Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3185519 - 01/22/11 12:45 AM LB2 and Win7: God save the Queen!  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
Well, not the Queen in the conventional sense, but one of her Majesty's finest...

Since Flyboy is too quiet and shy to ask for help, Im starting this thread for him.
Apparently his system configuration is set up for Windows7 on a dual2core rig.
The problem is that he loses throttle control and the yaw rate is slow too.
Personally speaking, I think hes out of control, but we are assured its the computer.
popcorn

Can anyone with a Win7 configuration chime in and let us know if LB2 works or not,
and if you had any special things you had to do to make it work, give us a synopsis
and help out the young braa... err... brit?
help

Flyboyz config:

Laptop:
* 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
* 4GB DDR2 RAM
* 512 MB ATI Radeon HD3670 (dedicated)
* Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (started with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, LB2's yaw was the same then, as far as I remember)
* DirectX 11
* Logitech Attack3 USB Joystick (no custom software)

LB2:
* Installed using Daemon-Tools method
* My Windows Vista/7 Fix (pre-installed patch and DDU, CA.INI fix)
* 3DFX mode using dgVoodoo 1.50 Beta (setup more or less as... see below)
- http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/dgsetup.jpg
- http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/dgsetup2.jpg
* Phoenix's Last Fix (for stability)

Again, thank you for helping out our buddy across the big pond.
I only have crappy WinXP and Vista and they work, so I cant help him much with Win7.
mycomputer

AV8R
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3185526 - 01/22/11 12:55 AM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Haha, you think anyone is really gonna come forward with answers? Dude, I get loads of e-mails asking me the exact same things you're asking to have answered for ME. And I can't give people the answers because I don't know them!

#3185527 - 01/22/11 12:57 AM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: Flyboy]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
To qoute Darth Vader...

"Your lack of faith, is disturbing"

AV8R
#3185530 - 01/22/11 01:00 AM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Keep on-topic!

#3185531 - 01/22/11 01:02 AM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
"dude.."

love it when hodads across the pond use California surf-ish

There may be hope yet. Knarly.

AV8R
#3185540 - 01/22/11 01:21 AM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
I would also like to fix this annoying little side-issue. The front view 2D cockpit (F1) is broken (see below) and my side views from the cockpit (F2, F3) only have the IHADSS symbology and no cockpit 2D art.

This issue occurs in dgVoodoo v1.50 Beta and Beta 2. It happens when I set the Renderer API to Direct3D7 under the Global tab of the dgVoodoo settings program. It gets fixed when I change it to Direct3D9 but then I get the debrief screen crash to desktop. So, I either have a perfect 2D cockpit and crash, or this damn thing (above) and no crash. Generally for singleplayer I like to have the cockpit fixed, but for multiplayer I have to use it broken so as to not crash everyone elses game at the end of each mission - thus potentially deleting everyone's mission score and having to re-connect all over again.

#3188052 - 01/24/11 11:23 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

I can think of a couple of areas to investigate:

1. What do you have set up in your desktop settings for your 3D graphics?
For example, are all the 3D settings application controlled by default,
or do you have settings applied specifically for the LB2.exe?

Reason being, if you have settings set from the desktop that conflict with
what you have set with either the DgVoodoo wrapper or what the came can handle,
then you might not be able fix it otherwise.

2. DgVoodoo wrapper settings
Have you tried changing checkboxes on the DgVoodoo wrapper Glide page?
Its tiresome, but change one box at a time and go back into LB2 and see the affect.
Maybe one feature will make it work right for you in DX7. Or try again in DX9.

Otherwise, I personally would go for the correct 2D graphics and to heck with the
briefing. Just make sure the Host discos first, then the other players, then you.
You will likely need voice comms up to do this correctly.

AV8R
#3188624 - 01/25/11 04:28 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: Flyboy]  
The Nephilim Online tunes
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Online Tunes
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Haha, you think anyone is really gonna come forward with answers? Dude, I get loads of e-mails asking me the exact same things you're asking to have answered for ME. And I can't give people the answers because I don't know them!

