Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3201764 - 02/08/11 08:12 AM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
LOL... Calm yourself Jason, I think the thread title refers to unreleased games! wink

Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3201777 - 02/08/11 08:52 AM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
This discussion is soooooo last century. I predicted the death of PC games back in 1995 when the Playstation was launched. OK, alright, that was 15 years ago, but you mark my words sonny Jim ...any... day ... now...

[Linked Image]
#3201787 - 02/08/11 09:12 AM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Honestly I think it sucks more and more to be a PC gamer, with each passing month. No set of gamers gets jacked around as much as PC gamers do.

From DRM schemes that hurt legit players, to digital distributers screwing customers over with pricing and release dates, it's a constant "bend over and take it" for PC gamers. Your choice of digital distributor often effects WHEN you get your game, and how available updates for it will be. Often when you pre-order a game from a digital distributor, you're the last to play it because brick and mortar stores tend to start selling early, while DDs stick strictly to the release dates.

Then you have to take into account compatibility issues with PC games. Then consider the unfair playing field when it comes to playing multiplayer games online. The guy with the multi-thousand dollar gaming rig + top notch controllers and faster internet is going to have a huge advantage. With consoles, people are generally using the same equipment. Different internet connections still matter of course.

Hackers/cheaters much more rampant on PC...

With the PS3/Xbox 360, we've finally reached the point where I would rather play my games on a console. It makes it so easy. When I buy a game, I know it is going to work when I put it in my console. It may be buggy as hell, but I won't have to worry about getting 7 fps on certain graphics settings. It plays at 1920X1080P res with no issues, and that's the max my HDTV/Monitor can run at anyway.

I'm seriously sick of PC gaming, but it is the only place you can play "real" sims. If I could plug in my TrackIR and Thrustmaster Warthog, and play Rise of Flight and Cliffs of Dover on my Xbox 360 or PS3, I would do so in a heartbeat. As long as they weren't dumbed down of course.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3201801 - 02/08/11 09:37 AM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
That's it, the likes of Sony dont want anything to dowith the likes of us, you are struggling to get a bare bones joystick to work let alone any thing exotic like a keyboard/ mouse combo, TrackIR, yer what??? I think there will always be gamers that want more than simplistic shooters and gamepads, god I hate gamepads, damn buttons are too small, too close together, stupid bloody shape! Damn I hope PC games dont disappear wink

Cheers
Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3201812 - 02/08/11 10:20 AM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
Doogerie Offline
Doogerie  Offline

I disagre that this will be one of the last Pc games. but pc gameing is changing in the nere future i can see Google and Mac becoming the two big boys in the world of OS (oprating systems) you only have to look at the phone market to see this happening I assume that most people here have an I phone/pad/pod or an Android phone/Pad .Googel is bringing out a OS called hunnycombe that will be optimsed for pads the next step will ofcourse be a PC OS. Looking at games I think that most of them will be on somthing like the Android market place we can see this already with Steam. So no the PC games will not die but thay will along with the rest of the indestry change in a big way within the next 5 years.also i can see Microsoft makeing loss becaus of the Googel OS. so to sum up PC gameingis changing as is the IT market it is avery exciting time for Gamers and IT pros everywhere strap in and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Doogerie; 02/08/11 10:26 AM.
#3201823 - 02/08/11 11:12 AM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
This is how Hitler got started, people took his paranoid delusions seriously

no one going to buy it because it's not all they thought it should be

You see some uninformed whining and complaining in a flight-sim forum and you think that these people are the majority so you're joining them?

Good grief. Please do not join the virtual RAF in Oleg's Battle of Britain where your kind of backbone will not be required Smile2

could produce something astounding

But of course. And then it will be fashionable to say that one knew all the time that it would be wonderful and not at all 'cartoony'

They said that about EAW too and where are they now. Oh there you are, hello Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#3201919 - 02/08/11 02:15 PM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Quote:
Please do not join the [snip] Battle of Britain where your kind of backbone will not be required.

As an American, I accept.

But we'd like the option to join in the effort a little later on if it's okay. In the meantime, please accept our shipments of SPAM and petrol, as well as a sincere offer to babysit any children you might want to take a holiday from your current difficulties.

It would be hilarious if they included an American campaign. Select it and one gets a vignette of a fellow sitting in a movie theatre watching a newsreel.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3201924 - 02/08/11 02:20 PM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Dart]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dart
Quote:
Please do not join the [snip] Battle of Britain where your kind of backbone will not be required.

