Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 74 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 73 74
#3135576 - 11/12/10 02:26 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Skip]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Originally Posted By: Skip
I have a question does the Warthog come with a driver disk other than Target?

The Warthog has plug-and-play drivers and is automatically detected by Windows. There are no dedicated drivers to install. T.A.R.G.E.T. is only for programming, not for drivers.

Quote:
I have an old cougar and target wont recognise the throttle at all (it doesnt show up in target)just the cougars joystick
The "Cougar" as an entity recognized by T.A.R.G.E.T. is the Cougar joystick, Cougar throttle, and any connected rudder pedals. There is nothing wrong with T.A.R.G.E.T., your computer, or your Cougar in this regard.

Remember, the Cougar is a single controller with a single USB connection. You can't plug the Cougar throttle in alone like you can the Warthog throttle. Therefore T.A.R.G.E.T. sees all parts of the Cougar as a single controller (just like your sims do).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3135602 - 11/12/10 03:23 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Villicus Offline
Villicus  Offline

Lafayette, LA.
Finally got mine! No. 797 showed up on my doorstep today. Yeah, it is worth every penny so far.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
#3135681 - 11/12/10 07:00 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Squid_DK Offline
Jack of all trades
Squid_DK  Offline
Jack of all trades

Copenhagen, Denmark
Guess mine was one of the older Warthogs then I have #00297

Staffan

I've been behind before and still managed to loose
#3135781 - 11/12/10 01:07 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Skip Offline
Skip  Offline

Texas
Joe? then why is his throttle non functional?TM is saying its firmware and it needs up dating, Im just wondering in case mine craps out(when it finally gets here)its been my experience that TMs harware is usually not the issue but their software, anyone remember the blown pots(throttle) after a new firmware update with the cougar...........

#3135866 - 11/12/10 02:43 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Skip]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Joe? then why is his throttle non functional?TM is saying its firmware and it needs up dating
I don't know why the throttle isn't working, and clearly there is something going on there. Regardless, no one needs you to spread misinformation.

T.A.R.G.E.T. does not have drivers without which the HOTAS Warthog won't work. T.A.R.G.E.T. is not supposed to see a Cougar throttle separate from a Cougar joystick. Period.

#3135889 - 11/12/10 03:02 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Joe]  
Skip Offline
Skip  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: Joe
Joe? then why is his throttle non functional?TM is saying its firmware and it needs up dating
I don't know why the throttle isn't working, and clearly there is something going on there. Regardless, no one needs you to spread misinformation.

T.A.R.G.E.T. does not have drivers without which the HOTAS Warthog won't work. T.A.R.G.E.T. is not supposed to see a Cougar throttle separate from a Cougar joystick. Period.

I understand about the throttle and I bow to youre expertese in this matter Joe, but I would definitely get rid of target to troubleshoot an issue with the throttle he is describing , Im not Trying to spread disinformation(I plead some ignorance) But TM themselves have said its a firmware issue is firmware not part of Target?Just trying to understand what is going on so if I get the same issue I will know how to remedy ,it seems to me your bein a bit touchy about this subject?Either way I will monitor this and all threads pertaining to the reliability of this new HOTAS(rather expensive) as I have spent my hard earned cash on one JOE

Last edited by Skip; 11/12/10 03:06 PM.
#3135899 - 11/12/10 03:09 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

I (strongly) suspect the issue of calling for a different "firmware" to recognize the Cougar's throttle is simply a language issue. They probably mean new software - a new version of TARGET.

If it were in fact "firmware" that would imply a need to alter the code on the Warthog stick (or throttle) in order to recognize the Cougar's throttle which is, not to put too fine a point on it, silly.

OTOH, it's possible his _Cougar_ needs its firmware updated in order to talk properly to TARGET. The firmware was updated at least once or twice over the life of the Cougar, after all. Maybe one version doesn't talk to TARGET properly.