Well I have Win 7 64 Bit and it appears to be working with some CTD's sometimes?? I just installed LB2 then the Win 7 patch, works ok..

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#3188688 - 01/25/11 05:36 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi The Nephilim, welcome to the these forums. If you go to my 'Setup/Tweaks' page at my LB2 site (linked below) and get the 'Phoenix's Last Fix As Promised', that should stop the crashes. When and where do you get the crashes? If it is like I assume, that fix should fix the issue.

Alternatively, if you are using 3DFX mode and the dgVoodoo glide wrapper, and have the Renderer API in the settings program on Direct3D9 - that will also cause a CTD after each mission and so far cannot be fixed. The only way to fix this is by changing the Renderer API to Direct3D7.

http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/setup/setup.html

#3188875 - 01/25/11 09:28 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
He is using the dgVoodoo wrapper. We set it to Direct X 7 due to the age of the game. Also using that massive several hundred MB Windows 7 download linked on your site, which did get the sim to run but as Neph said, with the game freeze.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3188977 - 01/25/11 10:46 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
My Windows Vista/7 download is 'massive' because it is basically just the LB2 install folder, patched and tweaked. And as Neph said he installed LB2 with no fuss - he may not even have needed it!

OK so as he's using dgVoodoo and the D3D7 option, I can only recommend the Phoenix fix that I mentioned earlier. If that fails, I for one don't know where to go from there - except perhaps backtrack through Phoenix's fixes and see if an older one works. They are listed on that page above, from oldest to newest - going from top to bottom.

Eugene - how is your yaw now? Did you see the state of my yaw in that video I posted in the other thread?

#3189047 - 01/25/11 11:46 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
He did need it - it was a big help and enabled his install to run. I am not clear though on whether he ended up instlaling +G's tiny Windows Compatability fix or not. Or whether it is even needed for Win 7 or XP.

I haven't flown again since that evening, so don't know whether the yaw was a momentary glitch or a life threatening outrage visited upon me by dark forces.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3189049 - 01/25/11 11:51 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
If you'd actually read what I said in an earlier post, I told you that +G's fix is not the way to go as it is now obsolete. Neph would want to try Phoenix's fix(es). Also, yes, they are made for XP/Vista/7 so if he has Win7 he would most certainly need it - but not +G's one.

Don't make me have to shout at you like I do with AV8R! smile

#3189699 - 01/26/11 08:02 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

I wonder what are the differences on Win7 in that LB2 is working for Phoenix and not for Flyboy.
It could be so many things
- Video drivers
- DgVoodoo settings
- Win7 video desktop application settings
- hardware differences
- controller differences
to name a few

Until these two LB2 users work together methodically, we may never know.

AV8R
#3190040 - 01/27/11 01:58 AM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
I just ignore your more obnoxious comments and write it off to poor upbringing or being bullied a lot as a kid.
By the way, you may not have picked up on the part where I already had responded to your suggestion that he use Phoenix' fix. "He did need it." My comment was hidden though, tucked away obscurely as the first sentence in the post... biggrin

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3190042 - 01/27/11 02:00 AM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Originally Posted By: AV8R

I wonder what are the differences on Win7 in that LB2 is working for Phoenix and not for Flyboy.
- Video drivers
- DgVoodoo settings
- hardware differences
- controller differences
to name a few

True. However, I am more interested in Neph getting trouble free - only immediately obvious issue is the freeze he experienced.
Also, one difference between both of them and Phoenix is that Phoenix is using +G's compatability fix, whether he needs to or not. Doubt that would be affecting much but in the interest of data, there it is.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3190320 - 01/27/11 01:54 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Originally Posted By: AV8R
- Video drivers
- DgVoodoo settings
- hardware differences
- controller differences
to name a few

Well I doubt myself and Phoenix will ever 'work together' as he said he is done with fixing up LB2 and he's not around much now anyhow. I also have no long-term interest in making LB2 perfect again as times are indeed moving on and I'll no doubt have some sort of issue every time Windows moves forwards. I don't wish to dedicate my life to this small - but never ending - saga. Obviously if I was THAT bothered about these issues then I'd just go out, buy XP, and dual-boot. As much as I adore LB2 you have to draw a line somewhere, and just admit defeat. If dgVoodoo had kept on updating his wrapper that would surely have solved most graphical issues, as Windows 7/DirectX 11 now utilizes Direct3D10 - and the wrapper only uses D3D7 and D3D9.

