Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3152146 - 04/02/10 11:54 AM How will this Sim be release?  
miamieagle Offline
miamieagle  Offline

How will this Sim bee release?

Is it a addon for IL46 or will it bee release as a Sim in the Stores or will it bee in a download form only?

Where can we buy it once its finished.

How much will it cost.

How many planes and Ships will it include?

Is it going to include the whole of the Pacific Theater Map including the CBI. Or is only going to use limited size Maps.

Are we going to be able to imitate Battle between Ships.

Whats the projected date for its relaese?

Last edited by miamieagle; 04/02/10 03:41 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3152147 - 04/02/10 04:50 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: miamieagle]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Good questions.

**How will this Sim be release?**

It will be released as an add-on to Strike Fighters. It will not be in any stores because we do not own the game engine although it would probably do well. It will be download but the initial set may require a CD since it will be very large. The game will be released in several phases. We don't want to do it like YAPv2. We want to get it out and over with but the size is a problem.

Roughly the phases are:

Phase One: Beginnings of the air war between Japan and West. This will include Pearl Harbor, Wake Island, Force Z, Malaysian Invasion and the Battle of Rangoon.

Phase Two: 1942. Doolittle's Raid through the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. This will include the Raid on Darwin, Battle of the Coral Sea, Battle of Midway, Flying the Hump, Strafing Chiang Mai and air battles in China.

Phase Three: New Guinea (Bong, McGuire and Caldwell), Battle of the Bismark Sea, Sayanara Yamamoto, Burma Bridge Busters, LeBlanc, Attack on Truk, Rabaul, Pappy Herbst, Mariannas Turkey Shoot, Leyte Gulf and the Battle of Imphal/Kohima.

Phase Four: Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Retaking the Philippines, Fire bombing of Tokyo, and the Soviet Invasion of Manchuria. The final mission is sort of a segue into the Cold War.

**Where can we buy it once its finished.**

It will be sold at Yankee Air Pirate as Rising Sun.

**How much will it cost.**

We have no idea what it will cost but we have to compete.

**How many planes and Ships will it include?**

It will include whatever aircraft and ships are necessary to tell the stories accurately.
Ships: Battleship Row plus the Utah, Kido Butai plus less-detailed support ships, Hiei, Mogami, a later US Battleship, Hornet, Yorktown, Wasp, Enterprise, Lexington, Saratoga, Essex-class, a British carrier, the smaller Japanese carriers. Maybe the Missouri. Maybe the Yamato.
Aircraft: A6M2/5, B5N2, D3A1, P40B, PBY, F4F-3/4, C47, G3M2, G4M1/2, Ki-30, Ki-21, Ki-27, Ki-43, Hurricane MkIIa, P40E, B25B/C/J, B17, SBD, TBD, TBF, P39, P38, C46, F1M2, Spitfire, F6F, B6N2, D4Y2, SB2C, P51B/D, B24, Ki61, B29, F4U, Seafire, Yak3, N1K2 and maybe another IJAAF A2G aircraft.
A lot of little things.

Represented will be stories of pilots from Japan, America, Great Britain, China, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, India and Thailand. Sorry...we don't have any Dutch stories. We won't do Hiroshima or Nagasaki...because they are boring missions for the player.

**Is it going to include the whole of the Pacific Theater Map including the CBI. Or is only going to use limited size Maps.**

The maps will be designed for the story. That means if you are fighting at Midway, you need Midway Island and a bunch of water. We decided that nobody wants to fly a D3A1 for four hours over open water just getting to and returning from dropping one bomb at Pearl Harbor. So we don't really need to be 200 game miles from Oahu...or Midway. Wake Island will be on the Oahu Map but not necessarily where Wake Island really is. When scale is needed for enjoyment and immersion, we will have scale but we will not bore 99% of the players with repetition or long ferries.

**Are we going to be able to imitate Battle between Ships.

Rising Sun is an air game. We will reproduce the mission as it was seen from the cockpit. What goes on beyond that we will reproduce if it adds to the story. Certainly, battleships will be pounding Iwo Jima but the Battle of the Java Sea won't be included because there was little of aviation in it. We can put a player inside the bridge of a ship and let them fire guns but we cannot compete with a real sea game so why bother?

**Whats the projected date for its release?**

The projected release date was last year. All the large pieces and problems are in hand and solved. We have all but a handful of the airplanes now. But the details are going to take time. Tail gunners need to shoot correctly. Stationary ships cannot just go sailing off across the land, Japanese pilots cannot have blond hair, waist gunners cannot face forward, ships hulls have to cast shadows, Deuces has to battle the terrain editor, 8 has to test everything without punching out the monitor, and everything must be rechecked against the literature to make certain we are telling the story right. We tell stories of men in machines and if those stories are interesting and fun, we don't know until we have completed making it and flown it ourselves.

...so two weeks.

Here are some of this week's headaches...

HMS Repulse

HMS Prince of Wales with no hull shadow.