As an American, I accept.

But we'd like the option to join in the effort a little later on if it's okay. In the meantime, please accept our shipments of SPAM and petrol, as well as a sincere offer to babysit any children you might want to take a holiday from your current difficulties.

It would be hilarious if they included an American campaign. Select it and one gets a vignette of a fellow sitting in a movie theatre watching a newsreel.

Petrol and spam shipments would be gratefully recieved by anybody in the UK right now smile

#3202036 - 02/08/11 04:01 PM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
This topic has been rehashed constantly since the eighties....and gets brought up every few years..more so now....

Most people buy their games from Steam etc....no it isn't the end of PC gaming....a big rise in indy developers seems to be the case at the moment...you will also have companies like Battlefront, Matrix, HPS sims etc to release those games that have a niche market...

The only way PC gaming will die is if ATI and Nvidea ......can't shift there new graphics cards so stop producing\developing them...we could be in trouble then..However ATI and Nvidia are massive players do you think they will let market forces totally ruin their business...I don't. I'm damn sure there is a massive PC consumer market out there...it's just that they download their games these days...

So again it isn't the end of anything...hardcore FPS gamers etc will always go for the PC as a console soon pales into comparison after a year or so after release...especially graphically...

#3202040 - 02/08/11 04:07 PM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
anon
Unregistered

The only way pc gaming will ever die is when the pc itself dies, period. Any other event leaves a gap in the market which in a free market economy (not sure I'm using the correct phrase there) will be taken advatage of by somebody.

#3202122 - 02/08/11 05:36 PM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
evo6tme Offline
evo6tme  Offline

cheam
For all you that think pc gaming is dead read this

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2010/04/19/hear-that-knocking-sound-its-pc-gaming/

Even i was suprised ...

2500k @4.4ghz
asus p8p67
8GB gskill
gigabyte hd 7950@1100,1425
creative x-fi music
corsair xt850
silverstone fortress
trackir 4
thrustmaster cougar
saitek rudder peddels

#3202164 - 02/08/11 06:05 PM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
Hackl Offline
Hackl  Offline

Kelowna, BC,Canada
Who want's to have a little knob under their thumb instead of a stick..NOT ME!! I want my pedals under my feet. I want my CH throttle in my hand. I don't want to feel like I'm wrestling with a little electrical appliance when I'm flying my 109. How stupid!!

#3202496 - 02/08/11 11:15 PM Re: this be the last real PC game? [Re: Slingn]  
Slingn Offline
Slingn  Offline

Ok, lets be clear. I didn't say that there would be no new pc games, just that that the real PC games are now few and far in between. Think about it, in the fps market, we have BF2 with 64 players, big open maps, aircraft. With bfbc2 you got 32 players and those were jammed on maps made for 1/2 that. With call of duty BO, you get 18 players max. Why is this? it keeps going down. Is it that they are no more than console games ported to the pc? At least they say we'll get back to 64 players with BF3, so hopefully that will be good, but we'll see.

Yes, there are real PC games out there. I don;t do roll playing games, so i didn't even think about them. maybe I should.

I love ROF Jason, and yes, i consider it "real" PC game. But was wop a real pc game, and does anyone play it? I really liked the way it looked, but it wasn't too deep. And when i tried to play it online, i see only a couple games and those are arcade settings.

yes, this has been discussed since the consoles took off. But hey, it's waht we do in game forums isn't it? Some say it hasn't changed anything, but look at those games i mentioned above and it's pretty obvious it has. Yes we do get the games on the pc, but are they really 'real" pc games? If you can see the difference there, you understand my point. I think it's getting worse, and I'm worried that the games I like most are the ones that we're losing the fastest. Why spend all the time and money to make a highly detailed flight sim for a small market, when you can make a millions off some cookie cutter grade school shooter?

I am truly thankful that guys like Jason and 777, and Maddox still seem to have a passion for it, and the willingness to put the time, effort, and money into something that they know will not draw a huge market like shooters do. I guess I'm a bit miffed by the lack of appreciation, and this anticipation of failure attitude that some promote around here. We can't afford it, and that's just not the flight sim crowd i remember, so excuse me if I get a bit pissy sometimes.

Last edited by Slingn; 02/08/11 11:16 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.