Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3193291 - 01/30/11 05:14 PM Query on Leo Bodnar panels  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I feel like an idiot just finding out about this, but better late than never, eh? I just got a really bad nerdgasm there and can't wait to build my very own pit with more buttons than I'd care to push!

Anyway, has anyone worked with his BU0836X? How hard/easy is it to work with? How does it interface with Win 7 64-bit? How many BU0836Xs can I connect to the PC? Any problems with more than one BU0836X? Has anyone experienced a borked (failed) BU0836X?

I am hoping to build a UFC, a AHCP, some radio panels, and some electrical-switch panels (most often used panels during startup, fence in/out, and such), are these possible with the BU0836X?

I'm planning to set this up with a DCS A-10 cockpit so I would like to be able to operate a few switches without having to reach for my mouse. Mr. Bodnar also has a few other items for sale, but two of them look like it's for joysticks (I'm happy enough with my warthog), two shift-light indicators (I'm not racing, so...), one adaptor, and one load cell something-or-other. Anyone knows what use this load cell is?

Finally, for those builders in the UK, can you point me to where I can buy switches and rotaries to "populate" my pit?

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3193322 - 01/30/11 06:11 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
Origin_Freedom Offline
Origin_Freedom  Offline

Juneau,Alaska
hello ICE, chat with Viperpits or SCSimulations, The Helios software for your gauges and switches..Good luck, Jim
P.S. Viperpits has many users in UK!!!

Last edited by Origin_Freedom; 01/30/11 06:13 PM.
#3193351 - 01/30/11 06:36 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Hi Ice,

I have two BU0836Xs in my pit. I am using Windows7 64bit with no issues at all. I did not think to ask to have the HID names to be different but if you buy more than one do ask to have them named differently as it makes it easier to identify which controller is which when programing buttons, etc. Windows assigns them in the order they are plugged in and they both work. The X version is really really easy to use, just push the tab down and insert your wires, the button matrix is already done for you. I also use the hat switch inputs to have 8 buttons each rather then using a hat so I have 40 buttons per board. You can also share the ground on all buttons (and there is debate that you can share axis' grounds also but I did not need to). The second board that I purchased did not work when it arrived but a flash program sent to me by Leo fixed it right up and has been working great since.

I use the boards with SVMapper to simulate toggle switches, I can flip up a toggle and instead of having a repeating key, SVMapper only sends one signal and then another signal when you flip the toggle back down (landing gear, etc). The two together work very well. There are several other programs out there that do as well or better but SVMapper was free. Leo also has instructions on how to make rotory switches work and a small program is availible on his website.

As to Joysticks, the BU0836X has 8 Axis so you can indeed build your own joystick (like I did) but you can also use them to make trim levers, etc. Anything that needs an axis can be adapted to work with the boards.

I am not familiar with load cells in simpit but I assume you can use one to build a force sensing joystick (ala Sietek X65).

As far as switches, etc the most popular store in the UK that I have heard of is Maplin, a national electronic component store over there. Many of the UK folks who build motion platforms have mentioned it.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/store-locator

Hope this helps

David

F/A-18C Hornet cockpit build project:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=15.0
#3193363 - 01/30/11 06:45 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: Origin_Freedom]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Origin_Freedom
hello ICE, chat with Viperpits or SCSimulations, The Helios software for your gauges and switches..Good luck, Jim

You just lost me there, buddy. I am familiar with SCSimulations and Helios, but that is for gauges and touch-screen monitors. Correct me if I'm wrong but building my own setup with plywood and switches and such is not only cheaper but is actually better as far as tactile feel is concerned. Don't get me wrong, Helios is awesome as to showing gauges on a different screen, in fact, I plan to have it display my engine gauges and HSI/ADI, etc., but as for the AHCP, nothing beats flicking an actual switch. If my TM Warthog has taught me anything, it's fun flicking switches.

I'll look up Viperpits though, but my Google-skills are weak so if you can clarify your post, that would be great.

- Ice
#3193384 - 01/30/11 07:00 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Excellent input there PropNut! I will remember to tell Leo to name them differently when I order them. Like I said, I am aiming to build an A-10 cockpit with this so it's just basically 2- or 3-way switches and some rotaries that I need, so I may convert that "hat" switch to buttons as well. How many "buttons" can one board create? You said 40 but is that the max or is that just how much/ how many you needed? Also, if I have a 3-way switch like maybe a Master Arm switch that has an off, safe, and arm mode, does that use up 3 buttons? I ask because I assume that a 2-way switch like a laser on switch can just use one button that is on/off.

I am not familiar with ground so I am lost with that part of your explanation.

Finally, can the board work with rotary knob switches like that on radio panels (ie, OFF, TR, RCV)?

- Ice
#3193415 - 01/30/11 07:46 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
load cell something-or-other.

BU0836LC with Load Cell support is intended for Racing Sim Controller, to handle brake pedal.

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836-LC/LCwires.jpg

You can hook just one Load Cell, so not much useful for Aircraft Simmers...

