Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#312153 - 08/09/05 12:41 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
Craigmire Offline
Craigmire  Offline

Colorado
Quote:
Tip: edit the FORMCOMP file in the common /data folder
Nice find Rocky. The longer I played EECH the more I preferred the Apache.

Quote:
Why do you guys hate the Commanche so?
I thought the Apache was easier to fly and went almost as fast. The thing I disliked the most about the Comanche was the sweet sounding voice saying "Your Flying Too Fast" two nanoseconds before I blew up. This would invariably happen right after I finally shoot down some pesky jets that were trying to ruin my day after a perfect mission.

"There is nothing wrong with laziness. The old saying 'The early bird gets the worm', just goes to show you the worm should have stayed in bed. So, when I volunteered for WW II, I signed up to be a fighter pilot because it was a sittin' down job." -- Robert Heinlein
#312154 - 08/09/05 03:54 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
Smokin256 Offline
Smokin256  Offline

Sandy, Or. USA
You boys can have my Comanchee when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
\:D

Cheers.......Smokin256
#312155 - 08/09/05 04:51 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
Moje Offline
Moje  Offline

Sweden
I agree with you Smokin'
Every gunship has it's advantages and IMHO the Comanche is far better frying SAMs and paving the way for a strike than the Apache. On the other hand, once the SAMs are out of the way, an Apache is far better wrecking the site the SAMs was protecting.

#312156 - 08/09/05 05:47 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
rocky Offline
rocky  Offline

...parts unknown, way unknown....
Simulation - the technique of representing the real world by a computer program.

"The real world" did not want the Commanche and has such became an 'extinct bird' so to speak. The only place your going to see it these days is in a museum - a victim of 'new' Army aviation doctrine.

So being the true combat helicopter simulation enthusiast that i am, my logic lends me to pursue as much realism as possible. For me, this involves removing The Commanche from the EECH battlefield and refocusing on the Apache in all it's variants.

To each their own though..

#312157 - 08/09/05 06:54 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

Enschede, The Netherlands
simulation, the technique representing any world in a computer program. In the real world it is very unlikely that the Lebanese people are equiped as a Russian army attacking the US who has invaded their country...

anyway

here is a link to dumptextures.exe based on the code provided by Tamlin a while ago. (right click save as). This file unpacks textures.bin to a directory bitmaps, that is created as subdir to where you are. If a file contains alpha levels they are saved as separate textures with the indication "sa" for single alpha and "ma" for multiple alpha. These are indications for black and white and grey scales. Also a text file is made textureinfo.txt that has all the info such as mipmap levels. The mipmap levels are not saved to separate files and ignored.
syntax is:
dumptextures fullpath\textures.bin

dumptextures.exe

about MFDs, symbols (arrows, triagles etc) are created directly in the code, the FLIR is just the pilots view in BW and smaller, the TSD is based on the terrain map .... what else...

didn't see anything in the bitmaps looking like MFD stuff

#312158 - 08/09/05 07:00 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
rocky Offline
rocky  Offline

so if these textures are dumped can they be used once edited....is the seperate alpha layer on extraction usable?

..tried the program but it errors out with failed to start because CC3260MT.DLL was not found...

i have no idea how to compile stuff -if that is required

#312159 - 08/09/05 07:50 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

sorry will recompile. I think the last eech version should just read dds files that are alpha blended. In other words if you have a texture and a matching alpha level put them together in a dds file and that should work...

download it again from the link above, does it work now?

textureinfo.txt gives you information on which textures have mipmap levels and alpha blending.

yep it works. just replaced the round tree with a pine tree! the dds file must be have ARGB format 32bit (with dxtex no problem)

#312160 - 08/09/05 08:25 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
rocky Offline
rocky  Offline

awsome ..pine trees...now multiple textures on same model.

still does not work..

#312161 - 08/09/05 08:28 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

if you place them with the terrain textures, you can at least have a different tree type per warzone.

