Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3173233 - 01/06/11 07:13 PM Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog on Windows XP. When I run any kind of profile on the TARGET software my entire throttle/control panel no longer functions at all. I tried multiple games and none of them would recognize any inputs from the throttle/control panel at all. As soon as the TARGET profile is turned off my throttles function again. Unfortuantely, I would like to use some of the nice features that the TARGET software allows, so I'd like to be able to use it.

Also, the device manager shows that my joystick works, but my throttles get no response. This is also the case in the Windows Game Controller panel. As soon as I disable TARGET, Windows redetects both devices and they work as intended.

As far as software, I installed the hardware drivers and updated to the latest firmware (Dec 21, 2010 I believe?) as well as the TARGET software.

Anyone heard of this problem before or know of anything I could be doing wrong?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3173348 - 01/06/11 09:06 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
What profile(s) are you running via T.A.R.G.E.T.? It's possible none of them have any axes or buttons mapped to the throttle.

Try a simple test. Create a new test profile and use the Warthog Throttle. Map a button to the "a" key, run the profile, and see if the mapped key works.

#3173374 - 01/06/11 09:26 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
I tried using the stock IL2 profile and a custom one too. Neither worked. Both showed the throttle selected on the first screen and DX axes assigned on the second.

#3173727 - 01/07/11 08:19 AM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Dimebug Offline
Dimebug  Offline

France
does the axis from the trottle works in the "Thrustmaster combined" device in the windows Game Controller Panel ?

Guillaume "Dimebug" Leleve
#3173930 - 01/07/11 03:56 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Dimebug]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Dimebug
does the axis from the trottle works in the "Thrustmaster combined" device in the windows Game Controller Panel ?

No. And not the buttons/switches either.

#3175093 - 01/09/11 02:40 AM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Joe]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Joe
What profile(s) are you running via T.A.R.G.E.T.? It's possible none of them have any axes or buttons mapped to the throttle.

Try a simple test. Create a new test profile and use the Warthog Throttle. Map a button to the "a" key, run the profile, and see if the mapped key works.

I just specifically tried this test and this time I didn't get a response from the Throttle or Joystick. Again, stopping the TARGET profile returns both sticks to full functionality.

#3176387 - 01/10/11 10:25 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
hsth Offline
hsth  Offline

Hi Matt,

Without TARGET software running, check in the Device manager that you have there two HID-compliant game controllers. These are the joystick and throttle.

Next, do you run the script from the TARGET GUI or the Script Editor? As I only use the Script Editor I'll give you my information.

If you run the script from the Script Editor you should see some lines like these:
===============================================================================================
Running script: DCS FC2 SU-25.tmc
Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"
Compile Succeeded.
Physical USB HID devices managed by script!
Currently plugged USB HID devices[2]:
1: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0402&REV_0100"
2: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0404&REV_0100"
USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\5&35EDA8E7&0&2) selected
USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\6&A9FCCC3&0&4) selected
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b351" cannot be found
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b352" cannot be found
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_0400" cannot be found
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_B10A" cannot be found
Virtual HID devices managed by script!
Connecting virtual joystick...Done
Device name set to Thrustmaster Combined
Connecting virtual keyboard...Done
Connecting virtual mouse...Done
================================================================================================

You will also notice in the Device Manager that a new HID-compliant game controller has been added, this is the Thrustmaster Combined that is also mentioned in the above lines.
Now, when you start a simulator like FC2 you should also see that the other two HID-compliant gane controllers are disabled. The TARGET software should do this but I always have to do it manually as the software doesn't do it.

Then, when you stop the simulator and stop running the script, the one HID-compliant game controller will disappear and the other two become enabled again. That is also done by the TARGET software. And funny enough, that bit works on my system.