Notice that if you order BU and another accessories, the price drop. smile

Sokol1

#3193471 - 01/30/11 08:48 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
Origin_Freedom Offline
Origin_Freedom  Offline

Juneau,Alaska
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Originally Posted By: Origin_Freedom

You just lost me there, buddy. I am familiar with SCSimulations and Helios, but that is for gauges and touch-screen monitors. Correct me if I'm wrong but building my own setup with plywood and switches and such is not only cheaper but is actually better as far as tactile feel is concerned. Don't get me wrong, Helios is awesome as to showing gauges on a different screen, in fact, I plan to have it display my engine gauges and HSI/ADI, etc., but as for the AHCP, nothing beats flicking an actual switch. If my TM Warthog has taught me anything, it's fun flicking switches.

I'll look up Viperpits though, but my Google-skills are weak so if you can clarify your post, that would be great.

Hello ICE, Helios will control your Physical switches and gauges as well. An Interface from your boards to the Sim, Helios can do it too, Ask for info from FLIM or Gadroc on SCSims!!! Sorry if I caused confusion here!!! Also It is viperpits.org you want. Much respect for your build, Jim

#3193519 - 01/30/11 09:41 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: Origin_Freedom]  
Origin_Freedom Offline
Origin_Freedom  Offline

Juneau,Alaska
We are aiming to do our pits with easily available off the shelf electronics (Phidgets stepper & lighting boards, Pokey55T, Leo Bodnar boards, possibly Open Cockpit etc..) Anything we use will be fully integrated into Helios as well. This should make it pretty easy for anyone to replicate.

Helios knows how to send key presses and/or commands and read information out of Falcon (Open & Allied Forces), DCS Black Shark, DCS A-10C and Flaming Cliffs 2. We will be looking to continue to add more simulations over time.

Basically the input chain will look like this....

1) Wire switch to IO Board
2) Create Helios profile which has IO Board and simulation in it
3) Use Helios to bind button press or switch to actions in profile and simulation

Outputs are just reversed...
1) Helios reads state of the simulation
2) Helios translates that into gauge movements
3) Helios sends commands to IO boards to move motors / servos.

A quote from SCSIMS , cheers, Jim, go get them ICE.....

#3193637 - 01/31/11 12:19 AM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Origin, you don't have to sell me on Helios buddy. I've used the Beta and it rawks! I'm just waiting to see if I have any more blow money this month. And I didn't know Helios could do panels, I just thought it did touchscreen commands and gauge display.

However, will I even need Helios though? Won't my PC see my boards and I can map controls to them via the in-game (DCS A10) keymapper?

- Ice
#3193652 - 01/31/11 12:57 AM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
Gadroc Offline
Gadroc  Offline

Ice that depends on what you want to do and the simulation. There are potential limitations with the in-game mapper. First in game mappers usually only support Direct X and many direct X input devices only support 32 buttons (although Direct X has support for up to 128). For example if you have a two position switch you have two ways to wire it. One is to wire both positions as direct x buttons so DirectX sees button 1 pushed when up and button 2 press when down. In this case the in-game mapper works fine, but requires a input button/pin for every switch position. Some games have problems with this because of the button being held down some handle it fine.

The second way to wire it so only position one is a direct x button. On the computer position one will look like button 1 pressed and position two will be button one not pressed. This mean you only need half as many input boards, but the in game mappers usually don't allow for detecting the release of a button to do something different than the press of it. So you end up using software like Helios or SVMapper to handle it and translate to something else.

There are a couple advantages to Helios over SVMapper or other pure joystick mapping solutions which may or may not apply to your scenario:

1) Helios has more advanced integration to the simulations it supports. For Falcon we parses your keyfile so it knows what your current keyboard mappings so you don't have to worry about going back into Helios after changing key commands in game. For DCS we don't use the keyboard at all for cockpit controls so you never have to worry about the key commands.

2) Helios aims to be the only application you need to start besides your simulation. Load all of your virtual gauges, joystick and IO mappings with one profile change.

#3193715 - 01/31/11 02:15 AM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
Origin_Freedom Offline
Origin_Freedom  Offline

Juneau,Alaska
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Origin, you don't have to sell me on Helios buddy. I've used the Beta and it rawks! I'm just waiting to see if I have any more blow money this month. And I didn't know Helios could do panels, I just thought it did touchscreen commands and gauge display.

However, will I even need Helios though? Won't my PC see my boards and I can map controls to them via the in-game (DCS A10) keymapper?

Hello ICE,never was I trying to sell you anything. just gave you what I know as best advice...It is all up to you what you decide!!AS you are, I am building my pit as well, what works for me may not work for you!!! Just sharing my INFO...Go for it, cheers, Jim oops

#3194507 - 01/31/11 08:09 PM Re: Query on Leo Bodnar panels [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

No worries there Jim. biggrin

Gadroc, I think I understand what you are saying, though I would have to actually physically do it first to appreciate it.

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.