Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3151699 - 12/15/09 10:28 PM Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Rising Sun is the new series from the makers of Yankee Air Pirate.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3151700 - 12/16/09 03:35 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: citizen guod]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Maybe I had better explain since you went to the trouble to create this site, Doug.

Are there enough WWII flight sims? Probably too many. After IL-2, why bother?

We are going to bother. Yankee Air Pirate's business is story-telling. The area to be covered by Rising Sun (or Kyokujitsu in Japanese), is well-known history. Pearl Harbor. Doolittle. Midway. What's there to tell?

A lot.

(The pictures posted are preliminary and for demonstration only. They are not necessarily part of Rising Sun.)

...originally by Wolf.

In 1970, I read a book by John Toland called The Rising Sun. It told the story of the war in Asia and the Pacific in an even-handed way. That is not our goal. We just tell stories of pilots in the air. In Rising Sun...the game, the stories will lead the player into sitting in the places of Japanese, Chinese, British, Thai, Australian, Russian and American pilots. We think experiencing their missions, skills, fears and fates are things that are universally...or at least internationally...understandable. I think we all appreciate the bravery and skill of men at war in flying machines. I certainly do.

A glance at the list of participants reveals that now nobody on that list of combatants can today thrive without the help of almost everyone else. So we avoid politics and drama. All that is left are the stories.

We chose TK's engine for 3 reasons. First, our skills in that engine are fairly high. Second, TK's games do things with light that others do not do as well, in my opinion. And third, IL-2 and MSFS have mature games in this venue. While we are not competing for the same type of player, we do not need the confusion that would arise from us covering old ground in old sims.

...all ships by Hinchinbrooke.

We do not know how it will be marketed yet. We do know that we will release the stories in chronological order. That means right now we are awaiting the HMS Repulse and the HMS Prince of Wales. We have Battleship Row and Kido Butai.

I can understand why people would avoid this topic like poison. All our assets are going into a fleet that will either be sunk or remodeled or lost at Midway in the next phased release.

Our aircraft and ships will be new and of a level of detail where our players will not have to ignore all those great screenshots coming from IL-2 forums.

...original Yankee Air Pirate P-40B.

We will do our best to provide a believable environment. Each engine has its compromises. Our choice has a limited terrain editor. Luckily we have the most talented terrain editor hammering away at the furnace up in the mountain right now. When Deuces says it's ready to go...

Banzai.

(mppd's land bomb No. 80)

#3151701 - 12/16/09 07:47 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: zerocinco]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Interesting. Will have to keep an eye on it's development! smile

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#3151702 - 12/16/09 08:36 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Boom]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Definately keep me in the loop. This stuff is right up my alley. Grandfather served on the USS Lexington in 1941-1942 and my wife's granddad was on the USS California (Nice Tennesee class btw).

Should be some really enjoyable stuff.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#3151703 - 12/16/09 11:45 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Wklink]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Nice!

I believe Rising Sun will require one of Thirdwire titles?

#3151704 - 12/16/09 01:05 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: _michal]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Nice news! Actually I have three questions:

1- The first one is the same as empeck's question: Will it require one of the Thirdwire titles?

2- Will it include a "real" campaign? (I actually like Thirdwire's campaign system a lot)

3- Will it have multiplayer?

#3151705 - 12/16/09 03:33 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: ricnunes]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
empeck: It will run on Strikefighters patched up to the most current level. We might also provide versions to run on any Thirdwire title. The idea is to allow new people the cheapest way in.

ricnunes: 2. We won't have Campaigns. We try to stick to choreographing exactly what happened up to a point before letting the player go to his own fate. The whole add-on is a campaign, I guess...tied to the time line of history.

3. Nope. Sorry. Too much modification for Thirdwire's multiplayer capabilities. If anyone wants to tackle that, get in touch. We will help it happen. Right now we have 30 planes to paint.

