp]  
StartbahnWest Offline
StartbahnWest  Offline

Germany
[...]

[i]Edit: jup, looked in the german wikipedia about the S 200, the 5W28 Missle has an active-radar seeker head, so the S-71 will be warned, if you lanch the missle with "V Polete" mode...

Please, do not quote from Wiki, we are more serious here.
duh

(I really hope, that each of you could correct it)

What? I should mistrust the most serious source of all knowledge in the world? eek biggrin
Okay, thank you for the correction, i will write about the wrong information in the discussion page of the german entry.

Last edited by StartbahnWest; 02/14/11 01:33 PM.
#3207373 - 02/14/11 01:40 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: arkhangelsk]  
Hpasp Offline
Hpasp  Offline

Hungary, Europe
OK ... but them figuring out a missile had launched using a search radar with a mechanical azimuth sweep and notifying the SR-71 and the SR-71 activates jamming before I even hear the rocket fire?

Lazy programming, I will correct it.
sigh

Hpasp

thumbsup
#3207377 - 02/14/11 01:48 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: NaiseFail]  
Hpasp Offline
Hpasp  Offline

Hungary, Europe
You'd think the Russians would've also given the missile the ability to remember it's targets location/flight path and search for it with it's seeker in the event the RPC lost track of the target. Any deviation by the target would probably result in a miss, but it's better than nothing.. And yes, a backup command guidance mode would've been extremely useful.

It is included. After loosing track, the missile will fly ahead, and will try to look for the signal received from the target, as long, as its battery runs out. (You can try it against a practice target, by switching the RPC off-on for few sec. The KRO signal will dissapear, and the missile should try to get the target at least.)

Command guidance would be inaccurate on these ranges, and would make this system more complex and expensive, and the missile even bigger.
(Just remember the S50 Dal, they were thinking about similar system)

Mid course update would make the missile more susceptible against jamming.

Hpasp

thumbsup
#3207401 - 02/14/11 02:10 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: Hpasp]  
vintorez Offline
vintorez  Offline

Command guidance would be inaccurate on these ranges, and would make this system more complex and expensive, and the missile even bigger.

Agreed, but what made S50 project fail, was the active seeker. And of course I was thinking not of a command guidance of accuracy required for radio fuse to work, rather as a support needed to bring back the target into GSN "visibility cone" (which might be many kilometers in diameter, not mentioning its length), just like, mutatis mutandis, in AMRAAM.
By the way, Vega's bigger contemporary, A-350 (known to world as ABM-1) was command-guided, at range up to 350 km. The warhead, of course, was another story... capable of swithing the lights off in whole Moscow district... woot

#3207415 - 02/14/11 02:26 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: Hpasp]  
NaiseFail Offline
NaiseFail  Offline

Virginia

It is included. After loosing track, the missile will fly ahead, and will try to look for the signal received from the target, as long, as its battery runs out. (You can try it against a practice target, by switching the RPC off-on for few sec. The KRO signal will dissapear, and the missile should try to get the target at least.)

I actually just finished two tests.

Test 1 was at Asuluk, results are as follows: Missile launched and radar put on dummy load. I observed the KRO spike, which disappeared when the radar was switched back on, and the target reacquired. The target was successfully intercepted.

Test 2 was in Hungary: Two missiles launched and radar put on dummy load. Missiles self destructed at 60 km distance. This test was to see if I could fire on a long range target and then cease transmission to avoid HARMs. I planned to reacquire the target when the first missile was 20 km away from the target. I suppose this method could work if the target was reacquired every 40-50 km.

#3208135 - 02/15/11 08:36 AM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: NaiseFail]  
Hpasp Offline
Hpasp  Offline

Hungary, Europe
Missile launched and radar put on dummy load.

Just one technical correction.
The RPC has no dummy load, similar to the earlier systems. (There is no ANT/EKV switch)

You just switched the high voltage off.
thumbsup

Hpasp

thumbsup
#3208140 - 02/15/11 08:43 AM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: NaiseFail]  
Hpasp Offline
Hpasp  Offline

Hungary, Europe
Test 2 was in Hungary: Two missiles launched and radar put on dummy load. Missiles self destructed at 60 km distance. This test was to see if I could fire on a long range target and then cease transmission to avoid HARMs. I planned to reacquire the target when the first missile was 20 km away from the target. I suppose this method could work if the target was reacquired every 40-50 km.

It is a good, and doable idea.
thumbsup

Just remember the flight path of the missile (page 39).
If you shot on long range target, you need to illuminate it while the missile is doing its arch over towards the target.

I would assume something between ~30..80s then again before hit.

Last edited by Hpasp; 02/15/11 08:44 AM.

Hpasp

thumbsup
#3208402 - 02/15/11 04:42 PM Re: SR-71 jamming in Operation Giant Reach [Re: vintorez]  
StartbahnWest Offline
StartbahnWest  Offline

Germany
[quote=Hpasp]
[...]
By the way, Vega's bigger contemporary, A-350 (known to world as ABM-1) was command-guided, at range up to 350 km. The warhead, of course, was another story... capable of swithing the lights off in whole Moscow district... woot

Well, i think the time of ABMs with nuclear warheads are over. The Galosh-System was probaply the right thing in the Cold War to intercept a great amount of incoming hostile missles because the probability of a successful interception was not as high as now. Nowaday i think the USA is leading in the development of the ABM-systems, look for example the SM-3 missle, capable to destroy a missle without the use of a high explosive warhead, but with pure kinetic energy.

@Hpasp:
Thank you for your great effort! smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.