Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3153232 - 12/08/10 08:06 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Chivas]  
Actionhank1786 Offline
Actionhank1786  Offline

Columbia Mo
Originally Posted By: Chivas
Posted by Action..."True, but on that same note, we would be working on an older engine that may not have been much improved over Il-2."

There would have been a huge improvement over the IL-2 engine, otherwise there would be no point in spending all the time and energy building it.

But I would say that todays computers will be able to implement the SOW engine much better than they would have in 2007.

That was more what i was getting at.
Not that it wouldn't have been an improvement in 2007, but looking at those latest videos makes me glad it's coming out soonish. (And that i upgraded my computer last winter doesn't hurt either)

-Aaron White
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3153379 - 12/08/10 11:45 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Chivas]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
Posted by Action..."True, but on that same note, we would be working on an older engine that may not have been much improved over Il-2."

There would have been a huge improvement over the IL-2 engine, otherwise there would be no point in spending all the time and energy building it.

But I would say that todays computers will be able to implement the SOW engine much better than they would have in 2007.

Dont bet on it, as far as i know the "orginal" SoW was based on the IL2 game engine. If sow would have been released in say 2007-8 it wouldnt have been nearly as complex or pleasing on they eye as it is now.
2-3 years is a loooong time in gamedevelopment and alot have happend since 07-08 programming and graphics wise

Last edited by Ghost_swe; 12/08/10 11:48 PM.
#3153490 - 12/09/10 02:12 AM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Ghost_swe

Dont bet on it, as far as i know the "orginal" SoW was based on the IL2 game engine. If sow would have been released in say 2007-8 it wouldnt have been nearly as complex or pleasing on they eye as it is now.
2-3 years is a loooong time in gamedevelopment and alot have happend since 07-08 programming and graphics wise

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3153495 - 12/09/10 02:18 AM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

I don't know how that rumor got started on the forums, but BOB was never being built on a modified IL-2 engine. It was always going to be a new game engine. The new game engine was put on hold in 2004/2005 when the developers decided to continue building addons to the IL-2 game engine {Pacific Fighters thru IL-2 1946} Work again started on the new game engine after the release of IL-2 1946.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3153613 - 12/09/10 09:44 AM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: HeinKill]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
The old map size controversy... I don't honestly believe Oleg didn't include such a significant airfield as Duxford by mistake or that its not being there reflects any lack of historical research on the part of the SoW team. I'd say that was more of a compromise they had to make in order to be able to include more of France in the South of the map.

SoW was never meant to be just a BoB game, but the first in a series of simulators that should eventually reach a scope close to that of Il2. As someone stated before, with a map like this, all you'd need to add is a Spit Mk.V, Hurris Mk.II, 109F and late Emil variants, and you'd have yourself a Summer 1941 scenario.

The area covered may seem small compared to the gigantic Il-2 maps, but you need to remember the Channel area is a much more densely populated region than the Russian steppes, with a Capital city and many important harbours and industrial areas, not to mention the bocage countryside on both shores that is going to take millions of objects to render properly. If the level of ground detail in SoW is anything like we've seen in the preview shots, this is actually a pretty big map as it is. Time, amount of work and system ressources were probably the main considerations when building the map, and sacrifices had to be made keeping future plans for expansion in mind.

Also remember the air battles will include more than just a few schwarms, we might be talking hundreds of planes up in the air at the same time.

Cheers

Nico

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r
#3153700 - 12/09/10 02:15 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: VonBarb.]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden
"Storm of War map compared with BOBII map"

First: Anyone checked if the BoBII is accurate, kind of important if we gonna use it to find "faults" in the SoW map me thinks.

Second: Comparing maps is just that, comparing MAPS, and since we havent got the foggiest idea of how SoW actually looks flying over it in game its nothing more that....comparing maps (did i allredy say that?)