#3151706 - 12/16/09 04:56 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: ricnunes]  
MetalMania Offline
MetalMania  Offline

Rhode Island, USA
It's not really my place to answer, but I would expect Rising Sun to follow the same model as Yankee Air Pirate 2 for WOV. Meaning yes it will probably require one of the 2nd gen Thirdwire titles, no it will probably not contain a campaign in the sense of Thirdwire's semi-dynamic campaign engine, and no to multiplayer since the 2nd Gen games don't support it. If that sounds like it will scare you off, and if you haven't played YAP2 - don't run away. As zerocinco said, the YAP team doesn't really do "campaigns" in a traditional sense but they create individual missions based on the accounts of pilots who were really there. So each mission is like flying a part of an individial pilot's history. I'm not a YAP2 pro, I haven't gotten through all of the 1st mission pack yet (real life just keeps eating into my sim time along with other interests, but winter's coming!). But I will say the Yankee Air Pirate missions I have played are very, very good. I like playing TW campaign missions, but they get pretty repetetive (which is probably true of real combat missions, but we're playing a game here and we want the exciting stuff, yes?). YAP missions might not be part of a one pilot/squadron ongoing campaign, but they feel more immersive and a lot "richer" I would say.

Again, zerocinco or someone else from YAP will have the absolute answers to your questions but I would think they will follow the model of what they have done with YAP2 in Wings Over Vietnam. It's unique, the addon objects and scenery enhancements are top notch, and they do what they say - tell you the story. If Rising Sun is successful, I hope they do some European and other theater WWII stuff. And Korean War. Ok I'm dreaming now.

Edit: there you go! Started writing this before and posted after the official response.

Last edited by MetalMania; 12/16/09 05:05 PM.

You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down on every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life. - Admiral Benson, Hot Shots
#3151707 - 12/17/09 04:25 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: MetalMania]  
miamieagle Offline
miamieagle  Offline

When will it bee release and is it another arcade Simulator or a serious semi realistic Sim representing the whole of the Pacafic Theater.

I hope its another realistic Sim. We have more than our share of Arcade Sims available already.

#3151708 - 12/17/09 04:53 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: miamieagle]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Nice looking silver plane biggrin

Sorry my knowledge of pre-WW2 aircraft is lacking.

Dons armored vest and kevlar in preparation for the elitist who will no doubt flame the flight models. ready

#3151709 - 12/17/09 10:56 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Stormtrooper]  
allenjb Offline
allenjb  Offline

Well I'm definitely interested. Can you confirm if this for the first or second generation games please?

Allen
#3151710 - 12/18/09 12:39 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: allenjb]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Second.*

Still know how to paint?

*Currently it is being built on SF1 patched up to Oct 08 (we wanted AI and shadows). It will run on Vista and Windows 7. But since we are starting all this from scratch, we can do whichever way makes the most sense. We cannot keep up with everything TK does and will not try.

***********CORRECTION********************

At this time there is no advantage to go to second generation that I can see. Certainly Microsoft is going to force XP out as soon as they can but SF Gold Patched to 08 does everything we want to do. There are thousands of owners of SF1 and fewer owners of SF2. I think we will shoot for the wide spot.

Last edited by zerocinco; 12/18/09 04:21 AM.
#3151711 - 12/19/09 05:54 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Stormtrooper]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
Nice looking silver plane biggrin

Sorry my knowledge of pre-WW2 aircraft is lacking.

Dons armored vest and kevlar in preparation for the elitist who will no doubt flame the flight models. ready

Storm, the first aircraft was the Curtis P-36 Hawk. It was the precurser to the famous P-40 Tomahawk. It was a nice plane but it was outdated by the beginning of the war. It saw service at Oahu and in the Phillipines and was used by the British and the Dutch against the Japanese. Second is a P-40B Tomahawk, the prominent front line fighter of the US Army Air Corps in 1941. The paint scheme doesn't look correct for Pearl in 1941 but the model looks pretty good.

Battleship Row is particularly impressive. One of the things that I didn't like about Pacific Fighters was the relative lack of ship classes in the game. Will the UTAH be there? In it's training ship form? The fact that you are modeling (correctly mind you) the Pennyslvania, Nevada, Tennessee, and Colorado Classes is very impressive. If you can model the Yorktown, Lexington and Wasp classes it will be even more impressive. Put some torpedo bombers in there (Devestators and Kates) and we will be yours.

I am very interested in this game so far.

#3151712 - 12/19/09 08:30 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Wklink]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
The Utah, right now, is a plug-in. It was the first ship struck and took maybe 9 torpedoes even though the pilots had been briefed to not go after it. But doing it would delay release. Done are the BB's and 4 of the Japanese carriers. Akagi and Kaga will arrive next Wednesday. Repulse is done and Prince of Wales started before Christmas got in the way. It was our choice to put both Royal Navy ships in the episode since they were both within sight of each other. That choice delayed the G3M that will sink them.

