Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3019739 - 05/27/10 11:45 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: flightsimer90s]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Originally Posted By: john84
I'm playing on windows 7 premium 64 bit system, there are always ways to improve, they will come.

Unlikely. Phoenix here is really the only one who has bothered to look into possible fixes, and he has now come to the end of his tether with that.

PositiveG was the main 'fixer' for LB2, and as you've been away for so long I don't know if you know... he sadly passed away in August last year.
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/tribute.html

And although yet more people are still getting into LB2 for the very first time (even 12 years later!), none of them have any knowledge of how LB2 works internally or have the desire to do anything about it. And who can really blame them? We all have to let go at some point.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3019740 - 05/27/10 11:48 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Originally Posted By: john84
Bunch of old longbow 2 mods/utilities still online
http://home.mindspring.com/~bobtull/LB2/

any good?

Dude we are so far past this point! You really have been away for far too long! smile

Also, these may be of interest to you...
http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_320a.html
http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_437a.html

#3069156 - 08/07/10 11:39 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
Been away from LB2 for a long while. Been flying LOMAC-FC2 and DCS-BS which now share
the same MP electronic battlefield. (see second picture below)

Regarding LB2 on MS Vista, Ive been running it pretty much stock with the CDs plus
the wrappers as we have been with WinXP and now Vista. Didnt need the Vista-fix-EXE. I say that
just as another data point. Glad the patch is working for those that needed it.

LB2 on VISTA Home Premium with OEM CDs

DCS-BS and LOMAC-FC2 on VISTA

pilot

oh man... i have been gone along time.
Kevin has gained his golden rotors.
Thanks for the tribute Flyboy.

AV8R
#3070774 - 08/10/10 03:55 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Wow, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw 'AV8R' on here. How are you man? We'd begun to think you'd gone the same way as +G. Don't leave it so long next time! You had us (well, me at least) all worried.

#3163777 - 12/23/10 05:23 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
TexasThunder Offline
TexasThunder  Offline

191:United States
New member here.
First I wanted to say many thanks to Flyboy.
After buying a copy of LB2 on Ebay and going thru the frustration
of trying to get it to load on my windows 7 laptop, I found this
message board.
Following the instructions in this thread I was able to get LB to download and install (I did use the seperate folder suggestion).

My questions are:

When double clicking on the LB2 Icon the game starts out on a battlefield with tanks approaching.
Is there not a way to start it with the helicopter on the base ?
I dont have a Joystick yet, so how do I set the controls for a laptop?
Last question, I found a site that has the operations manual in PDF, but is there a site that has a zipped copy ??

#3164681 - 12/24/10 01:07 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi TexasThunder and welcome to the forums. To (try and) answer your questions...

When double clicking on the LB2 Icon the game starts out on a battlefield with tanks approaching.
* You should go to the base screen where you can select your pilot and game type, etc. This sounds to me like you're playing the demo!

Is there not a way to start it with the helicopter on the base?
* See above.

I dont have a Joystick yet, so how do I set the controls for a laptop?
* If and when you start the game and get onto the base screen, press Alt-O and you will go to the options menu, from there you can set controls. If indeed you are playing the demo, again press Alt-O in-game to bring up the options menu. Beware that on my Windows 7 PC, I have to reconfigure controls every time I enter a new mission - this might just be a problem isolated to me though.

Last question, I found a site that has the operations manual in PDF, but is there a site that has a zipped copy ??
* Why do you want a zipped copy? Can't you just download the PDF?

#3169949 - 01/02/11 07:46 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

While doing a flyby (been busy doing DCS Blackshark, DCS A10C, IL21946, and SteelBeastsPro)...

Saw this download link again, and downloaded your Vista LB2 package FlyBoy.
It installed fine on my Vista32 Home Premium system, and it did run "out of the box", as long as it sees my OEM CD2.
However...
1. No matter which DX video card driver I select via LB2cfg, the graphics are poor quality (compared to DgVoodoo drivers)
2. Im unable to change the BASE TERRIAN in the options, all are inactive.

That being said,
I still have the OEM CDs and can install and run LB2 with those, (I do not have McAfee or Norton on this puter)
plus with the DgVoodoo drivers on my Vista system running in WinXP SP2 compatibility mode.

So, Im not sure why Im seeing what I saw with your installation and what drivers its using, if any.
Im betting that if DgVoodoo drivers are put in there, it will look great like my OEM install.

AV8R

AV8R
#3170598 - 01/03/11 12:23 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi AV8R, wow it's great to see you in here again. I have previously asked about you as I was a bit 'concerned' at one point, after +G, you know...

Yeah you still need a game CD in the drive/or ISO image mounted. My package simply bypasses CD/ISO install as some Vista/7 users report problems even installing, and indeed can't install the patch or DDU either. It's also a neat way of not letting people play the game without first, hopefully, buying it. It is NOT a NoCD solution.

To answer your questions...