If that's the case...remember to dig up the proper procedures from Cougarworld on flashing the Cougar...if you can't find 'em, ask here before updating the Cougar.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3135902 - 11/12/10 03:16 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Skip]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

But TM themselves have said its a firmware issue is firmware not part of Target?

No.

Firmware is code burned/flashed onto a chip in a device. TARGET does not program devices.

In the "old days", Foxy would write your compiled scripts to the Cougar and you could take that Cougar and plug it into a different computer and it would work exactly the same (provided the computer had Cougar drivers installed). Even that wasn't firmware.

Firmware is the code that says to Windows "Here I am! I'm a TM HOTAS Warthog Joystick! This is how much power I'll need, how often I'm going to send you position/button reports, etc." It's like the BIOS on your computer - the setup menus and such that control how the hardware works.

The computer in that case needed drivers that would allow it to switch the Cougar between axis mode/user mode, handle calibration, etc.

TARGET runs a Windows service that sits in the background and interprets directx status changes and presents them to Windows through its "virtual controller". If you execute a script and unplug the Warthog units, the script crashes. When you plug them into a different computer, they are simple directx device (until you run TARGET on that computer and execute a profile).

The Warthog uses default, comes-with-windows generic joystick devices. When TARGET takes over, it sets up a simulated controller that fits within Windows' understanding for axis/button configurations and anything you do outside "normal" joystick stuff gets sent through as keyboard processing.

Last edited by Teej; 11/12/10 03:20 PM.

#3135951 - 11/12/10 04:00 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Galwran Offline
Galwran  Offline

Turku, Finland, your six
Hi guys. Just got my TM Warthog smile

Is there a default profile for DCS Warthog that I could edit to fit my needs? I kinda would like to program some more complex functions in to it and starting from scratch might take a while

#3135957 - 11/12/10 04:04 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Skip Offline
Skip  Offline

Texas
Ok if thats true then why dont all warthog throttles have an issue with their firmware?(just trying to understand here)could it be something about his particular OS? very good explanation Teej this helps me understand,I was reading in the SimHQ review that Target needs MS net framework to work?and is included in the Target package could this be a source for issues?Teej this is all about a nonfunctioning warthog throttle that at first worked fine then quit functioning at all and the guy thats having issue contacted TM and they stated it was a firmware issue and a new firmware update is on the way this is not about my cougar I have a warthog on order and am concerned and curious about this issue and all reported issue with this new (and rather expensive)HOTAS now I know that with all products of this nature your gonna have a certain percentage of customers who create their own problems(not reading the directions comes to mind)if this is an isolated issue great...........

Last edited by Skip; 11/12/10 04:16 PM.
#3135972 - 11/12/10 04:20 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Galwran]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

Originally Posted By: Galwran
Hi guys. Just got my TM Warthog smile

Is there a default profile for DCS Warthog that I could edit to fit my needs? I kinda would like to program some more complex functions in to it and starting from scratch might take a while

To answer your question, no there isn't a profile for DCS-A10C. Again, the stick is plug and play with DCS A-10C. The Sim sees the Warthog controller and automatically assigns the correct commands to it. If you want to build a profile, you would have to use TARGET and that will break the plug and play option in DCS. The default sim HOTAS controls works great, everything you need in the heat of the moment is right there on the HOTAS and is based off the A-10C.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3135989 - 11/12/10 04:36 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Feed Offline
Feed  Offline

Thanks, Peten ... I tried the buttons-held reconnect, also with no luck. One of the techs I spoke to said they'll "check to see if the new firmware is available".

Skip - no driver disk, but it's not a TARGET issue. Really, TARGET and the Warthog are different beasts. TARGET allows you to combine the Warthog stick & throttle (along with other TM controllers) into a single virtual device, and allows for some flexible programming options. You can use the Warthog without needing to touch TARGET.

