Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3189559 - 01/26/11 05:33 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit ***** [Re: choowy]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Hi Gryphon, can, at least for my situation, answer that question. I use toggle switches in my pit which would normally send a repeated character. I use a program that interprets the button as pushed once and then sends the signal again when the switch is flipped back to its original place (to turn it off). I forget the name of the program off the top of my head but when I get home I can grab it and post it if you like. It is a freeware program.

F/A-18C Hornet cockpit build project:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=15.0
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3189568 - 01/26/11 05:40 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: PropNut]  
GryphonTA Offline
GryphonTA  Offline

Would really appreciate that... I wanted to use toggles as well... same problem. Good to know there is a software solution out there so that I don't have to try to wire up relays and such to do it in hardware.

Thanks,
George

#3189572 - 01/26/11 05:47 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
I am going to feel silly later for not remembering the name.... Londo

#3189690 - 01/26/11 07:56 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
Wizard43 Offline
Wizard43  Offline

Canada
Is the name of the program SVMapper?

#3189702 - 01/26/11 08:11 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
(in a small voice) yes...SVMapper is indeed the program....sheesh, I get older and more forgetful every day. nope

#3189759 - 01/26/11 09:01 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Hi Gryphon, thanks.

Yes you are correct, although I cheated on those couple of controls. Its a 3 position rotary with the centre position (not marked) as the switched contact so as you go from "terrain" to "vector" you only momentarily make the contact.

There are as Propnut pointed out some programs that let you set up toggles as momentary which makes it very easy. As I only had a couple I found this way easy.

Here's a link on another way to do it using small relays. Toggle A little more complicated.

#3189808 - 01/26/11 09:43 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

#3192645 - 01/29/11 09:35 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Thanks Sokol1, good resources. Certainly a better result than using relays.

#3225886 - 03/06/11 03:11 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: Valisk_61]  
Lipfert Offline
Lipfert  Offline

Ayr, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Valisk_61
Originally Posted By: Lipfert
Also, you really need to develop technique to deal with internal stress in the plexiglass sheet. For a 1/4" panel we'd start at 3/8" and using "good" quality double sided tape keep machining small cuts and flip the panels alot (important to release internal stress and give you a flat panel before you router out the wire paths). Water based coolant flow will keep the heat down.

If you use cast acrylic instead of plexi, there's less need to worry about stress buildup, it machines really nicely. No need for flood cooling either if you keep the cuts nice and light.

Choowy, if you ever decide to go down the backlit/edgelit route - it'd be worth getting a quote from one of the many CNC shops offering their services online. I've found the prices to be far more accessible than I thought they would be.

Hey Wasp! That thing looks awesome - I bet there's a real sense of occasion when you climb into the pilots seat!

EDIT: Formatting

Valisk,

We didn't have the option to substitute material, it was as per specification supplied by the customer. Also we were working to tight tolerances, since it was to be mounted in aircraft.

I know I've used cast aluminum, although I can't for the life of me remember what the parts were headed. Didn't like it much though.

JG1 Lipfert - Jagdgeschwader 1 "Fritz Schmenkel" "Oesau" "Richthofen"
#3225891 - 03/06/11 03:19 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: f15sim]  
Lipfert Offline
Lipfert  Offline

Ayr, Ontario
Originally Posted By: Gene Buckle
@Lipfert: I don't create individual lamp cavities or wire channels. I machine the whole interior out down to a depth of .2" (given a .25" thick panel). A typical Type 5 panel consists of a fully machined panel with a very thin PCB lamp board that screws to it. The first panel I built along the Type 5 lines did use lamp pockets - you can see what I did here:
http://www.f15sim.com/pre_blog_news-1.html

@Choowy: Is there a way you could post a pic of the Mech cockpit with you or someone else standing next to it? It would help in getting idea of how large it is beyond a simple measurement. smile

g.

Gene,

Fine looking panel, some of the ones we used to build were a real pain to assemble. Our main goal was to filter the visible light into a spectrum that would not blind the NVG user. We could have 0% leakage and each lamp bore had a light filter glued into the bottom, with various masking & painting taking place during the process. Finally we would lay epoxy into the back of the panel, then do a final machining to specified tolerance.

We had many steps that if we messed up we had a paper weight on our hands.

JG1 Lipfert - Jagdgeschwader 1 "Fritz Schmenkel" "Oesau" "Richthofen"
#3624165 - 08/10/12 11:28 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
About time this topic was resurrected. Hey Choowy, how did it turn out?

Just want to let you know that I am stealing...er....borrowing heavily from your build for my new Mechpit (Mechwarrior Online should be in open BETA sometime this fall and I want to be ready).

Mine in a framework covered in panels and has more facets...and has a rear clamshell door, and is larger..but it is absolutely inspired by your build.

#3624177 - 08/10/12 11:56 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Hey Propnut, cheers. Its pretty much as it was last year, I didn't complete the targeting comp but may add it in now if there's interest.

I added a couple of interior lights also. There's one or two other non functional things I was going to throw in for effect. I also added some radio chatter that comes on as it boots up and runs for a while i the background as the game plays.