#3177041 - 01/11/11 07:30 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
Here's what I get:
Quote:
Running script: joyconf.tmc
*** Allocated ProcInstances found from the previous run: use FreeProcInstance() ***
Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"
Compile Succeeded.
1: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\Vid_044f&Pid_0404&Rev_0100"
2: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\Vid_044f&Pid_0402&Rev_0100"
USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\5&8506B5D&0&2) selected
USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\5&230E9CC2&0&3) selected
Connecting virtual joystick...Done
Connecting virtual keyboard...Done
Connecting virtual mouse...Done

main returned 0
When the TARGET script is running I get no response from my joystick or throttles. When the script is stopped I have two entries in my game controllers window and both the joystick and throttle function properly (albeit without any useful scripting).

I've tried reinstalling the TARGET application and it has not helped.

One thing I should note is that I installed the drivers before I installed TARGET. Initially during the TARGET installation a window would pop up and say that new hardware was found and drivers were needed (typical Windows driver wizard). After closing that, the program would hang, so I went and installed the drivers and then came back and installed the TARGET software. During installation the installer hangs up and I get a "program not responding" dialogue box from Windows. If I close it the installer will continue further some and then hang again. After about 8-10 repetitions of this the installer finishes without issue, but I'm not sure if something is being lost when the installer hangs up. The TARGET gui and script editor seem to run completely fine though, so I doubt this is the issue.

Last edited by Matt W.; 01/11/11 07:31 PM.
#3177178 - 01/11/11 10:07 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
hsth Offline
hsth  Offline

Sorry that I haven't asked before, what TARGET software version have you installed? And have you also installed the latest firmware? Make sure TARGET is TARGET_RC3_21_12_2010.exe and firmware is 2010_TMHW_1.exe.

Reading the problems you had during the installation I would advise to uninstall TARGET completely. During the installation an entry in your menu will have been made to uninstall the software. First do that.

Then, do a restart of your system. Leave both joystick and throttle connected as they are normal Windows controlled devices.
Check both by entering "Set up USB game controllers" in the command box. You should see a screen where you can select Joystick - HOTAS Warthog and Throttle - HOTAS Warthog. Make sure both are working fine.

Now install the TARGET software. It all should work fine in one go. Please let us know of any problem you see during the install.

#3177574 - 01/12/11 12:38 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Macedk Offline
Macedk  Offline

denmark
Also is the warthog the only game controller plugged in when you are running target ?

DK Viking

PC Specs.
M/B: Asus P5Q pro
CPU Type: QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Ram: Ddr2 6 Gb
Gfx: XFX 5850 1Gb black edition.
Audio: onboard
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220 22" LCD
joystick: TM Warthog #1400
sys os: Win7 sp1 (64bit)
Int. spd: 20 Mbit Dwn/ 2Mbit up.
#3178075 - 01/12/11 10:36 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
When I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, the first time TARGET ran it attempted to install two new devices (the HOTAS firmware was already installed and up to date and they both were working properly in the game controllers dialogue), I didn't know what drivers it was looking for, so I let it do an automatic installation and it could not find drivers to install. The devices were called "Thrustmaster HID01" and "Thrustmaster HID02" (or something close to that). I'm not sure what's up with that. That happened the first time as well, but the first time I just hit cancel on the driver wizard and the program continued to run. This time I tried to let it install now TARGET won't run any scripts.

Now it gives me:
Quote:
Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"
1: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\Vid_044f&Pid_0402&Rev_0100"
2: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\Vid_044f&Pid_0404&Rev_0100"
USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\5&8506B5D&0&2) selected
USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\5&230E9CC2&0&3) selected
Connecting virtual joystick...Script stopped!
Done

Runtime Error: STOP request received while running main on line 8 in "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt\Application Data\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Scripts\joyconf.tmc"
Error: Script run timed out!

Also, I still got the weird hangs on installation of the TARGET software, but just like last time it still installed and ran fine.

