Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3182144 - 01/18/11 05:56 AM LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

Recluse, Eugene and AV8R fired up Hamachi and LB2 and set off on another amazing adventure!
Must be seen to be believed...

AV8R
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3182158 - 01/18/11 06:43 AM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
"Mission accomplished"

Thanks AV8R, thanks Recluse. Great to fly this fine sim again, and in good company. I hope we can add another pilot and get two full Flights manned. Or one, with Pilot & C/PG in both choppers.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3182251 - 01/18/11 01:39 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
*weeps into crook of elbow*

I'm guessing all this went on last night? Damn, the one night I decide to get an early night after waiting up in the small hours for nights/days on end (not necessarily for LB2, mind you), and you guys all show up at once! Typical! I hope you all crashed! mad

OK, so who drew the short straw for the Kiowa!? wink

I do intend to be THAT 4th pilot, I'd like to be THAT 4th pilot - if you think I'm worthy enough of your presence and experience. Would I have to go through some sort of strict training regime first? Would I have to set out alone in a Black Hawk with just 2x M60s and neutralize a SAM site? However, as you guys are all in the U.S., someone's gonna have to be up late! Me no doubt. *sigh* smile

Why can't you all be East Coast like Recluse? At least we'd cut 3 hours time difference there and then!

I actually fired up LB2 yesterday for a quick Instant Action with invul/inf ammo, and am slowly getting used to my new control layout (don't ask), naffed 2D cockpit (but no debrief crash) and still very limited yaw. Here's a little story...

I intentionally let myself get close to one 2S6M, just to let the sim really come alive and remind myself what it's all about. The ASE page lights up, the TSD lights up, my headphones are buzzing with warnings and caution tones - then a smoke plume about 1km away appears - Betty is having an orgasm and the CP/G is sh*tt*ng himself. Chaff starts to eject frantically, and I decide to ditch collective and nose-dive to see if I can evade the missile, I do. The cokcpit goes quiet and the diamond missile symbol on the TSD soars gently and harmlessly overhead before disappearing - indicating a self-destruct. As I fly closer to the lone 2S6M, everything lights up again, but this time I'm in cannon range - his cannon. I let myself get closer and closer until he starts firing quad-30mm at me! Man, this IS what it's all about. I feel such joy and admiration when I see this kind of situation, knowing what (potentially) real pilots could do and how bloody well the sim was made. I don't think there will EVER be another helo sim which models the damage, ASE, warnings and evasion ability of LB2. It may be 13-years-old, but I still honestly believe (all features considered here) that it is a decade ahead of any helo sim out there today. We can even be cocky enough to be sure that DCS: Apache won't stand-up to LB2, possibly years before it even gets released, as that will model the AH-64A and knowing how DCS: Black Shark is (from what I've read), the missions won't exactly be, shall we say, high-intensity. I think as far as any future Apache/Longbow sims go, they will probably focus more on the low-intensity conflicts as seen in the recent/current Iraq/Afganistan wars. Apart from the 'traditional' campaign projected for Combat-Helo, I think the days of taking on numerous tanks/SAM/AAA threats in a Longbow sim are gone. I may be wrong.

#3182400 - 01/18/11 04:34 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Yeah it was ironic that you told me you would be taking the night off and we ended up in LB2. I promise I didn't send out a mass PM saying "FLYBOY WON'T BE HERE.. LETS FLY LB2!!"

Eugene and James started out in SBPro, then I crashed the party and for some reason we went of killing the Infected masses in Left4Dead. Then AV8R showed up and we segued to LB2. I cannot complain about late nights to YOU, but it was still 1 am when I got to bed. Luckily, our foul weather here led to a delayed opening at work and I could sleep another hour.

AV8R volunteered for the KIOWA.

You are welcome to be the 4th pilot/CP-G any time. You will have to complete a very thorough training course before you can fly with us, though. Intensive quizzing on key commands, low level proficiency flights through the mountain passes, and most of all, learning to bang on your dashboard and use foul language in an attempt to get balky controls working again.

THAT is how the PROS do it!!

Last edited by Recluse; 01/18/11 04:36 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#3182442 - 01/18/11 05:41 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
It's just a pity we can't link up LB2 and SBPro - then we could spank Eugene in his tank!

#3182591 - 01/18/11 08:22 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Flyboy, have you seen what we do to choppers in Steel Beasts Pro? Have you noticed what happens to choppers in Hollywood movies? Pretty similar biggrin
It isn't pretty - except to us below!