1. No matter which DX video card driver I select via LB2cfg, the graphics are poor quality (compared to DgVoodoo drivers)
* I can't remember now but I THINK the lb2cfg is set by default (by me) to 3DFX. So all you should need to do is install dgVoodoo (or not, if I included that - but I don't think so as different people have differing success with each different version - i.e. 1.40 Beta, 1.50 Beta, 1.50 Beta2). Sometimes I have seen the game automatically revert to Software mode if Direct3D is selected and is unable to be utilized, it MAY in some cases be the same with 3DFX). Yeah, the D3D drivers aren't a sure-fire way for LB2 on modern PCs at least, as there are some glaring graphical bugs. Why would you even use D3D over 3DFX? smile

2. Im unable to change the BASE TERRIAN in the options, all are inactive.
* Are you trying to access this particular menu option from the menu whilst in-game? If that's the case, these options are blanked out on purpose - by the game, not by me. You can change these options from the base menu screen only, before you get in-game. Press ALT-O at the base.

I hope my answers help - and of course, if you need any further help, I'd be glad to try - sir.

#3171571 - 01/04/11 05:33 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

Flyboy,

If 3DFX was selected already by you when you made your install package, then what I saw after first installing was not what I see using DgVoodoo drivers. This is why I went back and played around with the DX choices. I will go back and try 3DFX setting again and report back. Its nice that you are trying to give more legs to this classic. Im hoping that DCS will eventually come out with a LongBow or Apache addon in the future. Only they seem to be able to do the job right.

I did see that you were asking for a multiplayer flight, its just not right that youve havent had the opportunity to do this yet. Somehow we will have to rectify that.

Regarding something happening to me, the rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

AV8R

AV8R
#3172112 - 01/05/11 01:15 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Just make sure that you have 3DFX enabled in the lb2cfg.exe, and copy over the dgVoodoo files for the version of your choice - to the LB2 directory. If the game doesn't work in Glide after that, I haven't a clue what is going on.

#3172610 - 01/05/11 11:17 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

Geez, only now reading back through this thread do I see where you answered someones question about needing wrappers.
I thought you put it all together in this install package. Why didnt you?

Nonetheless, after putting DgVoodoo in there, Im sure ill be back to the same level of graphic detail Im used to having
in my own OEM installs.

Still, Im not sure why others with the OEM CDs cannot install, add wrapper, and fly on Vista like I can.
Is it really about their antiVirus proggy? Im not running into problems on Vista. But note, I dont install
inside the C:\PROGRAM FILES folder where Vista's UAC would inhibit installation and running priviledges.
I install in a different drive altogether, where UAC doesnt touch it.

AV8R
#3172619 - 01/05/11 11:33 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
I didn't put in the dgVoodoo wrapper(s) because I didn't - and still don't - know where to contact the creator to get permission to use them, also, different people have varying success with different versions. To include any ONE version in my package may suggest (wrongly) to people that that version is the one they should be using. And to include all three versions may just get downright confusing for the more casual PC users.

Well of course you'll have the same level of detail as your 'OEM' installs, that's all this package is - but it allows you to bypass the actual install process yourself, as well as patch and DDU installs. It's NO different!

Most people haven't reported that they CAN'T install on Vista - just that when it comes to the map decompression - that fails. If you cannot pass this stage of the installation process, you can't play the game. As far as I know it has NOTHING to do with their anti-virus program. And of note, you cannot (or shouldn't be able to) install the patch and DDU in Vista/7 as they are 16-bit programs that seem to no longer be suppported by these two latest OS's.

I don't know where other people install their game to, but I have always used 'C:\Games\...' and have had the same problems as others report. Luckily, Win7 has much more relaxed and configurable UAC. Why are you still even using Vista!? smile

Last edited by Flyboy; 01/07/11 12:38 PM.
#3172673 - 01/06/11 01:05 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
Why Im still on Vista?

Old old engineering axiom...

"If it aint broke, dont fix it."

Until I need to upgrade to a new computer, then ill get Win7 along with it.
Probably IL2-BOB will make me go there, but for now everything I have works fine on what I have...
Including DCS-BS and A10C, FlamingCliffs, MSFSX, Open Falcon, COD-BlackOps, ROF-ICE, IL2-1946, SteelBeastsPro, etc.
And lets not forget Longbow2 runs great on Vista with little effort.
Same thing on my older dual2core with WinXP. No problems there either.
I also have some older laptops and a 2.4Ghz single core. On this system even the rockets in LB2 seem to work better.

AV8R
#3173434 - 01/06/11 10:50 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: AV8R]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: AV8R
Why Im still on Vista?

So why did you switch from XP to Vista? Lapse of judgement and temporarily forgot the old axiom? wink

#3173465 - 01/06/11 11:27 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: JAMF]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
JAMF

Some folks have need of more than one computer at a time.
And as a function of time, computers come with whatever OS was newest.

Hope that helps you with your question.

AV8R
#3173541 - 01/07/11 01:13 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Ah, so you didn't pick the XP upgrade option for Vista then. WinkNGrin

#3173597 - 01/07/11 02:31 AM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: JAMF]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

No im too darn cheap (frugal) to buy a new computer to upgrade the OS.

soapbox

AV8R
#3173801 - 01/07/11 12:35 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Why Im still on Vista?

Ha, but Vista IS broke... badly!

No matter, it's good to see you posting here again AV8R! smile

#3188402 - 01/25/11 12:24 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: AV8R]  
iam73 Offline
iam73  Offline

Why Im still on Vista?

But Vista IS broken! biggrin

#3188414 - 01/25/11 12:45 PM Re: Longbow 2 Windows Vista/7 Fix available for download! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Hi iam73, glad you agree!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.