Rocky, about the yemen textures, you gave me a cool set of textures, if you can add the rest that is necessary (fields and so on) we can release a yemen pack. Maybe resample the textures to 1024x1024 for the lower end cards instead of 2048x2048. I'll keep my yemen textures for a revamp of the lebanon stuff I think.

#312162 - 08/09/05 08:49 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks for the tip, Rocky! That should help. And Pharoah1, thank you for encouraging us to try the Comanche. While I have in fact done so and do not much like it, I appreciate your enthusiastic attempt to help us expand our simming experiences.

Happy flying, all.

#312163 - 08/09/05 09:32 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
creeper Offline
creeper  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pharoah1:
I don't really hate the Commanche, just that after only flying Commanche I tried out the Apache and found it much more suited to my needs than the Commanche. It's more in the "feel" of the helo, I "feel" more comfortable in the Apache.

#312164 - 08/10/05 12:42 AM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
rocky Offline
rocky  Offline

Gotcha, will do...i cannot seem to find any field textures in yemen while flying..how about you?he tree .dds textures ..save me from looking.

oh can you send me

does the ARGB work for any textures?..can we make the polygon forest transparent?

#312165 - 08/10/05 08:43 AM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

you're probably right about the fields. I'll dump a list of textures used for Yemen tonight.

there are two alpha blended tree textures:
the side: GREY_TERRAIN_TREE_CROSS (which I changed to a pine shape)
and the horizontal: GREY_TERRAIN_TREE_OBJECT
which gets draped over the top to give the tree a roundish shape. For the pinetree I simply replaced this one with a blank texture.

note that alpha in eech means that white is blocked and black is transparent!

there are also palm trees somewhere, haven't looked for them yet

the ARGB works for any texture, but the game will not always do something with it. There is nothing under the forest so making it transparent in parts just gives you white

this is off topic, sorry for that

#312166 - 08/10/05 07:56 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
rocky Offline
rocky  Offline

can you email me the textures any way...having display issues...

#312167 - 08/10/05 08:09 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
Smokin256 Offline
Smokin256  Offline

Sandy, Or. USA
Rocky wrote;
"Simulation - the technique of representing the real world by a computer program.

"The real world" did not want the Commanche and has such became an 'extinct bird' so to speak. The only place your going to see it these days is in a museum - a victim of 'new' Army aviation doctrine.

So being the true combat helicopter simulation enthusiast that i am, my logic lends me to pursue as much realism as possible. For me, this involves removing The Commanche from the EECH battlefield and refocusing on the Apache in all it's variants.

To each their own though.."

I can certainly see our point. And I know it doesn't matter since we can each taylor the game to our own liking. But just to keep the discussion on track. \:\)
My point of view is that this sim aims to simulate the imediate future of Helicopter combat as of 1999.. And at that time the comanche was poised to become the most advanced and most deadly front line combat Helo ever. So imho from that perspective the Comanche definetly belongs here. After all would you refuse to drive the BRM, Brabham or Eagle in Grand Prix Legends because those marquise don't exist anymore? Or refuse to play F1 2001 because it doesn't model the 2005 season acurately?

This whole discussion brings up an interesting point though. And one I hadn't thought of before. If a developer were to take EECH & run with it like Shockwave is doing with Rowans Battle of Britain & B-17 the mighty eigth or like someone did with falcon 4. Would a game based on the Comanche fly in this day & age? My guess is it wouldn't. I think the developers in that case would have to shift the focus to the Apache. Maybe even replace the Comanche with the Eurocopter Tiger or Mangusta

Cheers.......Smokin256
#312168 - 08/10/05 10:02 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

sorry, ignore me, just off topic again
Roxky: get it here
[URL= http://webdisk.planet.nl/jette073/publiek/album/bitmaps.rar]bitmaps.rar[/URL]

not all of them, some textures seem to be 'reserved' whatever that means

and on-topic: I sure would like to see the European choppers in there. After all the comanche was far enough developed to get some of it right, I mean its not a science fiction machine. Have some smooth flying chopper doesn't ruin the game for me. The apache is a flying bathtub and doen't hold any special attraction for me.
My guess is that if anyone would bring out a serious heli sim, LB3 or EECH2, people would buy it, even with a Commanche.