Feel free to borrow any ideas you want, I'm glad somebody else can get some benefit. Will you post your build? It would be great to see what others may come up with for this game.

MWO is gaining a lot of interest and may spawn a new generation of Sim builders.

I'll try to get some more updates posted.

#3624192 - 08/11/12 12:18 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Yes, I plan on posting my build. As a matter of fact the framework is cut (CNC) and assembled and I CNC cut the chair as well. I am borrowing the rough design from your seat as a matter of fact but since the seat rolls out the back of the mechpit it has to be slightly different. I CNC cut those parts out today and assembled the seat as well.

I would love to see any work you have done on your mechpit.

#3635834 - 08/31/12 05:38 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
Kahlid74 Offline
Kahlid74  Offline

Milwaukee, Wi
Glad to see this thread got resurrected as I've got a few questions for you Choowy.

Like Prop above I'm currently building a simpit but mine will be quite different from either of yours. My inspiration came from the pods of old, specifically the Virtual World 2.5/3.0 pods that FASA allowed people to play in during the 90's. See picture below:

I've got a bunch of the panels from these pods and I'll be building some of the likeness in them but I'll also be using a bunch of your designs for immersion as you've got serious skills when it comes to design/innovation and creativity for pod immersion. One of the main differences with my pod versus the standard VR2.5/3.0 pods will be I'll be using three monitors on a mechanized platform that moves towards the pilot once the door is closed. Kind of unfolds if you will (built several arcade machines with rotating monitors so I'll use the same mechanical principles here)

So onto my questions if you get a moment:
1). You talked earlier in your thread about paint but I was hoping you could go into greater detail about how you were able to achieve the plastic type look/feel with paint? I chose plywood over MDF for a few different reasons but my plywood is sanded, which works very well at hiding the grain (done it before with arcade machines, no visible diff versus MDF). So I was hoping you could indulge me in your process, the parts used and how many passes it took you.
2). Where did you get the stencils for your interior lettering? I don't remember seeing it posted in the thread but maybe I missed it.
3). When posted my build on the arcade forums I frequent, I would post links to this thread and to you for certain ideas and I wanted to be sure you were all cool with that.

Thanks,
Ulric

#3636118 - 09/01/12 06:30 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Hi Ulric, happy to answer your questions and good luck with your build, sounds promising.

The painting wasn't anything too complicated, for the exterior it was just an undercoat of water based paint then several coats of a satin finish water based paint. I would recommend using a roller to get an even finish, is used a small 4" foam roller.

I would generally aim for 3 coats with maybe a light sand between.

For the weathering it was as described, just a dry brush technique with some silver.

The individual items if made from timber were undercoated with a Matt paint to fill the grain and any defects then sanded down. I did spray some of the components depending on the finish I was looking for.

The seat was mainly sprayed with cheap ($3) cans in satin black. The speed controller was sprayed also.

The stickers on the various panels were printed on a di sub thermal printer and I made them on MS Paint.

The panels were drawn up on Visio and then printed on a laser printer on thick paper. Once applied over the panel it was sprayed with a Tamiya Matt clear lacquer for protection.

No probs with the link, happy to pass on any info where I can help. Good luck, 2 new MW pits on the go at the same time!!

#3636577 - 09/02/12 06:53 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Just working on a couple of things that I didn't get finished off last year, nothing functional just more things I had lying around to fill up blank areas.

How to turn this:

Into a Halon Fire unit.

Car phone kit speaker, add a threaded fitting and 2 90 degree pvc conduit bends.

Add a manifold block.

2 aluminium water flasks

Mounting screw holes are counter bored to accept a non functional allen head bolt. This will cover the actual timber screw, just looks better.

A coat of grey spray paint.

Some paint effects and stickers.............

and there you go, another space filled up.

Last edited by choowy; 09/02/12 07:38 AM.
#3641050 - 09/09/12 06:51 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Choowy, your work is just amazing... notworthy You inspire me to add a bunch of new details to my pit. When will I find time to actually play if you keep giving me ideas? It's your fault... all your fault! Evil... just evil. cheers

Keep up the great work!
Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
#3641075 - 09/09/12 08:59 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Hey Dud, long time no see! I'd forgotten about the Dudley Simpit, quite amazing in its design and functionality . I just dropped over to your site to see where you are at with it, I have to say that is a very nice project, well done. The backlighting looks great and the panels turned out brilliantly.

Sorry to distract you with my extras, it just sits in the workshop now but Propnut resurrected the thread so I felt obliged to add the last couple of things I had planned. I have an MFD style panel to complete and that's it for me.

There's some nice work going on with more Mech pits too.

#3641232 - 09/09/12 04:00 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Very nice, choowy! Your creativity always impresses.

#3645253 - 09/16/12 04:25 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
MrLe Offline
MrLe  Offline

choowy thanks for not hiding this build from the world cause you've motivated me to build one. I'll fit it into my one bedroom apartment who needs furniture anyway lol. your paint job is excellent how did you paint it? I'm guessing you have a spray booth of some sort. Also where did you get the paint is it wall paint from home depot or something?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.