#3136004 - 11/12/10 05:09 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Skip]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Ok if thats true then why dont all warthog throttles have an issue with their firmware?(just trying to understand here)could it be something about his particular OS? very good explanation Teej this helps me understand,I was reading in the Simhq review that Target needs MS net framework to work?and is included in the Target package could this be a source for issues?Teej this is all about a nonfunctioning warthog throttle that at first worked fine then quit functioning at all and the guy thats having issue contacted TM and they stated it was a firmware issue and a new firmware update is on the way this is not about my cougar I have a warthog on order and am concerned and curious about this issue and all reported issue with this new (and rather expensive)hotas now I know that with all products of this nature your gonna have a certain percentage of customers who create their own problems(not reading the directions comes to mind)if this is an isolated issue great...........

If you use proper capitalization and punctuation it will be a lot easier to read and comprehend your posts.

If you are so concerned about a particular issue then perhaps a separate thread is the best way to handle it.

#3136035 - 11/12/10 05:36 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Skip]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Ok if thats true then why dont all warthog throttles have an issue with their firmware?(just trying to understand here)could it be something about his particular OS?

There's a couple of different things here...one is a few WH throttles have failed (after initially working). No real way to say what's causing that. TM is hoping that this new firmware flash will help those units. Since firmware is erasable memory, sometimes it will get corrupted or wiped unintentionally. Happened to me once or twice with my Cougar, with my computer's CMOS setup, etc. etc.

The second issue I've seen is 1-2 people saying they couldn't get TARGET to recognize their Cougar throttles. This is where I said a flash of the firmware on the Cougar may be necessary (again, not being a TM insider and not having seen the problem first hand, I don't really know).

Is it an "isoloated" problem? I sure think so. Any time you start making things, you're going to have a few failures. Look at the xbox 360...I seem to recall reading that like 50% of owners had had the "red ring of death" with their 360. Where do you think a good chunk of "reburb" ipods and such come from? Sure, some people bought and changed their minds, but often they are units that failed shortly out of the box and were repaired.

There's supposedly a couple of thousand Warthogs out there (MTFDarkeagle got one near SN2500). There's ~ 100 posts in the forum over on the ED forums making a "SN database"...and I'm sure not everyone on the forum with a Warthog has submitted to the thread. A high percentage of the Warthogs sold are probably to members of the fora here and at eagle.ru. To have a handfull (5-10) of owners with failures isn't unreasonable. Unfortunate for those it happens to, but electronics do sometimes fail quickly. Happens in every product. Pick your favorite product, something that's never given you trouble. Google for problems with said gadget and you'll probably find plenty.

Last edited by Teej; 11/12/10 05:37 PM.

#3136046 - 11/12/10 05:54 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Skip]  
peten Offline
peten  Offline

UK
I know that with all products of this nature your gonna have a certain percentage of customers who create their own problems(not reading the directions comes to mind)if this is an isolated issue great...........

just thought i'd clarify as I'd be quite happy to follow thrustmasters directions if they actually provided any. The manual that comes with the warthog contains no installation instructions whatsoever, however I am quite capable of installing an HID device and the inference that this is user error is unhelpful.

unlike the cougar the warthog throttle and joystick are actually two separate devices with their own usb connections and their own firmware which when installed talk to each other.As has been said the installation of the warthog doesn't require target and uses windows (whatever version) own human interface drivers and then functions as a direct x device.

For info I have tried to install the throttle on two other computers one of which did not have target installed. Windows still sees the device but is unable to talk to it properly which leads me to believe it is the throttle at fault and not any individual computer. Why this has affected a small number of throttles and not others I can't say, but it may be what is already set up on an individual pc (windows carries out a large number of processes in the background that the average user is not even aware of including usb port prioritisation).

I'm still waiting for thrustmaster to email me with a firmware update so will reserve judgement on whether this actually fixes the problem until i've tried it and I have a fully working throttle.

I have to say thrustmaster technical support in the UK were a pleasure to deal with and were nothing but completely helpful.

