Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3206802 - 02/13/11 06:11 PM Clock speed suppression  
1SE_NER Offline
1SE_NER  Offline

USA, Pennsylvania
cool Could there be any long term effects by throttling back a CPU? I'm beginning to have intermittent freezing of LB2. Oddly, it usually occurs at game start, or should I say as I'm transitioning to horizontal flight.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3206824 - 02/13/11 06:33 PM Re: Clock speed suppression [Re: 1SE_NER]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Interesting question. I've always wondered if there would ever be any long-term effects on the hardware when keep limiting it by software.

The only time that I've heard of LB2 freezing at certain points during the game, is on Windows Vista/7 - and is nothing to do with CPU speed - I don't think. Have you got Windows Vista/7? You will likely need to use one of Phoenix's fixes if so. Even if you have XP, it might not hurt to still try the fixes.

Go down to 'Phoenix's Fix' on the below link and read carefully. The latest version of his fixes is at the bottom of those listed. If on XP you may want the first ones.

Be sure to read any readme files that come with the fixes!
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/setup/setup.html

And before you ask, no, they cannot harm your computer. They only work for LB2, when LB2 is running and are easily installed/uninstalled.

#3246050 - 03/25/11 10:01 PM Re: Clock speed suppression [Re: 1SE_NER]  
1SE_NER Offline
1SE_NER  Offline

USA, Pennsylvania
frown confused Well, after several test, what ifs, and replacements, I believe the CPU on my dated rig is worn out. I'm bummed. I can detail all the steps taken later, if anyone is interested. The issue; LB2 freezes the closer I get to the clock speed suppression I had been using for a year, 54% on a 1.4 GHz CPU. Without suppression, the game does not play the same. Can you say little to no yaw? I can induce the momentary freeze-up when I cycle through the FLIR, DTO, DTV. A security package I added, checking for a virus, details nicely the CPU usage and at the height of the freeze-up, 95%, from LB2 and CPU Grab running. How do I retain the machine's integrity if I were to replace the CPU? mad

#3246753 - 03/26/11 02:16 PM Re: Clock speed suppression [Re: 1SE_NER]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Well, if you are really uncertain as to if CPU limiters are damaging your CPU in the long-run, my advice would be to simply stop using them and just play LB2 as best you can without. Yeah, you can say little to no yaw... that's one of my all-time modern system niggles.

I don't know why you get momentary freeze when you cycle between the TADS camera modes, I don't believe I've ever heard of that one. Did you try any of Phoenix's fixes I mentioned in the above post? They should address most stability issues, which this particular one sounds like.

If you can just about get over the yaw issue, you should still be able to limit the game from being stupidly fast by using 3DFX mode and a Glide wrapper that allows you to limit the vertical sync in line with your monitor, which is normally around 60Hz for LCD.

A note about CPU limiters and LB2 - you may find (depending on CPU speed) that you have to limit the CPU so much nowadays to bring it down to LB2's level, that you are in fact strangling the CPU for all the other programs running. I personally do not recommend the usage of a CPU limiter in today's computing, for that very reason. I don't know if your CPU fan is dynamic in that it speeds-up as more demand is placed on the CPU, then slows down when less demad is being asked, but that's how I fundamentally tell how intensive a program or game is. For example, if you play LB2 with no limiter you may find (as I do) that the fan only runs at a moderate speed. If you run LB2 with a limiter, you may find (as I do) that the fan runs at a higher speed when you are conducting the exact same missions, etc. This is the bread-and-butter method of knowing if more demand is being placed on your CPU or not. Also note that most, if not all, CPU limiters were made when only single-core processors were available. Now with all these multi-core processors, I'm not sure exactly how effective CPU limiters even are, assuming you disable all but one core (so as to kind of hack-emulate a single-core processor), and then I don't know what the efficiency is like. So, my advice would be to ditch the CPU limiter, if you have any doubts at all.

#3334120 - 07/03/11 09:36 PM Re: Clock speed suppression [Re: 1SE_NER]  
1SE_NER Offline
1SE_NER  Offline

USA, Pennsylvania
Well, have been through it all: anti virus, virus scans, replacement voodoo graphics card, clean & reinstall XP SP3, CPU, and mother board. Looks like I can't find a way to suppress my CPU (rig is a 1.4 Ghz) to have correct yaw (dodging fast movers) & keep the game from the game freezing. nope I like this game.

#3334430 - 07/04/11 11:32 AM Re: Clock speed suppression [Re: 1SE_NER]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi, thanks for checking-in again. Sorry you've gone to what sounds like an awful lot of trouble in order to try and slowdown your CPU, but quite frankly I could have told you it would be a no-show before you did all that! The only action/component out of the things you list that would make ANY difference to game speed is indeed the CPU. But, given that your PC is in fact XP-era hardware, even that would still technically be too fast.

Possibly the only way to get that CPU speed down 'natively', is to have a Win98SE PC and the hardware of that era, but even then, a lot of people find it hard nowadays to get LB2 to even run on Win98 - which sounds crazy I know.

In a way I'm glad that someone else is having this dreaded yaw issue, as when I first posted about mine, I think people here thought I was nuts or was doing something drastically wrong - and come on, I am the LB2 king! biggrin

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.