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I just ignore your more obnoxious comments and write it off to poor upbringing or being bullied a lot as a kid.
By the way, you may not have picked up on the part where I already had responded to your suggestion that he use Phoenix' fix. "He did need it." My comment was hidden though, tucked away obscurely as the first sentence in the post... biggrin

I sincerely hope that first line was said with humorous intent. If it was not, in my book that crosses the very fine line that AV8R has drawn but so far never stepped over with his sarcastic remarks. I know when he is messing with me but up until now I've never had to 'deal' with you.

True. However, I am more interested in Neph getting trouble free - only immediately obvious issue is the freeze he experienced.
Also, one difference between both of them and Phoenix is that Phoenix is using +G's compatability fix, whether he needs to or not. Doubt that would be affecting much but in the interest of data, there it is.

Why do you think that Phoenix is also using +G's fix? I'm sure he used that as a foundation for his own fixes but as far as I know he's not using it AS WELL AS his fix. Also, I didn't know you could use TWO fixes simultaneously. I thought that one overwrite the other - the last installed overwriting the first installed?

#3190708 - 01/27/11 08:06 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: Flyboy]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
My mistake! It is Punisher not Phoenix using that among the other Win7 fixes.

PS I got tired of your sarcasm, misplaced that last time so replied in kind with a biggrin which is a big grin to indicate smiling not anger.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3190710 - 01/27/11 08:07 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
FLYBOY's SITE:
Here is some info from SimHQ member The Punisher...

"I'm running LB2 on Win7. I was using PriFinity to set LB2 to 1 processor to help slowing it down. However, I still had random CTDs. As per Flyboy's recomendations (and against my will, I hate installing unnecessary windows stuff unless it's application specifics) I installed the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit and LB2 fix.

After that I couldn't use Prifinity anymore (everytime I launched LB2, I got an explorer.exe crash). I'm using WinLaunchXP to set and launch LB2 using 1 processor and it's running fine now.

This is what I have:
LB2 installed and patched using Flyboy's Win7 fix (on this forum)
CA.ini fix
Application Compatibility Toolkit
WinLaunchXP

everything working great. Thanks a lot to Flyboys for the feedback."

Note: The Punisher is using the ACT file called PositiveGs-database.zip.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3190877 - 01/27/11 10:59 PM Re: Win7 and LB2: God save the Queen! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
My mistake! It is Punisher not Phoenix using that among the other Win7 fixes.

PS I got tired of your sarcasm, misplaced that last time so replied in kind with a biggrin which is a big grin to indicate smiling not anger.

Ha, stand corrected!

And about your reply, it was the FIRST line I was questioning, not the stuff that followed, about my "obnoxious comments and write it off to poor upbringing or being bullied a lot as a kid." I don't think my comments are obnoxious, I only ever try to display common sense and good-humored banter. I also object to remarks being made about my upbringing as you have no clue as to how I was raised or indeed my social class, background or way of life. Like upbringing has anything to do with anything anyway, I make my own choices and am not influenced subliminally by anything or anyone. The remark about being bullied as a kid is also a misinformed judgment and not a topic that should be treated with anything but utmost sensitivity and should not be taken lightly.

So am I to remain totally 'professional' now, with no humor or small talk?

OK so The Punisher is using my 'fix' and +G's ACT fix. That doesn't count as two fixes used together as mine for the majority is just to get over the obstacle of install and upgrade - not running the game. And +G's fix is solely used to limit the RAM on older systems and for the same in-game stability issue that the 'CA.INI' fix solves, something which isn't an issue for me. What Phoenix's fix does over +G's one and what is of interest to my current sitation - is that it should fix debrief screen crashes and some graphical irregularities too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.