My throttle is #133 just for info.

pete

#3136051 - 11/12/10 06:03 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Joe]  
Skip Offline
Skip  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: Joe
Ok if thats true then why dont all warthog throttles have an issue with their firmware?(just trying to understand here)could it be something about his particular OS? very good explanation Teej this helps me understand,I was reading in the Simhq review that Target needs MS net framework to work?and is included in the Target package could this be a source for issues?Teej this is all about a nonfunctioning warthog throttle that at first worked fine then quit functioning at all and the guy thats having issue contacted TM and they stated it was a firmware issue and a new firmware update is on the way this is not about my cougar I have a warthog on order and am concerned and curious about this issue and all reported issue with this new (and rather expensive)hotas now I know that with all products of this nature your gonna have a certain percentage of customers who create their own problems(not reading the directions comes to mind)if this is an isolated issue great...........

If you use proper capitalization and punctuation it will be a lot easier to read and comprehend your posts.

If you are so concerned about a particular issue then perhaps a separate thread is the best way to handle it.
\\

Im SLIGHTLY concerned with getting a bad unit would rather be able to repair it myself rather than send it back if at all possible ,Also Im not completely convinced its impossible for Target to corrupt the firmware in the warthog,especially if not used properly, but Im not by any means an expert on this subject matter but Im learning biggrin

Last edited by Skip; 11/12/10 06:04 PM.
#3136053 - 11/12/10 06:03 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
peten Offline
peten  Offline

UK
Thought I'd chip in about the issue some users are having with TARGET not recognising their cougar throttle. I thought this as well until I actualy tried to program with TARGET. To see the cougar throttle you have to edit a congiguration and theres a slider at the bottom of the page that flips between controllers including the cougar stick and throttle. I thought at first it was a button but you have to click hold and drag the slider. until you get to that screen you won't see the cougar throttle.

#3136063 - 11/12/10 06:09 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: peten]  
Skip Offline
Skip  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: peten
Thought I'd chip in about the issue some users are having with TARGET not recognising their cougar throttle. I thought this as well until I actualy tried to program with TARGET. To see the cougar throttle you have to edit a congiguration and theres a slider at the bottom of the page that flips between controllers including the cougar stick and throttle. I thought at first it was a button but you have to click hold and drag the slider. until you get to that screen you won't see the cougar throttle.

Thanx peten, after being one of the unlucky ones that had pots destroyed(cougar throttle) from a TM firmware update Im weary of TMs software to say the least although it was my own fault not thuroughly reading up beforehand before updating the firmware. biggrin

Last edited by Skip; 11/12/10 06:10 PM.
#3136123 - 11/12/10 07:20 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Skip]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Im not completely convinced its impossible for Target to corrupt the firmware in the warthog

Please don't take this as condescending, because I know it's going to sound that way and I honestly don't mean it that way...

You're not convinced because you haven't seen how it works and don't own the product.

I _am_ completely convinced that TARGET, at least as it exists today, cannot corrupt the firmware (Though I see a post about a new TARGET out...don't know if it's the one that I've had for a week or so now or not). Someday they'll be putting in functionality to control the LEDs, supposedly, but at this point in time, TARGET does not write _anything_ to the stick or throttle units, and therefore cannot corrupt them.

#3136130 - 11/12/10 07:24 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
CubPilot Offline
CubPilot  Offline

Upstate NY, USA
This, just in!

Another HOTAS Warthog has been abducted abducted today at 12:52am from BLT's Pa. warehouse.

After gathering the facts of this case it has been determined that it was last seen heading for Upstate New York. It also appears to be coming to me, boing !!

I'm ready for it, got TM MFD's, added monitors behind them and got them working with DCS A-10C Beta2. I'm just finishing up a small desktop instrument panel to house the MFD's & monitors. whoohoodancinfools ...YEAH BABY! yeah Ready for takeoff!....pilot

Those that ordered from BLT don't give up yet.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a FedEx delivery truck to track down! exitstageleft

Sometime later at the FedEx truck: "Give it to me...GIVE IT TO ME !!" attack

www.cubpilotshangar.net
Home of the Cougar + HS Hall Sensor Mods!
Page 60 of 74 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 73 74

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.