#3153711 - 12/09/10 02:29 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Chivas]  
Ghost_swe Offline
Ghost_swe  Offline

sweden

I don't know how that rumor got started on the forums, but BOB was never being built on a modified IL-2 engine. It was always going to be a new game engine. The new game engine was put on hold in 2004/2005 when the developers decided to continue building addons to the IL-2 game engine {Pacific Fighters thru IL-2 1946} Work again started on the new game engine after the release of IL-2 1946.

Im pretty sure its been said that orginal SoW was based on IL2 engine but they abandoned the idea since they relized it wouldnt be up to the job.

Anyways, i very much doubt that the complexity of present day SoW was even considered back in 2004, let alone technically doable. Just my guess. Remember, everything we see in SoW today is based on experiance gained, wishes from us players etc.from orginal IL2 right up to 1946. Oleg is trying to implement all the best from years of development into SoW, that experiance/wish list was far shorter in 2006-2007 (or whenever it was orginaly suposed to have been released)

Im not saying we should wait another 3-4 years to get a even better orginal SoW release though. copter

Last edited by Ghost_swe; 12/09/10 02:31 PM.
#3153731 - 12/09/10 02:54 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Lemon Offline
Lemon  Offline

The BOBII map is accurate.

#3153943 - 12/09/10 07:08 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Lemon]  
Bader Offline
Veteran
Bader  Offline
Veteran

Bletchingley, Surrey, UK
Indeed. Totally based on Ordnance Survey reference.

Let's make no mistake, here, Rowan were professionals.

To opine to a new regime is fine, but let's not forget that each generation does not have a unique wisdom.

Last edited by Bader; 12/09/10 07:14 PM.

"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

BDG BoB Developers Group: Eleven! years of passion for historical recreation of the Battle of Britain.
#3153946 - 12/09/10 07:13 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Ghost_swe]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

Im pretty sure its been said that orginal SoW was based on IL2 engine but they abandoned the idea since they relized it wouldnt be up to the job.

Anyways, i very much doubt that the complexity of present day SoW was even considered back in 2004, let alone technically doable. Just my guess. Remember, everything we see in SoW today is based on experiance gained, wishes from us players etc.from orginal IL2 right up to 1946. Oleg is trying to implement all the best from years of development into SoW, that experiance/wish list was far shorter in 2006-2007 (or whenever it was orginaly suposed to have been released)

Im not saying we should wait another 3-4 years to get a even better orginal SoW release though. copter

It has been said many times by forum members that the origianl BOB was based on the IL-2 engine but they were wrong. smile Oleg said from the start he was building a new game engine for BOB. That said the new game engine would naturally be revised many times during the time of its build from 2003 thru 2010.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3153961 - 12/09/10 07:44 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Lemon]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Lemon
The BOBII map is accurate.

The BOB II map is very accurate, but without the aircraft icon it would be very difficult to locate your actual position. The BOBII map has only two views, one large piccelated mess, and a much better one zoomed in to approx 5000ft altitude. The later too high to easily pick out landmarks. The BOBII developers do sell a very good authentic RAF map which would be very helpful, if authentically cumbersome for navigation use.

I much prefer a multi zoom map with place names, and without icons. A map that can be zoomed in and out to better reference the map with ingame terrain. This along with the BOB II sold RAF map hung on wall would be very nice. http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=24

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3154104 - 12/09/10 11:55 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Chivas]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
I much prefer a multi zoom map with place names, and without icons. A map that can be zoomed in and out to better reference the map with ingame terrain. This along with the BOB II sold RAF map hung on wall would be very nice. http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=24

Rise of Flight's map is also a good example of this.

#3157257 - 12/15/10 12:19 AM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: Chivas]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest

Oleg said from the start he was building a new game engine for BOB.

This

#3174020 - 01/07/11 05:41 PM Re: Storm of War map compared with BOBII map [Re: HeinKill]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Interesting comparison indeed. I think the SOW airfield symbols could do with being more distinct - or perhaps they are but have lost something in the screenie presentation process. Also, I am sure you must be right about the maps being zoomed shots and not representing the entire operational area.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.