Ki-21 with tail gun pointing the wrong way. And is this the 62nd Sentai paint scheme? Dan Ford says the pilots reported it as having brown blobs. And what was the 12th's paint scheme?

Landing on the Kaga whose guns were named with left on the right and right on the left driving Mike crazy setting up Midway.

New teeth for the Flying Tigers and a hundred decals because someone will certainly point out that aircraft P-1838 was not AVG #76 and would not have worn a First Pursuit logo.

This plane needs scratches and oil leaks. The pilot is wearing a Mae West for fighting over China...and looks like he is from a wax museum.

This battle has the wrong terrain and the wrong aircraft. Kunming was attacked by Ki-48's and we don't have a Ki-48.

...but it is a hell of a lot of fun to fly. Mike has installed gun sounds and engine sounds that make it a lot more realistic.

And Deuces has to continually make and remake the land and ocean and sky.

But we assure you that Kido Butai has assembled (in the exact attack formation they used that morning) and is steaming to the launch point. The aircrews have had their traditional samurai battle breakfast of red rice, chestnuts and tai. One day soon the white flag will come down and the Zeroes will roll off the deck of the Akagi and the game will begin.

Banzai.

Last edited by zerocinco; 04/02/10 05:16 PM.
#3152148 - 04/03/10 01:00 AM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: zerocinco]  
miamieagle Offline
miamieagle  Offline

Thank you for all your information.

Yes! I"am very interested.

It sounds like a great project!

There is not enough Sims dedicated to the WAR in the Pacific Theater.

So I want to thank you!

Please keep us inform on its progress and give us the Address of the Website where we can downloaded it when its first stage is Finish.

Last edited by miamieagle; 04/03/10 01:02 AM.
#3152149 - 04/03/10 05:26 AM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: zerocinco]  
Mike963 Offline
Mike
Mike963  Offline
Mike

Mauritius
Thanks for the detailed information on this creation. WW2 aircraft sims are too few at the moment and this is a welcome addition. I am definitely interested and following your progress. I wonder if this will run on Win7? Glad you plan on initial release on CD because as you know download here on my little island is always a problem and a struggle. Great work, am always in admiration of the historical data you guys manage to dig up in the creation of the various scenarios.

Win7-64bit, Alienware X51, Graphics card NVDIA GeForce GTX 555
In Mauritius, we are once again taught how to live life: to take one's time, to socialize and mix up with different people, to taste unknown flavours, to admire nature and to appreciate the first light of dawn...
#3152150 - 04/06/10 07:22 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Mike963]  
Sakai Offline
Sakai  Offline

Maine, USA.
Looks great, never tried the WWII option if the SF series, so this would be interesting. Keep up the excellent work!

#3152151 - 04/07/10 08:38 AM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Sakai]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
I for one am hoping that the initial release is via CD. I'm old fashioned that way - I like to have something tangible. smile

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#3152152 - 04/07/10 08:13 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Boom]  
Joes Shop Offline
Joes Shop  Offline

MA, USA
So...all I will need is my original 'Strike Fighters' Disk?

Regards,

J. P. Kelly

System: Intel P4 2.80 GHz., 80 GB/2 HD
Display: 17" XGA TFT
Memory: 1024 MB DDR SDRAM
Video: ATI Radeon IGP 345m w/128 MB Ram
Controls: Saitek X52, Rudder Pedals and Eclipse Keyboard
Current: Third Wire WOV, EAW 1.28d 1024 /SPAW/SPAW45 FAW Fleet Defender, IL-2. Learning: F/A-18 PSF/OIF, Falcon 4 AF, EF2000 Ver 2.0, SH Series (Pacific Aces)
#3152153 - 04/08/10 02:06 AM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Joes Shop]  
8 L.E.I.N. Offline
8 L.E.I.N.  Offline

Detroit, Michigan USA
Yep.

#3152154 - 04/10/10 07:01 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: 8 L.E.I.N.]  
Joes Shop Offline
Joes Shop  Offline

MA, USA
Outstanding!

Thanks for the info!

Regards,

J. P. Kelly

System: Intel P4 2.80 GHz., 80 GB/2 HD
Display: 17" XGA TFT
Memory: 1024 MB DDR SDRAM
Video: ATI Radeon IGP 345m w/128 MB Ram
Controls: Saitek X52, Rudder Pedals and Eclipse Keyboard
Current: Third Wire WOV, EAW 1.28d 1024 /SPAW/SPAW45 FAW Fleet Defender, IL-2. Learning: F/A-18 PSF/OIF, Falcon 4 AF, EF2000 Ver 2.0, SH Series (Pacific Aces)
#3152155 - 04/10/10 11:08 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Joes Shop]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
So, just to reclarify the clarification, it won't work on SF2?

#3152156 - 04/11/10 02:07 AM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Nimits]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Testing

#3152157 - 04/11/10 08:50 AM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: zerocinco]  
BobM Offline
BobM  Offline

zerocinco: So far I'm partially drooling over the screenshots, even the developmental ones. The only reason I'm not totally slavering, is that I'm afraid that given the limited market for Win 7 X64 machines, Rising Sun will not run on them without major work-arounds (like Yankee Air Pirate, which I would purchase, but have no idea of the amount of work it would take to convert it to work with my system and SFWOV2).