BTW, I saw you on TS a couple nights ago - Sunday I think, but you never said a word. I figured you had stepped away for a while, perhaps to engage in what we in the States call "sleeping". But Recluse tells me that at in the middle of the night you type rather than talk, and I may have missed that. Sorry! Would have been glad to fire up LB2 then.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3182714 - 01/18/11 10:47 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
No, I haven't seen what you do to choppers in SBPro - but hopefully it's only Russian choppers you shoot down! Anyway, what if I decide to put a mountain between my chopper and your tin can and then lob a Hellfire over? It's game over for you and you didn't even know I was there! smile

When I'm in TS at night (well, night time my end) I have to type as I'm not in the house alone and other people might actually be trying to do that thing what we in the UK call 'getting 40 winks'. Also, these are old semi-detached houses with solid walls so sound goes straight through them and next door have got a young kid and new baby. I don't really think that anyone would appreciate me shouting "Sh*t, we're hit!" in my best American accent at 2.00am GMT! I did send you a PM there but you must have missed it. Please note that I am only ever in TS when I'm online, so don't ever think that I'm logged in but away - I'm there, somewhere!

P.S. I just noticed in AV8R's second screenshot down that Recluse and AV8R were in fact both in the same chopper. How did that go?

#3182734 - 01/18/11 11:15 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

So when Recluse was pilot and AV8R(TMAS) was CPG, Recluse had zero problems and we kicked butt and took names.
We had a beer party at the FARP tent and even drank it all before Eugene landed. Very little jitter when sharing CPits.

When Recluse had his ownship, and AV8R had his little sports car Kiowa; then Recluse spent 1/2 the time banging his
virtual head against the virtual dashboard and was out of bullets and down to bad language. And the Kiowa took down
a mig and a couple of Ruskie tin cans. Eugene actually got all or most of the primaries, because he was focused.

Probably means, its better to have ole AV8R in your cockpit than without
hows that for cheekiness-to-the-max?

pilot

AV8R
#3182763 - 01/18/11 11:51 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Just curious, why do you call yourself 'TMAS' in LB2? Wouldn't it make more sense to call yourself by your SimHQ name so people (OK, me) can identify you easier? Also, do you use TeamSpeak? I haven't seen you in there.

OK so you can walk the walk but can you talk the talk? Instead of giving me cheek on these here forums, get in LB2 right now and let's go to war (together)! smile

#3182808 - 01/19/11 12:46 AM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: Flyboy]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

Yes, I "walk the walk"... ill take that as a compliment.
Ill take a good walk over a good talk any day of the week.

As for cheek, one of us keeps injecting himself into another's thread.
Now who would that be?

Its OK, youthful exuberance. I understand and am patient.
Because Eugene and Recluse are fond of you young whipper snapper,
there may indeed be a time where we will be cheek to cheek.

As for the TMAS comment. I employed a different pilot and callsign
within LB2 when I was testing LB2 over Hamachi and wanted to see
different names instead of 2 or 3 AV8Rs in each cockpit.

I look forward to sharing barbs with you on TS3 some time soon.u
It has to be more fun than this cold text medium where dry humor goes unappreciated.
neaner

AV8R
#3182842 - 01/19/11 01:32 AM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted By: AV8R

pilot

Heehee.. except for the time I was trying to finish off a MiG with cannon and I kept saying "LASE IT! LASE IT!" and AV8R kept saying "IT IS LASED!" and I said "NO IT IS LOCKED BUT NOT LASED!!!" Sometime later he figured out the Laser Power switch...which was put to good use in the Kiowa.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3182848 - 01/19/11 01:36 AM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
Staci has some opinions about me getting cheek to cheek with anyone other than herself!

Flyboy, Steel Beasts Pro models choppers on both sides, including assaults by choppers on tanks. It also models tanks firing back. The results suggest you jumping out quickly and getting into a tank. In all seriousness, I think this is because SBP must not model bobup attacks, or it does model ex Soviet platforms well and they don't perform as well as Longbows. In any event, do not fly in an OPFOR chopper in SBP!!

Meanwhile, this beer thing has got to stop. Pretty soon you guys won't even go out on the mission - just lift off about six feet then touch down again and start drinking while Eugene flies off to risk his neck again!

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3182885 - 01/19/11 02:22 AM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Yes, I "walk the walk"... ill take that as a compliment.
Ill take a good walk over a good talk any day of the week.

I don't know about compliment, I've seen visual evidence of your success in LB2 multiplayer, but have yet to see it first-hand.

As for cheek, one of us keeps injecting himself into another's thread.
Now who would that be?

LOL, you don't like Flyboy dominating over you!? You have to have my input in your topics, otherwise it has no worth! wink

Its OK, youthful exuberance. I understand and am patient.
Because Eugene and Recluse are fond of you young whipper snapper,
there may indeed be a time where we will be cheek to cheek.

Youthful exuberance? Patient about what? You do know that my perhaps, hightened, appearance of enthusiasm and persona are just me being playful and, hopefully, good humored?

As for the TMAS comment. I employed a different pilot and callsign
within LB2 when I was testing LB2 over Hamachi and wanted to see
different names instead of 2 or 3 AV8Rs in each cockpit.

Yeah I think more than one AV8R would be too much for anyone to bear!