#312169 - 08/10/05 10:42 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep in mind the only thing missing in Comanche was American tax-payer dollars. It's still a formidible war-machine and quaterback on the battlefield.

I can't imagine the work needed to add this but: many of the redistributed funds from comanche are going into armed recon heli UAV's controlled by a host apache pilot. Imagine checking over the next hill with a very cost effective little robot then unleashing hellfire without ever seeing the other side for yourself. Comanche costs billions but a mass-produced robot is practically nothing.

The UAVs are controlled by the pilot but fully capable on it's own. Could the EECH engine handle a drone attached to a host chopper? Perhaps a secondary FLIR screen from it's point of view? At very least it could be under wingman commands and still realistic enough.

#312170 - 08/12/05 12:52 AM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
Viking1-1 Offline
Viking1-1  Offline

Houston, TX
You damn right there's interest! I always felt the Comanche was overhyped anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigmire:
This Comanche elimination sounds like an interesting idea. I kinda like the Apaches better myself and wonder if there are many other Apache fans out there?

I looked in the program and it's a trivial 3 line hack to change all the Comanches to Apaches generated at the farps during the startup of a new campaign. I imagine you could set it up for on/off and maybe even a selection of heli ratios in the ini file. There is a check for RAH-66's called VALID_GUNSHIP_TYPE, without which you lose the campaign. You can add AH64D as a VALID_GUNSHIP_TYPE with one line. Three lines will change the chopper select screen from Comanche to Apache if you're really serious about this. I made a test exec with these changes and started a modified .chc so at the start I didn't have a single Comanche. After 10 hours of real-time running I had 80 Apaches and - get ready - 12 Comanches randomly mixed into the groups. This could probably be stopped too but maybe it's a good idea to go ahead and use up the discontinued models. Send 'em on risky missions if you like.

Looking at the program I also discovered another approach you can take. In the .chc file there's a variable called something like FRONTLINE_FORCES that's normally set to 10. If you change that to 0 (zero) then there won't be any helis placed at the farps during start-up. The downside is you don't get any ground forces either. This variable is side specific so you could keep the ground forces for the enemy and eliminate your own. I tried this and within a minute of starting a new campaign I started getting transfer missions to the farps. I don't know but suspect you may be able to also increase the ground forces, to a limit, by increasing the FRONTLINE_FORCES variable.

I don't think any of the code changes would affect MP because they don't remove the Comanche from the game only the new campaign initialization. I tried the test exec with an old saved game full of Comanches with no problem.

Well, it looks to me like it could be done if there's an interest.

#312171 - 08/12/05 01:01 AM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
Viking1-1 Offline
Viking1-1  Offline

Houston, TX
I'm with you! The Apache is also more rugged.

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigmire:
Quote:
Tip: edit the FORMCOMP file in the common /data folder
Nice find Rocky. The longer I played EECH the more I preferred the Apache.

Quote:
I thought the Apache was easier to fly and went almost as fast. The thing I disliked the most about the Comanche was the sweet sounding voice saying "Your Flying Too Fast" two nanoseconds before I blew up. This would invariably happen right after I finally shoot down some pesky jets that were trying to ruin my day after a perfect mission.

#312172 - 08/13/05 05:51 PM Re: Eliminating the Comanche  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Okay, Rocky. I followed your advice, and indeed, all Comanches disappear (and all enemy gunships are Hinds!). However, after a few minutes, I get the ol' Campaign Lost screen, because of the loss of assets, meaning the Comanche.

How do we work around that?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.