Could you specifically address what O/S's Rising Sun will support or just say it will work with all 1st gen versions of SF, with all 2nd gen versions of SF, or either version of SF? I'd like to be disappointed now rather than later when I've really worked myself into a semi-insane fever of expectation for this title.

Regardless of your answer, I wish you great success with this title. I can tell it is a labor of love (as is YAP, I think). If there were true justice in the world, this title would sell a bazillion copies and make all of you independently wealthy.

V/R

Bob Mercer

#3152158 - 04/11/10 04:12 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: BobM]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Rising Sun is being built on XP gaming machines. Sitting off to my left about 4 feet is a Windows 7 32-bit machine. It has been assembled for the purpose of answering that question. At this point, we just plain don't know. If nothing else, Photoshop files will save a LOT faster.

As long as you are salivating, here are some more pictures. There are some nice shots of Deuces' Wake Island. Mr. Wizard always hands me something way beyond what I expected. Way beyond. Having been to Wake Island a dozen times at least, I was amazed. Magic.

Check this...haze.

Maybe we need to tone down the Vietnam Era 37 mm puffs some.

I like these WWII straight-down-on-your-head dive bombers. Mil setting = zero. This scene, by the way, never happened. By the time the Hiryu and Soryu arrived on scene there weren't this many F4F's left.

Looking to the right in the G3M2...WTF?! You guys get back inside.

Approaching Wake Island, the AAA is popping 7 miles out...need to cut the charge some.

I like this shot. On December 8 (7th Hawaii time) bombers from Kwajalien flew 600 miles one-way to bomb Wake Island. They destroyed all but 5 of the new Wildcats that had just been dropped off by the Enterprise (the reason she was not at Pearl Harbor). The remaining planes put up a fierce defense and these are some great missions/stories.

Banzai.

PS. Want to see something uncanny? Check this:

http://www.boathooked.com/images/art/talesofkidnapmoney8.jpg

Last edited by zerocinco; 04/12/10 04:34 AM.
#3152159 - 04/11/10 04:39 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: zerocinco]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Gorgeous! Especially first screenshot with haze effect. Love it.

#3152160 - 04/11/10 06:02 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: _michal]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Your loss is a very sad one. Sorry to have read the news today.

Thanks for the compliment. Some changes that Deuces made increased the realism again.

Last edited by zerocinco; 04/11/10 07:45 PM.
#3152161 - 04/11/10 08:18 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: zerocinco]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Thank you zerocinco. Yes, these are the sad days here.

#3152162 - 04/12/10 08:43 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: _michal]  
miamieagle Offline
miamieagle  Offline

Wow!

#3152163 - 04/14/10 03:11 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Nimits]  
Colonel Kern Offline
Colonel Kern  Offline

Originally Posted By: Nimits
So, just to reclarify the clarification, it won't work on SF2?

Yes, please. I am concerned about system reqs. I have a older P4 machine (and, no, I have no money for upgrades these days. Don't even go there....)

I can run TW sims through SEP 2008 patch OK with modest settings but beyond that I have issues.

The Colonel

"They're not toys. They're collectables."
#3152164 - 04/14/10 05:22 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: Colonel Kern]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Right now we are writing it on machines more powerful than will play it. The rationale is that they will still show models and displays that are in error because they can power their way through them where a weaker machine would just crash leaving us no clue as to what was wrong. Then we start working it down to reality. Mike and I use relatively ample game machines. Deuces uses the SuperCollider.

It is the goal to be able to put it into play where the game controls will allow you to set it within your range. Options to run huge skins will be available for those who want to see the rats we painted below decks on the freighters...to see if they are male or female.

Shadows are going to be provided only by the game engine, though. No SHD files will be included.

Here are some pretty pictures as long as you are here:

Just a nice shot of some ships at anchor in Pearl Harbor. Need to be closer together.

Akagi. Need to put the LSO and deck crew on her.

Nice shot of the coast of Thailand on the morning of the invasion. I'm hoping that one of the Thai customers is so happy to be in a game that they send me a six-pack of Singha.

Decals and unit markings going onto the aircraft.

A pair of Mohawks on their way to Kaneohe Bay to fight.

Scene from Phil Rassmussen mission. We have made it harder to kill some planes and easier on some others. Holing a bomber with one bullet at a half a mile is not all that realistic. Pouring a full magazine into an airplane without getting a response is disappointing for the player...although not so rare in some cases.

Kaneohe is not built yet in this picture.

#3152165 - 04/14/10 06:37 PM Re: How will this Sim bee release? [Re: zerocinco]  
Colonel Kern Offline
Colonel Kern  Offline

But the basis is the SF1 engine, correct?

The Colonel

"They're not toys. They're collectables."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.