I look forward to sharing barbs with you on TS3 some time soon.u
It has to be more fun than this cold text medium where dry humor goes unappreciated.
neaner

Well I hope you catch me during acceptable hours then, or it will be more cold text from me!

#3182964 - 01/19/11 04:53 AM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: Recluse]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
Originally Posted By: Recluse

pilot

Heehee.. except for the time I was trying to finish off a MiG with cannon and I kept saying "LASE IT! LASE IT!" and AV8R kept saying "IT IS LASED!" and I said "NO IT IS LOCKED BUT NOT LASED!!!" Sometime later he figured out the Laser Power switch...which was put to good use in the Kiowa.

Yes I remember all to well oh laserbreath...
then you exacted your ire on that dastardly truck with your smoking gatling.
Oh the horrors of it all... the poor beer truck never had a chance

attack

AV8R
#3182978 - 01/19/11 05:13 AM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
That was ENEMY BEER... At least I didn't crash into the beer tent at the FARP...a not too unusual occurrence! fearful

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3183306 - 01/19/11 05:00 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: Eugene]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Staci has some opinions about me getting cheek to cheek with anyone other than herself!

Ewwww! We have youngones reading our forums!!!

shower

AV8R
#3183462 - 01/19/11 08:28 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
We made a successful three pilot session last night, although Flyboy had to be wakeful at 3 a.m. local time! Yet strangely effective as he wiped the OPFORs off the map. Recluse also, as his stick issues are now a thing of the past. All flights Mission Complete, and only one chopper down. We are considering starting a co-op campaign.

The heartening thing about LB2 is that 11 years on with just a little aid from Hamachi, it remains a superb sim with some features still unmatched. The absence of a modding community for more maps and missions (trees would be a big advance) is probably the only reason we were the only humans on Earth flying the sim online last night. Just a shame the code is not available or failing that, that modding is not easier or more appealing to the flight sim community.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3183579 - 01/19/11 10:18 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
AV8R Offline
AV8R  Offline

Southern California USA

There is a 3rd party mission editor for LB2.
Ive made missions before with it, albiet a bit rudimentary compared to today's standards.

Good to hear you guys had fun, and Recluse not having a headache.

AV8R
#3183947 - 01/20/11 12:26 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Eugene - LB2 is sctually 13-years-old now! It was released in November '97, remember? And it was actually 4am here when we first started, finished around 5am.

Yes AV8R you are correct, there is indeed a mission editor, with which I have made quite a few missions for LB2. One mission I made pushes the object limit and I crashed LB2 several times during the making of it - I ended up having to remove many objects just for the game to accept it!

As much as I've been pleased to finally get into LB2 multiplayer, and have yet to fly with the *AHEM* great AV8R - I fear that it won't be a regular thing for me as I simply cannot keep doing these late nights/early mornings and my crappy yaw rate and too-easily-induced low rotor RPM kind of kills it for me. I have *just about* got over my control issues, am 'coping' with my broken 2D cockpit, but with the yaw issue there isn't a hope in hell of being able to turn quick enough to engage sneaky helicopters - let alone a fast mover. And I now dread every time I have to come into a hover, as my low rotor RPM kicks in way too hard and fast and my only salvation once stationary is trying to recover myself by using hover hold - that has saved me quite a few times now. The rotor RPM issue especially, seems to be aggravated more in MP.

And not being able to use voice comms late at night, I feel more of a burden than an asset.

#3184014 - 01/20/11 02:25 PM Re: LB2 MP: The 3 Amigos ride again [Re: AV8R]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Ahhh how quickly we forget. In the golden age of modem to modem simming, Text chat was ALL WE HAD (unless blessed with one of the wonky but workable DSVD (Digital Simultaneous Voice and Data) modems). I flew many many many ATF Gold missions with a fellow pilot in California that way and we had the phone bills to prove it!!!

Even with the advent of Internet gaming, originally via Kali or KAHN, text chat was the rule. I remember my shock and dismay when DI's APACHE came out promising Leader/Wing Pilot/CPG multiplayer, but they had included NO TEXT CHAT function. Only canned macros. I believe this was fixed in a patch, but it was a real downer. I played it on a friend's LAN, so we could just shout back and forth across the room for comms smile

I recall some early internet telephony apps...used over 28.8K and lower modem connections. Not for gaming per se, and there really wasn't anyone to talk to. I talked to some random stranger in Malta..just because I COULD. Like the proverbial Dancing Bear, it wasn't amazing because it worked WELL, but because it worked AT ALL...

Roger Wilco was a Game Changer (pun intended) and there was no looking back to text chat.

With the workload involved in juggling Cyclic and collective, Helo sims are probably the toughest ones to make text chat work in..but with sufficient brevity, autopilot and hover it is doable.

Anyway.. what I mean to say is.. no worries about the text only. At least you could hear US!

As for your YAW rate, that really sucks. Can't imagine what is going on with that.....

Last edited by Recluse; 01/20/11 02:25 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.