When Phase Two goes out, it will include Saratoga, Hornet, Wasp, Yorktown and Enterprise. (Ranger, Lexington later) The TBD is a most important part of Midway so they will be flown by the player. Japanese carriers will add Ryujo, Hiyo, Junyo and Zuiho.

The Kate is already done as it's needed for Pearl Harbor. The Pearl Harbor scene will be milked for all we can get out of it without boring the player. I think we have 3 missions from the first wave, 4 from the second and two US missions (P-36A 15th Pursuit and P-40B in Army brown 45th Pursuit). Then it will be a lot like Thanksgiving turkey carcass. We are done with it.

The players, will be able to fly more than our missions. All they need to do is read a little history then go back and find the ship. Everything is sinkable except the main targets and they have their own Destroyed Models based upon photos. Everything can be destroyed but the trees.

Which takes us back to the Utah....so, probably not...but there will be a ship there if you want to disobey orders and stick one into it.

#3151713 - 12/19/09 08:47 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: zerocinco]  
8 L.E.I.N. Offline
8 L.E.I.N.  Offline

Detroit, Michigan USA
Funny you should mention the Kate, Tom. Been ripping apart the pit and testing. This model was our beta.
She flys really nice. Maybe too nice. Oh, and by the way there is AAA on those BB's.

#3151714 - 12/19/09 08:09 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: 8 L.E.I.N.]  
tahoman Offline
tahoman  Offline

Spanaway, WA
Looks fantastic so far! Can't wait for this to come out.

#3151715 - 12/19/09 10:58 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: tahoman]  
miamieagle Offline
miamieagle  Offline

When will it bee release and is it another arcade Simulator or a serious semi realistic Sim representing the whole of the Pacafic Theater.

I hope its another realistic Sim. We have more than our share of Arcade Sims available already.

You still have not answer my questions!

I"am sorry you gave me a answer already here in this post!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2923065/2.html

Last edited by miamieagle; 12/19/09 11:04 PM.
#3151716 - 12/20/09 06:04 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: miamieagle]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Very cool.

Part of the reason the Utah took so many torps was because she was in a spot normally used by a carrier. Add to that the fact that the ship had all of her 12 inchers removed and heavy planking placed on her deck (she was a target ship for dummy bombs). Part of the reason she rolled over so fast was because of that heavy planking.

From the air she looked somewhat like a carrier. Some pilots claimed they sank a carrier at Pearl, most think it was the misidentification of the Utah. Nagumo knew better though.

The Americans were darned lucky there. The Enterprise was due back the morning of the 7th but was delayed due to wind. If she had arrived on time she might have steamed right into the attack.

Thanks for the update. This is looking to be the most highly detailed Pacific simulation every created. I can't wait to trap on the Enterprise. It has been a dream of mine. What fighter models are you putting out for the Americans? I'm assuming F4F3s and F2As will be modeled but will we see P26s? Hows about some PBY's? I would love some Black Cat missions.

#3151717 - 12/20/09 06:42 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Wklink]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Well, first, Hinch pulled the guns off a passable stand-in for the Utah. After repaint, it will pass if you squint. Hopefully, all you will see is a lot of explosions and a keel. No time to do her justice.

We thought about the P-26 for accuracy but it's just a dog. For lovers of the obsolete, we have the Hawk 75N in Thailand. The F4F's will come in on Phase Two unless we do Wake Island. For now, Phase One non-Japanese list (completed and otherwise) is:

P-36A
P-40B
Hawk 75N
F2A
B-17
Hurricane
PBY...might delay to Phase Two, will land on water, and we have a sub surfaced and submerged for it. And the sub fires a torpedo that sinks ships in a big way.

But I think you want to know about Phase Two. They would be:

B-25
B-24
TBD
SBD
TBF
F4F
P-40E

#3151718 - 12/20/09 07:18 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: zerocinco]  
Wklink Offline
Wklink  Offline
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
That looks fine for flyables. For Midway you may want to consider (time willing) B-26Bs, they were there at Midway and were actually did a torpedo attack on the Imperial Fleet. The B25 would be great out of Port Moresby of course. The KittyHawk should be an easy mod from the P40B Model.

Utah should look fine with a redo of the Colorado Class. The Nevada and Pennsylvania class had that tripod mast so they looked acutally more mordern than the newer Tennessee or Colorado Class. The front cage mast could be kept and remove the rear cage and take the guns off. Granted the Utah had a center turret but only pinheads like me would know that kind of worthless information.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.