Last edited by Matt W.; 01/12/11 10:38 PM.
#3178518 - 01/13/11 03:40 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
hsth Offline
hsth  Offline

Hi Matt,

When the software is looking for drivers it will be looking at C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\drivers where it should have two subdirectories, one called \x64 for 64 bit operating systems and one called \x86 for 32 bit versions.
What operating system are you running? And do you have User Account Control (UAC) turned on or off? Because your remark about the installation not being able to detect the correct drivers indicates that there might be a security issue.
Try first to install the TARGET software as an administrator, right click on TARGET_RC3_21_12_2010.exe and select "run as administrator".

Also, I didn't mention it before, but I always make sure that the Thrustmaster FAST Service is stopped before I do any updates or installs. This is a process running in the background and visible when you run the Task Manager. It is part of the TARGET installation and as I'm not sure how much it could interfere I always stop it. Better safe than sorry...

Could you also upload your joyconf.tmc and -.ttm file? So I can see how they compile here. Thanks.

#3181567 - 01/17/11 04:44 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
I'm running Windows XP on an admin account, no UAC of course. The thing is, I've already installed the drivers before TARGET is installed, so why is it still looking for drivers? What are the HID01 and HID02 devices supposed to be?

#3181781 - 01/17/11 08:04 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
The actual joystick and throttle are recognized by Windows as devices. Once T.A.R.G.E.T. runs a script, Windows sees a virtual device which is different from either the joystick or throttle. This is why more drivers installs occur (but only once, if they work properly).

#3182854 - 01/19/11 01:43 AM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
That's fine and I understand that, but what is supposed to install? How do I install drivers to a device that I don't know exists? There are no drivers anywhere for these virtual devices and Windows does not install the devices properly if left to do it automatically. What am I supposed to do? Nothing is made clear in any of the documentation about that, but clearly it is having an effect on whether the software runs properly or not.

#3183482 - 01/19/11 08:49 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

When the Warthog is combined, right click on the Warthog Stick and select Control Panel. What controllers do you see in the new window and in what order??

I lost control of my combined unit due to another controller being the default in the list.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3184405 - 01/20/11 09:26 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

I had a similar problem one time...(no response under TARGET, but fine without) that didn't quite match Panther's situation.

In my case, with no target running, the things would seem to work OK, but they showed up in Win7 control panel devices (NOT the old 'game controllers' view) with exclamation points.

I right clicked on 'em and did the 'troubleshooting'...they got redetected and worked fine after that. I figured I'd probably hosed something on the initial install / driver setup.

Last edited by Teej; 01/20/11 09:27 PM.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
#3197840 - 02/03/11 11:50 PM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Panther]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: *Panther*
When the Warthog is combined, right click on the Warthog Stick and select Control Panel. What controllers do you see in the new window and in what order??

I lost control of my combined unit due to another controller being the default in the list.

I can't test that because TARGET won't work because the install of the HID01 and HID02 devices did not succeed. I don't know what I'm supposed to do when Windows looks for drivers for those two devices because there are no drivers and Windows can't install them automatically.

#3197852 - 02/04/11 12:02 AM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Matt: Try this...

1: Make a backup of any target script/profile stuff you created just in case (I've had stuff get deleted on me in the past with this...)

2: Uninstall TARGET

3: Unplug anything TM. (WH stick, throttle, MFDs, Cougar, etc)

4: Reboot

5: Install TARGET

6: Reboot (Target will probably prompt this anyway)

7: Plug in warthog pieces. If any windows come up, hold off on clicking anything...they'll probably go away on their own. If you wait a couple minutes and a window doesn't go away, then think about clicking.

See where that gets you.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
#3234655 - 03/15/11 08:09 AM Re: Thrustmaster Combined Joystick problem [Re: Matt W.]  
Matt W. Offline
Matt W.  Offline

Texas, USA
Teej,

I've tried that, but no dice. The installation of the TARGET software doesn't finish because the devices never get installed. This time every time I allowed Windows to auto install them, they just popped back up again. I eventually had to shut down the program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.